Is 10:15 too early of a flight if docking at 7:am ?

OceanFantasys

I have checked with the airlines and the only 2 flights i have to choose from back to Dallas would be a 10:15 or a 4:30 from Ft. Lauderdale.. The later one sounds like sitting around in the airport for the entire day and the first one seems to be really cutting it close if we get off of the ship in time.

We are staying in the Renaisancce on 17th st.I thought they had a shuttle but do not so will have to get a cab from airport to take us. I also thought they take us to the pier but no such luck. another cab.. On the return home we would like to find a hotel by the docks that we can stay in for one more night and hopefully have a shuttle going to the airport. I almost want to book the Renaissance again but that sure seems like lots of taxi trips.

Some have made the 10:15 flight from FLL. For me, I wouldn't chance it. I have had the ship delayed into FLL a few times plus have had immigration hold up people leaving the ship and if I would have had that flight, I would have missed it.

I have checked with the airlines and the only 2 flights i have to choose from back to Dallas would be a 10:15 or a 4:30 from Ft. Lauderdale.. The later one sounds like sitting around in the airport for the entire day and the first one seems to be really cutting it close if we get off of the ship in time.

We are staying in the Renaisancce on 17th st.I thought they had a shuttle but do not so will have to get a cab from airport to take us. I also thought they take us to the pier but no such luck. another cab.. On the return home we would like to find a hotel by the docks that we can stay in for one more night and hopefully have a shuttle going to the airport. I almost want to book the Renaissance again but that sure seems like lots of taxi trips.

I would not cut this so close, but what airline are you checking with. For example, I'm not sure what date you are returing from Fort Lauderdale to Dallas Fort Worth but I just checked the American Airlines site for a flight in early February and there are several flights back to Dallas throughout the day. You might want to look at that web site as I see additional flights at 11:55, 1:40, etc.

Keith

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Ft. Lauderdale(on 17th I believe). It is comfortable and clean, not lavish. Complimentary breakfast and shuttle service to and from the Port and airport.

There is not much to do in the immediate area, a Publix market, a little shopping center (found a nice Deli hidden away). It is also a short walk to catch the water taxi. The water taxi is a neat excursion in itself and will get you to a number of shopping and dining areas.

Charlie

I almost want to book the Renaissance again but that sure seems like lots of taxi trips.

But they are relatively short trips. Airport to the Renaissance will probably be a little less than $15, then the same on return. From hotel to the pier, probably about $10. The cruise line transfers are probably $15 to $20 per person, each way. By staying the extra day, you wouldn't have to rush to the airport. You could take your time getting off the ship, check in at the hotel, and then maybe taking the water taxi.

I would not cut this so close, but what airline are you checking with. For example, I'm not sure what date you are returing from Fort Lauderdale to Dallas Fort Worth but I just checked the American Airlines site for a flight in early February and there are several flights back to Dallas throughout the day. You might want to look at that web site as I see additional flights at 11:55, 1:40, etc.

Keith

I'm actually in the same situation and many of the AA flights the day I'm flying back are already booked solid, leaving me with a similiar choice. But I'm one that has missed an early flight home after a cruise before so I don't risk it - and I can't do the self disembark option. I'm planning on going to the beach or doing an excursion and then going to the airport.

We stayed 1 night before our cruise at the Holiday Inn Express SR84, not much around it but we found it to be very clean, quite new with a very helpful staff (something that seems to be in short supply at many FLL hotels). You can check with the hotel but I believe that they will pick you up at the port if you book a post cruise stay with them. Also check

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d502999-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Express_Ft_Lauderdale_Air_Sea_Port-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Most of the reviews have been very positive

. On the return home we would like to find a hotel by the docks that we can stay in for one more night and hopefully have a shuttle going to the airport. I almost want to book the Renaissance again but that sure seems like lots of taxi trips.

If you are staying in a hotel the night after your cruise you can make the early flight .

Just get to airport 2- 3 hrs early.

You might consider renting a car and spending time in Fort Lauderdale before your 4:30 flight. If you are going to stay overnight, a car might still work out if you consider all of the taxi fares and the possibility of a lower hotel rate if you stay in the Fort Lauderdale suburbs.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation. They pick you up at the airport and then the next day will bring you to the pier, also there is a mall right next door to the hotel. We find it the best place to stay when we fly into FLL. if you want I can find you the #. When we leave we always take an early flight and have Princess take us to the airport I think it costs $10 or $15 pp ride from Princess . If you schedule a ride from them they make sure you are one of the first people to disembark the boat in time to make your flight. I hope this helps. It costs about $75.00 -100 per night depending on the time of year.

Vicki

CHARLIE,

I belive there is a charge for the shuttle.

JIM

We were not charged for the shuttle at Holiday Inn Express last Dec. In fact we rode that shuttle several times free. Stayed the night after our cruise. Took the free shuttle to the airport the next morning. Managed to take a ``bump'' on our flight that required an overnight stay. Called hotel for a room and actually got our same room back for the next night. Shuttle picked us up at the airport and then took us back to the airport the next day for our early morning flight (we took a bump on that flight as well but not an all-nighter).

Never had a charge for shuttle although we did tip the driver on each trip. Came home with $1,600 in free airfare to use on future flights and had great service from the hotel.

The $1,600 in air travel vouchers paid our airfare for two cruises this year with $186 to spare. (one of those cruises required an open jaw booking, Ohio to Tampa and SJ back to Ohio.):)

Dianne

Archived