Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

I'm not surprised that a lot of people didn't like Carnival's cheesecake.

Real cheesecake (like the Lindy's recipe that I use at Christmas time....i.e. the good stuff!) takes like 2 hours to make and another hour plus to cook. I have a feeling that the Carnival chef staff has theirs done in about 30 minutes due to the potential large number of people ordering it.

This mushroom ravioli was the most disgusting thing I ordered on the NCL Pearl. It just tasted terrible and was greasier than a deep dish pizza.

img_2149.jpg

Thankfully after trying it I ordered a new entree. DH had a side of Asian veggie pasta on his plate so I ordered an entree of that. I mean come on, the ONE vegetarian entree can't have at least one veggie visible??!?!

I got this which was tasty!

img_2152.jpg

pumpkin soup on Carnival......yuck!

I'll take yours--That's one of our favorites!:D

Why is it that on one cruise an item can be great and the next time on the same ship it is LOUSY?

• 1 month later...

I'd had to die for lobster ravioli at Baccus in New Orleans, so when I saw it on the menu in the Italian specialty restaurant on NCL Dawn, I ordered it. There was, first of all, not enough sauce to cover the 3 large ravioli (besides the sauce was undoubtedly the same sauce served on top of any ravioli, spaghetti etc), and secondly, the stuffing of the ravioli was just some "crumbs" or "scrapings" suspiciously like the crab something or other I'd already had on the sailing. Thumbs down. Don't bother! This was January last year. Hopefully chefs change and with it the recipes.

We won a free dinner in the Italian restaurant aboard the Sapphire Princess, and nothing was as good as what was served in the International dining room. We were very disappointed, but it was free. As far as the tenderness of any steak, the rarer the steak the more tender it is. Any well done steak can be used for shoe leather.:D:D

Monarch of the Seas (4times) so no fluke here. Last time was last month, January 2011. Its this square slice, green in color with big burgandy cherries cooked into it. Looks like a huge green dice of some kind. This is absolutely the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth. It is still on the menu as of last month.

I've learned not to order something like Pad Thai in a setting where it has to be prepared for 100s of people. I save it for the little local Thai restaurants. That and the King Crab on Princess Norway Fjords trip. They were old frozen and maybe refrozen. Tough and not tasty at all. You would think in the Fjords, where the King Crab is well, King, that you would get something fresh and delicious.

Usually cruise ship food is pretty good, but never as good as what we eat at home where my husband hasn't met a stick of butter he didn't love and uses fresh herbs, garlic/shallots and stocks in most dishes. So now I'm totally spoiled and cruise food is no longer the delight it was before he learned to cook. Not complaining, mind you.

I so agree with you, having ordered Thai curry on Constellation - it was just tomato soup with carrots and peas in it, served on rice - a 12 year old cooking for himself at home could have done better. When I complained, a plate of mixed veg covered in a sauce which must have had the entire contents of a jar of chilli powder emptied into it arrived. Almost every meal on this Constellation cruise was a disappointment - another example, apart from tough steaks and tasteless soups, was creme brulee, which was a slab of thick ordinary cold custard (supermarket creme brulees are far better).:mad:

I was on the MSC Poesia this past January. 7 days of the most AWFUL FOOD. I hate cooking and am not very good at it so anything that someoneelse cooks or is not a frozen dinner is good to us. When on the 3rd day my DH says to me, "I miss your cooking" I knew I wasn't the only one thinking this food SUCKS.

Answer: Everything on the cruise we took last fall on Uniworld. Having cruised on NCL, Princess, and Holland-America, we have expectations of minimum quality and presentation. Uniworld was nowhere near these other lines.

Turkey and gravy. Tastes like it belongs in a Hungry Man frozen TV dinner box plus the next day, plan on spending extra long time in bathroom (#2) with lots of pain. It has happened to me on both Carnival and RCCL.:(

• 1 month later...

Beef sliders on the Cagney's lunch menu. Cooked to a crisp with stale rolls. Luckily I've read that the menu has changed and they are gone.

That was my only complaint about NCL food, everything else was great.

Carnival Victory, Baked Alaska... when they brought it out I never would have guessed that was what it was. It just looked like an iced slice of cake with neopolitan ice cream. The meringue wasn't toasted at all. I sent it back and got the chocolate melting cake instead.

I've only sailed on NCL, and the worst in my memory are the hamburgers in the biergarten (dry buns, dry burgers) and biscuits (rocks!) for the biscuits and gravy (sausage links in gravy....disappointing but not as horrid as the biscuit itself).

Eggs Benedict on Princess. Think baaaad McG's Egg McMuffins.

DON

Thanks for reminding me... the Eggs Benedict on Carnvial Victory was horrible. We got it in the MDR and it was dried out and overcooked. I didn't enjoy it at all.

• 2 weeks later...