Dinner Attire

Just wondering, during the Formal and Smart nights at dinner, is it maditory that we wear a jacket and suit? or is that just a suggestion? if i walked in with shorts and a t shirt would i still be able to sit in the dining hall during those nights? im looking at the brilliance for the partial panama with 2 formal nights and 3 'smart' nights.

thanx to all that reply

Just wondering, during the Formal and Smart nights at dinner, is it maditory that we wear a jacket and suit? or is that just a suggestion? if i walked in with shorts and a t shirt would i still be able to sit in the dining hall during those nights? im looking at the brilliance for the partial panama with 2 formal nights and 3 'smart' nights.

thanx to all that reply

They do not want you wearing shorts in the dining room. They'll probably let you in, but you'll stand out. On the smart nights, just throw on some long pants and a shirt.

Ok this is a subject that keeps on popping up rather continuously. The attire for ANY nights as far as it goes is a 'suggestion'. However, be forewarned that shorts and T-shirts are NOT allowed into dining room at any time. Are you going to get thrown out if you attempt to do so? I honestly dont know but WHY DO THIS?!?!?!

Yeah yeah - I've heard it before "It's YOUR Vacation do whatever you want"...but it is also the vacation of others fellow passengers and cruisers. There ARE alternatives - such as Windjammer Cafe (or perhaps any other cafes\restaurants on the Brilliance (dont know - never been on her)) or even room service. Please explore those for the respect of the others.

IMHO, 'dressing up' should be a big part of cruising. I may be a bit old-fashioned, but I LOVE to dress to the nines and walk out for a nice stroll on a Promenade after dinner (I guess all I would need is a good cigar and a snifter of Hennessy to go with my tux :rolleyes: ).

Is it THAT MUCH of a deal to be dressed in a jacket & tie for 4 hours on 2 nights?

And, no disrespect intended, but I can assure you that if I walked into a dining room on a formal night dressed in my 'usual' (for the ocasion) tux and one of my table companions plopped next to me in a shorts and T-shirt - rest be assured that my Head Waiter would have heard about it in .000000001 of nano-second and one of us would've left that dining room (after all - it's MY Vacation too)

Again, I sincerely hope for the sake of everyone involved that you either dress up as per 'suggestion' or simply eat in the 'casual' establishment for those nights.

Good luck

Would you wear brown shoes with a tuxedo?

Just remember where the term Tuxedo came from... it was America too...:eek:

thanx to all that reply

I saw people turned away from the dining room on casual nights on Brilliance when trying to wear shorts at dinner. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, then you will need to eat in the Windjammer or at the Seaview Cafe.

Our shortest cruise has been 12 nights. I have never taken a tux with me. I have never been embarrassed by my attire. I have never worn jeans to dinner. I wear what I would wear in my golf club for dinner. I have always enjoyed the company of table-mates and no-one has ever made any comment to us about our attire (smart, but casual..shoes as opposed to trainers..etc..etc..) Our only bad dining experience was this year on Legend when we and our friends from England were booked at the same table, but on different sittings. To cut a long story short, we ate in the Windjammer for 14 nights. The whole point of this rant is to advise you to be presentable, good company, good listeners and good conversationalists......whatever......JUST BE NICE! You will be welcomed at 99.9% of tables whether it's "Formal Night"-whatever that means, or not.....glad THAT'S off my chest (to quote John Hurt in Alien:) )

Alan

Just wondering, during the Formal and Smart nights at dinner, is it maditory that we wear a jacket and suit? or is that just a suggestion? if i walked in with shorts and a t shirt would i still be able to sit in the dining hall during those nights?

I would hope not.:rolleyes:

I have so many nice clothes hanging in my wardrobe just waiting to be worn on my cruise that I'll be getting dressed up EVERY night and loving it, but, to be honest, it makes very little difference to me what clothes the person sitting next to me is wearing as long as they're clean.

That said, I wonder if you wouldn't feel a bit uncomfortable and out-of-place if nearly everyone else is dressed nicely (and you can be sure that they will be). I know I would. Also, a lot of people do feel very strongly about this. Would you be comfortable if others around you were staring daggers at you because of your attire? How would you feel about the possibility of upsetting fellow cruisers by not respecting the dress-code? These are all points you need to consider.

There'll be plenty of other opportunities to wear your shorts and t-shirts and your glad rags are probably just dying for a chance to get out of the wardrobe. Why not stick a couple of nice outfits in your suitcase and give it a go? You may find you really enjoy the whole dressing up business once you get into the swing of it.

thanx to all that reply

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Oh here we go again". This is the one topic guaranteed to start a dustup, often leading to fisticuffs on the boards......:D:D

So yes, my dear, you *have* to wear a *tux* for formal night, and a suit, white shirt and tie for smart nights:eek: (Just kidding.)

The Brilliance Minstrel Dining Room is gorgeous, though. The "smart" nights are actually smart casual, so you could wear a nice short-sleeve shirt and dressy shorts and be OK. Or shirt and long pants. Just not mini-shorts, tanks and flip flops.......:D

Fran in Toronto

I guess they really have to draw the line somewhere - while there can be very nice dressy shorts that would look fine in the dining room, you just know if they said that was OK, there would be people straggling in with their scruffy cut-offs. Like the whole jeans situation - I've seen women in lovely dark jeans with heels and a sparkly top looking just fine, but if they said jeans were OK, you'd have your faded out, baggy, well, you get the picture. Actually, the last night of our last cruise, one of the men at our table wore neatly pressed jeans with a collared shirt and blazer - he looked perfectly fine and I probably only noticed the jeans since I was next to him.

In general, I think women tend to dress up a little more on cruises as we have only so many places we can bring out the glitter, while men are thinking "let's ditch the jackets and long pants." JMHO

The Brilliance Minstrel Dining Room is gorgeous, though. The "smart" nights are actually smart casual, so you could wear a nice short-sleeve shirt and dressy shorts and be OK. Or shirt and long pants. ..:D

Fran in Toronto

Even though it specifically states "shorts not permitted in the dining room at dinner"?

I most certainly hope that shorts are turned away.

Even though it specifically states "shorts not permitted in the dining room at dinner"?

I most certainly hope that shorts are turned away.

The Canadian military summer uniform is dress shirt, shorts, and knee socks ...... it's possible to be quite dressy in shorts. Just depends how you do it.:D

There were people in shorts with shirts and ties who were not turned away on the ship.

I did see people in shorts, tanks and flip flops turned away - but not many. In general, though, on our Brilliance cruise...I didn't see a lot of super-casual folks trying to come in to the dining room...I suspect they just naturally gravitated to the Windjammer or Seaview.

Fran in Toronto

I have been cruising with RCCL for awhile now, I wear shorts and sandals to dining room every night with nice dress shirt, on formal nights I wear a sport coat and tie with the shorts. I have trouble with my legs and feet and cannot feel them from the knees down. I am a diabetic and have neuropathy, the best way to describe it is, feels like when your hand or leg is asleep (numbness, needles and pins feeling) and it hurts when it is touched, while I have that 24/7. I walk with a cane, and sometimes a brace. The sandals, are not cheap thongs either, my feet swell and without feeling them in shoes the circulation can easily be cut off. I have never been turned away from the dining room.

I know, I know, some people wear shorts in dining room just to be comfortable, and they don't care what people say. But do not lump everybody in that category. Some people in shorts and sandals maybe in the same position I am in, not trying to disrespect anybody, but it is what it is. Like the old saying "never judge a book by its cover".

If people want to dress to the nines, go ahead have a ball! My wife and daughter do, I will be content with my shorts. Now if people want to flame a handicap for wearing shorts, go right ahead.

Now, damp shorts straight from the pool, with a t-shirt...well, that's another thread lol..........

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Oh here we go again". This is the one topic guaranteed to start a dustup, often leading to fisticuffs on the boards......:D:D

So yes, my dear, you *have* to wear a *tux* for formal night, and a suit, white shirt and tie for smart nights:eek: (Just kidding.)

The Brilliance Minstrel Dining Room is gorgeous, though. The "smart" nights are actually smart casual, so you could wear a nice short-sleeve shirt and dressy shorts and be OK. Or shirt and long pants. Just not mini-shorts, tanks and flip flops.......:D

Fran in Toronto

ya, when i opened this thread this morning, i thaught "oh boy, what did i start".

Our shortest cruise has been 12 nights. I have never taken a tux with me. I have never been embarrassed by my attire. I have never worn jeans to dinner. I wear what I would wear in my golf club for dinner. I have always enjoyed the company of table-mates and no-one has ever made any comment to us about our attire (smart, but casual..shoes as opposed to trainers..etc..etc..) Our only bad dining experience was this year on Legend when we and our friends from England were booked at the same table, but on different sittings. To cut a long story short, we ate in the Windjammer for 14 nights. The whole point of this rant is to advise you to be presentable, good company, good listeners and good conversationalists......whatever......JUST BE NICE! You will be welcomed at 99.9% of tables whether it's "Formal Night"-whatever that means, or not.....glad THAT'S off my chest (to quote John Hurt in Alien:) )

Alan

This topic always generates dozens of replies, when this one would cover it each time ;)

Of course I wouldnt be embarrased to wear a suite....i wouldnt wear a tux though. But the question was more of a, if i dont want to lug a $300 suite on the airplane and have to worry about it for a few formal nights would i be able to get in if i wasnt wearing a suite or jacket.

Maybe i should refrase and say 'if i were to wear a pair of docker pants, and a polo type shirt, would i get in, and would i feel really out of place?

Maybe i should refrase and say 'if i were to wear a pair of docker pants, and a polo type shirt, would i get in, and would i feel really out of place?

Would you feel out of place wearing a tux to IHOP? A football game? A grocery store?

If the answer is no, then you feel quite happy on formal nights dressed as described.

No one can tell you whether or not you will be allowed in, as enforcement differs ship to ship and week to week.

If you want to chance it and eat at WJ, have at it.

Well...chances are 'yes' and 'yes'.

If it makes you feel any better - you probably wont be the only one, but, rest be assure - you WILL BE in minority.

So, the question therefore is more 'from us to you' then the other way around - WOULD YOU feel reeally out of place being surrounded by men wearing tuxes, suits or just jackets and ties??? If you deep within yourself feel that you would - there is your answer, no matter what any of us will say.

About 3 weeks ago I got off the Vision on an Alaska\California Repositioning Cruise. I, just like you, did not want to be bothered with lugging more stuff (and as you saw from my previous post - I am a 'tux' man). Solution? I rented a Black & White Combo from RCL. The Garment bag was nicely hanging in the cabin's closet when I checked in and was promtly picked up by my cabin steward after next-to-last night. The combo gave me a slight variety for 2 nights and a HUGE piece of mind in regards to shlepping the stuff and all the worries that comes with.

The cost - $122.50, incl insurance from minor incidents.

Too bad you're not into tuxes ;)

P.S. The hat is Optional

317037783_Copyofalaskacanadatrip311.jpg.3e9efa98249c0a2e637d661716e7e9a9.jpg

Of course I wouldnt be embarrased to wear a suite....i wouldnt wear a tux though. But the question was more of a, if i dont want to lug a $300 suite on the airplane and have to worry about it for a few formal nights would i be able to get in if i wasnt wearing a suite or jacket.

If that is your reason, not wanting to haul one around you can rent formal wear onboard. It's quite reasonable $85.00 for jacket, pants, 2 shirts cumberbun, tie. Cheaper than most around here for one night rental.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/prod_rcl_m.html

I loved that too Jazzzzlover.

If you go to RCI web page, you will see IN BOLD PRINT: What are the dress codes onboard? That in itself indicates there ISa dress code. Why do the ship personnel allow people to enter, dressed inappropriately? Because they want their tips. If you are turned away, you'll be P.O.'d and probably won't leave any tip.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=0000Bn9gVZg2DvYh5fbtsN5QypT:10ktdmnut#9

Archived