Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Sabrina,

Congratulations, I know you will not regret it! The passport pro and con list looks something like this:

:( Cons:

-Passport costs $100

-Not required for RT cruises from the US under WHTI current and proposed regs

:D Pros:

-Can fly to meet the ship if you miss the departure

-You get full use/value of any travel insurance coverage you have purchased

-No worries about having the 'correct' BC

-Can travel last minute outside the WH on a cruise

-Can travel last minute by air anywhere internationally

-Can return home in an emergency ASAP without getting special documents

-Little to no chance of being pulled aside for secondary screening (and perhaps missing a flight or connection)

-No worries about needing a REAL ID compliant drivers license

-No worries about having to keep up with US regulation implementation dates

-No worries about having to keep up with foreign country document requirements

:confused: Still up in the air

-Worries about needing extra documentation to prove a name change

That is what I remembered off the top of my head...Paul, Tom, have you guys got anything to add to the list?

Sabrina,

Congratulations, I know you will not regret it! The passport pro and con list looks something like this:

:( Cons:

-Passport costs $100

-Not required for RT cruises from the US under WHTI current and proposed regs

:D Pros:

-Can fly to meet the ship if you miss the departure

-You get full use/value of any travel insurance coverage you have purchased

-No worries about having the 'correct' BC

-Can travel last minute outside the WH on a cruise

-Can travel last minute by air anywhere internationally

-Can return home in an emergency ASAP without getting special documents

-Little to no chance of being pulled aside for secondary screening (and perhaps missing a flight or connection)

-No worries about needing a REAL ID compliant drivers license

-No worries about having to keep up with US regulation implementation dates

-No worries about having to keep up with foreign country document requirements

:confused: Still up in the air

-Worries about needing extra documentation to prove a name change

That is what I remembered off the top of my head...Paul, Tom, have you guys got anything to add to the list?

Unless you have the same name as someone Customs is looking for--this happened to a friend of mine in August--they got held up for hours, and missed their return flights. So definitely "some" chance!!

Well, LOL, that is why I put "little to" in there...as a hedge against this type of situation. It is a relatively rare event, but when it happens to you its 100% for you.

You should advise your friend to apply to the DHS Trip list to clear his/her name if it was on a watch list. It is supposed to prevent future delays of this nature.

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/customer/redress/index.shtm

Yes, and it made for quite a funny story when they got home---luckily they are the kind of people who can look at it that way. And fortunately it was on the way back, not on the way to the cruise!!!

Just goes to show that you never know what can happen, but having all of your paperwork in order can go a long way towards avoiding heartache.

My agency's suggestion letter for traveling says to be sure that your passport is valid for 6 months after your travel date. I've looked on the government passport sites and the only reference I see is a comment about "some" countries having that requirement, but it doesn't say which countries.

As luck would have it, my PP expires about one week short of that limit. :(

Does anyone know if this is a concern for cruising the Caribbean or Mexico? I will call my agency on Monday, but I was wondering if I could get any answers before that.

Renech, its not a problem as far as the US government is concerned, and you don't need a passport to travel to Mexico or Caribbean by cruise ship--but cruiseline computers are not programmed to think. If they are programmed to say you need 6 months before expiration, they will go 'clunk' with your dates. An easy way around this is to take a certified BC with you, and then you get around the computers, but still are travelling with a valid and acceptable passport.

Renew it when you get back and somehow remind yourself to do it again in 9 and a half years. :D

Sabrina,

Very well done Cheryl!!! I continue to think that you are doing a great service to and for the traveling public. A word to the wise should always be sufficient.

I think that you have covered all of the 'pros' for having a US Passport to travel outside of the US and return thereto. The 'cons' are certainly the costs associated with obtaining a Passport, particularly for children, in which the Passport is only valid for 5 years, however, after obtaining your initial Passport, it will be much easier to renew one that has recently expired. There is no doubt in my mind, that a valid US Passport, is 'the only way to fly'...anywhere...or...in the words of a credit card commercial..."Don't leave home without it".

Thank you again for your continued help and informative input for the traveling public.

Paul from NJ

Kay,

The passport card is a credit card sized travel document. It can be used to cross a land border (i.e. Mexico or Canada) but it cannot be used to fly internationally. It will be suitable documentation for cruises where a BC/DL can be used (RT from the US to Canada, Bahamas, Mexico and Caribbean only).

It costs $45 and is good for 10 years.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

My husband and I just got passports for us and our daughter. I had a passport as a child but it was long ago expired. For NEW applicants the fees we were charged are as follows: Adult $75 plus $25 execution fee and for a child it was $60 plus the $25 execution fee. We had our photos done at the post office but I have heard Walgreens does them pretty cheap. It is an additional $60.00 to expedite (3 wk) per passport. The average time for a passport is (4-6wks) regularly. Also, if you are getting your child's passport, BOTH parents must be there or have a notorized paper saying why one is not. Also it is recommended and sometimes madatory that you have a notorized paper allowing one parent or relative permission by the other to take a child out of the country. In my case, my husband can not go on the cruise so we have to have a paper NOTORIZED saying he is giving me permission to take our child on the specific cruise and that I (and other family members) have his permission to authorize medical care in an emergency. Also, if you have an amended birth cert. for a child you will need the legal paperwork to send in as well. This goes for adoptions (foreign, step-parent, etc) or name changes. Hope this helps. I was also told that passports are mandatory for all cruises that go to Mexico, Bahamas, and the Caribbean as well as the usual foreign countries. Hope this helps.

kat,

You were doing pretty good, until you got to your last sentence. ;) Here is what the government actually says:

Cruise Passengers

U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov.

If you had read the last few pages of this thread, you would have seen these rules for yourself and recognized that there is a difference between what is recommended and what is required. Since this thread has gone for over a year, keeping track of the government rules and regs, I feel it necessary to correct the misinformation that you were given in that last sentence.

Nothing personal, just trying to keep it factual on this thread. (There are tons of other threads dedicated to passport opinions).

Admittedly, I have not read the full 16 pages of this thread, so please forgive me if this information has already been posted.

In 1998 I got a new passport. In 1999 I married and changed my name. In order to have my passport match my new name, I sent it in for a name change. The same passport was returned to me with an amendment that my name had changed. The amendment was printed on the last page of the passport.

Some TSA's and airline employees were reluctant to acknowledge that yes, the amended passport does match my air tickets. I had to explain numerous times that the amendment was valid. Often these employees were not properly trained in how passports can be amended.

It was a relief this year when I got an entirely new passport and that the amendment was no longer necessary.

Admittedly, I have not read the full 16 pages of this thread, so please forgive me if this information has already been posted.

In 1998 I got a new passport. In 1999 I married and changed my name. In order to have my passport match my new name, I sent it in for a name change. The same passport was returned to me with an amendment that my name had changed. The amendment was printed on the last page of the passport.

Some TSA's and airline employees were reluctant to acknowledge that yes, the amended passport does match my air tickets. I had to explain numerous times that the amendment was valid. Often these employees were not properly trained in how passports can be amended.

It was a relief this year when I got an entirely new passport and that the amendment was no longer necessary.

I am sure your are happy to have those hassles over with! And yes, many people did not understand the name change in the back.

I am not sure when that was discontinued (probably around 2003), but name amendments are no longer done that way, now State just issues completely new passports. No doubt many folks had simlar troubles. Of course, you now have to send in two new pictures along with the name change form and marriage license. And it can still be done for free only within a year of marriage. After that it is a regular cost renewal.

I'm traveling in June 2008 to bahamas...just a short 3 day from Orlando.

Does my family need passports? From I have read we do not. But what exactly is the procedure when we arrive at the port?

From the government's viewpoint, no you do not need passports (assuming you are all US or Canadian citizens). You can travel on just certified birth certificates and Driver's Licenses (for adults). Kids under 16 do not need the picture ID--good to have one if your state issues them, though. You simply show these documents at check-in instead of a passport. Double check that your BC's are government issued and not hospital issued.

You do have two issues you have to stay on top of:

1. RCCL is still saying by phone that passports are required after June 2008. I have spoken with them and expect they will change that soon, but until they do....you are stuck with them saying you have been 'warned'. This really should not be a problem, but if RCCL does not get their act together by the time final payment is due, you have to make a decision about getting passports/passcards or cancelling. My money is on RCCL moving forward, but that won't help you at the dock if you toss the dice and lose.

2. What state are you from? There is the pending REAL ID first step in May, and there are 17 states fighting this act. Drivers Licenses from those states may, I stress may, not be accepted for federal ID purposes. Again, a lot of this is strutting and posturing by DHS and state officials; it may all come to nothing but one side (or the other) will have to blink and delay the rule or apply for an extension.

My husband and I just got passports for us and our daughter. I had a passport as a child but it was long ago expired. For NEW applicants the fees we were charged are as follows: Adult $75 plus $25 execution fee and for a child it was $60 plus the $25 execution fee. We had our photos done at the post office but I have heard Walgreens does them pretty cheap. It is an additional $60.00 to expedite (3 wk) per passport. The average time for a passport is (4-6wks) regularly. Also, if you are getting your child's passport, BOTH parents must be there or have a notorized paper saying why one is not. Also it is recommended and sometimes madatory that you have a notorized paper allowing one parent or relative permission by the other to take a child out of the country. In my case, my husband can not go on the cruise so we have to have a paper NOTORIZED saying he is giving me permission to take our child on the specific cruise and that I (and other family members) have his permission to authorize medical care in an emergency. Also, if you have an amended birth cert. for a child you will need the legal paperwork to send in as well. This goes for adoptions (foreign, step-parent, etc) or name changes. Hope this helps. I was also told that passports are mandatory for all cruises that go to Mexico, Bahamas, and the Caribbean as well as the usual foreign countries. Hope this helps.

Just FYI and all readers...the document for taking your minor child out of the US with only one birth parent traveling is referred to as: "Affidavit of Parental Consent For Travel Outside of the United States of a Minor Child Without Both Birth Parents Traveling". The document needs to be signed by both parents and notarized by a Notary Public.

The form is widely available in blank form, that you fill out, over the internet.

I have used the form several times, but as recent as November 2007, I was not asked for the form, although I had it in my possession. This may be because my minor daughter's last name on her birth certificate and my last name are the same. I could forsee a problem if parent and child names are NOT the same.

Thanks for your input and happy traveling!!!

I am not sure when that was discontinued (probably around 2003), but name amendments are no longer done that way, now State just issues completely new passports.

Thank you for letting me know that -- now I won't be giving incorrect information to other folks who have a name change issue.:)

From the government's viewpoint, no you do not need passports (assuming you are all US or Canadian citizens). You can travel on just certified birth certificates and Driver's Licenses (for adults). Kids under 16 do not need the picture ID--good to have one if your state issues them, though. You simply show these documents at check-in instead of a passport. Double check that your BC's are government issued and not hospital issued.

All this passport info is making my head swim:confused: !!!

We are on RCCL May 12, and we keep going back and forth as to weather or not to get our passports.........it seams as tho as soon as we have decided one way or another some more information pops up that changes our minds:eek: !!

Right now we are set on NO passports....however we are unsure as to how good of an idea that really is?!?!!?!?

This will be our frist cruise and we are very unsure...I know advice has been given for similar situations however any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

All this passport info is making my head swim:confused: !!!

We are on RCCL May 12, and we keep going back and forth as to weather or not to get our passports.........it seams as tho as soon as we have decided one way or another some more information pops up that changes our minds:eek: !!

Right now we are set on NO passports....however we are unsure as to how good of an idea that really is?!?!!?!?

This will be our frist cruise and we are very unsure...I know advice has been given for similar situations however any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Personally, I would obtain US Passport Books. If you plan to travel again within the next 10 years, you will want to have a Passport, since a Passport is valid for 10 years, and the longer you wait, the cost will certainly increase.

You could also obtain a less expensive US Passcard, however, it is not valid for returning to the US from a foreign country, by air travel.

In the event you were to have the occurence of an unforseen event or emergency back home, and need to travel by air, you will want to have a US Passport Book, otherwise your entry into the US may be delayed to verify your US Citizenship.

Check out the following Government websites for further information:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/chnge_in_proced.xml

Stary Eyed,

I am with Paul on this one; if in doubt get the passport book. It will save you many future worries and you won't have your head swimming every time a change happens or new rules come out. Take a look at my post #301 at the very top of this page for a good list of reasons.

Cheryl

will we need a passport for sept of 08??we are really cofused with this passport thing , thanks
Not for a RT cruise from the US as long as you have a certified (not hospital) birth certificate and valid Drivers License.

I live in Tn.

From what I read I do not think we will need passports. I'm thinking of getting them for my wife and me since we will be traveling more.

TN is currently planning on filing the extension to comply with real ID, so that should not be a problem. If you are thinking about the passport, I would say go ahead and get it. Then you are ready to travel at a moments notice.

Does anyone know if individuals can hold both a passcard and a passport? Or, does it have to be one or the other?
Yes, you can. You apply for either or both on the same form.

Just today I noticed that a DHS web page has finally been updated to reflect the law that was just recently signed by the President that delays the final implementation of the WHTI requirements for cruise passengers until at least June 2009.

They've included a paragraph at the very bottom of the page which states:

"Although DHS was on schedule to begin implementation of the new requirements as early as summer 2008, the fiscal year 2008 Appropriations Bill passed by Congress last month restricts the department from implementing these new requirements until June 2009."

So as long as your form(s) of travel identification meet the requirements listed on this web page, you should be fine.

Theron