Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Hubby and I just booked our first cruise that leaves in 6 weeks. We cannot find his original BC to obtain passports. Since we live in Louisiana, and Hurricane Katrina pretty much destroyed our vital statistics dept. in New Orleans, there is a 2 month wait time for copies, then another 4 weeks or so for passport time. We only have 6 weeks! I can get a copy of his BC on the internet for about $45 through an expedited vital statistics site. The man at Carnival told me that all we needed is a BC and driver's license. I know that is not the smart thing to do, in case we have to come home early, but what else can we do???

This has red flags all over it. Unless there is some super secret way they do passports in Louisiana that is unlike all other states, the only place I know of to get a certified copy of your original birth certificate is from the vital records department of the state in which you were born. These internet places do the legwork for you.

Maybe I'm wrong, it happens from time to time, but why would a private company be given priority over the state's own citizens?

Before I spent that kind of money for a BC, and especially considering your time constraints, I would make very sure that this place has some actual method for getting around the 2 month wait that you have been told about. If it were me, I would call the vital records office back and ask them if there are any private companies that have some sort of inside track on getting around the delay.

Theron

Thanks Theron! We went back to the Parish health unit, vital statistics, and told them we needed one ASAP. He got a birth "card", official seal and everything, within 20 minutes! They then told us that the 2 month wait is for an actual birth certificate. We are going tomorrow to send off for our passports. We leave in 40 days.....they assured me that we would have them back well before then.

Thanks Theron! We went back to the Parish health unit, vital statistics, and told them we needed one ASAP. He got a birth "card", official seal and everything, within 20 minutes! They then told us that the 2 month wait is for an actual birth certificate. We are going tomorrow to send off for our passports. We leave in 40 days.....they assured me that we would have them back well before then.

Cool... hope the card works OK for the passport! The times on those seem to be very short now, so you should be good to go soon!

Theron

We have a dilemma with my two oldest stepkids... we are taking them on a Mediterranean cruise in December yet we need their birth certificates for a Bahamas cruise in September so it will be risky tying up their BC's with the passport applictation. I am thinking it might be best to just get all 4 of them passports at a passport center such as Boston and not have to worry about using birth certificates anymore when we cruise with them. After all I have had a passport since I was 2, they may as well.

Forget the passport center route; that is only for emergencies where travel is within two weeks, and its really not necessary.

Why not just apply for the passports now? You have plenty of time before the September cruise. You will have passports and BC back in less than 2 or 3 weeks given current turnaround times.

If you have some reason to wait; then consider applying for a second certified copy of the kids' BCs. Send one in with the passport apps and keep the other for the September trip and any other unplanned needs that could show up during the two weeks the BC is out processing.

it will be risky tying up their BC's with the passport applictation.

Why not send in for additional birth certificates right now, as well? They cost only a few dollars, and I find that it is helpful to have backup certificates "just in case".

All recent reports are indicating that passports are coming back super fast these days... I wouldn't worry about it one bit, if you apply now you will have more than ample time to get the passports back, or if for some strange reason they don't, then you still have time to get a new copy of the BC.

Theron

Forget the passport center route; that is only for emergencies where travel is within two weeks, and its really not necessary.

Why not just apply for the passports now? You have plenty of time before the September cruise. You will have passports and BC back in less than 2 or 3 weeks given current turnaround times.

If you have some reason to wait; then consider applying for a second certified copy of the kids' BCs. Send one in with the passport apps and keep the other for the September trip and any other unplanned needs that could show up during the two weeks the BC is out processing.

Thanks! I had no idea that passports were back at a normal pace again.... I remember reading about problems with delays that is why I was worried.

For those who have been following the discussions about the cruise exception to the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), and specifically how one cruising without a passport may return home by air in an emergency situation, I've done some research on the subject, and I present my findings on a new web page:

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative - What it means for cruising

I hope you find it a helpful reference.

Theron

For those who have been following the discussions about the cruise exception to the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), and specifically how one cruising without a passport may return home by air in an emergency situation, I've done some research on the subject, and I present my findings on a new web page:

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative - What it means for cruising

I hope you find it a helpful reference.

Theron

WoW. . .Thanks for the hard work !

It is very helpful. . . Thanks for posting !

I am still happy that Mrs Radio just received her very first passport though ! ;)

Thanks again !

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I just came back from the bahamas through Prot canaveral, the border guys said the if you are leaving and returning in using the same port, you will never need a passport.

BUT after having done this, if you can get the passport, get it. so much better and easier.

I just came back from the bahamas through Prot canaveral, the border guys said the if you are leaving and returning in using the same port, you will never need a passport.

BUT after having done this, if you can get the passport, get it. so much better and easier.

Sounds like the news is finally filtering down! :) Although the Bahamas is about as close as you can get but still be "overseas"...

Theron

I'm trying to get caught up on the latest rules for my mother - I already have a passport and mom (82) and desperately wants to go on another cruise to the caribbean. From what I'm reading - she does not need a passport if originating and coming back to the same port in US. Is this correct? Thank You.

Seamare-Yes, that is correct, provided she has a certified copy of her US birth certificate and state-issued ID.

On another note: Several posters have noted that the Passport Cards are now being issued. These are to folks who originally applied last February when the applications became available; there will be some backlog until they work through the last several months worth of applications, but for anyone who knows frequent LAND BORDER crossers (Mexico or Canada) you might want to remind them that come this time next year they will need a passport or passcard or EDL/Sentry/Nexus document.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question on visa to Canada. We'll be cruising with Holland America next month with a port stop at Victoria, Canada. One of the passenger has the US permanent residency alien card (green card) and holds a passport from People's Republic of China. Any thoughts if he still requires a visa to Canada? China is listed as one of the country required to have VISA but I didn't think it's required if the passenger has a green card from US.

I called HAL and they said to call the Canadian embassy. Then I tried calling the Canadian embassy here in LA just to find it's all automated and not have my questions answered. My travel agent does not know or they're hestitant to answer my question. So I'm hoping someone could help me shed some lights here. TIA.

I have a quick question on visa to Canada. We'll be cruising with Holland America next month with a port stop at Victoria, Canada. One of the passenger has the US permanent residency alien card (green card) and holds a passport from People's Republic of China. Any thoughts if he still requires a visa to Canada? China is listed as one of the country required to have VISA but I didn't think it's required if the passenger has a green card from US.

I called HAL and they said to call the Canadian embassy. Then I tried calling the Canadian embassy here in LA just to find it's all automated and not have my questions answered. My travel agent does not know or they're hestitant to answer my question. So I'm hoping someone could help me shed some lights here. TIA.

Try the embassy in Seattle. Its smaller so might have a real person answer. I would think if he's a permanent resident that he would not, but you never know. You might even try a local Chinese specialized travel agent. They probably would know too.

Try the embassy in Seattle. Its smaller so might have a real person answer. I would think if he's a permanent resident that he would not, but you never know. You might even try a local Chinese specialized travel agent. They probably would know too.

Thanks. I actually got an email reply back from the Canadian General Consulate office (gave up on the calling in). My husband doesn't need a visa to Canada but has to bring his green card plus passport. I've printed out the email in case HAL will give us a hard time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone -

My husband and I are talking about taking a Panama Canal cruise in the spring of 2009. Unfortunately my husband is not allowed to have a passport so we have to travel before the passport rules are in place, June of 2009.

My questions are:

1. We want to sail from FLL to LAX or reverse and is that allowed since it's not R/T?

2. Will he be allowed to get off the ship in the ports we visit?

3. Do you think the US Government will bump up the June 2009 date?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Erica

Erica,

Without getting into why your DH cannot get a passport, is he a US citizen? Assuming so, the rest of this answer applies. IF not, then other rules apply.

--I am sorry, but the FLL to LA route will not fall under the new exclusion rule, which requires a return to the same port.

--The June 1, 2009 date is unlikely to be moved...I suppose there is some small chance of 0.000001% or something, but that date is in all reality the final date.

--Here is where it gets tricky: Traveling now, before the new rule, puts you under the current regulation where you can only travel to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda (and the US) without a passport. Which means that Panama may not be allowed without a passport. Technically, Honduras, Belize and Costa Rica do not count under this rule either, but I do know people are currently travelling there on Western Caribbean round trips without passports, because those countries currently do not require passports of US citizen cruise pax visiting for less than 24 hours. You would need to check with your cruiseline to see if they currently require passports for your particular itinerary. And then double check with DHS. And then triple check with the countries you would be visiting.

From what I have been told, you would be OK to leave and re-enter the US with just the BC and ID, but your interim countries may or may not require you to have a passport when visiting by cruise ship. And 'staying onboard' won't work either....they cannot let you on the ship if you do not meet the entry requirements of all the interim ports.

Thanks for the response, Cheryl -

My husband is a US Citizen, but he can't have a passport. We may have to do a R/T FLL cruise or something and skip the Canal.

I'll do my double and triple checking though. Thanks again. Your response was a big help.

I did some more checking, and found this long document, published March 2008 re: impact of the WHTI on cruisers. It puts trans-canal cruises into the category of 'currently require a passport' BUT it also says that current RT cruises to Central American countries besides Panama require a passport (which is not true). You might try reaching the author at DHS and asking a few more questions.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/material/reg_assessment.ctt/reg_assessment.pdf

It's OK to call me stupid, but I'm totally confused on these passport cards. Will they supplant current passports? My regular passport is scheduled to expire next year and I will have to apply for a new one. So, when I send in my current passport and the forms to whatever agency, will I only get the passport card? Are they no longer going to give out the usual passports with all the pages????

It's OK to call me stupid, but I'm totally confused on these passport cards. Will they supplant current passports? My regular passport is scheduled to expire next year and I will have to apply for a new one. So, when I send in my current passport and the forms to whatever agency, will I only get the passport card? Are they no longer going to give out the usual passports with all the pages????

This pdf document from the State Department web site pretty much sums it up...

And for even more details, see the FAQ website here.

From the FAQ page above, this is probably the most important information:

"The passport card is designed for the specific needs of the northern and southern border resident communities and is not a globally interoperable travel document as is the traditional passport book."

Theron

And FWIW--Chromey just posted he/she received their passport card yesterday, having applied in May. So they cleared a four month application backlog in one month of production. I suspect they will have the full backlog cleared by the end of this month, and then the turnaround will begin to mirror the standard passport book turnaround time. (And that corresponds to the several posts I have seen where staffers are telling folks that their existing application should be completed by September).