Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Actually, part of the Caribbean IS the USA but I agree with taking a passport when leaving the country. Taking it on domestic flights is a bit excessive IMO since your license is a picture ID and a passport would be superfluous, but to each their own.

I'm not sure why you think it's excessive or superfluous to carry a passport as photo id even for domestic travel. Once you get out of the mindset that a passport is something complicated or special and that's it's just an easy means of photo id when you travel it makes perfect sense to use it all the time.

And you won't break a nail digging your driver's licence out of it's slot in your wallet.

Edited by coolmom

Once you get out of the mindset that a passport is something complicated or special and that's it's just an easy means of photo id when you travel it makes perfect sense to use it all the time.

And you won't break a nail digging your driver's licence out of it's slot in your wallet.

I have had a passport since I was 18 months old.... I know it isn't complicated or special, but when you are already bringing a license which is smaller, cheaper and easier to replace, I don't see the point in bringing both. And I have gel nails so the wallet slot isn't an issue ;)

It's a good thing I sent mine in for renewal. It expires February 1st. It cost me $75 for the renewal fee and $8 for the picture at Walgreens. I think I paid $90 for it 10 years ago and $10 for the picture then.

Good news! I mailed off my passport renewal on January 8th and received it back on Saturday January 17th. today, I received back my old passport,

UNDER WHTI website it says special audiences cruise ship passengers on closed loop cruises only need BC and ID. This seems confusing to have so many different interpretations. I have 6 kids 3 over 16 yrs old and wonder what to do. 100$ ea for passports...

Amio,

There are vastly different opinions, but only one regulation with one interpretation.

The prevailing opinion is to have a passport.

On the cruise you have described, the only legal requirement is a BC and ID.

The reasons for the opinions vary (emergency travel, cost, being in a foreign country) but only you can decide what is the best choice for your family. Just make sure you weigh all the opinions and proceed accordingly.

If I'm reading the website correctly, a closed loop cruise (embark/debark from same port) that goes to the Caribbean/Mexico/Bermuda/Canada (such as a 7 day cruise from New Orleans) does not require a passport, nor at this time, will EVER require a passport. Drivers license/certified birth certificate is ok.

Do you have a link to info (since I can't find it) that you are REQUIRED to have a passport after June 1, 2009 for a closed loop cruise (again, like a 7 day from New Orleans or Miami)? I'm looking for fact vs. opinion.

I'm not disputing that you SHOULD have a passport, because we've had ours since 2001.

Thanks,

Kathy

If I'm reading the website correctly, a closed loop cruise (embark/debark from same port) that goes to the Caribbean/Mexico/Bermuda/Canada (such as a 7 day cruise from New Orleans) does not require a passport, nor at this time, will EVER require a passport. Drivers license/certified birth certificate is ok.

Do you have a link to info (since I can't find it) that you are REQUIRED to have a passport after June 1, 2009 for a closed loop cruise (again, like a 7 day from New Orleans or Miami)? I'm looking for fact vs. opinion.

I'm not disputing that you SHOULD have a passport, because we've had ours since 2001.

Thanks,

Kathy

There will be no such link (not from a credible source at least), because as you observe in your first paragraph, you will not now, nor after June 1, 2009, nor ever as long as current law is in place, be required to present a passport for a closed loop cruise as you described.

I'm a little confused as to why you are asking this, since your first paragraph seems to indicate that you do correctly understand the situation. If you're looking for confirmation, you've got it! :) Your first paragraph is a correct summary. The only points of fact that you didn't mention is that this applies only to cruises that originate from US ports, and it also only applies to US Citizens. Non US Citizens will still need a passport in accordance with all the other rules in place now and after June 1, 2009.

Theron

There will be no such link (not from a credible source at least), because as you observe in your first paragraph, you will not now, nor after June 1, 2009, nor ever as long as current law is in place, be required to present a passport for a closed loop cruise as you described.

I'm a little confused as to why you are asking this, since your first paragraph seems to indicate that you do correctly understand the situation. If you're looking for confirmation, you've got it! :) Your first paragraph is a correct summary. The only points of fact that you didn't mention is that this applies only to cruises that originate from US ports, and it also only applies to US Citizens. Non US Citizens will still need a passport in accordance with all the other rules in place now and after June 1, 2009.

Theron

Theron,

Thanks for confirming what I thought to be correct. I'm not meaning overkill. We are going on a group cruise Feb 2010 and on the group flyer the TA has put in bold larger print - v PASSPORTS WILL BE REQUIRED OF ALL PASSENGERS BEGINNING JUNE, 2009!

I wanted to be sure before I questioned the flyer. I agree that everyone should have a passport; I just want to give the facts when asked if it is required. It would have to be a personal choice of each passenger. (Though as the group leader I will strongly suggest it. I don't want to lie and say it is a requirement when it's not.)

Thanks again.

Kathy

Kathy,

I would only add that groups ARE allowed to make their own requirements for a group cruise; you have to be a paying member of a club, or you have to be a certain age, etc. that do not apply to individual cruises. If that is the case with your group, they can and have in some cases made passports mandatory (even though the US govt. does not).

I too would question the flyer, as it implies the passport rule is only becuase it is after June 2009, and that is NOT a govt. rule. But they could require one to travel as part of a group. Be kind to the TA when you explain the correct rule to him/her :D.

Kathy,

Be kind to the TA when you explain the correct rule to him/her :D.

I will. She's been my TA since 1994 and is now a very close friend.

Cruise Critic is a wonderful resource. I really appreciate all of your help.

Kathy

It's a little faded now, but if I remember right, I think there was a period a while back that the closed loop exception was not yet revealed, and we did think that at some point in the future, all cruise passengers would require a passport. I just can't say for sure, if anyone remembers clearer, feel free to confirm or correct me.

It is easy to not keep up with these things every day, especially back when they did seem to be changing the plan every few weeks.

Theron

Theron, you are absolutely correct on that. The originally proposed WHTI rule (late 2004) had a passport requirement for all cross border travel. Implementation was delayed and split into phases, with the air rule taking effect in Jan of 2007. Up until the revised proposed rule for land and sea travel was published on June 20, 2007 there was a lot of talk and expectation that eventually a passport would be also be required on cruises. That first 2004 proposal is still the one many people remember, even though it has been off the table for nearly two years.

I need to get clarification about the new passport rules to see if I need to obtain one this year or if I can wait.

I am booked for a cruise for April 22-29 flying from Tennessee to Florida. The cruise goes to Nassau,Bahamas, ST.Thomas and St. Marten. Do we need to purchase passports or not?

Thanking you in advance.:D

sorry if this is covered somewhere I have not looked, but do you need to take your passports with you when you go on shore exurions? how do you keep the safe and dry if you do?

• 3 weeks later...
sorry if this is covered somewhere I have not looked, but do you need to take your passports with you when you go on shore exurions? how do you keep the safe and dry if you do?

no never are you required to take them with you on a shore excursion in Caribbean, Mexico, Canada and Bermuda. There are other places that you have to have them but not these.

We ALWAYS carry a photocopy of our passports with us anytime we leave the ship. Our Passports stay on board locked in our safe. To keep the secure we use "water wallets" sometimes called beach safes, this also holds our S&S and cash for port spending :)

~S

Not from a cruise ship; it is likely the website you read from is referring to visitors arriving by air and/or staying more than 24 hours. Cruise pax do not need passports as of this writing, and are not expected to in the future (although laws can and do change).

But of course, with the WHTI not requiring passports for cruising to St. Maarten (for those who meet the requirements of the closed loop exception), St. Maarten would be extremely foolish to impose requirements above and beyond, as this would surely motivate cruise ships to find other ports of call.

I would say that is just about as likely as the cruise lines requiring passports of passengers that the government does not. A possibility, but extremely unlikely.

Theron

Absolutely correct, Theron. I threw that in there because every time I omit something unlikely such as that, someone is sure to post that things could change. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. :D

I think between the two of us, there are quite a few very dead horses around here! ;)

Theron

I read on the St. Maarten website that everyone needs a passport to enter as of 2007. And somewhere else I read that if you dont have one you will be denied entry. Is this the case?

Not sure about this, but I think you do need photo ID to get back onto the dock to re-board your ship, not necessarily passport though

• 2 weeks later...

I got the PASSPORT CARD...arrived from the State Department in 2 weeks. I couldn't believe it arrived so quickly. The PASSPORT CARD allows me to cruise which is all I intend to do, but not fly internationally. I'm taking my birth certificate just in case. I still have time to get a PASSPORT, but at this time I doubt I'll get one.

Edited by RaleighNC