Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Just wanted to add this update re: Passport Cards.

If you already have a regular passport (book) and want a passport card in addition, you do not have to send the book in--even though that is what the instructions say. There are now posts that say folks have used the renewal form (that is important), entered their passport book number, and submitted their BC along with the $20 fee.

• 5 weeks later...
Sometime in the last month Princess Cruises FINALLY got around to updating their website with the correct information on passports:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/ready.jsp

Edit--the above link is the Cruise Answer Place section; the FAQ page is still out of date.

Well they got it a little bit closer at the beginning, but still not right... if you keep reading on down the page you find this:

The Department of Homeland Security plans to move toward Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative implementation at land and sea ports. The initiative will require all persons to present a valid passport to enter or depart the United States by land or sea. The date is yet to be determined by the Department of Homeland Security.

That isn't even close to being right! :mad: [The DHS has already determined the date for final implementation, June 1, 2009. And even after that date, still not "all persons", but in fact only a very small minority, will be required to present a passport to cruise.]

Theron

Wow, thanks for pointing that out Theron, I thought I had read it through, but somehow missed that in the second paragraph. That is the same inconsistency as on the FAQ page.

For some reason, Princess is still acting as if they have no clue what the WHTI Final Rule date is, or the fact that it was passed over a year ago! At least they have updated their 'current' requirements to reflect the correct rules. Now if they would just read the WHTI Final Rule and discover that the cruising rules will remain exactly the same as they are now. Perhaps they need new legal staff.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out Theron, I thought I had read it through, but somehow missed that in the second paragraph. That is the same inconsistency as on the FAQ page.

For some reason, Princess is still acting as if they have no clue what the WHTI Final Rule date is, or the fact that it was passed over a year ago! At least they have updated their 'current' requirements to reflect the correct rules. Now if they would just read the WHTI Final Rule and discover that the cruising rules will remain exactly the same as they are now. Perhaps they need new legal staff.

Maybe just a new web staff... :) I'm about convinced that there is so much confusion, at least partly because much of the time this information, which is not difficult, but complex, is being passed along by people who really just don't care. They are most likely not big cruisers themselves, and so it's really just a job, and if they don't get it just exactly right, well, so what?

Just MHO... :)

Theron

• 1 month later...

I need some clarification. Myself along with my cousin and her daughter are going on a cruise in Feb 09. I will be getting my passport but my cousin doesn't feel that it will be necessary for them to get one since she read on the state department's website that passports would not be made mandatory until June 09...

I need to know if it is okay that they have a state issued ID and a copy of their certified birth certificate? We are going to the bahamas..

From what I read they would be able to use these for this cruise.

But the daughter is just 16 and she hasn't gotten her driver's license yet and probably won't due to some issues so what would be an acceptable form of Government issued ID for her.

We sail in Feburary and I am trying to make sure everything flows smoothly for this cruise...

I have tried to get them to understand that if something happens and they need to leave the ship or cruise for some reason they will not be able to fly home as soon as they may need to..

Melana,

Your cousin and niece will be able to cruise on just the certified BC and Government issued picture ID. You said 'copy of certified birth certificate' so let me just clarify, they must bring the actual certified copy, not a photocopy of a certified copy.

Your niece will need either a Driver License or state issued ID card. She can get that at the same place she would apply for a driver license if she will not be getting a driver license before the cruise.

As for your passport advice, you can only give it and hope they don't have any need for it. A passport would be better, but is not required.

Your cousins daughter can go to any DMV and apply for a state ID card. My 14 yr old has one and it comes in handy now! She can use the state ID card along with a certified copy of her BC. No copies will be allowed so she may wish to send off to her state of births vital statistics office for an actual certified BC.

We just took our 2 daughters (age 9 and 14) to the passport office and applied for passports for them on Friday. Figured it's much safer to have that then just a BC in case of emergency and we need to leave a foreign country on our cruise in March. Then they can use it if we ever do another cruise too (when the requirements do change).

Thanks for the replies. yes I know they need a certified copy and not a copy of a certified copy :)...

I understand this much more now. I will let my cousin know what they can do in the event they do not get their passports.

We just took our 2 daughters (age 9 and 14) to the passport office and applied for passports for them on Friday. Figured it's much safer to have that then just a BC in case of emergency and we need to leave a foreign country on our cruise in March. Then they can use it if we ever do another cruise too (when the requirements do change).
Helen, I am not going to dissuade you from getting the passports for your girls, becuase they ARE the best form of travel documents. But I do need to correct your last sentence only because this is a Sticky Thread that needs to keep the facts straight.

The final passport rule that goes into effect on June 1 2009, will NOT require passports for the majority of cruises. Pretty much if you don't need a passport now, you won't need it after that, either. (The exception is for one-way cruises for which you now drive to or from the foreign country, and there are few, if any folks that do that). As of June 1, 2009 you will need a passport/passcard to cross a land border, or to cross a sea border in a small ship including ferries, but not for cruise ships on round trip cruises from the same US port.

Helen, I was not referring to your concern about missing the boat, I was referring to the last sentence where you said "Then they can use it if we ever do another cruise too (when the requirements do change)." The passport requirements do not change for cruising. People have been cruising on BC and DL for two years now with that 'passport for flight' requirement. I still think a passport is a good idea, I just don't want anyone to think it is a requirement for cruising, when it is a choice.

• 2 weeks later...

What about getting out of the boat at the ports.

were going to grand cayman and cozumel and my boyfriend and I have different documents.

I have a stamped passport that I've used to travel internationally and he has a ceritified copy of his birth certificate.

I have never had any problems getting in and out of the country.. they just look at my passport and see the stamp that i am a resident eventhough i do not have a green card..

but what about him? will he be able to get off and on the ship? does he have to bring his birth certificate anytime?

no one knows the answer to this question it seems..

Luisa,

What is your nationality? When does your passport expire? What is the stamp in the back of your passport (I-94?).

The entire discussion of BC and DL refers to US citizens or Canadians; I believe your other post said your BF was born in TN, so he would be fine to travel with BC and DL.

If you are not a US citizen you must have a current green card or 1 yr temp I-94 stamp or page to return to the US. You may need a valid passport, depending on the countries your cruise is going to.

Your best bet at this late date is to call USCIS Customer Service and ask your questions.

I do have the stamped I 94 thing that is proof of residency for a year from now.. I just traveled internationally with that passport.. so i'm pretty positive im not th problem..

we were just worried that my boyfriend would have to carry his BC everywhere.. even just to get on and off the ship

Six of us are cruising to the Bahamas from Florida in March for four nights on Carnival. We all have current passports except my 15 year old daughter ( the only minor in the group) whose passport expires in June, 2009 and will not be accepted for travel to the Bahamas since it expires in less than six months.

I had read that some countries do subscribe to this six month rule and my TA verified with Carnival she should use her B cert and a photo ID instead of the passport because of it's upcoming expiration date. I would rather wait, anyway, to renew the passport until she is 16 (which is in May) because it will then be valid ten years instead of five, and will fall under the regular renewal rules upon expiration rather than one issued under 16 years of age (I think I understand this correctly).

Now I am thinking about getting her a passport card for 35.00 for the cruise but am trying to figure out what advantage that would hold over simply using the B cert and her picture ID driver's permit for this particular vacation, since the passport card cannot be used for international air travel. Although we do travel internationally every few years, we have no current plans for any such trips at this time. Does anyone have an opinion on using the passport card rather than the B-cert and other photo ID? The passport card just seems more official, but why does that matter to me?

Six of us are cruising to the Bahamas from Florida in March for four nights on Carnival. We all have current passports except my 15 year old daughter ( the only minor in the group) whose passport expires in June, 2009 and will not be accepted for travel to the Bahamas since it expires in less than six months.

I had read that some countries do subscribe to this six month rule and my TA verified with Carnival she should use her B cert and a photo ID instead of the passport because of it's upcoming expiration date. I would rather wait, anyway, to renew the passport until she is 16 (which is in May) because it will then be valid ten years instead of five, and will fall under the regular renewal rules upon expiration rather than one issued under 16 years of age (I think I understand this correctly).

Now I am thinking about getting her a passport card for 35.00 for the cruise but am trying to figure out what advantage that would hold over simply using the B cert and her picture ID driver's permit for this particular vacation, since the passport card cannot be used for international air travel. Although we do travel internationally every few years, we have no current plans for any such trips at this time. Does anyone have an opinion on using the passport card rather than the B-cert and other photo ID? The passport card just seems more official, but why does that matter to me?

If this were me, I would just hold off on the new passport until she turns 16. The "6 month rule" generally applies to places that actually require you to have a passport, which as you noted, for this cruise is not the case.

According to this web site for US Citizen entry (which claims to be the official site for The Bahamas) , nothing about the 6 month rule is mentioned.

In the past I have read several places that even a recently expired passport is still valid to verify your identity and US Citizenship, especially if she has an updated Photo ID. This site says expired up to 5 years is fine.

Theron

I would just like to clarify and simplify this thread...

A U.S. citizen leaving at a U.S. port and returning to the same U.S. port via a major cruiseline (i.e. Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Carnival ) may cruise with a certified birth certificate and driver's license only (no passport needed) prior to (and most likely after) 6/1/2009.

Has anyone taken the Norwegian Star cruise to the Mexican Riviera recently? We are scheduled for Valentines Day 2009, and I would like to specifically know if your cruise card and driver's license were sufficient for Mexican immigration to let you off/on the ship.

Also, if you fall ill in port or miss your ship, is there no possible way to fly or drive back to the U.S.? Does the U.S. embassy or consulate help in these matters? Any know for sure?

I welcome emails regarding this, I'm unsure how to subscribe to this thread. Thank you! mommyntheoc at gmail dot com

Edited by mommyntheoc

Mommyntheoc,

The rules for Mexico do not require passports of cruise passengers staying less than 24 hours. Cruise card and ID will usually be needed at the port to enter the secure area, but that is all.

If you become ill/miss your ship in Mexico, you currently have two choices, obtain a passport from the US embassy or consular representative ( ~ 2-3 days, standard price) and then fly home. OR, drive to the border, cross by car or on foot using your BC and DL, and then drive or fly home from the border city. The second option is only valid until June 1, 2009, at which time you will need a passport or passcard to cross the land border.

If you need emergency medical flights, you will need to obtain the passport before you can arrange for the emergency flight.

All expenses while waiting for the passport or travelling home will be at your cost, possibly re-imbursed by travel insurance depending on your policy.

Edited by cherylandtk

If this were me, I would just hold off on the new passport until she turns 16. The "6 month rule" generally applies to places that actually require you to have a passport, which as you noted, for this cruise is not the case.

According to this web site for US Citizen entry (which claims to be the official site for The Bahamas) , nothing about the 6 month rule is mentioned.

In the past I have read several places that even a recently expired passport is still valid to verify your identity and US Citizenship, especially if she has an updated Photo ID. This site says expired up to 5 years is fine.

Theron

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this. I wonder why the TA said when he called Carnival and asked them about my daughter's passport expiring June 2009, three months following our cruise, he said to use her birth certificate, anyway? I know I could ask him but I doubt he will remember why they said that since it's been a while since he asked.

I think I will take her passport, birth certificate and driver's permit which will surely cover her.

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard on these boards as well as an article in our local paper that the cost for a passport is going to go up "significantly" this March. So you might want to get one sooner rather than later.

It's a good thing I sent mine in for renewal. It expires February 1st. It cost me $75 for the renewal fee and $8 for the picture at Walgreens. I think I paid $90 for it 10 years ago and $10 for the picture then.

Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID. What is with you people outside the country the only thing concidered proper ID IS A PASSPORT!! I am sorry if you feel I have stepped on your toes but it absolutly iludes me why people take suchs risks - those US passports are your "key" to any US Embassy in the world and by the way the caribbean IS NOT THE USA even if these Island are on your doorstep and you do not have the same rights there as you do back home.

Please understand that Passports are not just another cost factor but they are a form of "insurance". If you get thrown into jail (innocent or not) anywhere outdside the US - your passport will get you the help of the Embassy - a birth certificate will not or only with a very segnificant delay.... and I don't think any of you would like to see some of these jails from the inside in most carib. states much less spend more time there than absolutly necessary.

Then there is the medical factor if you need to get home in a hurry from any Island it becames far more difficult without a passport (and remember things are already going wrong - want something else to worry about?) Immigrations might let the actual patient back into the country without a passport for Humane reasons but the family might be required to return via the planned way - in this case ending the cruise as originally planned...

An old post maybe but no one has said it better. If you are leaving your country get a passport. Period.

I use mine even when traveling by air in the US. Now it's second nature and I never ever have to think about what to bring: my boarding pass and passport are always together.