Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

After reading, commenting for years, thought I'd try with my own question:

The Island Princess is significantly different than many of the larger Princess ships. Unlike in 2013 when I took family of 10 on an Alaska RT Seattle cruise, stuffing us into three consecutive starboard Baja balcony cabins (we are, afterall, a "close" family and children should be with their parents?) the Island only offers "3" and "4" person balconies in their many mini-suite cabins. We will be "7" in two adjacent and because of Barcelona/Venice, are looking at port adjacent cabins (one indicating 3 capacity, the other indicating 4 capacity). Looking at Caribe (larger? fully covered?) and looking aft: any idea if the two doors aft exit onto a medium balcony? Any idea how the extra beds are configured in these pricy cabins? On the Star Princess all extra beds dropped down from the ceiling (and the kids loved them).

DJ:)

Hello. My husband and I booked a mini-suite on the Island Princess for our Panama Canal cruise in 2013. My parents were on the cruise in a balcony cabin too. None of us had more than 2 people per room so I can't help with the bed accommodations from personal experience but I can answer your questions about the decks and balconies. The balconies on Caribe and Dolphin are deeper than the balconies on Baja and Aloha (probably twice the size or more - our Baja balcony (for mini-suite room) was only about 3 feet deep, had to turn the chairs at an angle if we wanted to stretch our legs out). We were on Baja and it was our first cruise but we looked down at the deck below us where their balcony stuck out past the edge of ours but was half covered by our balcony (we decided we'd likely book on Caribe next time). Dolphin deck balconies are completely covered, Caribe balconies are half covered.

As for the back of the ship yes there are decks on Baja, Caribe, Dolphin and Emerald (for public access). They are only accessible from the hallways on those decks (can't climb from one deck to the other unless you go down the hall to the rear stairs then walk down the hall to the back of the ship again). You can google images for Island Princess aft (or Coral Princess, same layout) and see pictures of the decks and how they get wider as they go down. We loved the aft decks during the panama canal cruise because they were usually empty and it was neat watching the locks close behind the ship. There are lounge chairs there and because of the decks above partially covering them you can lounge together and one person can be in the sun and the other in the shade based on preference (I burn, my husband likes the sun). Our cabins were at the front of the boat but if we wanted to go sit "on deck" with our travelling companions we always went to the back of the ship instead of the top decks.

As for sleeping arrangements if you look at "search cruises" on the Princess website and go through as if you were going to book the room online you can enter your search criteria (island princess, the month of your cruise, 4 or 3 people in the room, etc.) and it will show you the available rooms, if you click on a room it brings up an information page and there will be a place to select bed arrangement. There will be a note here about how the beds are arranged. It might say TWINS/2UPPERS (beds come out of ceiling), or it might say "for 3rd or 4th passenger a rollaway bed is permanently placed in the room" (this would be highlighted in red text, and is one you'd probably want to avoid), or TWINS/1SOFA/1UPPER, or something like that. I just checked and while there aren't side-by-side rooms in balcony category that can sleep 3 or 4 there are balcony cabins that can accommodate that many (usually with one cabin between them) so you could go for the less expensive balcony cabins if you don't mind not having connected balconies.

The other thing to consider when booking rooms on the Island Princess is the bump outs (see deck plans on Princess website). There is a section at the front, middle and back of the boat where the balconies stick out farther than the mid-forward and mid-aft sections. I don't think you'd like having a balcony on the recessed part (not bumped out) as much because you can't really look forward or backward because all you would see is the sides of other cabins.

Not sure when you're planing to cruise or if you booked already but I hope that helps if you haven't sailed yet. Have a good trip.

I am a planner and tend to plan 6 months to one year ahead. Have done this for next 3 June (Barcelona/Venice) making cabin selection (two mini-suites) and their location to hold 7 passengers with convenience. Understood that there would be an April dry dock, so just thought, Great -- new carpet and mattresses! Actually in this dry dock, cabins become suites, activity spaces move, and laundry rooms as well. Our two adjacent balcony cabins were no longer adjacent and were changed, without us or our TA being notified! Now we are directly in front of the door to the laundry room (which have been moved from the other hallway) and there is no available pair of port cabins available! I am truly amazed at the lack of consideration and sense demonstrated in a variety of situations, but we just live a bear it? The is the Island Princess, a Panama-class vessel that is being fitted with a large proportion of upscale cabins (even taking up the margins of public spaces). Apparently the city of Venice is restricting the size of ships that can sail into its harbor and obviously interfering with profit margins. Everyone please remember that these ships are made of metal which does a great job in carrying sound. You may think it strange for loud speakers to be mounted on the ceilings of entertainment venue over which cabins are placed -- but engineers aren't concerned and customer service reps just learn to act surprised when told about being kept up through the night!

DJ:(

I just replied to your earlier message without reading through the rest of the overall thread and now see your latest message right above my reply. That is terrible. I just went on the Princess website to look at the deck plans for before and after April 2015 and it looks like they have taken over the aft decks on Dolphin and Caribe to put in a couple more rooms at the end of the ship and make a couple penthouse suites... I'm sorry about your rooms not being adjacent anymore between booking and them releasing the new layout but you should be able to call Princess and tell them you booked adjacent rooms for a reason and you want rooms that are adjacent. Hopefully they can shuffle people around so you can be in the adjacent rooms again. If they don't put you together again then you should ask for compensation.

I just replied to your earlier message without reading through the rest of the overall thread and now see your latest message right above my reply. That is terrible. I just went on the Princess website to look at the deck plans for before and after April 2015 and it looks like they have taken over the aft decks on Dolphin and Caribe to put in a couple more rooms at the end of the ship and make a couple penthouse suites... I'm sorry about your rooms not being adjacent anymore between booking and them releasing the new layout but you should be able to call Princess and tell them you booked adjacent rooms for a reason and you want rooms that are adjacent. Hopefully they can shuffle people around so you can be in the adjacent rooms again. If they don't put you together again then you should ask for compensation.

Of course I didn't tell the entire story. Princess took our reservation and moved the cabins to fit the new design. They are still adjacent and will handle seven people. Of course, the problem is that they probably could have informed the TA that the original selections would no longer work even as to cabin classification, and they could have told them back in August/September when few cabins had been reserved. You see, the selection was also made with the location of the laundry room in mind (2 grandsons): close enough, but not too close. Now the laundry room has been relocated and it looks like our cabins will face the laundry room door! Of course, no cabin arrangement that fits are minimum requirement is now available and even though the Captains Club responded to me immediately, it referred my note to Customer Relations that I assume just placed it in the "never bother to respond" bucket.

Apparently the city of Venice enacted a regulation making Princess' larger vessels unable to sail to its dock, and the Panama-class vessels were seen as in need of a refitting to make them more profitable for this 12-night journey. If you have access to the standard deck plans, you will be perhaps even shocked at how public spaces (gym?) no longer have window access, but are interior spaces surrounded by upgraded cabins!

So now, for a first, making a comprehensive thoughtful selection of cabin(s) very early can be a mistake and cruise line staff apparently have no insight into what they do.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone here stayed on the Lido Deck in a mid-ship balcony cabin? Did you like it or hate it? I'm a bit worried about the movement being so high up. Did you notice more movement? I really would love to hear what you think about this area of the ship. Thanks so much!

We have had Lido deck rooms a few times and love them. Just try to not get too close to the doors leading out on deck and take note of location of the giant, on deck TV and speakers.

Sailing splendor in Jan. 2015 with Lido deck balcony just across from mid-ship elevators

8310 on RC Explorer of the seas--

Im alittle afraid of noise since its across from the elevators

any advice on this room

thanks

actually it is NOT across from your room. Elevator is in a bank come out of your cabin turn right and into that space- the doors will be on the other side of where it says elevators.

its where I stay all the time. (I often wonder why people dont like cabins by the elevators-- ) if you get rude passengers who are loud when they get off that elevator they are going to be loud as they are walking down the hall

http://www.shipparade.com/cruise_ship_reviews/Royal_Caribbean_International/Adventure_of_the_Seas/Photos/ZDsc00071.jpg

your room will be on the other side of the wall behind the doors

Avoid cabin 2396 - 2400 - 2404 on the Breeze (I assume these would be also a problem on the Magic and Dream)

We have had a cove before, and loved it (2407 - no noise) but these (2400 we had with 2396 and 2404 on either side) - they reported the same problems we did. They are under a dish washing station in the galley and large storage area in the galley. Not only is the noise 24/7, it is very loud.

If you plan to book, I suggest you visit your local bowling alley, and ask if they have a basement under the bowling lanes. If you can sleep through that scrapping, thuds and loud crashes, you will be fine - if not avoid these cabins, they are bowling up there for sure. :(

Avoid cabin 2396 - 2400 - 2404 on the Breeze (I assume these would be also a problem on the Magic and Dream)

We have had a cove before, and loved it (2407 - no noise) but these (2400 we had with 2396 and 2404 on either side) - they reported the same problems we did. They are under a dish washing station in the galley and large storage area in the galley. Not only is the noise 24/7, it is very loud.

If you plan to book, I suggest you visit your local bowling alley, and ask if they have a basement under the bowling lanes. If you can sleep through that scrapping, thuds and loud crashes, you will be fine - if not avoid these cabins, they are bowling up there for sure. :(

I violated my own guidelines a few years ago and sailed a brand-new Carnival ship (Magic) selecting the remaining aft balcony (four cabins are directly above an entertainment venue). Although you would have thunk that additional sound insulation or some wonder of materials placement would take into account some consideration of cabin status, nothing of the sort has taken place, and even a visual inspection of the entertainment venue revealed that audio speakers were mounted ON THE CEILING, that is they were attached to our cabin floors! No effort has been made to adjust, like the base sounds or placement of speakers on side walls, etc. I can only assume that the ship construction company has the goal of maximizing its profits and the cruise ship company is well aware of these issues, but just like the automobile manufacturers (ignition switch?) they just write off # of deaths, etc. We all must remain alert when selecting cabins. In all cases, cabins with similar spaces above and below are the most safe, and I believe that location, unless you have a severe reaction to movement, are a matter of financial and personal preference. Depending on the cruise and our need for adjoining cabins, we may select a side with the best land views from balconies, and otherwise have most enjoyed aft balconies.

Our best for a safe and productive 2015.

DJ:)

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up for everyone who assumes that a deck between noisy venues is enough space to protect from late night noises!!! Found out that this is not true!! Empress deck room 7394 was very noisy from dance club on deck 5. Loud bass thumped every night until the wee hours !!!! Live and learn!!!

Heads up for everyone who assumes that a deck between noisy venues is enough space to protect from late night noises!!! Found out that this is not true!! Empress deck room 7394 was very noisy from dance club on deck 5. Loud bass thumped every night until the wee hours !!!! Live and learn!!!

It would have been interesting to go down one deck and visit folks in the cabin below you? I'm really impressed how sound travels through metal and how the construction industry apparently doesn't understand this issue. I've found that speakers are often attached to ceilings that are only inches from the top of the cabin's carpet! Strange how my only experience with becoming absolutely sick and enraged on a cruise was with a brand-new Carnival vessel just a couple of years ago. With your concern it might be useful to first locate all possible sound threats for a given ship to locate "safe zones" -- live and learn.

Just off the Imagination - we had cabine U153 which happened to adjoin with U155.

I dont know if it was just the RUDE passengers next to us, but the sound through the adjoining door was insanely LOUD.

We heard every word they said. We heard them have sex. We heard their damned TV on all day, every day.

We asked to switch cabins and were turned down. We finally changed the bed's orientation so our heads were against the other wall...of course this meant the TV was over our heads so we couldnt watch it.

It did "help" the noise level, but still not enough to drown it out.

AVOID this cabin unless you are with the party next door and you know they're not loud idiots!

and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on room

8310 on explorer of the seas

I know its near the elevators but weve stayed right across from the elevators on DCL and since they are set in a hallway our room was very quite

hoping for the same on RC any other tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks all

and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on room

8310 on explorer of the seas

I know its near the elevators but weve stayed right across from the elevators on DCL and since they are set in a hallway our room was very quite

hoping for the same on RC any other tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks all

its above and below cabins.. midship last cabin on the hump. might get some obstruction looking forward but i think its a good location

I wonder about The Breeze 1214. I have stayed in porthole cabins before but on smaller ships. I wonder if its less movement on a bigger ship? Not that I mind it to be honest!

Anyone stay in a porthole on a new ship? Like over 100,000 tons

Can anyone comment? Thanks!

Has anyone stayed in 6460 on Dream? I read online that it has some noise from the club being below it. I won't complain too much because this cruise was practically free for us but I would like to know if I should try bringing on a fan and some ear plugs. If the noise is too much then I guess I will just have to join the party every night and sleep in late. No one is ruining that cruise! :p