Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

its the good side to be on-- the other side you will be woke up by the anchor dropping.

Bunk beds, couch, porthole windows

should be similar to this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=13600855&postcount=5

Thanks! Plenty of room for 1!!

I am also going to Punta Cana but in Sept, Hope you have a good time! its been a while for me to take a land vacation that was not go go go...

Sorry of I am being thick, but what do you mean "Niagara Falls"? What was the noise going from. I am having images of pool water coming over the edge:)

So incredibly LOUD that you cannot talk...Not water spraying on you, the noise from the props/engine/water behind the ship. It's like you're standing near a large waterfall.

So incredibly LOUD that you cannot talk...Not water spraying on you, the noise from the props/engine/water behind the ship. It's like you're standing near a large waterfall.

wow That is strange. Aft Balcony cabins aren't usually like that. We had one on the Celebrity Summit and the only sounds we heard was subdued flamenco guitar from the Sunset Bar three decks above.

We did have a strange cabin on the Epic, though. It was a mid ship balcony on the hump. Every time the ship moved, the cabin shook like crazy. The vibration was so bad that the bedside snake lights could not stay in place. They just shimmied down to the top of the beds.

They ended up moving us to a different cabin as sleep was not possible. I still don't know what caused it. I wondered if the entire cabin was not bolted in properly. I had visions of the entire cabin suddenly flying out to sea.

we have sailed the aft many times. and never experienced this.

what ship was this> Were you low to the water?

I'm going on my 24th cruise on Sunday and I've only ever had 3 balcony cabins. Two of them were aft, both on Spirit-class Carnival ships, on Deck 4.

The wake is very loud. But when I'm out there, I'm not talking. Actually, I was solo last May on Pride in 4232.

That one had serious shaking issues. So bad the last night (maybe because we were moving slowly up the bay back to Baltimore) that it was like being repeatedly grabbed by the shoulder and shaken awake. Made for a miserable 6+ hour drive home.

Anyway, it's been my very limited experience that it is rather loud on the aft balcony. I can handle the volume more than the shaking. Not going to spend my money for another aft (at least not on that class, and I love that class ship!).

Rene - I had 2217 on Glory. Pretty sure I posted way back about it. Lots of room for a solo. What I didn't enjoy was the very loud banging of the waves against the hull. Only bad on the first night after we left Bermuda, but it was like someone was slamming a huge steel door against the hull, then there would be a couple of strong shakes.

I have 2217 booked for my return to Bermuda on Splendor in October. I'm concerned it will happen again, but it's a 1-time sailing and cabins went very, very quickly.

Other than that one night, I liked the cabin. Come out, take forward stairs up to Deck 5, walk all the way aft (to catch my breath), then climb all the way up to Lido Deck 9. Do that a multiple times daily and you won't have to worry about weight gain! :p

we have sailed the aft many times. and never experienced this.

what ship was this> Were you low to the water?

Hi Serene! We sailed together a few years back :)

This was on the NCL Epic - we were on deck 10, so no, not close to the water. I had read a few mixed reviews about this loudness but other people did not comment on it so we took a chance. Will never do it again!

Hi Serene! We sailed together a few years back :)

This was on the NCL Epic - we were on deck 10, so no, not close to the water. I had read a few mixed reviews about this loudness but other people did not comment on it so we took a chance. Will never do it again!

I wonder if its because the balcony on epic are kinda closed in giving it a tunnel feel and holding the sound.

We are sailing on the Valor in October. Have not booked the cabin yet - waiting for them to contact me this week. (My sister-in-law booked it for us using her points).

This is only our 2nd cruise - last time we were with a group so it was taken care of.

I am a little concerned - have no idea - port, aft, etc. might as well be a foreign language.

Suggestions anyone?

AFT CABINS

We have been in aft cabins several times and never experienced any of the problems mentioned. In fact, we find them soothing.

I thought maybe it was lower decks, but I think deck 10 was mentioned.

We’ve been as low as deck 9 and had no problems.

We love NCL and I am sorry that Kristin is saying no more NCL.

If it is just the cabin, maybe it’s time to try a side balcony.

Judy

We never had a bad experience with an Aft Cabin either.

90+% of the time an aft cabin is exceptional and the view can be memorable -- if only the sight of leaving various ports. BUT you should make certain that the cabin or spaces above and below your bedroom are not public spaces (such as entertainment venues). Remember that metal does a great job of carrying sound, and we have discovered that engineers think nothing of attaching speakers to a rooms ceiling when that ceiling is also the floor of a passenger cabin! (Age makes no difference, as we were on a ship in its first season, just a couple of years ago.) It is also amazing how passenger services always responses to any complaint as if it was the very first time they had heard about it! Best to be prepared and to avoid the possibility.

DJ:)

• 2 weeks later...
To anyone familiar with these double balcony suites I would appreciate any feedback you have. I am especially interested in comfort/privacy issues if we share with another couple. Also, is there any weather protection on the front balcony?

Thanks Very Much for taking the time to write!

HI Kaftan. I've sailed in the DOS on the Pearl and the Star. Both were some of the best cruises we have ever had. So:

Pros - Great Location. Beautiful Rooms. Lots of space. Very comfortable. Great bathroom.

Cons - Front Balcony is basically useless when underway. The wind is extremely strong. At the very front of the ship so you will feel some movement if you hit high seas (if that kind of thing bothers you).

That's about it. The pros way outweigh the cons. I don't know how comfortable this room would be for two adult couples. One couple of course would be on the pull out in the living room. Not to mention you would have to share a closet. I can't remember but one of the ships had a sliding door between the bedroom and living room where the other only had a curtain. Also, the room size changes based on whether you are on the 9th or 10th floor. So for two couples I would recommend getting the attached standard state room. We did this on our Alaskan trip as we had another adult couple with us. It was great as we both had bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, privacy and yet we shared the living room.

Regardless of what you choose I can promise you it will be wonderful as these rooms are some of the best.

HI Kaftan. I've sailed in the DOS on the Pearl and the Star. Both were some of the best cruises we have ever had. So:

Pros - Great Location. Beautiful Rooms. Lots of space. Very comfortable. Great bathroom.

Cons - Front Balcony is basically useless when underway. The wind is extremely strong. At the very front of the ship so you will feel some movement if you hit high seas (if that kind of thing bothers you).

That's about it. The pros way outweigh the cons. I don't know how comfortable this room would be for two adult couples. One couple of course would be on the pull out in the living room. Not to mention you would have to share a closet. I can't remember but one of the ships had a sliding door between the bedroom and living room where the other only had a curtain. Also, the room size changes based on whether you are on the 9th or 10th floor. So for two couples I would recommend getting the attached standard state room. We did this on our Alaskan trip as we had another adult couple with us. It was great as we both had bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, privacy and yet we shared the living room.

Regardless of what you choose I can promise you it will be wonderful as these rooms are some of the best.

I agree about these cabins.

The front balcony was amazing for the Panama Canal and we have one for South America.

I’m hoping the wind wont be too bad since we will not be out in “open water”.

Anyway, a suite is always “sweet”!

For 2 adult couples, I definitely would get the attached regular cabin.

Judy

Ncl Pearl 14010. Noise from deck below that I thought was a child beating a drum turned out to be the large chess pieces being moved hard by people. Also they have a bean toss game/ competition that happens under this cabin, very loud when it occurs. Also open deck above you, it is not only for haven guests. Lots of running and tromping at night. We had several nights of no hot water with no real explanation from crew. We think a possibility is they regulate flow when they need to fill private hottubs and this cabin is affected by it.

NCL Pearl 11578 and 11576. Mid-ship mini-suites. These are great rooms with the exception that the Youth Splash Academy is directly above. During they day there is a lot of noise. Sounded like marbles being thrown across the roof all day long. So if you are into taking mid-day naps you can forget it in these cabins. Other than that the rooms are great and in a great location.

Hi,

We usually book a mid or forward cabin. This time were in an aft cabin, deck 2. We are ok with no window, but a bit worried about engine noise. Does anyone have any experience of this? TIA!

ship name and cabin number will help with a reply.

aft cabins go from the aft elevator.

you are under the dining room. but if above that gray area under you will get a vibration shuddering when entering or leaving the port.

it will be a long walk to the elevators/stairs

is the cruise soon? why is this the only thing available?

I am new to this forum and have never been on a cruise. My husband and I are planning a cruise early next year. I want a balcony room, but I want the balcony facing the sea, not the interior of the ship. I read somewhere that some balcony rooms face the inside. How do I know which ones face which way? Thanks.