Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

My wife and I have booked an Alaskan cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver in June next year. So far we have booked a signature suite but not actually chosen a cabin. Is there any particular cabin(s) we should avoid when making our selection? This will be our very first cruise. Thanks in advance.

Comment made with ignorance of deck plan: If your cruise is northbound, the better views are landward (starboard). If you have the luck of a day at Glacier Bay, the captain will go out of his/her way to give all sides of the ship good views (although you will be so excited and probably out on public decks anyway!). Alaska cruises useful to look at calendar options (early, middle season, late). Sometimes better weather, options as to fishing and wildlife views.

Enjoy, DJ:)

If your cruise is northbound, the better views are landward (starboard). If you have the luck of a day at Glacier Bay, the captain will go out of his/her way to give all sides of the ship good views (although you will be so excited and probably out on public decks anyway!)

The cruise is the 7-day round-trip so we get to see the coast from both sides of the ship, weather permitting. The specific cruise is at http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=A6G07S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=landSeaJourneys,cruises,A&dateCode=6_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=I646 for the 25th of June.

Alaska cruises useful to look at calendar options (early, middle season, late). Sometimes better weather, options as to fishing and wildlife views.

Enjoy, DJ:)

We've never been the the northern hemisphere before but I would expect that late June would be pretty close to the height of Summer but before it gets really hot. In New Zealand it's cold but still getting towards the coldest parts of Winter which tends to be mid July through to mid August.

While we expect to be in the public areas a fair amount of the time, we decided on the signature suite to give us some alone time where we can still enjoy the outside environment on the verandah without the crowds.

The cruise is the 7-day round-trip so we get to see the coast from both sides of the ship, weather permitting. The specific cruise is at http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=A6G07S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=landSeaJourneys,cruises,A&dateCode=6_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=I646 for the 25th of June.

We've never been the the northern hemisphere before but I would expect that late June would be pretty close to the height of Summer but before it gets really hot. In New Zealand it's cold but still getting towards the coldest parts of Winter which tends to be mid July through to mid August.

While we expect to be in the public areas a fair amount of the time, we decided on the signature suite to give us some alone time where we can still enjoy the outside environment on the verandah without the crowds.

We've cruised Alaska 3X (last with a family group of 10 RT Seattle) and with our hot summers in Texas, probably not our last (although our July 2014 cruise to Norway was wonderful).

A few comments/suggestions:

1. Weather/climate: our last visit was 2013 (20 July) that we selected more for convenience and hopes for large proportion of families/children for our then three grandsons: the highs were pretty much in the low 70s and we were able to make good use of our balconies (three attched/adjacent). With climate change, I don't know what can be predicted (warmer?). At any rate, the basic rule will be to bring layers of outerwear, at least a good windbreaker and something warm to wear underneath that can be left behind (you can look at this year's June weather history, maybe somewhat predictive?) -- apparently Alaska/Canada/Europe have now a history of heat waves that are not predictable even months before. Weather along this coast, in general, is very unpredictable, and "good" for weather represents sunshine!

2. Port experiences: strongly suggest you consider whale watching at Juneau, a train ride at Skagway, and a trip into Misty Fjords at Ketchican. We tend to use a private company at Juneau and Skagway.

3. Vancouver: we love Canada and hope you will have planned for some days in Vancouver/Victoria. (Although Seattle is great, we plan to return to Vancouver on our next Alaska trip to include Denali National Park.) Consider the Aquarium and Beluga whales at Stanley Park and the Anthropology Museum, as well as time or at least the ferry to Victoria with visits to Natural History Museum and the wonderful Butchart Gardens!

Hope to experience New Zealand (Princess or Holland America) within the next couple of our winters (all advice as well as ways to cope with air travel most welcome!). Feel free to drop a note for any specifics I might offer (balticports@yahoo.com). DJ:)

1. Weather/climate: our last visit was 2013 (20 July) that we selected more for convenience and hopes for large proportion of families/children for our then three grandsons: the highs were pretty much in the low 70s

We live in the far south of New Zealand (Dunedin) so we like the colder temperatures. Our Summers are often too hot for us with typical temperatures in the low 30's (mid-high 80's). Low-mid 70's is ideal for us :-) I deliberately booked a guarantee rather than a specific suite as a number of places advise that the guarantees are more likely to receive upgrades. If we get an upgrade to a Neptune suite then we will be very happy but if not then we will not be disappointed.

At 40M and 31F, I suspect that we will be some of the youngest on the cruise (and Rocky Mountaineer trips afterward) but neither of us is really into the all-night parties and binge drinking of the 20-30 age group.

At any rate, the basic rule will be to bring layers of outerwear, at least a good windbreaker and something warm to wear underneath that can be left behind

We're spending a couple of months in Canada (BC & AB only) so this is already planned to ensure we enjoy ourselves on our holiday. With the diversity of British Columbia, Alberta and Alaska we need to allow for some rather variable climates.

2. Port experiences: strongly suggest you consider whale watching at Juneau, a train ride at Skagway, and a trip into Misty Fjords at Ketchican. We tend to use a private company at Juneau and Skagway.

I have been looking at various options in the ports and locations we will be staying over the whole holiday. We are planning to take a whale watching cruise from Vancouver Island but we may try in Juneau as well. In Skagway we have found a glass-blowing lesson which sounds very interesting. In our various travels over the past years I have always taken the time to organise things rather than get a travel agent to do the work. Part of the enjoyment of the holiday is finding out what's around before you even get there.

3. Vancouver: we love Canada and hope you will have planned for some days in Vancouver/Victoria. (Although Seattle is great, we plan to return to Vancouver on our next Alaska trip to include Denali National Park.) Consider the Aquarium and Beluga whales at Stanley Park and the Anthropology Museum, as well as time or at least the ferry to Victoria with visits to Natural History Museum and the wonderful Butchart Gardens!

We have planned almost a week in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton and a few days in Victoria. We are planning on a day or two in a couple of other places as well.

Hope to experience New Zealand (Princess or Holland America) within the next couple of our winters (all advice as well as ways to cope with air travel most welcome!). Feel free to drop a note for any specifics I might offer (balticports@yahoo.com). DJ:)

New Zealand is a lovely country as is surprisingly bigger than many believe. We have allowed a full day in Vancouver when we land so that we can cure any jet-lag we have. We want our holiday to be relaxing rather than rushing to cram in as much as we can possibly do.

Depending on how we enjoy the cruise we may well take another in a few years; mortgage permitting.

We live in the far south of New Zealand (Dunedin) so we like the colder temperatures. Our Summers are often too hot for us with typical temperatures in the low 30's (mid-high 80's). Low-mid 70's is ideal for us :-) I deliberately booked a guarantee rather than a specific suite as a number of places advise that the guarantees are more likely to receive upgrades. If we get an upgrade to a Neptune suite then we will be very happy but if not then we will not be disappointed.

At 40M and 31F, I suspect that we will be some of the youngest on the cruise (and Rocky Mountaineer trips afterward) but neither of us is really into the all-night parties and binge drinking of the 20-30 age group.

We're spending a couple of months in Canada (BC & AB only) so this is already planned to ensure we enjoy ourselves on our holiday. With the diversity of British Columbia, Alberta and Alaska we need to allow for some rather variable climates.

I have been looking at various options in the ports and locations we will be staying over the whole holiday. We are planning to take a whale watching cruise from Vancouver Island but we may try in Juneau as well.

"Whale Watching" from Vancouver Island is most likely following pods of Orcas (mammal-hunters), while the whales near Juneau are more of your standard small seafood-eating types (either from Baja or places like Hawaii) so, this is different (for sure). In Vancouver you are likely to have a fast boat experience where everyone wears a life vest as well.

In Skagway we have found a glass-blowing lesson which sounds very interesting. Skagway is one of those locations that is only "open" for the tourists in the summer, and then closes til next spring (in comparison to Juneau, the government center). I'd visit "Chilkootcharters" and look at the options at Skagway: I'd select the longest excursion that fits best into your port visit. Some options include train ride and a guided van excursion.

In our various travels over the past years I have always taken the time to organise things rather than get a travel agent to do the work. Part of the enjoyment of the holiday is finding out what's around before you even get there.

We have planned almost a week in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton and a few days in Victoria. We are planning on a day or two in a couple of other places as well. In Victoria, consider time at the Royal BC Museum and Butchart Gardens (They both have informative web sites.)

New Zealand is a lovely country as is surprisingly bigger than many believe. We have allowed a full day in Vancouver when we land so that we can cure any jet-lag we have. We want our holiday to be relaxing rather than rushing to cram in as much as we can possibly do.

For people coming from the States, would you have any advise on the value of a 10- or 12-night cruise of New Zealand? Either RT Sydney or concluding in Australia, are you familiar with structured options to be introduced there as well? We are not the type that now want to explore by ourselves (although I do have one ex-student there who teaches at the Catholic University).

Thanks, DJ:)

So now I know why the "review" option exists, even for those who are quite experienced on CC: my comments were not kept in the post, even when space was added. So, except for my questions about travel downunder are placed again here:

(1) Whales at Vancouver Island and at Juneau are different criters. At Vancouver Island, I think, you will go out and visit a pod of Orcas ("killer whales") while at Juneau you basically go out to a bay where your expected whales are feeding while at ease (like eating kril and using bubble nets). The Orca experience is likely to incorporate speed, the Juneau experience more like birdwatching with occasional exclamaitions. Some tours will combine a morning visit with a ride over to the Juneau glacier and a chance to walk to the waterfall. Can't tell you how much of a glacier is still visible (we experienced the melting also in Norway: I assume that as with Antarctica, New Zealand is similarly effected? I remember our firsst visit to Glacier Bay, and although still a good experience, the retreat of the glaciers is a sad fact.

(2) Skagway (unlike Juneau) basically closes up once the cruise ships leave. This is the opportunity to take a narrow-gage train into the Yukon. I'd look at Chilkoot Charters and look at pictures and see what excursion fits into your port visit.

(3) For Victoria/Vancouver Island consider reviewing two websites to see if you have an interest: Butchart Gardens and the Royal BC Museum.

You'll have a wonderful time!

DJ:)

Any one have any input on Carnival Glory balcony room 1026 panorama deck 10?? This is our first cruise and I had no idea how to pick a room.

I would put these issues sort of in this order:

(1) Noise: cabins are basically tin cans (you can see how they add cabins whenever) and therefore sound travels. Best bet if a passenger cabin is below and above you. We have found that elevator noise is not an issue, but as people can be loud in the halls late at night (especially if this is not you) you can consider locations where fewer people will pass by (like aft corners).

(2) Convenience/effort: do you want the walking/stairs etc. to balance out eating/drinking or are you unlikely to take a walk on a treadmill on an "At Sea" day? People with physical issues find a convenient location that minimizes walking, while others want that walk to breakfast and to an evening's show.

(3) Movement sensitivity: do you get car sick or nauseous when taking a train ride? Maybe cruising isn't for you? If you need to find out (first experience), where/when/how long you cruise may be as important as where your cabin is located on the ship? Lore says mid-ship, lower deck. After a good many experiences, we have learned that a balcony glass wall and a really good view makes a significant difference. Of course, price is usually an issue that is also most individual.

Good luck,

DJ:)

Any one have any input on Carnival Glory balcony room 1026 panorama deck 10?? This is our first cruise and I had no idea how to pick a room.

its not one I would pick for my first cruise. To far forward to high up.

The higher you go on a ship- the more you will pay

the higher you go on a ship you might feel the sway for the ship.

For me--this room is too far forward- buffet is in the back area. so you will be traveling to eat.

My favorite area to stay on this class ship is 7411.

its convenient to everything- up two decks for food and pool down two decks for entertainment. THe only time I gotta travel is to get to the show lounge

Can you move? your sailing is almost sold out-- there is nothing at all on deck 7.

you could move to 8427

tons on deck 6 but i do not suggest moving there as there are way many noise places.

Edited by serene56

Thank you DJ! The price of the balcony room was not a problem. I tried to pick a room where there is cabins above and below us. There is only three 2 of us and we don't mind the walking, may help walk of done of the food, lol. I was a little concerned after reading some about the difference in the movement of the boat. :)

Thanks Serene! I appreciate your reply. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews about noise from deck chairs above. I might get some earplugs just in case!!

your cabin is closer to the area under the grill then it is being on the pool deck.

There will be a midnight party-- but you will be at that party right?

Is there a site where you can find what's in the blank areas of ships (particularly NCL) on deck plans? Can tell when there's just another cabin across from one but no idea what of the blank areas would be noisy when the stewards are working. Thanks! (Please direct me where to post this if inappropriate here.)

Is there a site where you can find what's in the blank areas of ships (particularly NCL) on deck plans? Can tell when there's just another cabin across from one but no idea what of the blank areas would be noisy when the stewards are working. Thanks! (Please direct me where to post this if inappropriate here.)

google your ships name and cabin number.

or cruise deck plans.

then ask questions with what you are seeing

• 2 weeks later...
We have 11606 on the Dawn for next month. It's under Topsider's Bar which I know isn't open all night. Anyone have a cabin in the general area? Was there noise issues?

This is also for suesrn3...

We have been in a few mini suites on the Dawn and on the Star (sister ships).

We’ve never encountered any problems with noise.

I don’t remember exact locations, but I doubt if Topsiders would be a problem.

We like the mini suites better than the balcony cabins because there is a curtain that can be pulled to separate the sleeping area from the couch and balcony.

Of course, they are also bigger.

Hope this helps,

Judy