Just noticed!

cdkempton

Ahoy!

A question or two comes to mind. How old is this site/board? I just happened to stumble on this board last March or April. And, some of the posts / subject lines appears to go back several years. When do they (board monitors?) delete outdated info, inane chit-chat and that sort of thing?

Just wondering.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Ahoy!

A question or two comes to mind. How old is this site/board? I just happened to stumble on this board last March or April. And, some of the posts / subject lines appears to go back several years. When do they (board monitors?) delete outdated info, inane chit-chat and that sort of thing?

Just wondering.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Several years ago, CC did an upgrade. During the process many previous posts were lost. At least tens of thousands of posts could not be retrieved. Prior to that, I don't recall CC ever deliberately purging threads/posts to reduce the quantity available on the various Boards.

You can see beside posters' names the date on which they joined so you can see how long some folks have been 'hanging out' here.

Thanks, never noticed that -- and another 88 just in the last hour, growing by leaps and bounds.

Rich

When I first joined 13 months ago I watched for a while and the number was growing about 150 to 175 per day. I haven't kept track lately, though.

Ahoy!

Appreciate the info but I guess my question had more to do with the 'history' of the board, storage space that's available (I mean, do posts from years gone by with outdated info stay forever or after a time are they deleted due to aforementioned storage space and to make room for current information?) No big deal really. I just didn't know how they were able to retain so much data for, say, a decade or two, e.g., year 2017 HAL posts = 2 billion.

Again, thank you for your timely reply.

Bon Voyage and, always, Good Health!

Bob, the boards did a conversion in June, 2004. All the threads prior to that were lost, as was the post count of everyone. Our original membership dates were retained.

I just checked and the first thread on the HAL forum dates from the conversion---nothing has been purged that I can see.

Some out of date threads do disappear. For example, the thread for the Zaandam Circle Hawaii cruise, Oct. 7, 2006, under "Cruise Critic Member Cruises", no longer is there. I suspect other such threads have and expiration date after the cruise is over and are removed.

Some out of date threads do disappear. For example, the thread for the Zaandam Circle Hawaii cruise, Oct. 7, 2006, under "Cruise Critic Member Cruises", no longer is there. I suspect other such threads have and expiration date after the cruise is over and are removed.

They survive the Group Cruise by about 6 months, then are consigned to the byte-bucket in the sky.

I have suspected for a long time that there are a couple of people here posting under different names.

I am not one of those people.

Nor I, KK :)

Question: besides any obvious personality similarities, I would imagine that you'd take writing styles into account when suspecting certain posters -- right? It would be pretty hard for a poster to disguise him/herself totally, I would think (especially anyone with such a strong personality that everyone remembers him/her years later! I, for one, wouldn't even try it.

Archived