New to Crusin

Chacooe

As a senior and single, would it be cheaper for me to go with a group and maybe have another single person share a room, or should I just pay the the full price. I have never been on a cruise in my life and I would like to take one to Alaska or down to Mexico (preferably Alaska). So how would I go about finding a room mate if that is the way to go.

Welcome to the world of cruising. Your choice of sailing single or trying to find a roommate would be limited by you ability to pay the extra charges for a single vs you comfort level of rooming with a total stranger.

While I have never traveled single, we have met a number of people who cruise regularly single. I came across a great article at the attached link that may give you some needed information

Cruising Single

My recommendation would be to find a cruise you want to take. Join the Cruise Critic Forum for the cruise. You will meet many before the cruise and find you will not feel alone.

Jim

the problem with cruising solo, the cabin rate...since the rates are set for 2 people, the single rate is almost double what a couple sails for. the good thing about, if you can afford it...you get all that extra room.

You might consider researching local travel clubs in your area. I belong to one here, near Seattle, and have met many other singles who like to travel. If you're concerned about traveling with someone you don't know well, it's a great way to get to know someone first!

• 4 weeks later...

you mean in order to go on a cruise its priced for double occupancy?

my mom wants to go on a cruise and she is going alone. she is 75 years old and just wants to experience the sea.

I see the prices are around 2,000 dollars for where she wants to go, are you saying she could go much cheaper with a bunk mate? and how do I find this info out ? thanks

As a senior and single, would it be cheaper for me to go with a group and maybe have another single person share a room, or should I just pay the the full price. I have never been on a cruise in my life and I would like to take one to Alaska or down to Mexico (preferably Alaska). So how would I go about finding a room mate if that is the way to go.

I think HAL has some single cabin for which they do not charge the single supplement ...ask your TA about this option.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/onboard/single.do

The other suggestion is to join a singles travel group in your area and find someone with the same idea in mind for a cruise

Were it me, I'd cough up the cash and go alone. I couldn't warm up to the idea of sharing a room with someone other than a spouse too well at my age. Not for an Alaskan cruise for sure, but then, that's the way I am. I'd ask your TA about which cruise line would have the best rates for a single cruiser.

Just a suggestion for you, Chacooe:

If you haven't yet done so, cruise on over to the "Solo Cruisers" forum (also listed under Special Interest Cruising) and start reading. There you'll find lots of tips and support from experienced solo cruisers as well as info about deals on the dreaded single supplement.

Happy Sailing! :)

Karlamaria, the cruise says 'per person, double occupancy', which means your Mom would pay $2000 if she had another person in the cabin also paying $2000. Having the cabin to herself, she would pay 150-200% of that $2000. The lowest cabin grades are about 150%, sometimes less, depending on the dates. The percentage increases as the cabin grade increases. EM

you mean in order to go on a cruise its priced for double occupancy?

my mom wants to go on a cruise and she is going alone. she is 75 years old and just wants to experience the sea.

I see the prices are around 2,000 dollars for where she wants to go, are you saying she could go much cheaper with a bunk mate? and how do I find this info out ? thanks

Prices quoted are based on "double occupancy" so if one person will be in that cabin they pay the higher price. Can you affored to go with your mother on her cruise? It seems like a nice time for you two trave, what might be, one more time together. Or can you find another senior (strike that work - senior :eek: ) older person in her age group that will make a good traveling partner?

• 4 months later...

Personally, if I didn't know the other person, I'd rather pay the price and go on my own! The cabins are small, and if you aren't comfortable with the other occupant, it could be a horrible experience! Such close quarters....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to help you with a roommate but what I want to do is encourage you to go to Alaska and NOT Mexico. I've been up and down the Pacific side on land vacations and Mexico is nothing but the slums and you're always hounded by beggars. The only places you won't find beggars and slums is on the grounds of resorts. Do Alaska~ ~ ~ ~ the 8th wonder of the world and God's most beautiful creation.

CIAO, :D

Archived