New Ship

hvsteve1

So there it is. A message from Mark Conroy inviting us aboard the Mariner on March 14 to meet with him and his executive team to give input on what we want to see in a new ship to debut in 1010 or 2011. Darn! I was booked on that cruise and swapped it out for Voyager last month. And I so wanted to give them my idea for the rock climbing wall. Anybody else have some great ideas?

I have two suggestions for the ship itself: keep the ship under 1,000 PAX, and somehow find a way to reduce vibrations. Otherwise, more ships like the present ones would be just fine.

For itineraries, Regent has great exotic itineraries, but it falls down on the ordinary ones: Alaska and the Caribbean. I would use the additional ship to enable the existing ships to sail more interesting cruises in those areas: Kodiak Island and smaller ports in Alaska, Southern Caribbean, Panama Canal, and Costa Rica (and maybe an occasional visit to South America) in or near the Caribbean. I'd also want them to restore some of the itineraries that were dropped when the Diamond was sold: Canada & New England, Bermuda, and, best of all for me, Northern Atlantic routes that include Iceland, Greenland, Norway, and the Faroes. They killed the northern circle route just as I was about to book it, and I'd love to do it.

One question on the boards has been about the suite size -- Voyager or Mariner size suites. The Voyager was built after the Mariner -- it seemed that the decision at the time was to go with larger suites. For us, the Voyager size suites are perfect (just wish it hadn't hit "something" when it was new -- thus causing the infamous aft vibration). Agree that the ship size should be under 1,000 (actually, 700 works well -- any smaller and, like the Navigator, the dining choices diminish (although we do love the Nagivator).

Whatever the size, we hope to be on one of her first cruises in 2011!

Voyager cabin size would be good for standard, but it would be nice if they made the glass go almost wall to wall, with just enough room on the sides to stow the curtains, like the Mariner A, B, and C cabins. The pano view was one of the best features of the Mariner C we were in (the phot doesn't do it justice).

Voyager:

DeluxeSuite_lg.jpg

VOY_deluxe_fp_lg.jpg

Mariner "C":

Penthousesuite_lg.jpg

MAR_penthouse_fp_lg.jpg

Agree that the ship size should be under 1,000 (actually, 700 works well -- any smaller and, like the Navigator, the dining choices diminish (although we do love the Nagivator).

Whatever the size, we hope to be on one of her first cruises in 2011!

My concern is that they do what Celebrity and one of the luxury lines (Seabourn or Silversea) did, and build a ship twice the size of their current ships. 1,400 PAX would be much too large. A Crystal size ship (just under 1,000) wouldn't be as nice as 700, but probably would still be OK.

Better acoustics in Compass Rose, the main dining rooms are very noisy.

No vibration would be good.

But I can't think of much else I'd improve from Voyager, frankly. I think the (minimal) suites are just great.

Keep the PAX around the same number, please don't go bigger.

I miss not having a wraparound promenade deck for walkers. I like to walk after each meal (and not just to the dessert station) and it can be very windy on the jogging track on deck 12.

On a recent Mariner cruise, I noticed far more walkers than joggers on deck 12. I'm not suggesting eliminating the jogging track, there's a need for that, but it would be nice to add a wraparound promenade deck on a lower level. It would have to be a on deck with only public space, such as restaurants, shops etc.

Amen on capping the size at 700 guests! Indeed, I would like to see her at 500 guests maximum. The President of Silversea is quoted as saying, regarding that line's new ship, that she will be no more than 500 guests because it is too difficult to deliver the true luxury experience on a ship with more guests than this. This is only the opinion of a competitor, but one with which I agree.

Hello, as far as a promenade deck, it does not have to be on a level without staterooms. On Crystal, they have a lovely teak deck which goes around Deck 7, which are the staterooms without verandahs. They have the rooms slightly raised and the windows tinted a certain way, so that you could see in only if you pressed your nose against the glass. Seems to work.

That is one area where Crystal really does have a nice advantage - the Promenade Deck is loved by all who use it - it is shaded and protected from the wind.

NJBelle

Personally I think the new ship should combine the best of Mariner and Voyager:

From Mariner - large PH suites

pool deck configuration

From Voyager - every bathroom with shower AND bath

Eliminate vibration problems (I suspect this will be a No 1 goal)

Itineraries - add Mediterrean ports not currently served so that Europeans have a greater choice of "no fly" cruising...specifically add port stops in Libya and Jordan for archeological sights.

NOT any bigger than 700 pax, and the same pax/staff ratio

I am thrilled about the new ship and can't wait to check her out...meantime I will content myself with Mariner Callao/BA nexy week!!!

It's off topic, but I just wanted to comment on the post about Seabourn building a ship twice its size. The Odyssey will have 540 pax. Yes, over twice the current 208, but nonetheless, smaller than this new one we are discussing here.

Regarding the Regent ship, I also hope they don't go back to having staterooms with no balcony. I would be surprised if they are considering that.

I do love children, but not running loose on a ship designed and intended primarily for adults. I would love to see all kiddie facilities absent so that families would be encouraged to take vacations with children on other, slightly larger ships. I'm sorry if this offends anyone.

murphysmum;)

Since Regent has no facilities for kids, in general, don't know what the beef is. Yes, they have modest programs I guess over school breaks, but I can't blame them for that. Our last cruise in December included about 20 children, and they were practically invisible. I don't mind them at all as long as they are well-behaved.

Hi, sorry for forgetting about the types of rooms. I agree - I would vote to keep all balcony as well, so if that is the case - I guess the Promenade Deck would need to be on a level without suites, as orignally suggested.

Hello, as far as a promenade deck, it does not have to be on a level without staterooms. On Crystal, they have a lovely teak deck which goes around Deck 7, which are the staterooms without verandahs. They have the rooms slightly raised and the windows tinted a certain way, so that you could see in only if you pressed your nose against the glass. Seems to work.

That is one area where Crystal really does have a nice advantage - the Promenade Deck is loved by all who use it - it is shaded and protected from the wind.

NJBelle

what makes both the voyager and the mariner so wonderful is their balcony cabins. Frankly, even if the window was tinted, I certainly wouldn't want to wake up to the view of those walking and jogging by me.

Don't want to get too deeply into this subject. . . however, it only took only three children (two different Regent cruises) to make things difficult (not talking about normal kid stuff). We entered the theater after dining in one of the lovely venues on the Voyager only to find three children jumping up and down on the furniture. While listening to a pianist, the same children were rolling down the isles (this only ceased when brought to the attention of Regent staff). Won't go into the issues on the Navigator. I certainly do not blame the children. . . .

So, while many of you had cruises with invisible children, my feeling is that children should be able to play, have wonderful adventures and creative time -- just don't think Regent is going to build a ship to accomodate this.

Debbie -- I agree 100% that Regent should keep their balconies. . . Also hope they continue to offer a variety of dining options . . missed that on the Navigator.

It's off topic, but I just wanted to comment on the post about Seabourn building a ship twice its size. The Odyssey will have 540 pax. Yes, over twice the current 208, but nonetheless, smaller than this new one we are discussing here.

The Odyssey is only 450 passengers; Silverseas' new build is 540.

Has anyone signed up for this March 14 cruise? I am really liking the itinerary. I don't think I can get away for that long but still am consdering it, as I am so anxious to try Mariner, like the idea of this manager's forum, and really like this itinerary.

Those that do go, please keep us informed. There was a great officer's forum on my October sailing, and that sailing had some official name that escapes me. I think they are more into the ideas now and trying to gain a lot of momentum from repeat guests.

Archived