Demographics and the "Requested Dress Code"

dmk

What are they called... besides long gloves?? (My wife wore a pair a year or two ago on a ship...)

Clearly, '50's formal fashion has great appeal in '08 to many cruisers. But I wonder? If '50's fashion is 'good' or 'totally excellent' on formal night today, in 20 years, will 1970's fashion be the pinnacle of retro propriety on cruise ships? That would be worth keeping my health together to cruise for...

I think I can locate a - Dark - Orange REALLY wide lapel bell bottom formal ware suit with a matching 'mindblowing' tie. It'll come back!! If I look hard enough I know I'll find it. After all, it's polyester and has a half life of about 15,000 years.

I wonder if I can book a 2025 cruise yet, to get a lock on that fashion. I'll want to book an antarctic cruise since by then they ought to have a nice pier, Diamonds International, Colombian Emeralds, and a good beach selling sunblock and other necessities.

Ah yes... cruising has its priorities... :D

[quote name='woodofpine']To me, these dress threads always seem to conjure up William F. Buckley making out with Heidi Klum on 'Project Runway'. :D ;) :rolleyes: ;) :D[/quote]
Two hours have passed since you posted this and I can't believe that I'm the first to comment....That is hilarious and sick all wrapped up together.

[quote name='woodofpine']What are they called... besides long gloves?? (My wife wore a pair a year or two ago on a ship...)

Clearly, '50's formal fashion has great appeal in '08 to many cruisers. But I wonder? If '50's fashion is 'good' or 'totally excellent' on formal night today, in 20 years, will 1970's fashion be the pinnacle of retro propriety on cruise ships? That would be worth keeping my health together to cruise for...

I think I can locate a - Dark - Orange REALLY wide lapel bell bottom formal ware suit with a matching 'mindblowing' tie. It'll come back!! If I look hard enough I know I'll find it. After all, it's polyester and has a half life of about 15,000 years.

I wonder if I can book a 2025 cruise yet, to get a lock on that fashion. I'll want to book an antarctic cruise since by then they ought to have a nice pier, Diamonds International, Colombian Emeralds, and a good beach selling sunblock and other necessities.

Ah yes... cruising has its priorities... :D[/QUOTE]

How about us guys break out the old leisure suits...

You know dk, the distinctions between mens formal ware of the '70's and period leisure suits is pretty subtle... and subtlety IS the hallmark of sophistication! Wouldn't you agree?

Bring back puffy shirts with godzilla ruffles! YES!! :D

This IS important stuff!

[quote name='woodofpine']What are they called... besides long gloves?? (My wife wore a pair a year or two ago on a ship...)[/quote]

Woodofpine - Opera gloves...my grandmother had them.

When I was little, I would put on my grandmothers opera gloves, beaded high heeled pumps, and mink stole and glide (read: strut :rolleyes:) around her house as though I were a princess of the blood. I still love gloves, hats, shoes, bags. I don't get to wear fashion gloves/hats often, but you never know when a wedding will crop up! And you might be surprised how many professional gentlemen would ask a college student dressed like a "Lady who lunches" (including pearls and hat!) to lunch!;) Of course, 15 years later I spend my days in sweat pants.:rolleyes:

I have a great fear that mens fashions of the 70's will return. Women? well, we're nuts and the 70's/80's have come and gone repeatedly for us. But men? Please, NO!!! Orange polyester (:eek:)...NICE! I'll watch for you on the ship, I'm pretty sure I'll see you coming!;)

And as for the William F. Buckley/Heidi Klum comment? Nope. I still have nothing to say. My brain froze up somewhere between uproarious laughter and complete horror!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

[quote name='Shipyard Cruiser']What is country club casual ?

Why not just list the items you don't want in the dining room? Like jeans and shorts.[/quote]

I agree. Some of the sloppiest people I have seen not wearing jeans have been at a country club - in Westchester no less! It is just easier if they state what they mean and then mean what they state.

Do you remember Zanzabelts?:eek: those were the pants my
Dad used to wear back in the Leisure Suit era:eek:
Not sure if I spelled the name of them correctly but
this thread is really taking me back.......:confused:

As for wearing your Gramma's clothes?:) My gramma was much
more simple but I still put her high heels on and walked around
her apartment in them;) (she didn't know from Opera gloves).

[quote name='Lois R']Do you remember Zanzabelts?:eek: those were the pants my
Dad used to wear back in the Leisure Suit era:eek:
Not sure if I spelled the name of them correctly but
this thread is really taking me back.......:confused:

As for wearing your Gramma's clothes?:) My gramma was much
more simple but I still put her high heels on and walked around
her apartment in them;) (she didn't know from Opera gloves).[/quote]

Lois - It's always nice to have the opportunity to say "hello" to you!

Zanzabelts? Never heard of them...have I? What were they? I guess I need to watch a Brady Bunch re-run.

I have this mental picture of hundreds of Mr. Bradys walking into the DR on X. Polyester suits, crazy polyester shirts, white shoes and belts. And on formal nite, powder blue tuxes with ruffled shirts, and white shoes and belts. Maybe jeans and t's aren't so bad after all?

I guess we all did the grandma's clothes thing. It's fun to play dress up....no matter what our age!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

[quote name='CatServants']Lois - It's always nice to have the opportunity to say "hello" to you!

Zanzabelts? Never heard of them...have I? What were they? I guess I need to watch a Brady Bunch re-run.

I have this mental picture of hundreds of Mr. Bradys walking into the DR on X. Polyester suits, crazy polyester shirts, white shoes and belts. And on formal nite, powder blue tuxes with ruffled shirts, and white shoes and belts. Maybe jeans and t's aren't so bad after all?

I guess we all did the grandma's clothes thing. It's fun to play dress up....no matter what our age!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise[/quote]

I am sure you have seen them....polyester pants....the belt
was sort of attached to them? Maybe one of the guys on here
would know how to describe them? They were actually
(if memory serves) considered a dressy pant..way back when....

The brand was the same as the style...if you could call them
a style?:eek:

Our grandparents came from all different cultures.....my Mom's
parents were New Yorkers......my Dad's Mom immigrated
from Russia.
Gramma Anna (NY) had those gloves....Gramma Rose did not.
But they both loved it when I put on there stuff;)

I still like jeans and t-shirts too:D but love dressing up on
formal nights!

[quote name='Drew B']Zanzabelts = Sans-a-belts (meaning without a belt). They were polyester trousers with elastic waist bands. Thus they did not require a belt.[/quote]

Drew, thanks...I had no idea why they were called that...geezzz:eek:
Right, an elastic...oyyyy!

Sadly, salesmen in the '70's thought that not only were these pants the height of fashion for fathers, but for those of us about-to-be-teenagers forced to shop in the "Husky" section. (always resented that name!) Now, I don't know about all YOUR fashion sense, but I really don't think it's good for a fat boy's ego to put a wide swath of fabric, delineated by fancy stitching, across the widest part! Couldn't even cinch a belt to make me look like I had a waist! Put that together with one of those disco polyester shirts where the buttons didn't meet in my middle, and the pattern was a very large baby blue and medium brown houndstooth, and you'll get quite the visual. The '70's were just plain cruel to little fat kids like me.:mad:

Thanks Drew and Lois for the description. I can always count on you! Sounds spiffy and very classy. Hind sight is always 20/20. Yeah! Let's bring back men's fashions from the 70's! I'll be dining in my cabin every nite, thank you very much!;):D And wearing sun glasses to protect my eyes from the neon colors...and aren't leisure suits combustible?...and....;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

[quote name='Blazerboy']Sadly, salesmen in the '70's thought that not only were these pants the height of fashion for fathers, but for those of us about-to-be-teenagers forced to shop in the "Husky" section. (always resented that name!) Now, I don't know about all YOUR fashion sense, but I really don't think it's good for a fat boy's ego to put a wide swath of fabric, delineated by fancy stitching, across the widest part! Couldn't even cinch a belt to make me look like I had a waist! Put that together with one of those disco polyester shirts where the buttons didn't meet in my middle, and the pattern was a very large baby blue and medium brown houndstooth, and you'll get quite the visual. The '70's were just plain cruel to little fat kids like me.:mad:[/quote]

Blazerboy - LOL! Too cruel! Too cruel! I know it wasn't funny then, but now... And look what it did for you...you are no longer among the fashion challenged!:)

Denise

I looked quite dashing in that white poly suit with the bell bottoms, stacked heels..., and one chest hair barely sticking out.....

It was an upgrade from the sears tough skins "huskys" I used to wear.....

Andrew you brough back NIGHTMARES!!!

To think I was all over the dance floor in those platforms and now I fall off my cowboy boots...LOL...

At least I don't have to glue hair on my chest to look butch nowadays....LOL again.

I'll have to find a pic and post it!

Dave:eek:

[quote name='woodofpine']You know dk, the distinctions between mens formal ware of the '70's and period leisure suits is pretty subtle... and subtlety IS the hallmark of sophistication! Wouldn't you agree?

Bring back puffy shirts with godzilla ruffles! YES!! :D

This IS important stuff![/QUOTE]

Your right, I went to a wedding in the late 90s and the brides father wore a leisure suit. Quite a few laughs about that but he was a cheapo who was somewhat well off.

[quote name='bububr']I looked quite dashing in that white poly suit with the bell bottoms, stacked heels..., and one chest hair barely sticking out.....

It was an upgrade from the sears tough skins "huskys" I used to wear.....

Andrew you brough back NIGHTMARES!!!

To think I was all over the dance floor in those platforms and now I fall off my cowboy boots...LOL...

At least I don't have to glue hair on my chest to look butch nowadays....LOL again.

I'll have to find a pic and post it!

Dave:eek:[/quote]

darling bububr - I'm picturing it.....I'm picturing it.... Ahhhh. There it is. Dignity. Always Dignity!;)

djk - The poor bride. How do you explain that to your new in-laws. "Dad just wants to boogie, oogie, oogie til he just can't boogie no more"?!:D

Denise

Hey Blazerboy...You just got my attention.You are definitely familiar with my area.We will be bringing Wente,Murrietas Well and Wood family Vineyard wines in addition to Cedar Mountain depending on what we can carry on.Our son is one of the Winemakers at Cedar Mountain.They make a great Port.It's amazing to me.We have done 5 Celebrity cruises in 6 years and each time hooked up with people that know Livermore wines.The Celebrity food and wine pairing actually is all Livermore wine and the Celebrity souvenier Chardonnay is a Wente wine.Our little valley is pretty well represented...:) Kathy

I know noticed a large change in my father who passed away a few years ago. He had a clerical job in the railroad industry throughout most of his life. He would go to work wearing a dress shirt usually no tie.

He also periodically had second jobs like selling paint at sears. There he would wear a white shirt and tie.

After he retired the seemed to lose connection with social graces when it came to dress. It was a gradual thing but it got worse and worse.

To the point that he wore a paint stained t-shirt at my cousins wedding.

My mother has been gone for many years and she probably would have kept him in line but the point I am making is it seems people who don't have expectations made of them can drift off in all sorts of directions.

In my fathers case it was pretty bad. If I were to dress him, he would have been ok but on his own he just didnt see it.

[quote name='Lois R']Drew, thanks...I had no idea why they were called that...geezzz:eek:
Right, an elastic...oyyyy![/quote]

are these the same mens pants that were called "Angel Flights" in the 70's?
Polyester, no belt, with seams down the center front of the leg? Disco Days! LOL

My wife, myself and her son recently cruised on the Celebrity Century, and were surprised at how many passengers simply ignored any "dress code". On the first night dinner in the main dining room, we three sat a table with five family members (grandpa and grandma, mom and her teen-age son and daughter), and my stepson leaned over to me and said "I thought I couldn't wear shorts to dinner?" as he pointed out that the teen-age son and daughter of this family at our table were wearing shorts and T-shirts. We then took a look around the main DR and saw many people, adults included, wearing shorts and t-shirts. This was supposed to be forbidden in the evening in the main DR.

Formal night? I wore a dark suit, but lots of men wore cordoroy jackets and khakis - on a formal night. A few gentlemen wore tuxedos, and they were indeed "older", perhaps in their 60s or 70s.

And the staff in the dining room say nothing, perhaps not wanting to jeopordize their tips at the end of the cruise?

If you want to avoid feeling uncomfortable about the alleged dress code, try the new casual restaurant on many Celebrity ships. My suite's butler told me that the food is actually fresher in the casual restaurant (a reservation is actually needed for dinner at the casual restaurant), because they do not pre-cook any dishes like they do in the main DR. So, dishes are not cooked until ordered. We ate in the casual restaurant on the Century two separate nights, and we enjoyed it more than the main DR. And my stepson especially enjoyed not having to dress up at all in the casual restaurant.

Archived