Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]My 11 years sailing Seabourn I've encountered [I]only[/I] 2 really undesireables ~ one man who was totally obnoxious (no one had anything to do with him) and one woman who was, what I call, '[I]a wanta be[/I] ~ Seabourn sailor's are some of the most gracious and down-to-earth folks I've ever known! Sweet, kind and thoughtful:p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I always look forward in seeing old friends and meeting new ones on a Seabourn ship![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]MB[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think one problem, sometimes, is that there is no recognised emoticon for 'this comment is tongue-in-cheek' which makes it difficult to differentiate between a flippant comment and one which should be considered offensive.

Overally I think (as a newbie) that the boards seem to reflect a balance of what we find in life - most folks are reasonable, some are plain odd and there are one or two who insist on making their point, even if others find it offensive. I'm not talking specifically about this post, but just lurking on the forum I can scroll through threads and recognise some of the posts as being from the more .... searches for an appropriate descriptive .... challenging members!

It's all 'life's great tapestry' or whatever :)

We were a bit apprehensive about who we would meet the first time we cruised, and, guess what? We met nice folks, interesting folks, weird folks - and the occasional bumptious snob. We cultivated the interesting ones and avoided the bumptious ones:rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone that responded ---I am feeling a lot better about the cruise---I know that no matter where you go there will likely be someone who isn't going to become your "new best friend" but it seems to me anybody can be friendly and gracious-- even if they don't want to spend any time getting to know you, they do not have to treat you as if you were not worthy of their time.
I am truly excited about the trip and I know it will be a wonderful new experience--I treasure the opportunity for a "first time I've ever done this" feeling!!!
Thanks again for the reassurances--maybe this also helped another "new-to-cruising" person feel more confident about their trip.

Actually, I both knew and agreed with the comments posted about obnoxious people being in the minority. I am also aware that less than 10% of cruisers are CC members.

I posted mainly because the thread was becoming abhorrent to me, and I wanted people to realize how they sounded and end it. Seems to have worked!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='JaneBP']Who says the large ships don't rock and roll?

[URL]http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/10/freedom-of-the-seas-weather-damage-port-canaveral/552120/1?csp=Travel[/URL][/quote]

Wow:eek:

..................................................................................................

" Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get" Forest Gump Edited by MARIANH

I think the topic changed right out from under me! I was responding to the fears of a new Seabourn passenger who was afraid of being in a crowd of elites, & couldn't say enough to allay her fears about that on Seabourn, our favorite cruise line. Edited by shedridt

[quote name='CraftyEC']I think one problem, sometimes, is that there is no recognised emoticon for 'this comment is tongue-in-cheek' which makes it difficult to differentiate between a flippant comment and one which should be considered offensive.

[/quote]

I agree. It often helps to take comments with a few grains of sodium chloride.

I have found furthermore that British humour is not always well understood by some of our cousins across the pond. In particular, many do not seem to "get"irony. I find that quite ironic.

[quote name='MARIANH']I agree. It often helps to take comments with a few grains of sodium chloride.

I have found furthermore that British humour is not always well understood by some of our cousins across the pond. In particular, many do not seem to "get"irony. I find that quite ironic.[/quote]

MarianH I do love reading your posts. The other day I typed out a joke regarding Poms - not offensive hopefully, but then felt I did not dare put it out for the CC public in case it was found unsuitable by our Aussie friends. The one about Brits arriving at the immigration desk in Oz - I am sure you know it (probably wrote it).

[quote name='lincslady']MarianH I do love reading your posts. The other day I typed out a joke regarding Poms - not offensive hopefully, but then felt I did not dare put it out for the CC public in case it was found unsuitable by our Aussie friends. The one about Brits arriving at the immigration desk in Oz - I am sure you know it (probably wrote it).[/quote]

That really isn't very humorous, leaving us making our own punch line up.:p

[quote name='OrpingtonT']That really isn't very humorous, leaving us making our own punch line up.:p[/quote]

Apologies - but I thought all Brits knew it, and in any case it is only mildly amusing - your made up punch line would probably be much better.;)

[quote name='redheadednancy']You could redeem yourself by publishing the joke about Poms for all us curious ones!! :)[/quote]

OK - but it will now be a complete anticlimax.

Brit. arriving at Oz immigration is asked 'Have you got a criminal record?' To which the obvious reply is 'I didn't realise it was still a condition of entry.' So they stopped asking it.

Well, I did say it was only mildly amusing.:)

[quote name='lincslady']OK - but it will now be a complete anticlimax.

Brit. arriving at Oz immigration is asked 'Have you got a criminal record?' To which the obvious reply is 'I didn't realise it was still a condition of entry.' So they stopped asking it.

Well, I did say it was only mildly amusing.:)[/quote]

Of the many Oz jokes that spring to mind, I recall only one that has a chance of escaping the axe man. Told to us in a wonderful bar in Cobh last year.

Australian tourist on his way to Dublin pops into an Irish bar. "G'Day,can anyone can tell me the quickest way to get to Dublin?"

Paddy " and will you be walking or driving Sir?"

Australian " driving"

Paddy " then that will be the quickest way Sir" :eek:

In Nancy Pearl's third Book [B]Lust To Go,[/B] she tackles travel. These aren't Lonely Planet guides: you aren't going to learn language or customs or cheap places to stay. Instead, it collects a list of titles based on the destination. You want books set in Finland? There's a section for that, and it includes fiction and nonfiction from the region, as well as history books that may be useful. She covers the world with books; even the most obscure countries and cities have titles listed. Being able to see a grouping of several genres in one geographical category makes this the ultimate resource if you are studying a particular area or doing a regional reading challenge.

• 3 weeks later...