Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

[quote name='JaneBP']Poor Uncle Mickey

ttp://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/carnival-cruise-micky-arison-list-/595677/1?csp=Travel[/quote]

[I][COLOR=darkorchid]You forgot the "h" Jane.... I still read the article;).[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Happy new year![/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#9932cc]Marja[/COLOR][/I]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]As promised.....My Grandmother's Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]June, Ex. pastry Chef, baked this for a special teatime treat aboard a Pride TA Crossing one year! He received "raves!" I baked one and mailed it to Seabourn Corp. Blue Lagoon Dr. for the office team to have with their coffee one year ~ Deborah N., our President then, e-mailed me and wanted the recipe![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]3 c. sugar, creamed with 1 c. Crisco (cream well)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Add 6 eggs, one at a time, beating well into sugar/Crisco mixture[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Add 2 teaspoons vanilla[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Mix well[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]3 c. flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon soda ~ Mix together[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Alternate the flour mixture with 1 c. buttermilk into batter until well mixed.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Spoon into a [I]very [/I]well greased and floured tube pan. I prefer the old-fashioned tube, but some gals use a bundt pan.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Bake 300 degrees for 1 hour and 15/20 min.'s. (the top will be lightly brown and crusty)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I cool it before turning it onto my cake platter. Wrap in foil, if desired.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Also freezes well.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Enjoy![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Martita B.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thank you Miss M:D

I haven't heard of Crisco (have just googled it to find out what it was! LOL!) and am not sure if we have it in the UK but will find an alternative and let you know how it turns out! The Scottish version of Memaw's Buttermilk Pound Cake!:);)

[quote name='fairbourne']Maybe someone could help?

I just googled Crisco - what would be the product equivalent here in the UK? Trex (vegetable lard??) or something similar? I haven't used this product, so any Brit Bakers give me some advice please? Thanks:)[/quote]

Cisco=Lard in the UK....Thank You Miss Martita B. for the yummy recipe!:D

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I just did some investigating......Crisco in the UK is called Cookeen[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]You will find it in the baking aisle of most supermarkets.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]It's a "veggie shortening.":p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]A secret is to well grease your pan with the Cookeen and flour it ~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]At times I will drizzle a glaze over the cake while it's still warm ~but it's not necessary ~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]MB[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by Martita B.

[quote name='Martita B.'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I just did some investigating......Crisco in the UK is called Cookeen[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]You will find it in the baking aisle of most supermarkets.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]It's a "veggie shortening.":p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]A secret is to well grease your pan with the Cookeen and flour it ~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]At times I will drizzle a glaze over the cake while it's still warm ~but it's not necessary ~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]MB[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Cookeen! That's a very familiar name from my childhood LOL! I had forgotten all about it but now you mention it, I remember well my Mum baking with Cookeen. So apparently yes you can get it in the major supermarkets here so I will track it down! Thanks again Miss M for not only getting me the right name but bringing back happy memories and although this might sound silly - the wonderfull smells of baking (and licking the bowl ;):p) that go with those memories!:)
I was telling the DH and of course the question was "well, when are you baking Miss M's cake?" "Soon", was the answer!:D I expect he'll want to lick the bowl now! LOL!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Fairbourne[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Why don't we re-name the Pound Cake? Seabourn Scalawag Buttermilk Pound Cake?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]A [I]true[/I] funny story.....'when raising our 2 children in a very small /village town in West Texas (Ozona-half way between San Antonio and El Paso) when a resident died, everyone in town would take food to the saddened and grieved family home. I always baked the Buttermilk Pound Cake ~would take it on a pretty white paper doily and platter. My young Son was a "pistol" ~he was all over town on his bicycle and would soon hear of the "day's deaths!"Well, when Master John would learn of a [I]demise, [/I] he would peddle as fast as he could home to tell me, "'poor'ole Mrs. Smith died in her sleep last night.......Mama, you better go in and bake them your funeral cake......[I]and sign my name on the card TOO!"[/I] (he's still a [I]pistol[/I] ~more like a shotgun, now) Sooo, I would hurry into the kitchen, bake the funeral cake and 'run it over to the Smith family![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Awwww.....those were the 'good 'ole days! THE good news is, in West Texas, "today, we still take delicious food to families who have lost a loved one....."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Let's not call it "our funeral pound cake....":eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Sending big hug's across the pond,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sounds like a 'Tea Time Treat' to me! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Can you bake it in loaf pans, do you think? I no longer have my great old tube/bundt pan. Passed it on to the next generation of bakers in the family.

[quote name='JaneBP']Sounds like a 'Tea Time Treat' to me! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Can you bake it in loaf pans, do you think? I no longer have my great old tube/bundt pan. Passed it on to the next generation of bakers in the family.[/quote]

FYI, they had the GrandMa Cake again at Tea Time here today onboard the Legend.:D

[url]http://www.gadling.com/2012/01/06/worlds-worst-places-top-10-places-you-do-not-want-to-visit-in/?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008[/url]

[url]http://www.gadling.com/2012/01/03/ten-big-travel-adventures-for-2012/[/url] Edited by JaneBP

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Jane[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Back to the Pound cake.....I wouldn't use 'meat loaf pans ~if you do decide to bake it just buy a new tube or bundt pan. I have an old-fashioned tube pan which I love ~was my Mothers which works perfect ~I don't like or use bundt pans.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Also, for lemon 'lover's, you can sub lemon extract (1 teasp) instead of the vanilla. I use Costa Rica rich/pure vanilla ~best ever:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Martita B[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="Purple"] [SIZE="3"]Hello Miss M
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
Yes, what a great name - The Seabourn Scalawag Buttermilk Pound Cake it is!

I have just devoured cheese scones for a late lunch - now they are sooo good with lashings of butter and jam, or you could have them toasted with lashings of butter and cheese - we sometimes have them for a late breakfast yummy!

And Bosey's to you too (Scottish word for big hugs pronounced bowsee) :D
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][COLOR="Red"][B]Hi Seabourntraveller[/B][/COLOR] - I am so glad you are enjoying your tea time treats and telling us all about them!!:p:D And as for rubbing our noses in it with the mention of those delicious mouth-wateringly delicious Nigerian Shrimps!!!:D;) Enjoy, enjoy, I am only jealous LOL![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks for the good advice, Miss M. I had two wonderful pans, which, as I said, I passed on as my baking times decreased. Truth be told, I am now into buying the choc chip cookie dough already made and spooning some out as a treat. I have never been the baker in the family except for one sheet cake recipe. I do love shortbreads (today is National Shortbread Day) and buy Walker's in bulk from Amazon.
This last Spirit cruise, I would occasionally get a plate of cookies for dessert at lunch, but was singularly unimpressed with the selection as opposed to really yummy varieties on the Sojourn crossing.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Jane[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]As the pound cake freezes so well why don't you invest in a new tube pan and bake it? The recipe is so easy ~and quick! (except for the baking time) I usually cut it in half ~wrap it in foil and freeze the other half. Worth the time and effort ~[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]This was Herman Diaz's very favorite cake ~I would bake one for him, fly with it to Ft Laud, then when he hosted his famous "pre-Crossing" cocktail parties (in his elegant hi-rise) he would serve it! 'Little squares with fancy toothpicks ~we'd laugh and say, "ohhh, cocktails and pound cake!":confused: He always served delicious canapes, too. ~~I miss him soooo much! Such a 'character....and was sooo interesting and fun!:D Everyone loved Mr. Seabourn.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
LIST: BEST AND WORST AIRPORT TERMINALS
The world's 10 best and worst airport terminals, as ranked by Frommers.com.
Best:
1. Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) Hajj Terminal
2. Leifur Eriksson Air Terminal, Keflavik, Iceland
3. Seoul (South Korea) Incheon Airport
4. Wellington (New Zealand) "Rock" Terminal
5. New York JFK Airport Terminal 5
6. Singapore Changi International Airport Terminal 3
7. Marrakech (Morocco) Menara Airport Terminal 1
8. Madrid (Spain) Barajas Terminal 4
9. Carrasco International Airport, Montevideo, Uruguay
10. Bilbao (Spain) Airport Main Terminal
Worst:
1. New York JFK Airport Terminal 3
2. Manila (Philippines) Airport Terminal 1
3. Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Terminal B/C
5. Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport, Terminal 3
6. Amman (Jordan) Queen Alia Airport
7. New York LaGuardia Airport Terminal 5
8. Terminal B at Newark Liberty International Airport
9. Paris' Beauvais Airport
10. Chicago Midway Airport

Sorry, No tigers or lions...but I do have 250 "head" of wild turkeys! They are great fun to watch ~the big 'ole beautifully feathered gobblers dance to attract the 'tacky dressed hens! (I practiced and learned the big 'ole'gobblers dance ~need the right music, however:confused:) One day when we sail together I'll 'turkey dance for 'ya!

I also love our deer ~~sooo elegant! We don't allow any killing of any animals on the ranch....we simply feed and water'em and then I guess they die of old age!:D

Have a great week!

Martita B

Hello Ms Martita... You wont remember me ... but I think I met you a few years ago on the Pride (March 2006) ! Are you the American lady that 'Tickled the Pride Pink ' ?? :D

If so, you were very kind to me ( just after my mother passed away) as it was one my of my first cruises alone .....

I'm joining the Quest in Hong Kong - Venice and I understand you'll be joining too ? ...... I'll look forward to having a drink & chat with you.

Bell Boy:)

Hello Ms Martita... You wont remember me ... but I think I met you a few years ago on the Pride (March 2006) ! Are you the American lady that 'Tickled the Pride Pink ' ?? :D

If so, you were very kind to me ( just after my mother passed away) as it was one my of my first cruises alone .....

I'm joining the Quest in Hong Kong - Venice and I understand you'll be joining too ? ...... I'll look forward to having a drink & chat with you.

Bell Boy:)

Hi Bell Boy!

I'm not sure if Martita will be on board this cruise....

I will be on the same leg... and I also was on that Pride March sailing with the Pink Party! Maybe we know each other ;)!

Marja