American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

It appears that if you made reservations prior to May 12th you will not be affected. From AA website.

"Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."

If you booked before May 12, 2008, you are able to check 2 bags at no charge!!!! YEAH, we booked in April!!!!:p

Get a grip people! Traveling is expensive, I can't remember a time when it wasn't. If your travel budget is so tight that a few extra charges here and there are going to make a difference, then you should probably go camping. :rolleyes:

I don't like to spend any more money then I have to, but we need to take a deep breath and relax. ;)

In reality it's cheaper to fly cross country now than it was several years ago. When my daughter was attending Boston University the average cost of airfare to get her home was around $400...I think the most I paid was $550 from Boston to Vegas, and that was 10 years ago.

Last month I flew to San Juan, PR for $400!!:eek:

With the rate of airlines that go under, and the fact that we are all so dependent on air travel, I can't blame the airlines for trying to stay afloat in this mini-recession and with oil so expensive. We are going to be much happier if the airlines stay around. Can you imagine a world with only a few airlines....and you think $15 is sticking it to you??:confused:

Margie, you have committed a logic foul. You know you are not allowed to use logic in CC arguements! :D ;)

jc

The point is, I would much rather be spending that extra $15/bag ($30 pp for DH and I) on a few cocktails or dinner at a specialty restaurant onboard.

And as for your comment about going camping if you can't afford a few extra dollars is uncalled for; you shouldn't make people feel ashamed b/c they are on a budget. Some of us budget all year just to take a nice cruise and get away from it all.

For my September cruise, I booked my tickets on AA 330 days out using my free air miles. So, I know I am safe as far as having them before May, as far as the luggage fee goes. Unless free miles do not count? EDIT: (I just found that information on the AA site and I am covered to take my baggage for free. 2 bags each) This site answers all questions. ;)

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

They are bad enough normally with canceling flights and changing times.

Now I wonder if I will even have a flight to get on?

It appears that if you made reservations prior to May 12th you will not be affected. From AA website.

"Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."

And just how are you going to PROVE when you bought your ticket? How long are you going to have to stand in line to "argue" with the ticket attendant that you should NOT be paying the $15?

Just heard on the news that starting June 15, 2008, AA will now charge $15 for a bag surcharge starting with your first bag. The reason they gave was high fuel charges. And you would think the fuel surcharge would be enough?

Here are the exceptions from the AA website..........

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

• For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008
  • For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
  • Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
  • Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
  • Customers traveling on government or military fares
  • Military passengers on active duty
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
  • oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
  • AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
  • First and Business upgrades confirmed prior to check in
  • Airpass travel

Thanks, that takes care of our problem for January as we booked a few weeks before the May 12th posting date. Looks like I don't have to cut down on the packing for the NEXT cruise and will not be accessed the extra charge at check in, but after that, who knows?

With this new charge - the overhead luggage will be out of control and worse than it is now, with people trying to avoid the charge and packing the overhead bins.

You will really have to pay attention when they say 'be carefull when opening the overhead bins' because the luggage in there will probably be very large and heavy and cause major damage to passengers when it lands on your head....seems like more of a liability for the airlines.:(

How can they expect you to take a trip to anywhere without any luggage:confused: . Doesn't seem right - I can see the charge for the 2nd bag, but not the first....

I am hopeful that, in light of the checked bag fees, the airlines will be more aggressive in enforcing their carryon policies to avoid the scenario you describe above.

In my community, we are paying the highest gas prices in the United States ... and I understand that the airlines need to reduce the red ink to stay afloat. An added fee of $15/way for the first bag is not a king's ransom, it's more like a couple of foo-foo drinks or a couple of gallons of gas for my economy car.

These fees, unfortunately, are the wave of the future and a signal that Americans' sense of entitlement is sure to wane.

Just heard on the news that starting June 15, 2008, AA will now charge $15 for a bag surcharge starting with your first bag. The reason they gave was high fuel charges. And you would think the fuel surcharge would be enough?

And I thought you were talking about the drinkers meeting! Might make you start.

Well I am going to make sure I really enjoy my next couple of cruises because if this keeps up, I will be priced out of any vacations. I am already wondering how I fly my grand kids here once or twice a year and go on a cruise. Given my Mom uses a walker and takes small wheel chair, will they be charging her for her luggage and mobility apparatus?

Carol

Unfortunately I think this is just the sneaky way the airlines are raising prices. Sooner or later we're just going to see a flat air fare hike in addition to all the niggling little add-ons.

If you booked before May 12, 2008, you are able to check 2 bags at no charge!!!! YEAH, we booked in April!!!!:p

We booked May 6th - just 6 days before!! So glad I booked when I did!! :D :D :D

And just how are you going to PROVE when you bought your ticket? How long are you going to have to stand in line to "argue" with the ticket attendant that you should NOT be paying the $15?

I would think that when they pull up your name in the computer it will say when you made your reservation so they know whether or not to charge you. I always bring a copy of my confirmation with me anyways just in case.

A dated confirmation document is provided by the airline. No need to "argue".

Jet Blue is starting to charge for a second bag on June 1st, that really stinks about the surcharge though :(

I think they should crack down on carry-ons, I flew Delta in March and it was chaos. I sat and watched people wheeling these beyond carry-on sized bags on the plane and holding up everyone while they tried to find room to stow it. We ended up leaving late because they had to take some stuff off the plane and have it put in with the regular luggage. Not looking forward to flying these days, too many changes.

Unless other carriers follow suit' date=' this charge probably won't hold.

[/quote']

Those words keep bouncing around and around. I heard it when the fuel surcharges were first announced. Heard it again when the second bag fee was announced. I think it's safe to say that it's no longer a matter of the charges not holding but more a matter of how long before the other carriers make their announcements.

I'm still in awe of the price of flying in general. If you book early and watch the prices and have some flexibility IMO decent airfare is still very much possible. My first adult flight was $188 on Us Air to Orlando 15 years ago. Given the economy and the cost of fuel along with airlines merging and going under todays prices are still reasonable.

As far as the airlines that have grandfathered passengers who have purchased tickets in before these changes were announced ....anyone fly recently that was excluded from the second bag rule? I am curious as to how effecient the airlines are going to be in handling this. I won't know until I check in for a US Air flight in July. I purchased airfare last year for that flight long before they announced second bag fees. We are supposed to be excluded from the charge but I'm curious to see how they handle that one. I know the computers are supposed to show this info so hopefully it will be a non-issue...unless of course their system is down :rolleyes:

I have my charge card receipt, they still charge a process fee for free tickets and my confirmation from the airline when I printed out my E tickets and receipts on line as proof. Also the deduction from my airmiles on my monthly statement.

So I know I am OK in that department.

If others pay by charge card, etc. that should also be proof, or get it from their TA's if need be.

The point is, I would much rather be spending that extra $15/bag ($30 pp for DH and I) on a few cocktails or dinner at a specialty restaurant onboard.

And as for your comment about going camping if you can't afford a few extra dollars is uncalled for; you shouldn't make people feel ashamed b/c they are on a budget. Some of us budget all year just to take a nice cruise and get away from it all.

Sorry but I don't see where she was trying to make anyone feel ashamed but was clearly stating the facts. Costs are going up for everyone. The airlines are in the business to make a profit as are any other business. This is just the cost involved when traveling.

Just saw on Fox News that they are charging 15.00 for the first bag.

Fred

At this rate do you think we'll see an increase in the all nude cruises ??? ;) Not that I'd ever go on one lolol Just thinking of what an incredible deal this is for those people lol

I just bought tickets for DH and me to fly to from LA to Miami for $159.50 each, one way, in December. I still can't believe how low that price was. So it's no surprise that they're trying to recoup it somewhere else (although I guess they won't be getting it from me since I booked before the deadline:) ).

I remember flying to New York in the early 1980s for $298 round trip. The last time I flew (October) it was $350, so the cost of air travel is waaaay behind the rate of inflation. I still grouse about it the way my father grouses about movies that cost him a nickel now costing $9, though.:rolleyes:

Archived