Carnival or RCI

luv2cruise5

Which is better? We have always cruised Carnival but were considering RCI next year...but have mixed emotions. Nightlife? Camp for kids? food? I tried searching but my computer would not let me! Sorry, any help is appreciated.

You would get more specific answers if you posted which ships you were debating between. I loved Voyager but didnt care for the cabin on SOV, so the ship makes a difference to what I would answer.

Bottom line is they are both very similar in most ways.

We are trying to go out of Tampa or Port canaveral... So GOS for RCI or Inspiration for Carnival....maybe even Glory. we are trying to do a 5 day. I have been on both Carnival ships and loved them both, but others in our group want to try something different.

When all is said and done both lines offer good experiences. The decor on RCI ships tends to be more sedate, to some tastes more refined. The cabins on Carnival tend to be slightly larger. Carnival bedding is, in my estimation, vastly superior, but no one should lose any sleep on RCI because of the bedding.

I find Carnival ships slightly more boisterous, a little more fun. But I do like the fact that the waiters don't sing every night on RCI ships. I'm not big on entertainment so I haven't found much difference between the two lines. But the ice shows on some RCI ships are worth the hassle of getting tickets.

I've found Carnival dining room food much superior to what is offered in RCI dining rooms. But I've also found RCI buffets slightly better than those on Carnival. Although if you are willing to line up Carnival offers really good deli, Asian, etc. windows on some ships.

Not much difference in terms of quality of product in the specialty restaurants. Personally I've not found any of them really worth it, many others have.

Can't comment on kids programs.

I like the adult pool areas on RCI much more than those on Carnival.

I'm not a fan of RCI hotel staff. Have had a few encounters that have left me thinking that a number of them find "guests" an inconvenience. Perhaps a few bad apples?

There are those who vastly prefer one line to the other. Personally, all else being equal I would pick Carnival, by a narrow margin. But I would never turn down a cruise on RCI. I love to cruise and have had great experiences on both lines.

Try RCI. You will probably have a good time. At the very least you'll end up knowing why you like Carnival so much. And, who knows, you just might find RCI more to your taste.

I have cruised both a number of times but Carnival is still my favorite. Carnival is more FUN. I find much less nightlife on RCCL and the bartenders had no personality. I like to sit at the bar, meet new friends and have a friendly and fun bartender.

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. We have cruised on the Carnival Glory and RCI's Navigator. We enjoyed both, although the Navigator was a much nicer ship, the Glory definately had the better food. I absolutely loved the fish & chips bar and the pizza station on the glory. Unfortunately the Navigator only had the Promanade cafe which served not so good pizza, little prepared sandwiches and desserts. All in all I would not hesitate to go on either again. It was nice though to have the experience of both.

Which is better? We have always cruised Carnival but were considering RCI next year...but have mixed emotions. Nightlife? Camp for kids? food? I tried searching but my computer would not let me! Sorry, any help is appreciated.

As you posted this on Carnival Cruise Lines threads, most replies will favor Carnival. If you post on RCI threads, most will favor RCI. Too many variables, time of year impacts weather and cruiser ages, small vs. larger ship, new vs. old ship, etc. Just remember, it is your vacation and you need to relax, find the right cruise for you/family, and have a great time, as you will be on a cruise.:cool:

When all is said and done both lines offer good experiences. The decor on RCI ships tends to be more sedate, to some tastes more refined. I agree on this note whole heartly...classy is how I would describe it. The cabins on Carnival tend to be slightly larger except on RCCI just off Marner the balcony cabin was larger then Carnival and the Jr Suite was bigger and better layout the Cat 11. Carnival bedding is, in my estimation, vastly superior, but no one should lose any sleep on RCI because of the bedding. This is SO try except I did not sleep well on RCCI beds very hard and rocks for pillows.

I find Carnival ships slightly more boisterous, a little more fun. Carnival is a lot wilder, but we found young teens much better behaved on RCCI much older crowd over all but still enough people to keep clubs going at night and they had their shares of over indulgers. But I do like the fact that the waiters don't sing every night on RCI ships. Dining room service was much nicer we liked the lack of tacking singing by the serviers. I'm not big on entertainment so I haven't found much difference between the two lines. But the ice shows on some RCI ships are worth the hassle of getting tickets. No hassle at all to get tickets....and comedians and live entertainment on RCCI were good.

I've found Carnival dining room food much superior to what is offered in RCI dining rooms.Ditto food much better on Carnival but RCCI won't kill ya. But I've also found RCI buffets slightly better than those on Carnival. Although if you are willing to line up Carnival offers really good deli, Asian, etc. windows on some ships.

Not much difference in terms of quality of product in the specialty restaurants. Personally I've not found any of them really worth it, many others have.

Can't comment on kids programs.

I like the adult pool areas on RCI much more than those on Carnival. True

I'm not a fan of RCI hotel staff. Have had a few encounters that have left me thinking that a number of them find "guests" an inconvenience. Perhaps a few bad apples?

There are those who vastly prefer one line to the other. Personally, all else being equal I would pick Carnival, by a narrow margin. But I would never turn down a cruise on RCI. I love to cruise and have had great experiences on both lines.

Try RCI. You will probably have a good time. At the very least you'll end up knowing why you like Carnival so much. And, who knows, you just might find RCI more to your taste.

Overall we would cruise either line......good bang for the buck on Carnival, superior service on RCCI. Either way your on a cruise have a blast which ever you decide.

Overall we would cruise either line......good bang for the buck on Carnival, superior service on RCCI. Either way your on a cruise have a blast which ever you decide.

Kidless, did you love the Mariner? We loved Voyager a sister ship, hoping you enjoyed Mariner as much.

I see you are doing SOV, cabins are so little tiny, it will be a big step down from Mariner.

Been on both. IMO it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. One thing might be better on one, something else better on the other.

I base my decision on cost and itinerary.

We are trying to go out of Tampa or Port canaveral... So GOS for RCI or Inspiration for Carnival....maybe even Glory. we are trying to do a 5 day. I have been on both Carnival ships and loved them both, but others in our group want to try something different.

Grandeur is not one of RCI's best....It's one of their older ships. Carnival's Inspiration has been refurbished with the Innovations of Fun - huge twister slide along with water area and racing slides. The whole ship has had a redo. So between those 2 ships, I'd pick the Inspiration. And between the Grandeur and Carnival Glory, again, the Glory is newer and bigger and I'd pick that one as well.

That being said, if you were comparing an older Carnival ship with a newer RCCL (Voyager or Freedom class), I'd say go for the RCCL if it was in your budget.

Archived