Delta - 2nd checked luggage

Spoke with my TA today when booking my next cruise and was told that the 2nd checked bag which has a charge of $ 25. is considered on a "standby" basis. On the smaller Connection flights this could be a problem and the 2nd piece of luggage could be sent on the 2nd flight. This, of course, could be a problem when heading down to the cruise not getting all of your luggage at the same time and having to wait for the next flight to come in.

Checked Delta's website and confirmed this information. Anyone had any experience with this?

Dave

Considering that airlines are in financial trouble as it is, NOT serving the customers seems to be a bit counter-productive, doesn't it?

I understand the need to re-coup their costs, but not sending luggage with the passenger makes no sense. This is their JOB!

Yes, there is a $25 charge for second bag but the info about the standby basis is incorrect...standby, refers only to excess baggage charges not for second bag checked.

We all need to pack lighter and the airline policies will force us to do this. Extra weight on the plane results in higher fuel consumption and higher fuel costs. I have no problem with the new policies being instituted.

AA just instituted a charge for the first check bag. Look for Delta and all the others to follow shortly.

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale for our next cruise with Westjet, A Canadian airline. So far ...so good...Westjet has no plans for the immediate future to charge for the extra baggage. Their policy is 2 checked and 2 carryons per passenger.:D

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale for our next cruise with Westjet, A Canadian airline. So far ...so good...Westjet has no plans for the immediate future to charge for the extra baggage. Their policy is 2 checked and 2 carryons per passenger.:D

Two checked bags and two carryons per person?

In today's world of jet fuel cost, that is really ridiculous!

...I'm not sure I get your point....:confused:

Here's my point...

Airlines are struggling to remain viable in an environment of increasing fuel costs. Added weight costs more in jet fuel.

Why should a person who has no checked baggage and one carry-on pay the same price as a person who checks two pieces of luggage and has two carry-ons?

Here's my point...

Airlines are struggling to remain viable in an environment of increasing fuel costs. Added weight costs more in jet fuel.

Why should a person who has no checked baggage and one carry-on pay the same price as a person who checks two pieces of luggage and has two carry-ons?

Well put....

Yes, there is a $25 charge for second bag but the info about the standby basis is incorrect...standby, refers only to excess baggage charges not for second bag checked.

I'm going to call Delta confirm this. Click on:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/

Then click on Baggage Allowance on Flights, then go down into the body of that page and click on Excess Baggage.

As you read on down in Restrictions, Delta refers to priority given to your free checked bags first, which would not include the 2nd bag and $25, and goes on to mention all other bags could be held up for a later flight.

I would have typed in the direct link but for some reason, this site wouldn't let me put it all in. Appreciate checking this out and see how you read it.

Dave

Is this the statement that has you concerned?

Delta Connection® carriers accept excess baggage on a space-available basis. If the baggage cannot be carried on the same flight with you, it will be taken on the next available flight.

Airlines have always restricted baggage on small regional flights, that is nothing new. Some of those planes as very small and have very strict weight limitations.

Is this the statement that has you concerned?

Airlines have always restricted baggage on small regional flights, that is nothing new. Some of those planes as very small and have very strict weight limitations.

Yea, that's it. My TA says its becoming more common and that was my concern. May call the airport that I'm flying out of and ask them if it's common on the flight I'll be on. Guess with all the changes going on with the airlines, I'm starting to read the fine print alittle more.

Thanks

Dave

Yea, that's it. My TA says its becoming more common and that was my concern. May call the airport that I'm flying out of and ask them if it's common on the flight I'll be on. Guess with all the changes going on with the airlines, I'm starting to read the fine print alittle more.

Thanks

Dave

Just look at your flights online, it will tell you what type of plane you are on. My DH flies for business a lot and is on regionals frequently. On some of the planes he can't even take his carryon on since there is no room, he has to check it as he boards. Unless you are on a really small plane, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Just look at your flights online, it will tell you what type of plane you are on. My DH flies for business a lot and is on regionals frequently. On some of the planes he can't even take his carryon on since there is no room, he has to check it as he boards. Unless you are on a really small plane, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

I guess it's a matter of time before the airlines install bill machines at the bathroom door...pay $5 to use it and for toilet paper. I'm sure if they all get their "lets screw the public" hats on and brainstorm they can come up with a dozen or so extra sources of revenue. Better yet...they could get with the CEO's of the oil companies and get you on both sides. :eek:

Here's my point...

First it was eliminating the olives, then food and now baggage charges. Sorry - airlines have other ways of remining viable - like cutting executive salaries. If I wanted to fly Sardine Airlines I'd book them. Speaking of people with no luggage paying the same price - I'll bet if you go on a 767 - assuming 2 3 2 seating and assuming none of the six passengers are related - I'll bet no two paid the same price irrespective of how much luggage they bring aboard.

My sister is flying to Hong Kong - about $1600 pp - since my BIL has a hip problem she thought that an upgrade to business class would help him deal with the long flight til she asked how much to sit in a comfortable seat - How about an $8000 pp upgrade Boo Hoo - the airlines are really hurting

Here's my point...

This week is the fifth year anniversary of the infamous "Mission Accomplished" banner. Oil companies are planning to celebrate with a huge party and have asked Bush to lend them the banner for the night.

like these extra luggage issues, will cause a lot of grief for cruisers. Would hate wondering if my luggage would make it on the flight I was on or not. Uuuh! :(

Could cause people to drive more to ports as opposed to flying. There is no sure solution, of course.

Instead of charging for luggage and services, the airlines really need to just raise their prices be viable ... of course, a higher upfront cost is also the kiss of death in todays "fare-aggregator" world ... it's lose-lose until every airline raises prices or the ones undercutting go under.

Added weight costs more in jet fuel.

quote]

Does that mean that a passenger who weighs 275 pounds should pay more than one who weighs 150.

That's being discussed behind the scenes within the airlines as we speak.

Dave

Archived