Plus size gals - what's your favorite bra?

I'm between a 38DDD and a 40DDD. I bought several very nice bras on the Internet through Her Room (herroom.com), Bare Necessities (barenecessities.com) and BraSmyth (brasmyth.com) along with the already-mentioned figleaves.com. I've got 2 by Fantasie (1 is "Fauve by Fantasie") and a very sexy red number by Felina. All 3 sites have a great selection of all types of bras for the full figured woman. Just because you can't fit into Cosabella doesn't mean you have to wear basic white :-)

not really plus size, but the 'girls' certainly are. I wear a 32DD and pretty much live in sports bras, I wear them so much that I can't stand the way a regular bra feels now. I do buy wacoal sp? for occasions when something is too low cut for a sports bra, and I've been pretty happy with those.

I recently bought a Bali bra and love it. One tip I found was if you cup size and band size both measured correct but your brand still rode up in the back. Go down a band size and up a cup size (very important you have to increase your cup size to decrease your band). I was wearing a 40D which is what I professionally measured at. I still had problems with my band riding up in back.

I went down to a 38 DD and now have a perfect fit.

I'll have to try that tip.. sometime my band rides up so far I think it going to end up at the bottom of my neck. thanks

• 8 months later...
Thanks for all the responses, sounds like a problem for many women. I'm going to check out some of your suggestions. I have a Lane Bryant near me so I'll run over there this week. :D

Hi,:) I was looking for old threads about this topic.

Did you check out Lane Bryant?

Everytime I think I found the "right bra" I can't seem to stay

happy with it:rolleyes: Even if it fits the back and front, the straps

end up falling down:(

I went to Lane Bryant today and did some major damage;)

Hoping they work out well. I ended up with 7..yes 7 of them.

I got myself a new wardrobe LOL and threw out all but

2 of what I owned.

3 in the same style...black, cocoa and champagne

3 in another style...black, white and beige

and one extra in black in another style.

I didn't know Lane Bryant had such a choice of undergarments!

Thanks to this thread I feel like I made a great investment

today.:)

Oh the best thing was.....the top 6 were a "buy one, get the

2nd at 50% off"!

The trouble with Lane Bryant is that they only have the larger band sizes no large cup sizes. I am a 34DDD-F and it is really hard to find a bra. I don't wear plus sized clothing though so maybe that store is only for those that need the extra band size.

If anyone knows where to find great larger cup sizes, that would be very helpful!

Hi, I just got 7 new bras today~what I call investment

shopping;)

I found this thread and went to Lane Bryant. They had

ALOT of DDD's in stock. 34, 36 AND 38.

I hope these new ones work out well. I don't usually buy

that many at a time but they were having a sale. Buy

one, get the 2nd at 50% off:)

I'm going to have to try Lane Bryant. I have had the best of luck with a full figure style Vanity Fair from JC Penny. I can't wear the one that Oprah raved about as it is not cut full enough on top. Have spent hours trying on all the Victoria's Secret bras ... nothing works except the Vanity Fair.

Everyone's body stucture is a little bit different. Most people are "bottom heavy (for bra's), I have the size in the top half. (Does that make sense?). Minimizers never work.

I'd love to have different colors .... Jan

I'm going to have to try Lane Bryant. I have had the best of luck with a full figure style Vanity Fair from JC Penny. I can't wear the one that Oprah raved about as it is not cut full enough on top. Have spent hours trying on all the Victoria's Secret bras ... nothing works except the Vanity Fair.

Everyone's body stucture is a little bit different. Most people are "bottom heavy (for bra's), I have the size in the top half. (Does that make sense?). Minimizers never work.

I'd love to have different colors .... Jan

Hi Jan:), the minimizer was one I did NOT buy. It felt like

I was being smashed into....if that is what a minimizer is supposed

to do, they can keep them.:eek:

Smushing just doesn't work. I met a very lovely woman who's job is to measure for bra's ... she is so funny, she told me that the minimizers give me a uni-boob look .... not pretty!!!:D Jan

LOL too funny.;)

The gal at Lane Bryant measured me today too.

The ones I bought felt good in the front and in the back.:)

I just hope the straps stay up!

I highly recommend shopping online at www.herrom.com - I have had great customer service every time, and they have regular sales.

Every measuring system I've ever used indicates that I should be a 52C. But whenever I have ordered 52c from Lane Bryant and other plus size stores, I find the C cup changes sizes (gets much bigger in proportion) as the band size increases. This always left me with wrinkled bra cups and little support.

I prefer an underwire, and despite what the measuring instructions told me, I found an underwire bra in 48C at herroom that is comfortable, fits, and is supportive: the Vanity Fair 75-134. The girls stay front and center and don't jiggle. I only wish it came in black.

I have also had luck with Miss Mary of Sweden bras as long as they have a stretchy band.

Good luck, ladies!

I swear by Wacoal Bras also recommended by Oprah. They are sold at Macy's but I have found them at TJ Maxx. They cost 50-60 but last month I found one at Macy's for 13. Definately get a professional BRA fitting lots of places offer them. IT has been said that 85% of women wear the wrong size. IN New England we have Lady Grace that does fittings. Good luck.

I'm not plus size, but my girls are. I wear a 34 DD, so I need support. Really, the only brand I can wear is Wacoal. I usually get them from Century 21 and they're much much less than in the department stores. Plus they do come in some pretty cute styles.

When I was a bit bigger, I wore 36 DD, and I had a Lane Bryant bra. It was ok, not bad, but for me, it wasn't worth paying full price for it. But everyone is different, so you need to try them on and see what works on you.

I really like Wacoal. Our little Macy's carries them up to 44DDD (what I wear)and some in a G. Macy's has a nice promotion with your Macy's charge card that if you buy six within a certain time frame (a year, I think), you get a coupon in the mail for a free bra. I have gotten two $60 bras for free this way.

Lane Bryant is about the only place my daughter and I can find bras. I'm a 38D and daughter is 42DD(and she's 17!) We buy them on sale and can get good deals.

LOL My dd's also very large in the bust but small everywhere else....32JJ :eek: She gets measurered every 6 months and loves the Panache Superbra. It is an underwire and does bother her the first week or so but after that she's comfortable. These bras really flatter her figure - too bad they are so "old lady" looking since she's only 16. She cant wait to get a reduction and be able to wear "sexy" bras like here friends!!

~Connie

Lane Bryant is about the only place my daughter and I can find bras. I'm a 38D and daughter is 42DD(and she's 17!) We buy them on sale and can get good deals.

Try the X Bra from Fredericks of Hollywood. Just bought four on sale at $19 each.

The trouble with Lane Bryant is that they only have the larger band sizes no large cup sizes. I am a 34DDD-F and it is really hard to find a bra. I don't wear plus sized clothing though so maybe that store is only for those that need the extra band size.

If anyone knows where to find great larger cup sizes, that would be very helpful!

I have been going to a specialty shop for a few years now. Makes all the difference- professional fittings, ALL cup sizes and they do alterations. I had no Idea that I was in the wrong size and shape...makes my clothes actually FIT!

Archived