I want to try Carnival--RCCL friends stick their noses up

I'm excited about Carnival sailing out of Baltimore.RCCL friends say Carnival stinks.I feel its probably equal.Tell me they are wrong.................Frankie

They are very similar as are all of the mass market lines. While you will find differences there are things on Carnival that are better (room size and some of the entertainment, but not the shows) and there are things on RCL that are better (IMO the food and the service). Go one the one that offers the itinerary that you want and gives you the best bang for your buck.

Carnival has better pizza, food, and beds. Oh yea, I forgot, yes Carnival has larger cabins. RCL has prettier more glamorous ships. I do both.

Similar, but both have things they do better than the other.

I wasnt that crazy about the choices of food on RCL, just me, food is personal. I absolutely loved the Voyager, it was just so beautiful. Im not sure Carnival can touch it for elegance.

I do both lines and Carnival has much better food in the dining room while I like RCCL's buffet better. Carnival has bigger and better cabins. Entertainment is similar. RCCL ships are spectacular and they have things that can't be found on any other ship - but they don't appeal to all ages or tastes. I don't like the decor on Carnival ships, but once I'm on-board, I don't let it bother me. And the most important factor - the demographic for Carnival and RCCL is almost identical - don't let anyone fool you. You will see the same people on both lines.

I'm excited about Carnival sailing out of Baltimore.RCCL friends say Carnival stinks.I feel its probably equal.Tell me they are wrong.................Frankie

I think it depends on what class of ships you are comparing.

What ship of carnival's is going out of baltimore? And what ship on RCCL would you choose instead?

There are major differences.

We like both lines. We are not "brand loyal" to anything. Well, I am. I only buy Jif peanut butter. You simply cannot tell me Skippy is better. It's not :D

Other than that, I'll try everything...lol

As I always say the best review you can read is YOUR OWN!

1000 people can go on the same exact ship at the same exact time and each will have a different opinion.

How many of your "friends" have actually been on a Carnival ship?

When you read a review you are going to see things you like and some you do not like. The best way to find out is to go yourself and decide.

Just because your friends don't like Carnival doesn't mean you won't either.

RCI is pretty much on par with Carnival. What happens when you take away that rock climbing wall? You get Carnival with an attitude.

RCI fans like to think they are uppity but they aren't. They are just common folk like the rest of us.

I think that those RCI cheerleaders who go on another cruise line to check it out spend so much time comparing that they forget to have a good time in the process.

So I say go and don't spend a lot of time comparing and remember why you are on vacation in the first place.

When people put Carnival down, I ask : "Oh sorry your Carnival cruise didn't go well." 90% of the time they reply they've never been on Carnival. They are just repeating the old Carnival cliches that have not applied for years and years.

I like Carnival, RCCL and NCL and find them more alike than different.

I think there are more similarities than differences between the two lines. IMO, the service and entertainment are about equal. I've enjoyed my cruises on both lines.

However - Carnival does have larger cabins, and much better food; being a retired chef from N.O., I'm a bit picky. Nothing really bad about RCCL food, just not as good in the preparation, presentation, and taste as Carnival. I also love the fact that I can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino in Carnival's dining room for every meal....but had to pay quite a price for it on RCCL.;)

As some of the above mentioned, I was immediately wondering if those friends have actually cruised ON a Carnival ship? Doubtful. Best to be the judge of that yourself. Enjoy!:)

My son and his wife were in town last week for a wedding. The week before they were on the Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera. They were disappointed but enjoyed the cruise and the ports anyway. It is funny that the folks we have met in port that are on an RCCL ship ay the same places we go don't seem to have that attitude. I even enjoyed my cruise on Norwegian even though the first twelve people I talked to told me how much better Norwegian was than that 'other' line. Try it, you'll like it.:D

I've been on many RCCL ships and a few Carnival ones also. I like both and choose by itinerary and price now.

I still remember standing on the Lido deck of my first cruise (an RCCL) and having a man standing next to me pointing out another ship docked nearby. He told me the "X" on the funnel meant for people to stay away!

We have cruised RCL, CCL, Princess and NCL. They all have their own flavor. We have no preference, but there are some differences. I love Carnival's lemonade; NCL doesn't have it. Carnival has soft serve ice cream cones; other lines do not have them. You cannot find food on Princess after 10:00; Carnival you can. The 3 tiered dining rooms on some RCL ships are truly beautiful, but the one floor dining room with ceiling to floor windows on the back of NCL Dawn was beautiful, too. Yup, we loved them all.

Frankly, if I'm on a cruise ship, I'm happy. I'd chose the ship that has the best price for the itinerary you want. For me, it's usually Carnival. I love their ships and the extra square footage in the cabins. I've also never had a bad meal on a Carnival ship. I think people take their 'loyalty' a little too seriously. Just go and have a fabulous cruise, regardless of which line you choose!!

We have cruised RCL, CCL, Princess and NCL. They all have their own flavor. We have no preference, but there are some differences. I love Carnival's lemonade; NCL doesn't have it. Carnival has soft serve ice cream cones; other lines do not have them. You cannot find food on Princess after 10:00; Carnival you can. The 3 tiered dining rooms on some RCL ships are truly beautiful, but the one floor dining room with ceiling to floor windows on the back of NCL Dawn was beautiful, too. Yup, we loved them all.

On which Princess ship have you been?? Last September there was food around the clock on Caribbean Princess..yes around the clock!

As I always say the best review you can read is YOUR OWN!

1000 people can go on the same exact ship at the same exact time and each will have a different opinion.

How many of your "friends" have actually been on a Carnival ship?

When you read a review you are going to see things you like and some you do not like. The best way to find out is to go yourself and decide.

Just because your friends don't like Carnival doesn't mean you won't either.

RCI is pretty much on par with Carnival. What happens when you take away that rock climbing wall? You get Carnival with an attitude.

RCI fans like to think they are uppity but they aren't. They are just common folk like the rest of us.

I think that those RCI cheerleaders who go on another cruise line to check it out spend so much time comparing that they forget to have a good time in the process.

So I say go and don't spend a lot of time comparing and remember why you are on vacation in the first place.

Well said! We have cruised RCCL, CCL and Celebrity for a total of 20 cruises now. There are more similarities than differences. I really get tired of the RCCL snobs however!

You cannot find food on Princess after 10:00; Carnival you can. .

That's not true at all, they offer food aftetr 10:00 pm and it is superior to what you'd find on CCL. For example, last Jan, at around 11:00pm, I went up to the buffet on the Dawn Princess and not only was it open, they were carving up prime rib! I have only seen prime rib once in a CCL buffet and that was ten years ago, what some people think is prime rib is really just roast rib.

Also, one Princess closes their buffet, they have "bistro" service where they serve you, menu style. I used it once and had an excellent, grilled to order steak.

I've been on both multiple times. Yes, they are different, but I like them both.

Carnival tends to be a bit "louder": hairy and knobby knees contests, more dancing by the pools, etc. But nothing on Carnival is any louder and more risque the RCCL's Quest!

RCCL offers more variety day time activities - everyuthing from ping pong and shuffleboard tournaments to cooking demonstrations. But both lines have trivia contests, art shows, etc.

Personally, I think Carnival's food is better. Of course, that's a matter of taste. But RCCL's diningroom service tends to be a little better.

Entertainment is similar also, except on longer cruises when RCCL offers more variety.

Bottom line, I choose by itinerary and price, not cruise line and Carnival often offers better value..

My daughter has been on both & says she likes them both, but prefers Carnival a little more. She felt like there were more things to do during the day on Carnival & that it was a more fun atmosphere. I have always been willing to consider cruising another line, but the prices just don't justify it for me. With a family of 5, price is a big deal.

I was wondering about the food after 10 pm also. :confused: One of the things I enjoy most on Princess is being able at any time of the day to get something tasty to eat without having to order room service.

I've been on both multiple times. Yes, they are different, but I like them both.

Carnival tends to be a bit "louder": hairy and knobby knees contests, more dancing by the pools, etc. But nothing on Carnival is any louder and more risque the RCCL's Quest!

What happens during Quest?

Archived