I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hi there!

The airport is about 20 mins or so (more with traffic) from the cruise port - - so there really isn't a place that you'd want to stay that is close to BOTH the airport and the port.

I would choose to stay "downtown" in Central Copenhagen.

Run a search on the thread for hotels and you'll see several that I love.

to recap:

Adina

The Square Hotel

Scandic (central location - not out by the airport)

The Admiral

SAS (again, central, not out by the airport)

Staying down town will give you plenty of access to visit the city both on foot and with the "metro" system (Called S-tog here).

Hello:

You mentioned the Scandic (central location - not out by the airport)....

The one we are planning to say in is located at: Vester Soegade 6 1601, Copenhagen.

Is this a central location?

Please advise.

Thanks

I had the honor of being a guest at the 350th Danish Royal Military Tattoo held at Rosenborg Slot (Castle) this past weekend. Here are some pictures that I took of the castle pre show and at the finale with the fireworks, etc. [/img][/url]

THANKS for all of the great pictures! These at the Royal Military Tattoo are really nice. Post more of around Copenhagen and the key sights around town. A picture is worth a thousand words and really helps understand what will be experienced. Might follow-up with some more questions. Just got done going through the whole series of these posts on this thread and your very, very helpful info. Getting to close to when we'll be in Copenhagen on Sunday, July 27. Appreciate the help and insights! Terry in Ohio

Hello:

You mentioned the Scandic (central location - not out by the airport)....

The one we are planning to say in is located at: Vester Soegade 6 1601, Copenhagen.

Is this a central location?

Please advise.

Thanks

YEP! That's the central one!

You can use www.krak.dk and get a map of your hotel & the surrounding areas.

How:

Click on KORT (the green tab)

Then plug in your address

Then click the button next to it (søg)

You can also plug in a ROUTE PLAN (ruteplan) if you want to get from point A to B.

We will be on a cruise with pre- and post-cruise stays in Copenhagen. We would appreciate any advice you could give us about our tentative plans to visit Copenhagen. Our time frame for sightseeing in the city is on Monday, July 28, and Friday, August 8, both mid-morning until evening (with jet lag on the first day J.) There are four of us with several pieces of luggage each, so we planned on using a limo for transportation to and from the airport, but since this costs about $150 each way, we are wondering if there is a better way. On the 28th, we’ll be staying at the Adina hotel and on the 8th, we’ll be staying at the Airport Hilton hotel.

We would like to visit Tivioli (probably on Fri.), do a canal ride (what is the best place to do that?), and walk along Stroget. A couple of people (seniors) have limited walking stamina, so we can’t do a great deal of walking, although a little is OK. Do you have a suggested order in which to do these things considering the jet lag and location of the hotels? Do you think we’d have time to do more than this in the time we have—maybe Amalienborg Palace? Or something else you think is a must-see?

Can you suggest good places to eat which aren’t really expensive, and a good bakery for kringle in the areas in which we’ll be located?

Thanks very much for your help!

We will be on a cruise with pre- and post-cruise stays in Copenhagen. We would appreciate any advice you could give us about our tentative plans to visit Copenhagen. Our time frame for sightseeing in the city is on Monday, July 28, and Friday, August 8, both mid-morning until evening (with jet lag on the first day J.) There are four of us with several pieces of luggage each, so we planned on using a limo for transportation to and from the airport, but since this costs about $150 each way, we are wondering if there is a better way.

I would just take a cab from the airport. There are mini-van type cabs that could accomodate you all.

On the 28th, we’ll be staying at the Adina hotel and on the 8th, we’ll be staying at the Airport Hilton hotel.

We would like to visit Tivioli (probably on Fri.), do a canal ride (what is the best place to do that?), and walk along Stroget. A couple of people (seniors) have limited walking stamina, so we can’t do a great deal of walking, although a little is OK. Do you have a suggested order in which to do these things considering the jet lag and location of the hotels?

The canal ride (Nyhaven is a great spot to get one) is at the opposite end of Tivoli - - accessed by a nice section of the Stroget.

It's easy to walk from one end to the other - but you mention "limited walking ability" so I'm not quite sure what that means.

Do you think we’d have time to do more than this in the time we have—maybe Amalienborg Palace? Or something else you think is a must-see?

Since you mentioned limited mobility, I would actually suggest doing the MERMAID LINE HOHO bus and canal tour package. You'll get to squeeze a LOT of sights into a very short time.

You can end at Tivoli and catch dinner there.

Can you suggest good places to eat which aren’t really expensive, and a good bakery for kringle in the areas in which we’ll be located?

Thanks very much for your help!

Ummmm everyone's idea of "aren't really expensive" are different.

The Adina has it's own restaurant which is VERY good and a great value as far as I'm concerned.

There are some amazing restaurants all over the city - - I would honestly just wander around Nyhaven looking at the menus and deciding what sounds good.

The least expensive "eats" that you can get are a good old Hot Dog and Chocolate Milk from a vendor (one every 100 yards or so!).

Enjoy your stay!

On a funny note -

I lived in Sweden when I was 15 for a year. I learned Swedish quite quickly - and it has come in very handy for learning Danish.

Whenever I attempt to speak Danish - I ALWAYS get asked if I am SWEDISH... as I speak Danish with a Swedish accent!

To me - that is hilarious!

But, it's also late, and I'm easily amused. So maybe it's just me.

:D

LOL I had a similar experience...I studied abroad in France for my junior year in college. Everyone assumed I was Canadian. I guess they thought being American and speaking French fluently were mutually exclusive. ;)

LOL I had a similar experience...I studied abroad in France for my junior year in college. Everyone assumed I was Canadian. I guess they thought being American and speaking French fluently were mutually exclusive. ;)

well - you know the old joke

"what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?"

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?

American!

Thanks for the great info. I am going to log on later today and read through all l3 pages to make sure I have everything important on my itinerary.

Also, the joke is funny.

In Switzerland I wanted silverware at a fast food place, and they kept trying to show me to the bathroom until I made motions of eating.

My question, and I hope it isn't on the other l3 pages is about tipping. I know in some countries, Austria I think was one..tipping was figured in the bill. I don't go out that much, and I never take taxis. What is a normal tip for restaurants and taxis and is any tip figured in the bill? Again I hope you haven't answered this ten times already but if so, ignore it. I will find out when I read all the posts later today. ;) I know in Alaska a couple from England asked me the normal tip. Maybe I was off, but they said don't tip that much if you ever get to England. ....

I also am glad it is such a safe city. I am 43 and traveling solo. it is good to see I can wander around without much worry. :-)

So to summarize my rambling. Is any tip figured in bills? What is average for tipping at restaurants (including buffet types) and taxis if it is not in the bill?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Thanks for the great info. I am going to log on later today and read through all l3 pages to make sure I have everything important on my itinerary.

Also, the joke is funny.

In Switzerland I wanted silverware at a fast food place, and they kept trying to show me to the bathroom until I made motions of eating.

My question, and I hope it isn't on the other l3 pages is about tipping. I know in some countries, Austria I think was one..tipping was figured in the bill. I don't go out that much, and I never take taxis. What is a normal tip for restaurants and taxis and is any tip figured in the bill? Again I hope you haven't answered this ten times already but if so, ignore it. I will find out when I read all the posts later today. ;) I know in Alaska a couple from England asked me the normal tip. Maybe I was off, but they said don't tip that much if you ever get to England. ....

I also am glad it is such a safe city. I am 43 and traveling solo. it is good to see I can wander around without much worry. :-)

So to summarize my rambling. Is any tip figured in bills? What is average for tipping at restaurants (including buffet types) and taxis if it is not in the bill?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Not sure if I specifically mentioned tipping anywhere... and if I did - well, here is a repeat:

As in most of Europe - no need for tipping, as it's included in your bill.

As an American - I STILL feel compelled to tip for great service, though it's not expected.

I DO, however, still see others (Danes, etc) leave small tips also.

Anywhere from 10DKK - 50DKK I think is more than fair ($2 - $10) depending on the service.

Enjoy your trip! It's a GREAT city!!

Hi there!

The airport is about 20 mins or so (more with traffic) from the cruise port - - so there really isn't a place that you'd want to stay that is close to BOTH the airport and the port.

I would choose to stay "downtown" in Central Copenhagen.

Run a search on the thread for hotels and you'll see several that I love.

to recap:

Adina

The Square Hotel

Scandic (central location - not out by the airport)

The Admiral

SAS (again, central, not out by the airport)

Staying down town will give you plenty of access to visit the city both on foot and with the "metro" system (Called S-tog here).

Thank you!! We booked a room at the Square. I'm excited about its proximity to everything!! How far is it from the pier? What do you think we can expect to pay for a cab ride from the hotel to the ship? OR - can we take a train to the ship from the hotel?

You are such a wonderful and generous resource - thanks for all your time and enthusiasm!!

Elise

well - you know the old joke

"what do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?"

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?

American!

LOL! Sad but true! :D

Thank you!! We booked a room at the Square. I'm excited about its proximity to everything!! How far is it from the pier? What do you think we can expect to pay for a cab ride from the hotel to the ship? OR - can we take a train to the ship from the hotel?

You are such a wonderful and generous resource - thanks for all your time and enthusiasm!!

Elise

You can take a BUS from the hotel (or pretty close by) to the pier. You are in a WONDERFUL section of the city!!

If you know Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel - she did an entire episode on Copenhagen and stayed at the Square Hotel while she was there filming it.

The episode is pretty fun - and gives a nice glimpse of the city. After watching it (when my in-laws brought it over while visiting us) - we headed out to try and find some of the spots that she highlighted.

Even our Danish neighbors got a kick out of it.

Maybe it can be found online somewhere....

Thanks for the wonderful thread. I came back and read all the pages. :-)

I think I need to put Tivoli back on my list of ideas to do. I am in Copenhagen from 1 p.m. until the next day the final day of the cruise. I may wait and do it then when I am over jet lag.

Now, I feel like I am ready to go.

Hi FreedomWithCandles:

We are spending one day (12:00 noon - 8:00 pm) in CPH, arriving on Carnival Splendor August 15th. We have 2 girls, ages 14 and 10, and they both love amusement parks. We will certainly take them to Tivoli and get wrist bands (at least for the 2 of them). Do you think at that age (especially the 14 year old) Tivoli has enough rides to keep them busy for most of the afternoon? They both like the wildest rides possible, but I think they would also be happy doing some of the tamer rides. Do the rides stay open in the rain? If it's not enough for the day, I think the one other thing we would do is the canal tour.

Thanks.

Hi FreedomWithCandles:

We are spending one day (12:00 noon - 8:00 pm) in CPH, arriving on Carnival Splendor August 15th. We have 2 girls, ages 14 and 10, and they both love amusement parks. We will certainly take them to Tivoli and get wrist bands (at least for the 2 of them). Do you think at that age (especially the 14 year old) Tivoli has enough rides to keep them busy for most of the afternoon? They both like the wildest rides possible, but I think they would also be happy doing some of the tamer rides. Do the rides stay open in the rain? If it's not enough for the day, I think the one other thing we would do is the canal tour.

Thanks.

hey there!

First - something to realize is that Tivoli is T I N Y in comparison to most US "theme parks".

It is GORGEOUS - and the history enough is amazing - but it can not be confused really, with a theme park.

There are a few "wild rides" in the park - and I think enough novel things to keep kids of that age occupied for at least a few hours.

The good thing is that the lines move FAST and that there are a LOT of nooks and cranny's in there to explore.

Try to find the BRAND NEW (and Europe's FIRST) Cold Stone Creamery (YUMMMY!!!)

Have a lazy lunch - or at least eat your fair share of ice cream ... check out the GREAT stores and be sure to do the Hans Christian Andersen "Flying Trunk Ride" - while not wild by ANY means, it's a great primer on the stories of this author.

I would to Tivoli LAST though - maybe after your canal ride OR a visit to Rosenborg (something that may pique the interest of your girls... seeing the Royal Jewels... and it's a great castle that has just finsihed a lot of renovation.).

Enjoy your day!

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

This will be coming a full time job for you answering all our queries.

Do you know how much the tourist bus is and I see you mentioned it stops at the pier. Are they frequent - dont want to get left behind at the end of the day!

Thank you for all your helpful info.

This will be coming a full time job for you answering all our queries.

Do you know how much the tourist bus is and I see you mentioned it stops at the pier. Are they frequent - dont want to get left behind at the end of the day!

Thank you for all your helpful info.

LOL

Best thing to do is check in with the tourist center RIGHT at the pier (assuming you are at Langeline). They can get you info on the bus schedule and also any fare that you need.

They ONLY take DKK or "clip cards" - so you will have to prepare ahead of time for that. There is a money exchanging place right at the pier too.

Enjoy your stay!

LOL

Best thing to do is check in with the tourist center RIGHT at the pier (assuming you are at Langeline). They can get you info on the bus schedule and also any fare that you need.

They ONLY take DKK or "clip cards" - so you will have to prepare ahead of time for that. There is a money exchanging place right at the pier too.

Enjoy your stay!

Thats great - really looking forward to our visit

Thank you for your help

I started a thread on the Baltics board but I thought I would try here. I'm wondering of there are any post offices nearby the pier? Or should I look in the city instead?

Any help would greatly be appreciated since I leave in a few days for my cruise!

Thank you!

I started a thread on the Baltics board but I thought I would try here. I'm wondering of there are any post offices nearby the pier? Or should I look in the city instead?

Any help would greatly be appreciated since I leave in a few days for my cruise!

Thank you!

Not 100% if there is one near the pier -- there IS one though in the central station near Tivoli though. So if you take the train, or a myraid of busses, you can get to Kobenhaven K station and there is on on the main level.

Enjoy your trip!

hey there!

would to Tivoli LAST though - maybe after your canal ride OR a visit to Rosenborg (something that may pique the interest of your girls... seeing the Royal Jewels... and it's a great castle that has just finsihed a lot of renovation.).

Enjoy your day!

OUr cruise ship gets int CPH at 12:00 noon. How far is the walk to the Town Square from the port? Is there a bus that will take me directly from the port to Town Square or is it better to walk.

After doing a Canal boat tour, how would I get to Tivoli? Then how would I get from Tivoli back to the Ship?

Thanks for your help.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Unfortunately, we will only be in CPH from about 4 pm on Saturday until we catch a van to the ship on Sunday at noon. Are there any tours that we could do in that time frame for a quick overview of the city. We will be staying at the Marriott

OUr cruise ship gets int CPH at 12:00 noon. How far is the walk to the Town Square from the port? Is there a bus that will take me directly from the port to Town Square or is it better to walk.

After doing a Canal boat tour, how would I get to Tivoli? Then how would I get from Tivoli back to the Ship?

Thanks for your help.

There is a bus that stops at the main pier and it goes directly to the Town Hall square. (main entrance to Tivoli). SO you can take that bus there and back.

You can walk down the stroget from the Town Hall square and get on the canal tour ... plan on a 1/2 hour walk with window shopping and stopping for an ice cream or coffee (walk and eat/drink).

Copenhagen is VERY compact - and VERY easy to navigate. You will have no problems making your way around.

Enjoy!

Archived