I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We started out around 9AM and got back to Copenhagen around 6-7PM. It is completely doable in one day. We also spent 2 days in Copenhagen and did this the second day. On the first day we just saw all the sights in Copenhagen including a canal boat ride in the morning. We stayed at the Marriott Hotel and the canal boat picked up passengers right outside the dock at the hotel. You can purchase tickets at the front desk at the Marriott. If you want to see the Little Mermaid, sit on the right hand side of the canal boat.

Where will you be staying?

Another great way to see the castles is to do the Full Day Castle Tour given by www. sightseeing . dk

There is one in particular that does both of these castles, plus more, and provides round trip coach service.

This would be a great alternative for those that are looking for a bit more guidance and help with the traveling part.

We are on a cruise ship and will only be in Copenhagen from 8:00-4:00. Things I'm hoping to see - Little Mermaid, Gefion Fountain, Rosenborg Palace, Round Tower, Amalienborg Palace (with changing of guard), Styroget St, want to do a canal tour and we are going to the ice bar at 2:15-3:00. After ice bar we need to get back to ship. Do you think we can do all of the above? One last thing I hear you have great ice-cream - where do I find it? We will skip lunch and do ice cream:) I need a few souvinors also.

Jen - please let me know if you think we can see most of this??

@ West coast mum.

The reason for changing train was because of a major maintenance work on the Nordbanen rail line (the one to Hillerød).

This work is now over if someone are planning to do the same.

There has also been a major work on Kystbanen between Helsingør/Elsinore and Copenhagen so the trip back to Copenhagen from Kronborg Castle should also be without problems.

@ Sand Girl

Are you ship docked at Frihaven or Langelinie pier because i need to know to calculate if it is doable.

Take Vaffelbageren at Nyhavn, it is the best icecream in that area of Copenhagen.

They make the waffles (the cone) by themself and it taste almost as good as the icecream.

If we imagine that you arriving at Langelinie pier the first stop is The little mermaid just around the corner from the pier.

Then it is the gefion fountain and a 20-30 minute walk to Rosenborg.

The Castle opens at 10 AM so you got 1,5 hours to see everything so you can be at Amalienborg at noon.

Here is a little fun fact: the guards have there home behind Rosenborg so they march from Rosenborg to Amalienborg in good time before the changing of the guards at Amalienborg.

Then icecream at Nyhavn 5-10 minutes from Amalienborg and the off to the canal boats.

From Nyhavn there is a nice stroll along the Strøget shopping street to the Icebar at the other end of Strøget.

It is better to take a Taxi back to the ship from here and they are located just in front of the hotel and bar.

We will be in Copenhagen for 3 days in August, arriving at the hotel about noon on Monday and staying until Thursday morning. We will probably be exhausted after traveling all night so we are thinking that on Monday we will keep things simple and just go to Tivoli, walk around, have dinner and then head back to the hotel and fall into bed. Our only solid committment is on Tuesday night at 7pm for the Icebar. Other than that we are open to suggestions. What I am trying to decide is whether to buy the 24 hr CPH card or the 2 day Freedom Pass for the HOHO bus. We have enjoyed the HOHO bus in other ports and the two day pass does include the canal boat and seems to visit many of the local attractions.

Any information or thoughts to help me make my decision would be welcome.

Thanks.

We started out around 9AM and got back to Copenhagen around 6-7PM. It is completely doable in one day. We also spent 2 days in Copenhagen and did this the second day. On the first day we just saw all the sights in Copenhagen including a canal boat ride in the morning. We stayed at the Marriott Hotel and the canal boat picked up passengers right outside the dock at the hotel. You can purchase tickets at the front desk at the Marriott. If you want to see the Little Mermaid, sit on the right hand side of the canal boat.

Where will you be staying?

We are on Constellation 7/29-7/30. Will need to be back on the ship by 3PM on 7/30 for 4Pm departure. A bit nervous about doing it on our own this day, but the ship also has a tour that is a hefty $144 per person on 7/30! So we either do this on the first day when we'd much prefer to be in the city, or rush off on the second day on our own and hope that we are back in time if we elect to not take the ship's excursion!! Decisions, decisions!

Sue

luvs, the CPH card includes admission to many of the places as well as unlimited access to the transportation systems. Freedom card is just bus and canal trip. Our flight arrives at 7:30am so we decided to get a freedom pass for that day and maybe just stay on the different bus lines getting an overview of the city. Then the next day we'll pick up a CPH card. We're doing the ice bar first day at 5:15 then figured we'd walk to Tivoli for dinner.

@ Sand Girl

Are you ship docked at Frihaven or Langelinie pier because i need to know to calculate if it is doable.

Take Vaffelbageren at Nyhavn, it is the best icecream in that area of Copenhagen.

They make the waffles (the cone) by themself and it taste almost as good as the icecream.

If we imagine that you arriving at Langelinie pier the first stop is The little mermaid just around the corner from the pier.

Then it is the gefion fountain and a 20-30 minute walk to Rosenborg.

The Castle opens at 10 AM so you got 1,5 hours to see everything so you can be at Amalienborg at noon.

Here is a little fun fact: the guards have there home behind Rosenborg so they march from Rosenborg to Amalienborg in good time before the changing of the guards at Amalienborg.

Then icecream at Nyhavn 5-10 minutes from Amalienborg and the off to the canal boats.

From Nyhavn there is a nice stroll along the Strøget shopping street to the Icebar at the other end of Strøget.

It is better to take a Taxi back to the ship from here and they are located just in front of the hotel and bar.

Sorry - donot know where we will dock - do you think we have time for canal ride?

@ Sand Girl

I think that you need to skip the Canal tour, but why 16:00 its so soon most ships departs later in the evening.

Just tell me the ship name and date of arrival and i will found the pier for you.

@ oceanqueen571

You can maybe make it with a private guide if you don´t want to do it yourself.

try http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

We are arriving on August 30th on the Jewel of the Seas. Can you tell me which pier we will be docked at?

I found a site that tells how many ships are in port on that day and it appears 7 ships will be in port :eek: . However, I haven't been able to find out the pier.

Thank you,

Jackie

Jen - please let me know if you think we can see most of this??

So sorry! I've been in Oslo, Norway for a bit - - and wasn't checking email all that often.

I think that the canal tour is really really fun - and a great way to see the city - but it is about an hour and 20 mins long (depending on which one you do).

For me - it's a must do... for some, not so much.

I think you have a pretty ambitious list of stuff to see - - and the canal tour will eat up a pretty big chunk of your time.

Going up (and then down) the Round Tower will also eat up some time - especially if you stop at the two museum rooms as well.

I think that if you can keep a really really good eye on the time then you can squeeze it all in - - but definitely prioritize what your group wants to see/ do and then work it back that way.

Make sense?

We will be in Copenhagen for 3 days in August, arriving at the hotel about noon on Monday and staying until Thursday morning. We will probably be exhausted after traveling all night so we are thinking that on Monday we will keep things simple and just go to Tivoli, walk around, have dinner and then head back to the hotel and fall into bed. Our only solid committment is on Tuesday night at 7pm for the Icebar. Other than that we are open to suggestions. What I am trying to decide is whether to buy the 24 hr CPH card or the 2 day Freedom Pass for the HOHO bus. We have enjoyed the HOHO bus in other ports and the two day pass does include the canal boat and seems to visit many of the local attractions.

Any information or thoughts to help me make my decision would be welcome.

Thanks.

If you plan on entering any of the museums/ castles AND using public transportation (say to get out to Frederiksborg or Kronborg or the Louisiana Museum, etc.) then I think the CPH card is well worth it.

The 2 day Freedom Pass just gets you on the HOHO bus and canal tour (which - again - I love).

The CPH card will also get you a DISCOUNT on the HOHO bus -- so it may be worth your while to do BOTH.

Enjoy!

We are arriving on August 30th on the Jewel of the Seas. Can you tell me which pier we will be docked at?

I found a site that tells how many ships are in port on that day and it appears 7 ships will be in port :eek: . However, I haven't been able to find out the pier.

Thank you,

Jackie

I just saw the Jewel (NCL - right?) at the main pier - Langelinie (or however you spell it! LOL).

And - really ??? 7 Ships? Certainly they aren't all cruise ships. I don't think that CPH has the piers to accomodate 7 cruise ships. I've never seen more than 2 in port at one time.

There are several FERRIES that go back and forth though - so maybe you're seeing those too??

Danish Viking - -

It's been awesome having you on this thread!!! I'm learning a lot too (will be checking out that ice cream place this weekend!!!)

Where abouts are you from?

Would love to pick your brain on some of the cruise itineraries that leave out of CPH. Please email me at jen @ FreedomWithCandles . com

Thanks!

(PS - we are in Charlottenlund)

I just saw the Jewel (NCL - right?) at the main pier - Langelinie (or however you spell it! LOL).

And - really ??? 7 Ships? Certainly they aren't all cruise ships. I don't think that CPH has the piers to accomodate 7 cruise ships. I've never seen more than 2 in port at one time.

There are several FERRIES that go back and forth though - so maybe you're seeing those too??

We are on the RCI ship Jewel of the Seas. Is that the ship at Langelinie?

It appears the following ships are in port that day according to a Copenhagen Port site that I found. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell which dock:

8/30 Sat 3 Copenhagen, Denmark Crystal Symphony, MSC Lirica, Royal Princess, Seven Seas Voyager, Jewel of the Seas

I got the 7 from the projected number of people in port that day 7029 :eek:

Thank you for your help.

I have 2 questions-

1. how much time do we need to give ourselves at the Copenhagen airport to fly out internationally?

2. Have heard that there can be very long line ups for taxis upon leaving the ship for the airport. Our flight leaves at 12:20 p.m. on Saturday July 19th. Thinking of leaving the ship around 9 or 9:30 am. Is that giving ourselves enough time?

Should there be less of a problem getting a cab because it is a weekend rather than a weekday with rush hour issues?

Here's the link

http://www.porttime.com/cruise_itinerary.cfm

Jackie

Thanks a lot for the link. I just checked our ship, Crown Princess and I see that when we leave on the 7th of September we have the company of the Costa Meditteranea, but on the 17th, we are the only ship in port.

I also know we are at the Fryhavn port, so that Costa ship may just be at the Langelinie port.

Pia

So sorry! I've been in Oslo, Norway for a bit - - and wasn't checking email all that often.

I think that the canal tour is really really fun - and a great way to see the city - but it is about an hour and 20 mins long (depending on which one you do).

For me - it's a must do... for some, not so much.

I think you have a pretty ambitious list of stuff to see - - and the canal tour will eat up a pretty big chunk of your time.

Going up (and then down) the Round Tower will also eat up some time - especially if you stop at the two museum rooms as well.

I think that if you can keep a really really good eye on the time then you can squeeze it all in - - but definitely prioritize what your group wants to see/ do and then work it back that way.

Make sense?

Thanks Jen

We will do the Canal Ride - I really want to do that. We will just have try to see as much as possible. Trying to do some sort of map - to try to catch as much as possible. There are 4 of us - walking and we are all able to walk at reasonable pace. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

We will be sailing out of Copenhagen on August 9th and will fly into Copenhagen on the 8th. We wanted to come a couple days early to explore Copenhagen, but unfortunately, it just didn't work for us. SO - we arrive on the 8th at noon - and sail on the 9th at 5pm. If not completely exhausted, we want to see some sites on the 8th and perhaps see something in the early part of the day on the 9th. WHERE should we stay that is most centrally located to the airport and the port - and also near the trains for sight seeing? Any advice will be appreciated.

Elise

@ seetosea

Just check www.cmport.dk

Thanks for all the information!!

I checked this website and couldn't find any infomation about the Carnival Splendor.

We will be in Copenhagen on Aug. 20, 2008 on the Carnival Splendor. Could you please tell me what pier the Splendor will be at??

Thanks again

Thanks Big Al and Cruisineurope for your replies regarding the Freedom Card vs the CHP card. Coming down to the wire and all the little details need to be tied up within the next few days so your feedback is greatly appreciated!

One more question. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that many of the museums / attractions in Copenhagen are free on Wednesdays. Is this true?

Thanks again

Archived