I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Can you pick up the HOHO bus at the pier for any of the three routes they do? Also, would the HOHO bus drop you off near where you could pick up the canal tour? Did I see somewhere where you can get an HOHO bus/canal cruise combo ticket? Thanks for all the great info

CruisinEurope~

Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work and effort in putting this thread together, researching, etc!!! We (Dh, dds age 15 and 10, and I) are sailing on the Crown Princess July 9 and will have 2 full days in town before our trip and another one at the end. I made my own guidebook by cutting and pasting a ton of your info into one document, and was able to download and print out brochures for the HOHO tours, CPH card, and Tivoli thanks to your suggestions. You did so much legwork, and I really appreciate it. :)

I've been to Copenhagen twice before, but it was in the winter back in the mid-1980s, so I'm sure this trip will be quite different (especially considering I was childless and single then, LOL).

As an American who is formerly in the hospitality industry - it pains me to see (and hear!) (mostly) Americans being SO DARNED impatient in Denmark (or most of Europe for that matter) for a server to come, for a meal to be served, or for receiving their bill.

This bears repeating. If only we would slow down and think "Why do we travel?" To have the same experiences as back home?

CruisinEurope,

Thank you for the opportunity to ask you questions. My husband and I are sailing out of Copenhagen on May 13, 2009 on the Eurodam. I really need a few things.

1. A hotel near the cruise terminal. (hopefully not really expensive).

2. Transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. (oops that is 2 questions in one)

3. Is it necessary to purchase some DKK's or just get some Euro's?

4. It is a 20 day cruise and we will be back in the middle of the cruise and probably have more time to tour, can you give us some not to miss places?

I am sorry about all of the questions but I am such a planner and I am soooo excited.

Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Thanks for some great info on Copenhagen. Do you know if it is expensive to take a taxi from the pier to the Tivoli gardens? I am traveling with my self and my husband and two children ages 10 & 11. What would you suggest if we are only there for 1 day. Do you think that the Tivoli Gardens are worthy going to during the day? Any thoughts on watching the changing of the guards? We enjoy spending time walking around the streets and absorbing the local culture. Any recommendations for that. Thanks for the help.

Debbie

My wife is severely allergic to shellfish, chocolate and corn products. Can anyone provide me with a danish translation so that she can effectively communicate her issues while in Copenhagen? Thanks, DMaugle

Hi,

We will be sailing out of Copenhagen on August 9th and will fly into Copenhagen on the 8th. We wanted to come a couple days early to explore Copenhagen, but unfortunately, it just didn't work for us. SO - we arrive on the 8th at noon - and sail on the 9th at 5pm. If not completely exhausted, we want to see some sites on the 8th and perhaps see something in the early part of the day on the 9th. WHERE should we stay that is most centrally located to the airport and the port - and also near the trains for sight seeing? Any advice will be appreciated.

Elise

Hi there!

The airport is about 20 mins or so (more with traffic) from the cruise port - - so there really isn't a place that you'd want to stay that is close to BOTH the airport and the port.

I would choose to stay "downtown" in Central Copenhagen.

Run a search on the thread for hotels and you'll see several that I love.

to recap:

Adina

The Square Hotel

Scandic (central location - not out by the airport)

The Admiral

SAS (again, central, not out by the airport)

Staying down town will give you plenty of access to visit the city both on foot and with the "metro" system (Called S-tog here).

Thanks Big Al and Cruisineurope for your replies regarding the Freedom Card vs the CHP card. Coming down to the wire and all the little details need to be tied up within the next few days so your feedback is greatly appreciated!

One more question. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that many of the museums / attractions in Copenhagen are free on Wednesdays. Is this true?

Thanks again

not that i've ever heard of.

I'll look around - but I don't think so.

Can you pick up the HOHO bus at the pier for any of the three routes they do? Also, would the HOHO bus drop you off near where you could pick up the canal tour? Did I see somewhere where you can get an HOHO bus/canal cruise combo ticket? Thanks for all the great info

yes, you can get the "mermaid tour" at the pier (Langeline). That tour will stop where you can take a canal tour - you can also purchase a "combo pass" that includes your HOHO and canal tour .

the Mermaid tour is BY FAR the most populuar route to go - - the others go more on the outskirts of the city... the Mermaid one hits all the big "Must See's".

Combining that with the Canal tour and you've got a stellar way to see the BIGGIES of CPH.

CruisinEurope~

Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work and effort in putting this thread together, researching, etc!!! We (Dh, dds age 15 and 10, and I) are sailing on the Crown Princess July 9 and will have 2 full days in town before our trip and another one at the end. I made my own guidebook by cutting and pasting a ton of your info into one document, and was able to download and print out brochures for the HOHO tours, CPH card, and Tivoli thanks to your suggestions. You did so much legwork, and I really appreciate it. :)

I've been to Copenhagen twice before, but it was in the winter back in the mid-1980s, so I'm sure this trip will be quite different (especially considering I was childless and single then, LOL).

Thanks! I appreciate knowing that this thread has helped so many!

I absolutely LOVE my new city and really really really feel that it's something special that should be seen.

Enjoy your trip!

CruisinEurope,

Thank you for the opportunity to ask you questions. My husband and I are sailing out of Copenhagen on May 13, 2009 on the Eurodam. I really need a few things.

1. A hotel near the cruise terminal. (hopefully not really expensive).

2. Transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. (oops that is 2 questions in one)

3. Is it necessary to purchase some DKK's or just get some Euro's?

4. It is a 20 day cruise and we will be back in the middle of the cruise and probably have more time to tour, can you give us some not to miss places?

I am sorry about all of the questions but I am such a planner and I am soooo excited.

Thank you in advance,

Kathy

if you go back and read this thread from start to finish - I pretty much answer all of those questions (and more).

:D

Thanks for some great info on Copenhagen. Do you know if it is expensive to take a taxi from the pier to the Tivoli gardens? I am traveling with my self and my husband and two children ages 10 & 11. What would you suggest if we are only there for 1 day. Do you think that the Tivoli Gardens are worthy going to during the day? Any thoughts on watching the changing of the guards? We enjoy spending time walking around the streets and absorbing the local culture. Any recommendations for that. Thanks for the help.

Debbie

If you enjoy walking and taking in the sights - then I would plan on walking to Tivoli. It's not that far - about 2.5 miles if I remember correctly.

There is a TON to see along the way and you can easily stop for coffee, pastries, etc. for rests.

Yes, I do enjoy Tivoli during the day - - but if your kids will insist on doing all the rides - that will eat up a HUGE part of your day.

If you can get them in Tivoli with the explicit understanding that they can do one or two rides and then it's time to move on... then yes, I think it's well worth stopping in to.

LIke I mentioned before - it's iconic.

I enjoy watching the changing of the guards. It's at noon at Amalienborg. You can time yourself so that you walk from the ship to Amalienborg - watch the guards, and then head off again towards Tivoli.

This thread is CHOCK FULL of info for a "one day stop" in CPH. Let me know if there is anything that you're curious about that hasn't been covered already.

Hello everyone!

I had the honor of being a guest at the 350th Danish Royal Military Tattoo held at Rosenborg Slot (Castle) this past weekend.

Here are some pictures that I took of the castle pre show and at the finale with the fireworks, etc.

Enjoy!

th_Rosenborg350thTattoo001.jpg

th_Rosenborg350thTattoo015.jpg

th_Rosenborg350thTattoo023.jpg

th_Rosenborg350thTattoo026.jpg

Thought of something else this morning while driving home from the center of the city...

Another GREAT location for people to stay if:

1) they are wanting to see more of "real life" - a bit more "rural" than the actual city center

2) want to be near a great beach (Charlottenlund Fort Strand)

3) want to be near some great shopping (they call this area Stroget in Hellerup!)

4) Want to be near some great restaurants, bakeries, and bus/S-tog lines

Then I can highly recommend that you stay in the Hellerup Park Hotel.

It's situated in a VERY desirable neighborhood called Hellerup (think Georgetown if you know Washington, DC)

Some highlights of this area:

1) a gorgeous park

2) a great beach & the Fort

3) Hellerup S-Tog station (about a 5- 10 min walk depending on your speed) which can get you ANYWHERE you need to go.

4) great Sushi (Sticks & Sushi) and Thai and other great restaurants

5) great bakeries for that morning "danish"

6) MY favorite Ice Cream place just down the road

7) the Experimentarium (great place for a rainy day with kids)

8) the aquarium

9) two S tog stops from Bakken (world's oldest amusement park - FREE to get in, just pay for rides).

10) a wonderful chocolate shop (Kenya Cafe) also has great sandwiches, coffee, etc. A splurge - but OH SO GOOD.

11) a great little playscape for kiddos just down the road

In addition - the hotel has it's own bikes that you can take daily to explore the city.

So - while it's not "in the middle of things" - - it is in a great spot to be VERY near to everything while being in your own little part of Copenhagen.

PS - this is where I live... and I truly have the BEST of both worlds. Peace and quiet and nature and the ocean when I want... and a quick 5 minute S tog ride into "town" when I want.

Here is the link to the hotel:

http://www.hellerupparkhotel.dk/index.cfm/pages/front.html

My wife is severely allergic to shellfish, chocolate and corn products. Can anyone provide me with a danish translation so that she can effectively communicate her issues while in Copenhagen? Thanks, DMaugle

The good news is that most everyone speaks very good English. You can and will be able to effectively communicate with your servers (or someone in the staff) quite easily.

shellfish = skaldyr

Fish = fisk

Clams -musling

Oysters - øysters

shrimp - reje

Chocolate = chokolade (pronounce the D like an L)

Corn = korn or majs

To follow up on the language thing...

If I was at a restaraunt, or at a food stand at Tivoli, is it rude to just speak in english, or should I ask "do you speak english" and if you think I should ask, should I learn how to ask in Danish?

Do things like ticket machines and so forth show english?

Thanks.

To follow up on the language thing...

If I was at a restaraunt, or at a food stand at Tivoli, is it rude to just speak in english, or should I ask "do you speak english" and if you think I should ask, should I learn how to ask in Danish?

Do things like ticket machines and so forth show english?

Thanks.

Most tourists that I see just start talking in English. Personally, I kind of consider this pretty rude.

At the VERY least, I would start off with:

"I'm sorry, I only speak English. Is that OK?"

and let them say Yes or direct you to someone who can help you.

if you want to learn how to say "Do you speak English" in Danish - -

it is

Talar (pronounced tala)

Du

Engelsk

MOST Danes will automatically switch over to English the instant they hear a funny accent ... frustrating on MY end since I am still learning the language and love to practice.... most want to practice their English with me! LOL. So I really don't forsee TOO much trouble communicating at all.

Ticket machines?

Like at Tivoli or what?

Most things that travelers will need will have an English translation SOMEWHERE

Most often - it's indicated by a BRITISH FLAG.

Most tourists that I see just start talking in English. Personally, I kind of consider this pretty rude.

if you want to learn how to say "Do you speak English" in Danish - -it is

Talar (pronounced tala) Du Engelsk

THANKS! Very good suggestion and tip. Looking forward to enjoying Copenhagen! Terry in Ohio

Ticket machines?

Like at Tivoli or what?

Most things that travelers will need will have an English translation SOMEWHERE

Most often - it's indicated by a BRITISH FLAG.

yes, I was referring to things like train/bus ticket vending machines, or as you mentioned in a previous post, the non-human ticket dispensers at tivoli. If they have english, then that would be preferable to me than the awkwardness (and for me embarrasing fact) that I can't speak the language.

We did not have any problem in Copenhagen communicating ...most speak english

The only place in the Baltic we had a problem was in Mac Donalds in Tallin

We finally managed after much pointing & shrugs to order food!!:)

yes, I was referring to things like train/bus ticket vending machines, or as you mentioned in a previous post, the non-human ticket dispensers at tivoli. If they have english, then that would be preferable to me than the awkwardness (and for me embarrasing fact) that I can't speak the language.

Ok, yep. Just look for the British flag on most machines and that will get you English.

But really - I've only met ONE person thus far that didn't speak any english - she is our 80-some-old owner of our little mom and pop hardware store.

It's been really fun being able to communicate with her now that my Danish has improved... but in the beginning - - we were communicating with LOTS of charades and pointing. :o

To put the language "issue" in perspective - -

Danes are VERY well educated in English from a VERY early age.

While they love their language and heritage - they realize that it's only on this little chunk of Earth that it will ever be spoken - - so they take the time to master English (in addition to several other languages usually!).

Speaking English in Denmark will not be a problem - and you can very easily just start off any conversation with "I'm sorry, I only speak English."

On a funny note -

I lived in Sweden when I was 15 for a year. I learned Swedish quite quickly - and it has come in very handy for learning Danish.

Whenever I attempt to speak Danish - I ALWAYS get asked if I am SWEDISH... as I speak Danish with a Swedish accent!

To me - that is hilarious!

But, it's also late, and I'm easily amused. So maybe it's just me.

Archived