Bottled water vs. Water Bottle

I've read a couple of places where people bring their own bottled water (as well as other "more spirited" ;) ) beverages packed in their bags. We were planning to just bring our athletic-type water bottles and fill them up at the buffet. Is there a reason this wouldn't work? Would be a whole lot less weight in the suitcases.

Hi there

I too noticed threads on bottled water. Sorry if it's a silly question but is water not available on the ship (first timer_?

Yes water is available on the ship for a premium price if you want bottled water.

You can get tap water in the self serve station in the buffet area if you prefer not to buy bottled to take ashore or just buy bottled water on shore.

We sometimes will just buy at the local stores once on shore you pay 1/3rd the price what the ship charges.

You're right--there's no need to bring water onboard. The ship's water is perfectly fine for drinking! They make coffee, tea and lemonade from it. They cook with it. You brush your teeth with it! (Although it never gets very cold from the tap!!! Use ice!) Oh!! They make ice from it!

Don't lug heavy cases of water! Your water bottle is just fine!

If you or your spouse is worried about the tap water you can go to camping supply store or website and purchase a water bottle with a built in filter system. Great for on the ship or off.

I hope that helps.

Water on all ships is 'made' on board through desalination, and then chlorinated. It is safer than the water from your faucet at home. this includes the water from your sink in your cabin. You can buy a bottle of water in port and reuse the bottle...But it won't have a mouth big enough to allow you to add ice. I have carried a bottle with insulated sleeve on every trip for the last 19 years. EM

Water on all ships is 'made' on board through desalination, and then chlorinated. It is safer than the water from your faucet at home. this includes the water from your sink in your cabin. You can buy a bottle of water in port and reuse the bottle...But it won't have a mouth big enough to allow you to add ice. I have carried a bottle with insulated sleeve on every trip for the last 19 years. EM

Which is exactly what we now intend to do. Thanks for your responses.

• 3 weeks later...

... than single use, then discarded, plastic bottles. I always take my own water bottle when travelling and just fill it from the tap in my stateroom or the faucet in the buffet (using a clean glass to avoid back contamination from the bottle to the faucet). When flying, I take it empty through security, then fill it from the water fountain in the airport (in the US or UK; I might have reservations in some other airports). Why would you pay ridiculous sums of money for water when it's available free? It's just as 'clean' or 'pure' or 'safe' as bottled water - I'm a physician and know what I'm talking about. And as for the idea that bottled water 'tastes better' - blind tastings usually demonstrate any chilled water (bottled or tap) tastes better than room temperature water and since bottled water is usually chilled and tap water isn't, this myth arises ... with a lot of help from advertisers, of course.

That's a great idea. We may do that for our cruise.

We bring along the plastic refillable sports water bottles (see the Target $1 bin), but also add a Crystal Light To Go Mix-in. Much more flavorful!

CeleBrat

On some ships they now request that you not fill your own bottles at the buffet, but fill a clean glass and put that contents into your own bottle.

we will ask the wait staff to fill it for us.

They have the pitchers of ice water right near the serving stations

The ships make drinking water exactly the way the bottlers do. (Did you know that some bottled water is actually city water, local to the bottling plant? And even "spring" water is processed)

Save your money. We always fill sports bottles with ice, add water and away we go.

Archived