Concierge Lounge, is it worth the price

AF-1

I am asking this question about the concierge lounge because I want to know if its worth spending the extra money for a suite, I know junior suites don't qualifiy, so what services or benefit do they provide that I couldn't get if I booked a junior suite. I also know the junior suite is a little smaller than the grand suite, and the grand suite gets concierge service, and I am not a diamond member, so I can't use the diamond lounge. So if someone who is very knowledgeable and a seasoned cruiser would reply, I will take any and all replys.

Don´t book a GS for CL access. While the CL is nice I don´t think it´s worth the extra cost. However the GS is a very nice room and not only a bit larger than the JS. I have traveled in both and the JS is very nice and good sized. If I book a GS I do it for the cabin not the CL.

My sister and I had a Grand Suite on the Voyager this past January. Would we get another GS just for the concierge lounge? No. Although it was nice, we found it to be very crowded and small. Many nights we were standing along the windows trying to juggle our dishes and drinks. The first night we each got a small plate of appetizers and a glass of wine and brought it back to our cabin. The next day we had a message on our phone "reminding" everyone not to bring any food or beverages out of the lounge.

We did enjoy our GS for other benefits. Double size balcony, large sitting area, more than enough closet space ,large bathroom with a tub and the use of the concierge who helped us get ice skating tickets and reservations at Portofinos.

There is a very large difference between the JR and the Grand suite. The Grand suite has a balcony that is 50% larger and there are double sinks in the bathroom. My DW and I love the double sinks...

As for the CL it is worth the difference in price, depending on how much the difference is. The difference can run from $200 per person to over $750.00 per person. There are free drinks each evening in the CL. If you each have three drinks, each night, that could justify a difference in price of $250 - $400. If the difference is greater, I would pass!

BILL

A JS is a very cost effective way to get lots of space without paying the "suite" price. If you book a suite, you'll get comp. drinks in the evening, and that's about the only thing of monetary value--the rest is "service" related: The concierge will get you tickets to the ice show, or help with excursions, book the specialty restaurant....things you easily can do on your own. There is a continental breakfast in the am, but since food is included....see what I mean?

If you pay all that additional for a suite just to get the "free" drinks (which you can't take out of the lounge, btw!) then you'll have to drink an awful lot to make this pay!

The perks of the Concierge Lounge include complimentary cocktails and hor d'oeurves available each evening, coffee, tea, cappucinos available 24/7. There is a nice continental style breakfast set up every morning. The concierge can arrange for specialty dining and spa appointments. (just as easy for you to do yourself.)

DH and I are Diamond members and do enjoy the perks of the CL, but I seriously doubt that I would spend the extra $$ for a GS just for these amenities. Unless you consume LOTS of cocktails over the course of the cruise, I can't imaging it being a financial benefit - that's just IMHO.

We've never paid for anything more than a standard balcony cabin (although the upgrade fairy has visited us on rare occasion), because we don't spend that much time in the room. It's a personal thing, however. If you enjoy the space and comfort a GS gives, maybe it's worth it to you. Hope this helps a bit.

You asked if a JS has enough room storage area/closet for a 12 day cruise In my opinion a definate YES. Not as much as a GS, but more than enough for 2 people to travel comfortably.

Both JS & GS have plenty of storage space for a 12 day cruise, but I would have it the other way round and say that the JS with the walk-in closet has even more closet space than the GS.

i made the mistake of booking a GS on the hump on Brilliance for our first cruise last november. it was fantastic and my husband now refuses to cruise again unless we go in a GS. his reasoning isnt for the extra space, a JS would do i am sure although the GS really made the trip more than comfortable. it is purely for the concierge as we are not diamond members. we are not big drinkers (i only had a few glasses of wine over a 9 day cruise) but we are not very social either. the concierge lounge was the perfect place for us as we enjoyed meeting lots of people in a smaller, contained atmosphere. a lot of the cruise critic members who i had met online were in the concierge lounge and many came up and introduced themselves. my dh says for him it was the best part of the cruise. oh, and not forgetting the coffee machine first thing in the morning. i am sure for most people its not worth the extra money, but i just thought i would share a different perspective.

We did the 14 night Ultimate Alaska cruise and had a JS on the Serenade. There was more than enough storage space for the 2 of us. We didn't even use half of it, and I felt like we had a lot of stuff because it was Alaska and we needed binoculars, shoes, jackets, etc.

The first night we each got a small plate of appetizers and a glass of wine and brought it back to our cabin.

I always understood that drinks were not to be taken from the lounge.

Have they changed the policy? If so, it would be wonderful to take a glass of wine to dinner;)

My sister and I had a Grand Suite on the Voyager this past January. Would we get another GS just for the concierge lounge? No. Although it was nice, we found it to be very crowded and small. Many nights we were standing along the windows trying to juggle our dishes and drinks. The first night we each got a small plate of appetizers and a glass of wine and brought it back to our cabin. The next day we had a message on our phone "reminding" everyone not to bring any food or beverages out of the lounge.

We did enjoy our GS for other benefits. Double size balcony, large sitting area, more than enough closet space ,large bathroom with a tub and the use of the concierge who helped us get ice skating tickets and reservations at Portofinos.

I always understood that drinks were not to be taken from the lounge.

Have they changed the policy? If so, it would be wonderful to take a glass of wine to dinner;)

See the post that you are referencing.

Gang, I have read some wonderful dialogue. Thanks to everyone who responded. I will take all into consideration. I don't know if I was looking at the concierge lounge for drinks, since I don't drink alcohol, but more as a lounge to relax with friends, and maybe have the extra help if I need it. The suite was being booked for the space. I was in a junior suite last year on splendour, and it was nice, but that was a seven day trip and this is twelve, but there are junior suites still available for my cruise so maybe I will look at them and canx the grand suite and take a junior suite. Again, thanks to everyone for your input.

Gang, I have read some wonderful dialogue. Thanks to everyone who responded. I will take all into consideration. I don't know if I was looking at the concierge lounge for drinks, since I don't drink alcohol, but more as a lounge to relax with friends, and maybe have the extra help if I need it. The suite was being booked for the space. I was in a junior suite last year on splendour, and it was nice, but that was a seven day trip and this is twelve, but there are junior suites still available for my cruise so maybe I will look at them and canx the grand suite and take a junior suite. Again, thanks to everyone for your input.

A JS on the Voyager is larger than a JS on the Splendour. ;)

Archived