Voyager Cabin Question..............

I'm not sure if this question has been presented but I would appreciate some help. My wife doesn't do too well on cruises. We took a cruise from NYC to Montreal and the North Atlantic was pretty rough. She wore an apuncture wrist band but she still got semi sea sick. Our only other cruise was from Vancouver to Alaska and she did OK except for one day that was rough.

We are planning a trip on Voyager from Monte Carlo to Venice. I am not familiar with this ship. Could you kindly suggest a cabain in the Penthouse, Horizon C or Deluxe D suites that would be the best room considering ship movement. I like the Horizon C rooms but I'm not sure about a room on the back of the ship. I apologise for asking so many questions at once but I need help with the following:

1. Which room do you prefer from the above considering everything such as ship movement, noise, room quality, etc.

2. Also do you think this particular cruise takes you into rough seas that might cause my wife to get sea sick more than usual.

Thanks for all your kind replies.

For anyone prone to mal du mare (seasickness) the best cabins are low and center. On Voyager, they are also the lower priced cabins so they go quickly. We always book deck 6 which is a G Category. That would not be a Penthouse or Horizon Suite. Those will have the most motion because they are higher and fore or aft.

We had assistance from Regent with this choice --Deck 8 (818, 819, 820 or 821). We're booked in 818 in October -- Istanbul - Athens. To get slightly lower (even less feeling from the sea), Suites 720, 721, 722, 723. Unless I read the deck map incorrectly, these are all penthouse suites. On deck 10 are some great mid-ship category "D" suites (918 - 930 look good).

The Horizon suites look beautiful, but, most people recommend staying away from the aft part of the Voyager. Mid-ship is best for those of who who experience the sea -- perhaps more than we would like:o I use the electronic seabands -- they work well. Additionally, I take 1/2 of a non-drowsy Bonine pill (just in case).

We were in 1044 several years ago, which is a penthouse suite, and suffered no noticeable motion. But as has already been said, the lower the better. There is really very little difference between the standard suite and the Penthouse suite.

I can't answer your cabin question as we are about to go on our first Voyager cruise. But for sure, the mediterranean is unlikely to be as rough as the north Atlantic. We were on a NYC to Quebec sailing fall 2006 and it is the highest seas I have ever seen - stuff flying off the walls and around cabins. It is good to take precautions but I think rough weather will be unlikely (especially near Venice as you are quite sheltered between Italy and Croatia).

We just returned from a cruise on the Voyager in Suite 745, which is mid-ship, very low and a good place to be if you are susceptible to motion sickness. We talked to several couples who had booked penthouse suites on the cruise and they were very unhappy at how small they were. These suites are only 14 sq. ft. larger than your basic "deluxe suite" but they are significantly more expensive. They come with butler service but about all the butlers do is serve afternoon tea.... if you should happen to be in your room then and many cruisers are not.

Not sure why you would want to pay more for a penthouse suite on the Voyager as the regular suites have a nice balcony and plenty of room. The lower and more mid ship you are, the less motion. We were in 747 last year--very minimal if any motion at all on the Nice to Dover cruise.

The penthouse suites "seem" considerably larger due to the configuration. . . however, on some cruises, business class air is included if you book Penthouse B or above. In fact, for our upcoming cruise, it was about $50 less to book a penthouse suite than to book category D and upgrade from economy class. . . that was a good enough reason for us;)

Have your wife ask her doctor about the sea sick patch. My husband gets motion sickness in a car but we did 17 nights on the Voyager and as long as he was wearing his patch (very small, half inch square, behind the ear, water resistant) he was fine.

Unfortunately, either the doctor or the pharmacist screwed up and only gave him 12 days. Since he waited until the Friday before our Sunday departure to see the doctor and got the prescription filled Saturday night, I didn't catch the problem until it was too late.

We managed to stretch the patches for 16 days but the last day was rough for him. They really made a difference.

The wrist bands were virtually useless and the pills just made him sleepy both dramamine and the other one.

The penthouse suites "seem" considerably larger due to the configuration. . . however, on some cruises, business class air is included if you book Penthouse B or above. In fact, for our upcoming cruise, it was about $50 less to book a penthouse suite than to book category D and upgrade from economy class. . . that was a good enough reason for us;)

In this situation, where the business class air is included, it clearly makes sense. I was speaking of cruise only fares.

Terrene: May I ask how you procured all those on board credits? (Would love to be able to do that. A couple of agencies I called do either obc or discount cruise. Did you find one that does both?)

H cabin in the middle of the ship is the way to go.

No question that is where you have the least movement.

Regent is very different compared to other cruise lines.

A H cabin is no different than a E,F,G except on a lower deck

so there is no improvement in size etc of the cabin.

True you either have to walk up or down more stairs, or take elevator rides

to most community activities, but who cares. The ride is smoother.

I've obviously been very lucky as I get sick on a swing but a friend gave me some Bonine (we can't get them here) which I took at night (so didn't have to worry about feeling sleepy). When we were last on Voyager, it was pretty rough and they had something stronger at the Reception desk. It seems to be the best if you take something 'just in case', rather than wait until you feel 'off'.

Terrene44, I wanted to make sure you realized that the Penthouse cabins on the Voyager are NOT large like the "double-wide" Penthouse cabins on the Mariner. They're close to the same square footage/size as the standard cabins but just more squared rather than rectangular. We have stayed in them (C are the same just don't have the Butler as in the A & B's)

I would not pay extra for the Penthouse on the Voyager. With your wife's condition, I would opt for a standard cabin on Deck 6, category G. This way you'll be low and mid-ship. We have many nights on the Voyager and this is where we always try to stay. You'll also be so central to everything! Midship and low will always be the smoothest ride.

For anyone prone to mal du mare (seasickness) the best cabins are low and center. On Voyager, they are also the lower priced cabins so they go quickly. We always book deck 6 which is a G Category. That would not be a Penthouse or Horizon Suite. Those will have the most motion because they are higher and fore or aft.

I think Kathy meant "mal de mer", but I've always heard that you should avoid the aft cabins on Voyager and Navigator both. We love the Seven Seas Aft suites on Mariner, and I remember being so upset that they said out the ones on Voyager totally differently. But we came to love the Seven Seas Forward on Voyager, and to just do without that incredible balcony.

Just spent two weeks on Voyager in 747, perfect location, easy to get around, mid ship location and I am prone to sea sickness and didn't have a problem. Although I did take my pills the first couple of nights. We have also been on Deck 8 in PH's 862 and 861 (did this cabin on the crossing for 8 nights) and again had no issues whatsoever.

We hope you have nice trip we did. - I forget room numbers but middle sounds right. Seasickness for a neighbor was a problem. You call it the french name we just knew they were very sick. Try ginger someone said that is good.

Whatever you want to call that queasy feeling from motion, low and center is best. They do have ginger candy near the entrace/exit (whatever you want to call the ingress and egress) and stock ginger ale on the ship. That does help sometimes.

Archived