Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

We are on this 16 day Christmas Trip on Vantage. We have never been on Vantage before, but have taken river cruises on Uniworld a few times and Gate 1. I was reading the itinerary in detail and realized that we leave Wurzburg at 11 pm Christmas Eve and do not arrive in Wertheim until 1 pm on Christmas Day. This means we cannot attend services on Christmas eve or Christmas morning! I am shocked that they did not consider this in their planning. They have absolutely refused to make any changes, even a few hours.

Previous Christmas Market trips we have taken on other lines ALWAYS have considered this. I do not like their attitude.

Is there anyone else on this trip?

We are on this 16 day Christmas Trip on Vantage. We have never been on Vantage before, but have taken river cruises on Uniworld a few times and Gate 1. I was reading the itinerary in detail and realized that we leave Wurzburg at 11 pm Christmas Eve and do not arrive in Wertheim until 1 pm on Christmas Day. This means we cannot attend services on Christmas eve or Christmas morning! I am shocked that they did not consider this in their planning. They have absolutely refused to make any changes, even a few hours.

Previous Christmas Market trips we have taken on other lines ALWAYS have considered this. I do not like their attitude.

Is there anyone else on this trip?

Is there any chance they might have some type of service on board? Or maybe you can find a later service on Christmas day?

...well so far I haven't done much! How far ahead of time does everyone start preparing for their cruises? This is my first river cruise so I'm sure there are things I will need that I don't take on ocean cruises but am just starting my list now. I am getting excited though!

:) Cherie

070917_AmadeusWaterways_hmed_4p.hmedium.jpg

Good thread! We also have never been on a river cruise - it is hard to get much info but have heard so many good things about them decided to go this year. Booked on the Amadeus Royal Christmas Market Danube River Cruise on 17 Dec 08 - 28 Dec 08 beginning in Budapest for 2 days and ending in Prague for 2 days which was one of the deciding factors in choosing this particular itinerary as they were included rather than add ons. Ought to be quite pretty over the holiday and unfortunately (for us) cold......:) but we will be prepared. Looking forward to more info over the next two months. And hopefully find a review or two.

For river cruising at this time of year (first week of Dec), what kind of temperatures should I expect indoors? We'll be on Viking, if that makes any difference. I have a tendency to be chilly indoors in the Winter at home. How many layers will I need?

For river cruising at this time of year (first week of Dec), what kind of temperatures should I expect indoors? We'll be on Viking, if that makes any difference. I have a tendency to be chilly indoors in the Winter at home. How many layers will I need?

I am a little more warm blooded and tend to be warmer than most people, so maybe not the best to answer this. I can say, however, I did need a sweater or something most of the time. I was more chilly whenever sitting by a window, which stands to reason I guess. Our cabin seemed warm even when we turned off the heat. Lots of times we cracked the door to our balcony.

we have been on the Christmas Time cruise on the Amadagio which started on the 24 of December in Budapest. We attended Christmas mid-night mass at St. Stepens cathedral and this was quite a treat. We liked this cuise so much that we deceided to do it again this year - also partly because we got a great deal ($ 550 reduction per person) from our TA.

we have been on the Christmas Time cruise on the Amadagio which started on the 24 of December in Budapest. We attended Christmas mid-night mass at St. Stepens cathedral and this was quite a treat. We liked this cuise so much that we deceided to do it again this year - also partly because we got a great deal ($ 550 reduction per person) from our TA.

Are you on the Amadagio from Budapest agian Waverly?

Welcome to Rescuespringers and Sunspots!

Is everybody starting to count the days? Now that our weather in Phoenix is finally cooling off, it just gets me more excited! But there is sooooo much to do between now and then. I want to get my Christmas cards, shopping and house decorated before I leave since it will almost be too late by the time I get home again. I asked a few extended family members for the kids wish list and they thought I was nuts!

Hi Pam -

I am definitely counting the days now! I'll be onboard the Amalegro two months from now. Woo Hoo! Going to the Christmas markets has been a travel goal for quite a few years now. I started getting in the mood when I went up to Big Bear a couple of weeks ago - going into the Weinachts Markt store and Oktoberfest definitely is a teaser for the real thing. It snowed in Big Bear this morning according to my friend who has a cabin there. SNOW - I hope it snows a little on our river cruises.....

September whipped by so fast that I can't believe it's already double digit days in October! A month ago I started a drawer of various items for the trip, including warm boots. My camera kit is ready to go and the MacBook will be left at home so it won't distract me or be one more thing to carry.

Good for you for decorating before you leave. I have 3 cats staying home and they might have a little too much fun with the decorations. I don't want my cat sitter to walk into a decoration disaster! I'm getting home a week before Christmas, so I'm not sure if I'll even put a tree up. (Yeah, right...) With all the new goodies from the markets, I'll probably be buying a tree on my way home from the airport! Hopefully Home Depot will still have some nice Noble firs left.

Any suggestions on the best way to pack multiple Glüwein mugs?

Jane

Is everybody starting to count the days?

Yes, 47 days and about 11 hours (to be exact!!). :D We leave the day after Thanksgiving. What day does everyone else leave?

We plan on doing all of our Christmas shopping in Austria and Germany. We're taking a whole bag of gifts to our German friends so we will have a bag to fill on the way home.

Yes, 47 days and about 11 hours (to be exact!!). :D We leave the day after Thanksgiving. What day does everyone else leave?

We plan on doing all of our Christmas shopping in Austria and Germany. We're taking a whole bag of gifts to our German friends so we will have a bag to fill on the way home.

Woo Hoo! That means I only have 47 days too since we leave the day after Thanksgiving! Thanks for counting for me! :D

Jane, try packing the mugs in your shoes, wrapped in socks or other dirty laundry. I have found that my treasures I get on my trips are less likely to walk out of my suitcases if they are wrapped in dirty underware! :eek:

We are getting excited and now that we have actually had a day under 80 degrees here I can believe that winter is on its way. :) I was looking at new suitcases today, need to pick up at least one more to replace the one the air carrier ripped apart on my last trip. It is fun to start preparing!

We are getting excited and now that we have actually had a day under 80 degrees here I can believe that winter is on its way. :) I was looking at new suitcases today, need to pick up at least one more to replace the one the air carrier ripped apart on my last trip. It is fun to start preparing!

Cherie,

I've been looking at suitcases too but can't seem to find one that is light weight. With only 50 lbs I can't have a suitcase that starts out at 18 lbs! Hoping to find one 10lbs or under. Have you seen anything like that in your search? Without paying an arm and a leg too?

Pam---you might consider this LLBean set: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=48310&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4518&cat4=2911

I purchased this set earlier this year and am very pleased with it-extremely lightweight, and the suitcaes hold a lot. True, the exterior is not Cordura. I took them overseas this summer and had no problems or damage. The only downside, is that they will not support a carry-on bag from the handle. A plus, is that the smaller case will nest inside the larger one when they are empty!

If you have a TJ Maxx nearby, check out what they have. Their selection varies from store to store, but if they have what you like, you'll end up saving alot.

We have two Delsey hardcases that have been on over 10 cruises each and are still going strong. We paid about $60 for each.

I've been looking at suitcases too but can't seem to find one that is light weight. With only 50 lbs I can't have a suitcase that starts out at 18 lbs! Hoping to find one 10lbs or under. Have you seen anything like that in your search? Without paying an arm and a leg too?

Pam, I just bought the Rick Steves' 24" rolling suitcase. <http://www.luggagepros.com/mpb/IID15211.shtml> It's lightweight, expands and looks good. It's not sold on his web site since his philosophy is pack light and carry on. I have an older 26" TravelPro but it's really heavy and I don't want to be burdened with a huge suitcase on my pre-cruise part of the trip. I'm packing a duffle bag in case I need a second bag to check.

Eagle Creek has well made, lightweight bags, but they're not cheap. I have a 24" Eagle Creek that I've used and loved, but one of my cats peed in it and, in spite of lots of Nature's Miracle & Urine Gone, there is still a faint whiff of MacDuff....:( It was my fault for leaving it open on the floor....

I second the idea of check TJ Maxx and if there's a Tuesday Morning store near you, check there too.

Cheers,

Jane

With the airlines now setting punitive fees for overweight luggage, having a portable luggage scale that travels with you is a must (especially for those going to the Christmas markets :) ).

On our last HAL cruise we had several fellow cruisers we met borrow our luggage scale to make sure their bags were not in the extra charge territory.

Most luggage stores have them for around $15, or you can buy them online. Here is the one we have: http://www.luggagepros.com/mpb/IID8629.shtml?zmam=6548955&zmas=1&zmac=22&zmap=IID8629

I've been using CC for years, but never thought to look for river cruise info! We leave Dec 2 for the Dec 3 Amsterdam to Basel Cruise on GCT Concerto. We've done several ocean cruises but this will be our first river cruise. We are starting to get excited!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and it's inspired me to start making my packing list. I know I need to get the electrical converter/adaptors, what else am I missing?

I've looked at average weather & it doesn't look like it will be too terribly cold while we are there. We will plan on layering, and hope for the best. Do I really need to bring snowboots (the cruise line suggests them)? I'm glad to see that GCT isn't too dressy. I certainly won't have room for formals!

Any other tips will be most appreciated.

7 weeks, 1 day to go.....

Lisa ( DH Keith)

Archived