Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Pam,

Once again, thanks for starting this great thread about Christmas markets. We received our docs yesterday for our Vantage trip on 30Nov. Will definitely leave their bag home--like to travel with a rolling backpack. Would really like to have a copy of your "packing" list. Have a friend going on a Carib cruise who has 2 suitcases packed for a Feb trip. Would like to share your info with her. Please send the list to momcooneyatwohdotrrdotcom It is really woh--stands for western ohio. Happy Halloween!!!! Pat

Pam,

Once again, thanks for starting this great thread about Christmas markets. We received our docs yesterday for our Vantage trip on 30Nov. Will definitely leave their bag home--like to travel with a rolling backpack. Would really like to have a copy of your "packing" list. Have a friend going on a Carib cruise who has 2 suitcases packed for a Feb trip. Would like to share your info with her. Please send the list to momcooneyatwohdotrrdotcom It is really woh--stands for western ohio. Happy Halloween!!!! Pat

Pat you have mail! and I am so jealous that you are already doing the doc dance! Lucky! We are having our final meeting with our group a week from Sunday and have asked GCT to send us the docs before then so we can hand them out. They said that wouldn't be a problem, so I am sure we will have them by the middle of next week sometime. I can hardly wait!

CP556, I think you have about got it! Every market has a lot of the same stuff, but they also have different things too, you just have to look for them. The only thing I woulld add that is on my list to get would be shoes. Germany has a lot of the great Italian brands for much cheaper than we can get here, so I am really hoping to come home with a few new pair.

Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you have lots of cute trick or treaters come to your door tonight.

I've been away for awhile and haven't kept up with this thread. I looked at the last few posts and note that some of you are packing and planning shopping lists. Last year I found the following helpful: silk long johns from LLBean, scarf, hat, gloves and money for shopping.

Right now I'm getting concerned about my trip. I just checked Vantage's web site and find that the December 9 trip is not sold out. My real concern is that the December 11 trip is not sold out either but it shows that there is limited availability but the December 9 trip does not show limited availability. Vantage is not offering any deals at this time, so I'm wondering if Vantage would cancel the trip if it doesn't sell out soon.

For the previous trips that I took with Vantage the travel documents have arrived about a week before the trip, so I'll need to wait for a few more weeks to find out what is going on. I sure hope the trip is not cancelled as I'm looking forward to the Christmas Markets.

Instead of cleaning or going to the store, I spent yesterday reading Cruise Critic! Now I am confused. Some of the older reviews about GCT ships talk about men wearing sport coats to dinner, and the women dressing up as well. Then I read threads about wearing jeans to dinner. I am not packing alot of clothes, and don't want to have to pack something that I am only going to wear for a couple of hours. Can you GCT veterans tell me what the "real" dress is on these cruises? I would like to wear jeans once or twice in the evening, but if I am going to be out of place in them, I need to redo my clothes list.

Thanks,

Lisa

Right now I'm getting concerned about my trip. I just checked Vantage's web site and find that the December 9 trip is not sold out. My real concern is that the December 11 trip is not sold out either but it shows that there is limited availability but the December 9 trip does not show limited availability. Vantage is not offering any deals at this time, so I'm wondering if Vantage would cancel the trip if it doesn't sell out soon.

For the previous trips that I took with Vantage the travel documents have arrived about a week before the trip, so I'll need to wait for a few more weeks to find out what is going on. I sure hope the trip is not cancelled as I'm looking forward to the Christmas Markets.

Hi ...

I doubt Vantage would cancel your cruise ... the only thing open is Cat A and AA ... all the others are sold out.

We're cruising Vantage the week before you, and we got our tickets Friday via UPS. They were scheduled for delivery tomorrow, Nov 3, but got on the truck early. So you might expect your tickets (in a BIG bag including a couple of carryon bags) in the next week.

Let us know when they arrive.

Instead of cleaning or going to the store, I spent yesterday reading Cruise Critic! Now I am confused. Some of the older reviews about GCT ships talk about men wearing sport coats to dinner, and the women dressing up as well. Then I read threads about wearing jeans to dinner. I am not packing alot of clothes, and don't want to have to pack something that I am only going to wear for a couple of hours. Can you GCT veterans tell me what the "real" dress is on these cruises? I would like to wear jeans once or twice in the evening, but if I am going to be out of place in them, I need to redo my clothes list.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa---

We're on Vantage Dec 2 and have the same question. The booklet says there are two dressy nights and gentlemen should wear suit/sport jacket. And that tuxedos and evening gowns are optional.

The new airline weight rules and Vantage's request that you limit luggage to one checked bag per person seem to contradict that.

Please, someone who's experienced on Vantage ... what IS the "real" dress? I'd planned on various slacks and tops for the whole trip ... nothing at all fancy. Comfort and warmth are my top priorities, but we don't want to stick out like sore thumbs.

Any advice, all?

Thanks....

Carol

Can't speak for Vantage, but my experience on GCT was there were about 5 guys that had sport coats on. Didn't see any women in dresses. Most were wearing nice dress slacks with a pretty blouse or sweater. That's what I am planning on taking. Not enough room in the bags for much else!

Hi Fred:

You should recieve your docs approx. 1 month prior to your cruise.

Hi Cathy:

I read your post with interest. I have sailed with Uniworld twice. One was The Tulips and Windmills this year. and the other was European Serenade last year Amsterdam to Vienna. I was also at 3sixty this year.

If you'd like some info. email me at tiggypooo@yahoo.ca

Lisa,

We're not actually doing a Christmas cruise, but we're going to be in cold weather as well, leaving Friday. I have been reading this with interest. Since Pam has indicated you dress in layers, etc, I'm busy trying to find sweaters, etc for under my light fleece coat, and am not planning on even packing dress pants. I'm doing jeans, atheltic wear stuff, and anything else I can find for warmth and comfort. I live in Florida and am not crazy about this cold weather, but don't want to waste precious luggage space on pants and a top to wear to dinner. I will try to bring a top or two that is a little "better" than others, but they're going to get me as I'm used to being -- comfortable (without the flip flops, shorts and tshirts). We're doing GCT on the Harmony...

I should ask though...can anyone tell me if the lounge on ship typically very warm, or somewhat cool? I have been packing all long sleeved tops, and maybe I need to rethink that. I read that Pam said the cabins can be somewhat warm, but I wonder about the lounge and restaurant...

Can you tell we are newbies? :)

Lisa,

We're not actually doing a Christmas cruise, but we're going to be in cold weather as well, leaving Friday. I have been reading this with interest. Since Pam has indicated you dress in layers, etc, I'm busy trying to find sweaters, etc for under my light fleece coat, and am not planning on even packing dress pants. I'm doing jeans, atheltic wear stuff, and anything else I can find for warmth and comfort. I live in Florida and am not crazy about this cold weather, but don't want to waste precious luggage space on pants and a top to wear to dinner. I will try to bring a top or two that is a little "better" than others, but they're going to get me as I'm used to being -- comfortable (without the flip flops, shorts and tshirts). We're doing GCT on the Harmony...

I should ask though...can anyone tell me if the lounge on ship typically very warm, or somewhat cool? I have been packing all long sleeved tops, and maybe I need to rethink that. I read that Pam said the cabins can be somewhat warm, but I wonder about the lounge and restaurant...

Can you tell we are newbies? :)

I can honestly say I was never warm in the lounge or restaurant. Especially if sitting by a window, it tended to be a little chilly. I always had on long sleeve something and usually a sweater too. I wore my velvety warm up suit a lot and that was perfect. I have two for this upcoming trip! Will also be packing jeans and have a few of those cute "swing" jackets that are all over the stores. The hardest thing for me is getting used to wearing shoes! I am also a flip flop wearer and we are still wearing them. I need to get my feet into some shoes on a regular basis or I will be in trouble.

Pam, I love to hear that!!! I bought a pair of cheap loafers and a pair of sneakers and wore the sneakers for an hour today trying to "break them in". I felt like I had boats on my feet. I have not worn an enclosed shoe since I had to don a pair of broken down loafers for a trip in 2002. I live in sandals....I also had to go out an buy socks...don't own any! My feet won't know what is happening to them. ;-)

If you have done these Xmas cruises before...do you typically hit wet, slushy weather? Some of the region hasn't been too bad of late, and I saw 50 today....If we like this trip, the Christmas one might be of interest.

The Euro at $1.27 isn't too bad right now....I hope it takes another little "dip" this week!!

Thanks for your info, Pam, as always! It will be interesting to hear about your trip when you return!

Pam in Orlando

Dear Az Pam, I have lost my packing list. I believe you sent it to me, but I just can't find it! My email is kkbaygirl@satx.rr.com . Could you please re-send it to me? I really appreciate this!

Thanks to the rest of you for all your informative hints. What is everone's opinion of the direction the euro will take after our US elections? We leave on December 6. Should we buy euros pre-election or wait and see if they will fluctuate in our favor? Any opinions out there?

Thanks,

KK

Wish we knew about whether before or after would be the "good" time. We leave Friday, but if I need to send my husband to the bank tomorrow or Tuesday AM, I'd like to get in on a deal. Maybe buy $200 or so if the rate stays at $1.27 (or lower) tomorrow? Any financial wizards out there??

KK - check your email!

Pam, when we went 3 years ago, the weather really wasn't that bad. We had about 2 days that were a little bit wet, but not really raining. Just kind of spittin' if you know what I mean. 2 other days were just down right cold and we didn't hardly want to be outside, but other than that, perfect. Didn't see a lot of sun, but that's okay. I've been watching weather.com and we can expect to see temps in the mid 40's from what I can tell. That's not too bad. Sure wish we would have snow, but doubt it will happen. I have also been trying to break in some shoes before the trip, but it's just so hard to put them on when it's still so hot out. Our weather is supposed to break this week, so maybe then it will be easier. Be sure to check back after your trip since you are leaving a bit earlier than the rest of us. We will look to hear some good tips from you!

So, do we really think there will be another dip in the Euro after the election? Wouldn't that be wonderful, at least for us? (Sorry Steamboats!) I have to get some Swiss Francs and was planning on talking to the bank this week. My brother got my SIL some Euro's last week when he was in Germany at the ATM and only had to pay $2 for the exchange, which was pretty cheap.

I went to the craft store this afternoon with my daughter so she could get some fabric. I found some really cute foamy snowmen that are about 3-4 inches high that I am going to use to decorate the doors of the other gals in our group! Got some paint to put their names on them too. Last time GCT had stockings on every door, but we are going to feel extra special! Also got some snowflakes too.

Just got two more things stuck off my list of preparations. This morning I packed my drug bag. It's a small cosmetic bag filled with just about every over the counter drug I could possibly need should I get sick. I even included a prescription for pink eye!

The other thing I've been working on is my holiday letter. I won't be sending Christmas cards this year, I am sending a Thanksgiving letter! Won't they all be shocked when they open that! Bet I win for the first one out! :p Got it done now just have to print it off and address the envelopes. Think I'll wait until Thanksgiving week to mail, but it's one less thing I need to worry about.

Next up, shopping for the out of towners that have to be mailed . . . .

With the exchange rate, think of us Australians- our dollar is worthless against nearly every other currency. I did but a little in July while rates were good. who would have thought the rates would drop so dramatically.

We have friends booked on a river cruise next June and they were given 24hrs to pay in full or they would be hit with a 30% surcharge.

It is interesting to note that when the Aussie dollar was at USD.95 the cruise lines didn't give a drop in prices. Apparently they hedge the rate at USD .84

I am now on countdown with only a week to go.

Pam et al,

Well. I will make one more attempt to post this. Here are 2 sited to whet your appetites for upcoming cruises.

www.christkindlemarkt.de/english

www.koeln.de/whatson/christmas/markets.html

There are descriptions, pictures and operating times. Nuremberg is famous for its "prune people"--really walnut heads. Enjoy. Pat

I booked our shuttle to the airport for Nov. 28th. They will pick us up at 6:50 AM!! :eek: For a 9 AM flight!! and we're 10 - 15 min from the airport!!! What's up with that? I even told them that it was a domestic flight because we go from Seattle to LAX to Paris to Vienna and change airlines at LAX. :rolleyes: But I still can't wait to go!!! :D

I booked our shuttle to the airport for Nov. 28th. They will pick us up at 6:50 AM!! :eek: For a 9 AM flight!! and we're 10 - 15 min from the airport!!! What's up with that? I even told them that it was a domestic flight because we go from Seattle to LAX to Paris to Vienna and change airlines at LAX. :rolleyes: But I still can't wait to go!!! :D

Will it really matter? You aren't going to get much sleep that night anyway with the excitement building. At least I don't! :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the links to the markets. I think something similar was posted way back and I hadn't bookmarked them.

Archived