Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

We are on a GCT ship and I don't see any mention of a laundry room, so I guess I will be washing things out in the sink. Do GCT ships have the retractible clothesline in the shower that I can use? If not, where do you hang things to dry?

Thanks in advance.

Hello fellow Christmas cruisers:

We're on the Viking Europe, Nov 25 from Vienna to Passau. Viking offered this deal that was too hard to pass up.... Looking forward to the experience - we've been in Europe a few times touring and big ships on the ocean blue, and Christmas shopping is very important to Nancy. For me, I like the free organ concerts in the cathedrals at lunchtime (fixed income...) and the wursts... and the bier..... Not a big fan of the gingerbread cookies, but the tortes of Austria are unbelievable.

Birch and Nancy

Hubby and I are on the Viking Spirit Leaving on December 7 on Danube Christmas Market trip. How many checked suitcases are each of you going to bring? Hubby wants TWO each + our carry-ons! I am trying to talk him out of this, but he insists that the winter clothes will take up lots of room. Any suggestions?

Also, I would like the packing list emailed if possible.

Please send to: kkbaygirl@satx.rr.com :confused:

Thanks!

Pam, the author of the list is in Boston right now. Don't know if she'll be answering requests til she arrives back in AZ. If you wear your winter coat, you should only need one suitcase each. Remember in cooler weather you shouldn't need to change very often during the day. River cruising is a more casual way of cruising--no real dressy clothes or formals needed. Having travelled in winter before, the clothes really don't take up that much more room. Just needs a bit more coordinating of outfits. Our trip will be 11 days-wear one set of clothes, pack 5 days worth more--just wash in the sink in bathroom. We all know the weight limits and don't expect 2 sets of clothes each day and different for each day of trip. There may be some days when you only have about 20 min. between returning to the boat and dinner. Take some type of foldable duffle that can be used for all the goodies to bring home. Enjoy and travel safely. We leave on 30 Nov for Nuremberg to Cologne. Can't wait. Pat

kkbay,

We will also be on the Viking Spirit Dec 7th. We are flying From Los Angeles in to Neuremberg on the 5th ,and also staying an extra 2 days in Vienna on the backside.

I believe we are only going to pack 1 large suitcase each since I heard you dont need to "dress" for dinners. It sounds from the other posts though, an extra suitcase for all the loot might be a great idea .We thought we would carry our long heavy coats on board and pack the lighter stuff,and plan on layering .I am planning on picking up some silk long underwear and tights for under my jeans for running around most days and plan on staying pretty casual. Maybe a pair of slacks or skirt for the captains or welcome dinner , Otherwise sweaters and jeans.This will be our first River cruise so I am not all that sure what to expect, we are fairly well traveled and have done 11 or 12 ocean cruises. My husband travels for business alot.I have gone with him quite a bit. But we really enjoy cruising and unpacking just once and not having to decide where to go for dinner.

Good Luck with the suitcases......... more might be better at least on the way home

Kris

We have also traveled extensively, so I don't know what's gotten into my husband. He knows what a hassle it is to take lots of items that you never use. I planned to pack just as you suggested, and am trying to get him to do the same. I certainly don't want to fool with all those suitcases. I plan on taking only one ( don't care that the airlines will let us check two) and packing a duffel bag to help in packing for the trip back with all the goodies. Unfortunately, we cannot extend our stay. We have a son in college who will be flying home for Christmas break and we really want to be home when he arrives. I would have loved to spend more time in Vienna. Hope to meet you on the cruise.:)

kkbay and Kris, we will be getting off the Viking Spirit in Nuremburg the day you are getting on. :D We're staying one night there and then taking the train to Munich to spend time with Steamboats and her family.

Therefore, I know that I won't be able to get by with one checked bag. Especially with all the gifts that we're taking to Germany! :eek: But that will be our empty bag to bring things home. :rolleyes:

Trish,

Do not complain!! It was you who just added the corn syrup to the gift list!:D

But we´ll be happy to take some weight off your bags:) !

steamboats

I'm not REALLY complaining!! I'm having a great time finding new things to bring. I already bought the corn syrup last night. :D The more I bring, the more I can take home, right? ;)

Trish ,

I am starting to get excited for this vacation. One of the Doc's I work with did this cruise a few years ago and said it was his favorite vacation ever . He also said "expect to be the youngest people on board". I dont know about that? I am 47 and Hubby is 59. We got our flu shots today and I am starting to organize my things to do before I go list. My Hubby leaves for China and Dubai on Nov 1 st so , I wanted to make sure his shot was in him before he takes off . Have a great cruise and I hope to meet kkbay on board.

Kris

Trish ,

I am starting to get excited for this vacation. One of the Doc's I work with did this cruise a few years ago and said it was his favorite vacation ever . He also said "expect to be the youngest people on board". I dont know about that? I am 47 and Hubby is 59. We got our flu shots today and I am starting to organize my things to do before I go list. My Hubby leaves for China and Dubai on Nov 1 st so , I wanted to make sure his shot was in him before he takes off . Have a great cruise and I hope to meet kkbay on board.

Kris

Kris, I would say it will be safe to say you will be one of the youngest on the boat, other than crew members. I know I was on my first river cruise. Didn't really matter to me though. There were a few grumpy people, but there were a few 75 year olds that could walk circles around me. Those "young at heart" types!

One thing we are recommending to our group of travelers, in addition to getting the flu shot, is to ask their docs for an antibiotic to have with them just in case. Some will do this, some won't, but it sure would be nice to have if it's needed.

Cherie, when I got home today, I packed all of my bathroom stuff for my trip so it would already be ready to go next month! I am starting to figure out my wardrobe, putting my limited number of outfits together, and hanging them in the "staging room", formally known as the guest room! :D

Pat, do you really do laundry in the sink? I don't want to be bothered if I don't have to. Last time I went I took 4 pairs of pants with 4 shirts for each pair of pants. Gave me 16 outfits. I am pretty sure I'm going with that strategy again if I can. I also had a 75lb weight limit last time, so it might be more of a challenge!

Pam,

The type of laundry done in the sink is undies and socks. Just need to tuck the dinner napkin in the neck of my top, so that the spills don't show. I also try to bring a limited number of outfits--easier in winter than summer. Pat

Pam,

The type of laundry done in the sink is undies and socks. Just need to tuck the dinner napkin in the neck of my top, so that the spills don't show. I also try to bring a limited number of outfits--easier in winter than summer. Pat

You might think this is gross, so excuse me if it's TMI, but I've been saving old undies and just plan to throw them out! I always try to do that for bigger trips so I don't have to sink laundry.

More great packing ideas Roger, Thanks!

As always Pam, what a great idea!!

You can thank my mother for that one. Only one time she had a cabin steward chasing after her with the old underwear that had been placed in the trash can. :eek: I guess they figured she had made a mistake or something, but this guy literally chased her down the hallway. Said she was pretty embarrassed but made for a good story around the dinner table that night. :D

Anybody have any other embarrassing cruise stories they want to share? :p

Anybody have any other embarrassing cruise stories they want to share? :p

We went on a snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas. It was one of those where they hand you a new rum punch before you've finished the last one. :rolleyes: It's hot and they taste good and you forget how many you've had until you try to get off the boat. Since we were the last ship on the pier, it was a mile back to the ship and we needed a cab. :o Then when we got back to the ship and were changing out of our wet suits, the steward came to deliver some clean laundry. We were slow to get the door (putting on a bathrobe) and giggling a lot. I'm sure that he thought he had interupted "something". :p :o :o

Like AZPam, I also save old undies and then throw them out, but I have yet to convince my husband. He likes to be very comfortable and wearing old undies does not do it for him.

I also take old clothes and shoes. For example, on a trip to Europe 2 years ago, I did a stopover in Hong Kong ( the weather the warm). I knew that the rest of the trip would be cold, so I packed an old shirt and shorts and a pair of old shoes. At the airport, before boarding the plane for Europe, I showered and changed into my winter clothes. I then gave the bag of summer clothes to the receptionist at the shower desk and advised they were for the rubbish bin.

For longer trips, I pack old PJ's.

Hi All: Great thread. My wife and I are travelling with GCT from Basel to Amsterdam on the Ms Concerto Dec. 12- Dec 23rd. We done many river cruises in Europe, i.e. Danube, Rhone, Seine. Has anyone taken this cruise, or currently booked on it? Does anyone know of website that would give info on the ports of call: Breisach,Strasbourg,Speyer,Mainz,Cologne, Dusseldorf, Nijmegen? We like to do our own thing in the small towns.

PAM: would love to receive an email of your packing List. In addition you might mention that those using ATM cards will have to have a 4 digit pin number. In the US most are 5 digits. Thanks all for the great information!

SKYVIEW 851: Would love to hear a critique of your trip when you return!

Ed & Ellen Zelniker from San Diego

ezel@cox.net

Pam,

Could you please send your list to my link in my signature section?

Thanks very much.

(We're in the planning stage for a Christmas Market cruise next year followed by a stay down in Bavaria.)

Pete

Hello!!

We just booked our first river boat cruise this weekend. This will be our first river boat cruise.

We are on the Amalegro, Nuremberg to Budapest 'Christmas Time' cruise with AMA Waterways. We decided not to do Prague but we are staying several days on our own post cruise in Budapest.

We leave on the 29th of November. This is so exciting!!

I have always wanted to see the Christmas Markets. It should be lovely!!

I will be glued to CC for any packing information.

Great thread!!!

Archived