Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

Cherie,

I've been looking at suitcases too but can't seem to find one that is light weight. With only 50 lbs I can't have a suitcase that starts out at 18 lbs! Hoping to find one 10lbs or under. Have you seen anything like that in your search? Without paying an arm and a leg too?

I'm still looking too and haven't had much luck. I have too many requirements and I think that I'm not going to find all my desires in one suitcase. Thanks everyone for all the tips!

:) Cherie

I'm working on breaking in my walking shoes for the cruise and developed a blister that got infected! :eek: Good thing we don't leave until the day after Thanksgiving. Just a heads up because I wouldn't have wanted this to happen the first day of our cruise. Still, we're planning on bringing antibiotic cream and bandaids. :D

I'm working on breaking in my walking shoes for the cruise and developed a blister that got infected! :eek: Good thing we don't leave until the day after Thanksgiving. Just a heads up because I wouldn't have wanted this to happen the first day of our cruise. Still, we're planning on bringing antibiotic cream and bandaids. :D

I did that last week! Didn't get the blister though and still have one pair that needs a little more work. I try to switch off shoes every day so my feet don't get so tired. I am still debating on if I will take my snow boots or not. I didn't need them last time except for one day when it was really rainy. Both pairs of shoes I plan to bring this time are a little more water tolerant, but if it's real wet, I don't want to wreck them either. What's your opinion?

Lisa, welcome to the group! I think our ships will be passing on the river! I'm wondering about the whole boot issue like you! And I've done this trip before. From what I've read and been told, I don't think we should get our hopes up for snow though. As for your packing list, don't forget some over the counter meds in case a cold sneaks up on your or something. And everybody really needs to consider getting a flu shot soon!

Cherie, I think the airlines just need to let us have the old 75 lb limit! This 50lbs business is for the birds! I just need more stuff than that! :rolleyes: I don't know how anybody can go to Europe for 2 weeks with one small bag, but I know people do it all the time. I just won't be one of them!

I normally change shoes often when on a cruise too but it will really depend on the weather because, like you, I don't want to ruin my everyday shoes. My walking shoes are like regular (heavy) tennis shoes but they are high tops - come up around my ankle. They are water resistant so I'll wear them if it's wet.

We used FF miles to get first/business class tickets so we can have 2 -- 70 lb. bags each!! :eek: Plus carry ons. I have no intention of bringing that much stuff because I'd just have to schlep it around. We'll probably do 2 -- 50 lb. bags each and, of course, one of them will be full of gifts for our German friends on the way there. :D

Cherie, I think the airlines just need to let us have the old 75 lb limit! This 50lbs business is for the birds! I just need more stuff than that! :rolleyes: I don't know how anybody can go to Europe for 2 weeks with one small bag, but I know people do it all the time. I just won't be one of them!

I seem to go over my weight limit about 10lbs and that is not overfilling the suitcase either. I think I must have heavy clothes or something! :D

Today I went to TJMaxx and I found they had several suitcases to choose from. I believe a couple might work because they are lightweight and they have swivel rollers on them which I like. Still I'm going to look around a bit before I buy.

I'm also looking at converters/adapters for my curling iron & for the camera & camcorder. I'll feel better when I have these things taken care of and I'm just counting down the days!

:)Cherie

I am a newbie and stumbled upon this topic. We are going on our first river cruise in Dec. and you all have given me great insight on what to expect. I am excited about seeing the Christmas Markets, but am afraid (actually DH is more afraid than me) about how much I will need to bring home with me!

We will be on the Avalon Tranquility for the Dec. 13 trip which starts in Prague and ends in Vienna. We have been to both places many times, so won't extend our trip there, but will fly to Frankfurt and spend Christmas with my BIL and his family.

If anyone has been on the Tranquility, would love to hear your impressions.

We'll probably do 2 -- 50 lb. bags each and, of course, one of them will be full of gifts for our German friends on the way there. :D

Don´t worry, Trish, we do have a large trunk :rolleyes: and we should be able to drive up to the cruise ship landing in Nuremberg.

steamboats

I think I have an answer to my luggage issue. I am going to use a rolling duffle bag that we have. I weighed it and it's only 4 lbs! I know it won't keep my clothes as wrinkle free, but I think maybe the trade off in weight will be worth it.

I think I have an answer to my luggage issue. I am going to use a rolling duffle bag that we have. I weighed it and it's only 4 lbs! I know it won't keep my clothes as wrinkle free, but I think maybe the trade off in weight will be worth it.

Congrats on finding a solution to your luggage problem. I'm amazed and interested to hear that the duffle bag is only 4lbs. I wouldn't have guessed that it could be that light. I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do, that'll be a option now.

:)Cherie

Just wondering how many of you cross pack? Since I am only bringing one bag, my Mom and I are going to put in a few things in each other's bags just in case one should get lost for a few days. I also always try to have one outfit in my carry on too so I at least have one change of fresh clothing.

I am really getting into this now! Our group is having the last get together meeting before we leave on Nov 9 at a German restaurant. We have put together a "Traveler's Checklist" that I am quite proud of too. We have a few "blondes" (if you know what I mean) in our group that we kind of worry about, so we are trying to have everything written down so they can't complaine that we didn't tell them something. So, I've done the checklist, I did our itinerary page with all the hotel infor for our pre stay, ship info, flight info and my travel insurance info on it and I did a list of my current meds, including generic names, just in case. Can anybody think of anything else I need to include?

Be sure to notify your credit card companies that you will be out of the country so they will not block your charges ... and also make sure that your bank knows of your travels so that they can be sure that your ATM card will work overseas ...

Then just relax and enjoy the trip!!!

Yes, my DH and I ALWAYS cross pack but I'm always afraid that they will lose the suit bag will both our formal clothes. Thankfully, we won't be needing that bag this time.

Wow, it sounds like you have done an amazing job with your list!! Can I get a copy of your traveler's checklist? thughes at worldvision dot org I have no idea how you can travel with one bag and a carry on.

Be sure to notify your credit card companies that you will be out of the country so they will not block your charges ... and also make sure that your bank knows of your travels so that they can be sure that your ATM card will work overseas ...

Then just relax and enjoy the trip!!!

Yep, got that one on my travelers list. Had that happen to my folks one time when they were on a Med cruise and had stopped in Athens. Got a call from them while they were at a jewlery store and their card had been denied. Would you believe the owner of the store let me send him a personal check and let them take the stuff out the door with them that day? I am still shocked over that one.

Yes, my DH and I ALWAYS cross pack but I'm always afraid that they will lose the suit bag will both our formal clothes. Thankfully, we won't be needing that bag this time.

Wow, it sounds like you have done an amazing job with your list!! Can I get a copy of your traveler's checklist? thughes at worldvision dot org I have no idea how you can travel with one bag and a carry on.

As soon as I switch computers I will send it on over. I haven't saved it to my lap top yet!

The one bag, which I have now determined will be the rolling duffle, is almost as large as the limit will allow, so it's pretty big. GCT tries to limit each person to one bag and a carry on, although I know my Mom will be bringing two. I try to follow the rules if I can! :o I also pack a separate bag to bring home all my treasures though, so I always come home with two bags!

On our cruise, I also made sure to have a copy of our passports. Also, I scanned in copies of our passports and sent them as an attachment to my e-mail address. This way if I needed to get a replacement, I had either the paper copy or the electronic copy.

I never made it with the cross packing. I always wanted to but never got it. We usually scan our passports, credit cards and other important "papers" and "store" them online. I do the same with any kind of edocs I need on my trips (like e-tix for the flights, e-docs for a cruise...).

A friend of mine who is working in the security business at airports gave me the advice to write up your cruise schedule and a contact phone number and home adress and leave that sheet in the bag. In case the baggage tag got lost there is a good chance that you get your bags back.

steamboats

On our cruise, I also made sure to have a copy of our passports. Also, I scanned in copies of our passports and sent them as an attachment to my e-mail address. This way if I needed to get a replacement, I had either the paper copy or the electronic copy.

Yep, got that too! Sounds like we think alike. Keep them coming because I have a feeling you will come up with something I haven't.

Also have the itinerary with ship info, hotel info, dates of when and where we will be with our cell numbers, home numbers etc. I always put that in EVERY bag I take in the front pockets in case something should get lost. There should be no reason they couldn't figure out where I am and get it to me. My DH thinks I am nuts but one of these days all that will pay off.

I LOVE the idea of scanning everything and storing it on my email. I have some of it done that way, but not everything, so will add that to my list.

I am reading with interest, the posts on lightweight luggage.

For anyone in Canada or the US, there is a company called "Heys" that sells the lightest weight lugggage that I've ever lifted.

I got rid of 3 full sets of luggage 3 months ago and replaced them with a beautiful set of Heys.

They're very popular here in Canada, as they are sold by the Home Shopping Channel and therefore have lots of exposure. For anyone that doesn't like the thought of buying from the HSC, I know that I had hesitation also.

My friend bought a set and when I lifted them I was shocked at how light they are. I was also very surprised at the quality.

I'm hoping that I do not have to replace luggage for at least 10 yrs now.

You can either get them online at http://shop.Heys.ca or http://www.HeysUSA.com

or in Canada from the home shopping channel.

Tiggypoo is right! Heys luggage is very light & it is very durable. We have a set & even though my husband travels quite a bit, it has held up well. I think we bought our set on Ebay, since we couldn't find anyone in the US that sold it. It was worth every penny!

We will be cross packing as well. We always put the itinerary & our info in each bag too, and so far we have never needed to use it. The day I don't pack it will be the time that my luggage gets lost. I've started on my packing list too, but I'm having a hard time transitioning from the sunscreen-glasses-bathing suits list to the gloves, hats, boots list.

I will be using the spacebags for our bulky clothes. We've used them in the past and they really do help free up space in your luggage as well as keeping your clothes from sliding around in the suitcase. I always pack a few ziploc bags too. I always seem to have a need for them.

I do wish we would get our itinerary for this trip, but GCT says it won't come for another month. I can't wait!

Archived