Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2008 - all lines, all dates

AZPam

I am reading with interest, the posts on lightweight luggage.

For anyone in Canada or the US, there is a company called "Heys" that sells the lightest weight lugggage that I've ever lifted.

I got rid of 3 full sets of luggage 3 months ago and replaced them with a beautiful set of Heys.

They're very popular here in Canada, as they are sold by the Home Shopping Channel and therefore have lots of exposure. For anyone that doesn't like the thought of buying from the HSC, I know that I had hesitation also.

My friend bought a set and when I lifted them I was shocked at how light they are. I was also very surprised at the quality.

I'm hoping that I do not have to replace luggage for at least 10 yrs now.

You can either get them online at http://shop.Heys.ca or www.HeysUSA.com

or in Canada from the home shopping channel.

Thank you for the luggage tip! I'll check out the website right now!

:)Cherie

hulagirl you have mail! Letteanne, my mail came back to me. Checked the address and it was what you gave, so will try again. Let me know if you get it.

letteanne, 38 days! WOW! How lucky are you? Guess Santa will have to track you down this year. You must have been very good all year long! :D

We have put together a "Traveler's Checklist" that I am quite proud of too.

Pam --

I

d love to have a copy of the list, too ... cphillips556 at yahoo dot com

Thanks so much

Carol in SC

Carol & Floridagirl, you have mail!

I make NO claims that this will help you stay in the weight limits though. I have my own issues with that! My list is mostly reminders to make sure you bring certain things. On a past group trip we had one gal, who is also going on this trip with us, pack her passport and her cruise docs in her checked luggage!

Since I've had so many ask for my list, I tried to post it on here, but I can't it to go. I will try to post sections of the list separately and see what happens. If others have ideas of things that need to be added, let me know. I am always trying to improve it!

Pre-Departure

(IN your flight bag)

o Passport & copy

o Plane Tickets

o Itinerary in each bag

o Emergency Info

o Travelers Insurance Info

o Currency/Credit Cards

Travel Gear

o Main Travel Bag

o Carry on/Daypack

o Extra Bag for treasures

o Money Belt/Security Pouch

o Books/Magazines/I Pod

o TSA Suitcase Locks

Maintenance Items

o Camera & Battery Charger or Batteries

o Cell Charger

o Converter & 1600 Watt Adapter

o Sewing Repair Kit

o Baggies

Travel Health

o Copy of all Prescription Meds (generic names and dosages)

o Prescription Meds

o Pain Reliever/Aspirin

o Cold Meds

o Contact Lens Items

o Diarrhea Meds

o Antacid/Tums

o Laxative

o Throat Lozenges

o Antibiotic Cream

o Motion Sickness Meds

o Vitamins

o Moleskin/band aids

Toiletries

o Comb/brush

o Curling Iron/Straightener

o Toothbrush/paste

o Floss/mouthwash

o Deodorant

o Skin Care lotion/creams

o Personal Hygiene Items

o Make up

o Hair care

o Razors/shaving cream

o Sunscreen/Lip Balm

o Shower Hat

o Ear plugs

Everyday Items

o Clothing

o 1-2 nicer outfits for special dinners

o 2 pairs comfy walking shoes

o Boots

o Long underware

o Undergarments/slippers/nighties

o Coat/Gloves/Scarf/Hat

o Umbrella/rain poncho

o Hand Sanitizer/Towlettes

o Tissues

o Cell Phone

o Travel ALARM Clock

Home Check List

o Advise bank of future foreign credit card use for countries visiting

o Reconfirm Flights with airline 5 days in advance

o Leave a house key and trip itinerary with neighbor

o Check with cell phone provider regarding international service

PLEASE remember that this is geared towards a bunch of women, many who have never been out of the country. What else should I add?

Pam,

"underware" is really underwear. :rolleyes: I would add a roll of cotton for between the toes -- after my experience last week. We bought a box of toe warmers. They are one time use items similar to ThermaCare products. We also bought rain pants at REI. You wear them over your regular pants to stay dry. Not necessary but we wanted them for this cruise and Alaska next May. If I think of anything else (I'll go check my list :o ), I'll let you know.

Oh, binoculars -- which might be difficult for those limited to 1 bag.

Pam,

"underware" is really underwear. :rolleyes: I would add a roll of cotton for between the toes -- after my experience last week. We bought a box of toe warmers. They are one time use items similar to ThermaCare products. We also bought rain pants at REI. You wear them over your regular pants to stay dry. Not necessary but we wanted them for this cruise and Alaska next May. If I think of anything else (I'll go check my list :o ), I'll let you know.

Oh, binoculars -- which might be difficult for those limited to 1 bag.

Oops! Thanks for catching my typo! :o Binoculars would have been nice along the Rhine with the castles but I'm not sure I want to give up that much weight with only 1 bag. I might start a suggestion type column for those types of things.

I brought my Ipod on my last cruise but forgot part of the charger so I was limited as to how much I could use it before the battery ran out.

Had the IPod but not the charger, so that has now been added! Good call

Pam,

I suggest to put the ear plugs in your carry on/day pack for the flight. I usually have an extra light weight thingy I put all my things into I need inside the plane (headphones - I got those noise reduction ones -, ear plugs, thick socks, teeth cleaning chewing gum, desinfection wet wipes for the lavatory, if you got one of those things you put over your eyes for sleeping, salt water nose spray, a little plastic bag for garbage). I put that bag in my carry on back pack and take it out in the plane. I also have my neck cushion with me for long distance flights.

I also squeeze in travel size toiletries into my 1 quart zipper, just the things I need to "survive" for one night without my checked luggage (and of course a set of clothing in my backpack).

For long distance flights I´m also wearing those special compression knee socks as a precaution against thrombosis.

steamboats

hulagirl you have mail! Letteanne, my mail came back to me. Checked the address and it was what you gave, so will try again. Let me know if you get it.

letteanne, 38 days! WOW! How lucky are you? Guess Santa will have to track you down this year. You must have been very good all year long! :D

pam,

Yes I received your list, Thank You.

Letteanne

Pam,

I suggest to put the ear plugs in your carry on/day pack for the flight. I usually have an extra light weight thingy I put all my things into I need inside the plane (headphones - I got those noise reduction ones -, ear plugs, thick socks, teeth cleaning chewing gum, desinfection wet wipes for the lavatory, if you got one of those things you put over your eyes for sleeping, salt water nose spray, a little plastic bag for garbage). I put that bag in my carry on back pack and take it out in the plane. I also have my neck cushion with me for long distance flights.

I also squeeze in travel size toiletries into my 1 quart zipper, just the things I need to "survive" for one night without my checked luggage (and of course a set of clothing in my backpack).

For long distance flights I´m also wearing those special compression knee socks as a precaution against thrombosis.

steamboats

Some EXCELLENT suggestions! I have ear plugs listed as both my mom and I snore and I have a hard time sleeping! :D Never thought of it for the plane. Both of us wear the compression socks and totally forgot about the neck cushion! I will add it right away.

So where do you find compression socks?

I ended up buying one size larger than my usual size. I tried on my regular size and they were TOO tight on my legs. One size up was just right .... (said Goldilocks....lol...)

CP,

They should be tight to compress your veins :D! I know it´s pretty hard to get them on. Actually mine are by Kunert and also worn by LH flight attendants (but I don´t know whether Kunert is also sold in the US). DH has his from a medical supply store.

steamboats

Archived