I Could Sure Use Some Experienced Help Please!

rubyrosedreamer

I've only flown 4 times in my life and they were all before the airline fare upheavals that have taken place. My cruise is booked for 10/19/09 and I need to fly from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. I'm only interested in non-stop flights and I plan to leave a day early for the first time because things are becoming increasingly more unpredictable and I don't want weather, mechanical or other issues to prevent me from boarding.

So far, the schedules aren't open yet since it's in excess of a year but I need to learn now what to do to get the best airfare possible. With oil prices changing so frequently, I'm not sure if I should book as far in advance as possible or wait for some trend to occur that in my limited knowledge, I'm not aware of. If I wait too long, with the reduction in seats and routes by most airlines, I'm afraid I may miss out.

Any help, tips, knowledge would be most gratefully accepted.

Just American from O'Hare. I believe United has eliminated all of their direct flights from ORD to FLL. I would suggest that you get an idea of the costs and check the flight prices and number of available seats on a regular basis. American often opens up seats with a lower airfare as time passes. Of course, this is only to your advantage if the plane has a lot of empty seats. If you notice that the more and more seats are being booked, I would not wait. The airfares are often capacity controlled and the less seats available the higher the costs.

I believe that Spirit also flys non stop to FLL, but it is hard to keep up with all the changes.

With Untied cancelling their entire presence in FLL, I would guess American flights might be priced higher than in the past ... supply and demand.

Flights for the legacies post 329 days out ... and I would start watching them from the day they open. When you find a fare you are comfortable with, buy it with no regrets or remorse should the fares drop a tad.

You might also consider flights in and out of Miami. American has beaucoup flights ORD/MIA/ORD, as that is a hub for their service to/from Central and South America and the Islands.

Here are my tips:

1) Book airfare along wioth your cruise fare through the airlines--Get your travel agent to break out the prices with and without air...This is your hedge against not finding the right airfare. You don't have to pay any additional deposit, yet you can cancel this portion of the fare at any time prior to final payment. Even though you can likely find better--depending on time of year and where your flying from--there are many variables that affect this...Sometimes it just turns out you can't do better and it's nice to know this fall-back is your worst case. Also remember that with cruise air, your "transfers"--rides from airport to ship and ship back to airport are typically included--so, include the cost of taxis or shuttles in your figuring--plus there's the advantage that you don't have to purchase a nonrefundable ticket well in advance. Then, continue, at your leisure to hunt for an appropriate sale or airfare that you like.

2) If you want to use Frequent Flier miles (and, yes, many people accumulate lots of these through credit cards and other sources without ever actually flying), then make sure to RESERVE your flights exactly 330 days prior to departure if you can...book the front end...have thenm put it "on hold" and come back and book the back end 330 days before that date...Sometimes this takes a call back or two since they seldom want to hold these flights for more than 5 days...The reason to book so far ahead, especially for popular flights at popular times , is that the airlines have drastically limited the number of FF seats they will allow on any one flight...

3) If you are waiting on a "Sale", remember that airlines tend to run these sales only for "off peak" dates...So you might wait out a sale if you're cruising in April or October, but don't hold your breath if your cruise is over a holiday period or during Summer school vacation.

4) Expect fewer real bargains. With rising fuel prices, added security costs and increasing maintenance concerns, the airlines are being squeezed...and they can't just drive up sales by dropping prices--not if it will cost them more money than they're charging to run the flight...This is why they are all looking for new sources of revenue--charging for checked bags, charging for what used to be free food, adding "ticketing fees", etc....and they're still all hurting...It's a competitive business--but they are all in the same boat...Expect prices to rise more than they will fall...IOW, if you see a fare that you like, that is substantially better than your hedge with the cruise air, go ahead and book it...Do not wait around for that last minute bargain...it's likely not coming.

Whatever you end up with, just learn to accept it...It is what it is...You want to cruise, it's going to cost...Just get comfortable with whatever the cost is....If you're willing to pay it, it's worth it...

I would book when you find a fare that seems good to you. American and United probably have the most non-stops from Chicago. I would recommend using Kayak.com they give you the lowest fares and where to buy them.

American no longer shows up on Kayak - in fact American and Kayak have lawsuits going against each other.

With Untied cancelling their entire presence in FLL, I would guess American flights might be priced higher than in the past ... supply and demand.

I was quite suprised to find out about United, since I had used them the last 2 flights.

Flights for the legacies post 329 days out ... and I would start watching them from the day they open. When you find a fare you are comfortable with, buy it with no regrets or remorse should the fares drop a tad.

I'm not sure what you mean by legacies....?

You might also consider flights in and out of Miami. American has beaucoup flights ORD/MIA/ORD, as that is a hub for their service to/from Central and South America and the Islands.

I am thinking about this option too but wonder if the savings would just be eaten up by the travel cost involved getting to Fort Lauderdale.

southwest has a few nonstops currently...not sure what they will have when you need them...from Midway which is MYCH better than O'Hare.....

This is an option that sounds very attractive when coupled with their zero cost baggage fee policies currently in effect.

Has anyone noticed any significant differences between the rates offered on travel sites vs direct booking with the airlines themselves?

I've only flown 4 times in my life and they were all before the airline fare upheavals that have taken place. My cruise is booked for 10/19/09 and I need to fly from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. I'm only interested in non-stop flights and I plan to leave a day early for the first time because things are becoming increasingly more unpredictable and I don't want weather, mechanical or other issues to prevent me from boarding.

So far, the schedules aren't open yet since it's in excess of a year but I need to learn now what to do to get the best airfare possible. With oil prices changing so frequently, I'm not sure if I should book as far in advance as possible or wait for some trend to occur that in my limited knowledge, I'm not aware of. If I wait too long, with the reduction in seats and routes by most airlines, I'm afraid I may miss out.

Any help, tips, knowledge would be most gratefully accepted.

You need to be flexable. Consider that

ORD-MIA +limo from MIA to FLL might be cheaper than ORD-FLL

MDW-MIA or MDW-FLL are always options, check SOUTHWEST

By the time you book, it's quite possible that Allegiant air might be flying Rockford-FLL.

A one stop might be hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I would start looking for tickets in Jan or Feb, but be flexable

So far, the schedules aren't open yet since it's in excess of a year but I need to learn now what to do to get the best airfare possible. With oil prices changing so frequently, I'm not sure if I should book as far in advance as possible or wait for some trend to occur that in my limited knowledge, I'm not aware of.
My suggested strategy, given that you are looking for air travel that is so far away: Sign up for emails about specials and sales from all airlines that are likely to be candidates for your trip. From time to time, also look at the prices for trips over that route at various times of the year, and see what sort of prices are being charged at different advance booking periods. Watch to see how fare sales affect those fares. You will, over time, get a feel for the likely low points of the pricing peaks and troughs. Then, when you see a price that you like, book it. And don't look back if you have any tendency to suffer from buyer's remorse.

We have flown from Chicago to FLL a number if times and will be doing it again in 58 days:D (will also be flying through ORD tomorrow) We have always gone out of ORD (parents live 5 miles from ORD). To get direct flights out of ORD at the time you are looking at you will have two options, (at least for know) American and Spirit . United no longer flies to FLL. At the moment (and in general over the last few years) they have a early morning direct flight and a noonish direct flight. Not sure about Spirit, but their current schedule shows about 10am. One thing about American and going to FLL, is also consider going to MIA (Miami) MIA is a big operation for American and the flights from Chicago are more plentiful. On our cruise in November we are flying into FLL and out of MIA. (MIA can be had for $95 if you want to vary when you fly)

The other option is MDW (Midway) on Southwest. They have direct flights as well. Airtran is another option out of MDW, but you will likely have to stop in Atlanta.

MDW does not suffer the delay issues that ORD does with weather or the number of flights at one time. Granted, ORD will likely be a little better when you go since the airlines are cutting the number of flights into and out of ORD and the new runway which opens this november will make the operations smoother

Another thing to keep in mind is that with any of these airlines except Southwest, you are going to pay baggage fees to check luggage so factor that into the airfare (2 checked bags per person on American will cost you $160 round trip)

Al things considered with how well flying out of Chicago can be, I would go down the day before. Better safe than sorry.

Tim

I asked for experience and am happily getting great information! I thank everyone who has responded so far.

These seem to be my airline choices so far: American, Southwest, Spirit, Airtran and possibly Alligient in the future.

I really don't want the hassle of switching planes, layovers or short connections. I don't enjoy flying itself so the sooner I'm where I need to be, the better for me. This also keeps the odds of baggage being lost/misplaced lower. I realize this may mean a slightly higher cost but it is well worth it. This in itself is telling me to book soon after fares open to ensure a seat.

Checked baggage costs will also have to be factored in to the airfare and tax.

Never fear, I prefer to do my homework in advance to avoid buyers remorse. There is just no use looking back for the most part. After all, crystal balls are highly overrated! :D

Southwest has a great notification system. If you go to their website, you can download "Ding". You pick the airports that interest you and when a sale comes up, a tiny evelope appears on their icon. It's a very handy tool. One thing about Southwest is that if the fare drops, they will give you a credit for the price difference if you ask. Good luck and happy cruising. :)

2P.P1

i have only used one of the booking sites ONCE....when the carrier's site was funky! otherwise, i ALWAYS use the airline sites....

i hate O'Scare.....too big, too busy.....(but it's cool to ride around the monorail thinggie.....you get good view of planes...i am an airplane freak!)

and, just my opinion, but customer service-wise, southwest really excels! on the off chance they do something dippy, they eal with it right there....(my bag got delayed for like 8 hours...not a biggie since i KNEW it was on the next flight and i was staying in an airport hotel, not going to get on a boat or anything......and they gave me 50 bucks for necessties and a nice travel kit with toiletries and such.......

{not saying that to scare you at all......just know that they are really not you-know-whats!}

I asked for experience and am happily getting great information! I thank everyone who has responded so far.

These seem to be my airline choices so far: American, Southwest, Spirit, Airtran and possibly Alligient in the future.

I really don't want the hassle of switching planes, layovers or short connections. I don't enjoy flying itself so the sooner I'm where I need to be, the better for me. This also keeps the odds of baggage being lost/misplaced lower. I realize this may mean a slightly higher cost but it is well worth it. This in itself is telling me to book soon after fares open to ensure a seat.

Checked baggage costs will also have to be factored in to the airfare and tax.

Never fear, I prefer to do my homework in advance to avoid buyers remorse. There is just no use looking back for the most part. After all, crystal balls are highly overrated! :D

Waving "Hi" to you as I will be on this cruise with you :) I book my air as soon as possible when they open the reservations. I look at current prices and in some cases what I've paid in the past and when I see a price that fits within what I'm willing to spend I book it. My options for flying into FLL are limited unless I drive 2 hours to another airport where Southwest becomes an option for us. Southwest based on our past experience with them is my airline of choice for this trip so I would gladly drive the extra distance. Just to get an idea of what "current" prices are for same date travel this year (I adjusted the days to reflect the same travel days next year) Southwest is offering round trip flights with schedules that I would book in a heartbeat for $597 total for both of us together. IMO that's one heck of a deal and I'd be booking it right now if it were available for next year.

... I plan to leave a day early for the first time because things are becoming increasingly more unpredictable and I don't want weather, mechanical or other issues to prevent me from boarding.

With planning like this, you could give advice! :)

Southwest has a great notification system. If you go to their website, you can download "Ding". You pick the airports that interest you and when a sale comes up, a tiny evelope appears on their icon. It's a very handy tool. One thing about Southwest is that if the fare drops, they will give you a credit for the price difference if you ask. Good luck and happy cruising. :)

2P.P1

Great tip about Ding! I've signed up for it and went to the other airline sites and done the same with what they offered. Thanks

By legacies, I meant the likes of American, Continental, Delta, Untied, Northwest, U.S. Air ... as opposed to some of the upstart or low-cost carriers, such as Southwest or AirTran, as they open their flights on a different timeline.

Ah, that makes so much sense, grateful for the explanation Camp!

i have only used one of the booking sites ONCE....when the carrier's site was funky! otherwise, i ALWAYS use the airline sites....

i hate

O'Scare
.....too big, too busy.....(but it's cool to ride around the monorail thinggie.....you get good view of planes...i am an airplane freak!)

and, just my opinion, but customer service-wise, southwest really excels! on the off chance they do something dippy, they eal with it right there....(my bag got delayed for like 8 hours...not a biggie since i KNEW it was on the next flight and i was staying in an airport hotel, not going to get on a boat or anything......and they gave me 50 bucks for necessties and a nice travel kit with toiletries and such.......

{not saying that to scare you at all......just know that they are really not you-know-whats!}

Oh you gave me such a good giggle Megr, I'm not too crazy about it either...it's kinda depressing. I wish it were more like Tampa, that was beautiful.

Waving "Hi" to you as I will be on this cruise with you :) I book my air as soon as possible when they open the reservations. I look at current prices and in some cases what I've paid in the past and when I see a price that fits within what I'm willing to spend I book it. My options for flying into FLL are limited unless I drive 2 hours to another airport where Southwest becomes an option for us. Southwest based on our past experience with them is my airline of choice for this trip so I would gladly drive the extra distance. Just to get an idea of what "current" prices are for same date travel this year (I adjusted the days to reflect the same travel days next year) Southwest is offering round trip flights with schedules that I would book in a heartbeat for $597 total for both of us together. IMO that's one heck of a deal and I'd be booking it right now if it were available for next year.

Hey Crazed! I have peeked at the same time frame for next month too. It's giving me a good base to work with. Last year with United, I paid $159 I'm pretty sure. What a difference! I'd like to keep it somewhere in the $250 or lower range with all taxes and fees if possible.

Airfarewatchdog dot com is a site that will track current flight prices for you for any particular market you may wish -- ie ORD-FLL, ORD-MIA, etc. They will send you regular emails about the best fares in each market you sign up for, including Southwest and AirTran fares. This way, you can easily monitor what the best available fares are over time and you will have a better idea of what is a good fare and what is not when the fares for your travel dates actually become available.

David

If you fly into Miami, you can get a one way car rental. Depending on time/date etc, you may find one as low as $20 plus gas.

At the automobile drop off point in Lauderdale, they have a free shuttle to the port.

If flying in the day before (highly recommended) the car acts as your hotel shuttle, cruise shuttle, and local transportation to dinner etc.

Don't drive? Find someone on your Roll call board who does and make a deal.

This idea works for flying into any South Florida airport, so you can add West Palm Beach airport to your search for a good rate.

Good Luck

Paul

Archived