Your first cruise ship

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You never know what is bothering the cabin stewards.  I had a beautiful Philippine stewardess who was cleaning our bathroom, on board the Celebrity Century, when I walked in on her.  She had tears in her eyes.  I asked her what was wrong and she just shrugged. I was very impressed with the work she had done in our cabin all week so I took her by the hand and sat her down and then told her I wanted to hear about her problem.  She told me the head housekeeper was giving her a hard time.  After I asked her a few more questions she admitted the work was hard (she was in charge of cleaning both penthouse suites onboard Century) and that she was missing her son back in Manila.  After she had a good cry and a chat and she told me she felt better..  It was the second to last day and they had handed out envelopes for tips.  I gave her an envelope marked for the head housekeeper with $20.00 and told her to take this to her.  That must have smoothed things over. The next day I saw her and she smiled and told me all was well.  Sometimes people under pressure need to unload.  

What an incredibly lovely thing to do!  I always feel better when I  'tell my troubles' to someone who cares.  Few people will slow down enough to soothe a distraught cabin steward.  Well done!

• Like 1

My first time on a ship was when ocean liners weren't a vacation, they were a necessity. In 1933 we took the SS Monterey from California to Honolulu. Three of my four grandparents had been born in the Territory of Hawaii and two of the four still lived there.

That 1933 trip the first of many on Matson Lines for the next 30 years. I didn't fly to Hawaii until 1959. My last ocean voyage to Hawaii (in the old era) was on the President Roosevelt in 1969 or 1970.

I wouldn't sail to Hawaii again until 2009 or so, when we took a HAL roundtrip from San Diego.

We've done the Princess LA roundtrip three times now with a fourth upcoming in about 50 days.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 93yearsyoung said:

My first time on a ship was when ocean liners weren't a vacation, they were a necessity. In 1933 we took the SS Monterey from California to Honolulu. Three of my four grandparents had been born in the Territory of Hawaii and two of the four still lived there.

That 1933 trip the first of many on Matson Lines for the next 30 years. I didn't fly to Hawaii until 1959. My last ocean voyage to Hawaii (in the old era) was on the President Roosevelt in 1969 or 1970.

I wouldn't sail to Hawaii again until 2009 or so, when we took a HAL roundtrip from San Diego.

We've done the Princess LA roundtrip three times now with a fourth upcoming in about 50 days.

I love to hear those stories of real ocean liner travel.  Do you remember anything about the 1933 voyage?  As the old vaudeville comedian, Ed Wynn, used to say…”If you are going to Europe make sure you don’t miss the boat ride”.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I love to hear those stories of real ocean liner travel.  Do you remember anything about the 1933 voyage?  As the old vaudeville comedian, Ed Wynn, used to say…”If you are going to Europe make sure you don’t miss the boat ride”.  

I was 3 1/2 or so, maybe 4. I remember having to get dressed in my best clothes every night for dinner. And I remember the pool. My biggest memory was the arrival in Honolulu. There was a big crowd there, a band was playing and everyone seemed as happy as can be so I was happy too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I always feel better when I  'tell my troubles' to someone who cares.  Few people will slow down enough to soothe a distraught cabin steward. 

On my world cruise, my cabin steward was only on his second contract, had a pregnant wife at home who having enough issues that her doctor recommended that he come home.  For whatever reason, his supervisors were unsympathetic to him and would not allow him to leave before the end of his contract.  I had developed a friendly relationship with him and we would sometimes discuss his difficulty.  A couple of days before we arrived in Singapore, he confided in me (please don't tell the "white coats", he asked) that he was going "to jump ship" in Singapore.  I pointed out to him what that would mean to the possibility of ever being employed on a cruise ship again.  He understood, but, he was desperate to get to his wife.  He did jump ship and I have wondered how his family and he have fared.  I have since wondered since then if I should have said something to one of his supervisors.

Edited by rkacruiser

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On my world cruise, my cabin steward was only on his second contract, had a pregnant wife at home who having enough issues that her doctor recommended that he come home.  For whatever reason, his supervisors were unsympathetic to him and would not allow him to leave before the end of his contract.  I had developed a friendly relationship with him and we would sometimes discuss his difficulty.  A couple of days before we arrived in Singapore, he confided in me (please don't tell the "white coats", he asked) that he was going "to jump ship" in Singapore.  I pointed out to him what that would mean to the possibility of ever being employed on a cruise ship again.  He understood, but, he was desperate to get to his wife.  He did jump ship and I have wondered how his family and he have fared.  I have since wondered since then if I should have said something to one of his supervisors.

I think you can rest assured that you were right in not reporting this unhappy steward.  It's one thing to be a good listener with sympathy and empathy, but a pax should never meddle with a crew member's  personal business.  The steward showed very bad judgement in confiding his imminent departure to a pax.  Housekeeping supervisors undoubtedly have vast experience with situations like this.  Doesn't mean that you cannot assist with good advice or even a gift of money to make life easier for this poor guy. 

Edited by jsn55
clarity
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I think you can rest assured that you were right in not reporting this unhappy steward.  It's one thing to be a good listener with sympathy and empathy, but a pax should never meddle with a crew member's  personal business.  The steward showed very bad judgement in confiding his imminent departure to a pax.  Housekeeping supervisors undoubtedly have vast experience with situations like this.  Doesn't mean that you cannot assist with good advice or even a gift of money to make life easier for this poor guy. 

He did receive a tip from me, but, all of my stewards did when we were in Singapore.  Singapore was the end of a segment and I prefer to give gratuities to all of my stewards at the end of each segment during a long cruise.

He was a mixed up fellow.  I think his supervisors were unhappy with his work; there was one frequently in the corridor when he was working.  He wasn't thinking clearly either.  Tried to leave the ship with a piece of luggage which drew the attention of security.  Did not have his passport or seaman's card, if he could have made it off the ship, he would have trouble leaving Singapore to get to Indonesia.  

His replacement was a cabin steward that had been working in the Officers' cabins.  He was also a young man, but, the service I received was better.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on Navigator of the Seas, September 2005, for our 25th Anniversary.  Still remember how in awe we were of the ship when we first saw it docked in Miami. 17 years later we celebrate our 42nd Anniversary  on Anthem of the Seas in 3 weeks.  Can’t wait.... 😎

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

We started cruising late. Our first cruise was on Holland America's Oosterdam.  Our daughter was 12.  That would put it 2004.  We cruised to Alaska.  It was amazing. We felt pampered, ever though we were in just a balcony cabin. No special perks packages like there is now. We did eat at their specialty restaurant (a steak house) which was great.  Remember an elderly gentleman coming up to us asking if we tried the Barramundi then kept telling us "Ya gotta try the Barramundi"  It is still a long running joke for us.
The daughter and I won at bingo (she played and I collected the money). We had fantastic shore excursions.  The main dining room's food was fantastic. It was assigned seating and they got to  know us.  My daughter's love of cherries amused the waiter and he always put her favorite soda along with 6 cherries out waiting for her (and he taught her to tie a cherry stem without her hands - lol).  One night, it was lobster tails and steak - she ate 6 lobster tails..... 
Still trying to chase the awe of that 1st cruise.  Never likely to find that sparkle again but will keep searching.  Mega ships definitely do not have it for us - too many people.
Sailing on the NCL Dawn (about the same size as the Oosterdam) in just a couple weeks.  Hoping to come close.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, krittykat said:

Still trying to chase the awe of that 1st cruise.  Never likely to find that sparkle again but will keep searching. 

2 hours ago, krittykat said:

One night, it was lobster tails and steak - she ate 6 lobster tails..... 

One's first cruise is similar to one's first love.  There will never be one quite like that again.  But, there will be cruises that have their own sparkle that will make them standouts in their own way.  Happy Cruising!  

Your daughter ate 6 Lobster Tails!  I remember my tummy's capacity at that age.  Restaurants that offered buffets had to have hated to see my Brother and I come through their doors.  

• Like 5

On 9/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, krittykat said:

We started cruising late. Our first cruise was on Holland America's Oosterdam.  Our daughter was 12.  That would put it 2004.  We cruised to Alaska.  It was amazing. We felt pampered, ever though we were in just a balcony cabin. No special perks packages like there is now. We did eat at their specialty restaurant (a steak house) which was great.  Remember an elderly gentleman coming up to us asking if we tried the Barramundi then kept telling us "Ya gotta try the Barramundi"  It is still a long running joke for us.
The daughter and I won at bingo (she played and I collected the money). We had fantastic shore excursions.  The main dining room's food was fantastic. It was assigned seating and they got to  know us.  My daughter's love of cherries amused the waiter and he always put her favorite soda along with 6 cherries out waiting for her (and he taught her to tie a cherry stem without her hands - lol).  One night, it was lobster tails and steak - she ate 6 lobster tails..... 
Still trying to chase the awe of that 1st cruise.  Never likely to find that sparkle again but will keep searching.  Mega ships definitely do not have it for us - too many people.
Sailing on the NCL Dawn (about the same size as the Oosterdam) in just a couple weeks.  Hoping to come close.

Six lobster tails!  30 years ago we cruised with my little brother and wife.  They hadn't ever been anywhere.  We had a late lunch on the ship one day and he had a Reuben sandwich.  I had one too and it was beyond delicious.  So we were swooning about that as the waiter came by and told us we should have another.  My little brother thought that was just amazing, and he gobbled up the second one.  Suffice to say, by the time he was done with his FIFTH Reuben sandwich, most of the DR staff had drifted over to cheer him on. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

My little brother thought that was just amazing, and he gobbled up the second one.  Suffice to say, by the time he was done with his FIFTH Reuben sandwich, most of the DR staff had drifted over to cheer him on. 

Hope you weren't sharing his cabin😁🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Won a cruise on Carnival Celebration in 1996 after filling out a local drug store ticket. i told my wife "no way", "bring your sister" "try reselling it" but finally was suckered in boarding the ship for a San Juan, St Thomas and St Martin itinerary. Leaving the cold and snow behind us in this North Eastern Canadian community had surely some reasoning behind my decision to cave in to participate in this experience. First time on a plane, first time in Florida and first time on a cruise ship. To be honest i was not aware at that time that cruises for the ordinary off the street Joe(Jane) was even  possible or a reality. 

Travel agents were not to nervous. We boarded the plane in Quebec city, appropriately 200 miles from our house on a Saturday morning, and boarded Celebration that afternoon. Enough clothes for a hockey team in our 500 pounds of luggage. Hot and humid in Fort Lauderdale in our long sleeves, pants and facial expressions. What did i get into now.... Finally on board, to our assigned porthole cabin, change in proper attire and out on deck to get a souvenir glass with a refreshing cocktail with the boat rocking to Kool and the Gangs popular song. 

We have been hooked ever since.... Boarding Reflection in one week.

Though i do not participate much in sharing on these boards , i would like to thank Cruise Critics for being the top cruise vacation information source, bar none.

Edited by denys222
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

My first cruise was aboard Matson Mariposa in 1961 when I was 10. It was a six-week South Pacific cruise from Los Angeles calling at Papeete, Auckland, Sydney, Auckland, Suva, Pago Pago, Honolulu, and San Francisco. We celebrated Christmas and New Year aboard. There were many sea days and a "Crossing the Line" ceremony when King Neptune came aboard! The photo is of my mother and I at the muster drill.

2634544941_bfb910be2f_o.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2008 at 8:06 PM, Copper10-8 said:

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/thumbs/rw/36607_800/Ship+Photo+VIKING+SERENADE.jpg

Viking Serenade (still sailing today as Island Escape)

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/thumbs/rw/574798_800/Ship+Photo+ISLAND+ESCAPE.jpg

Cunard Ambassador,1973 NYC to Bermuda

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Cunard Ambassador,1973 NYC to Bermuda

Unlucky ship; caught fire three times during her career. After the third time, she was sold for scrap and towed to Kaohsiung, Taiwan where she was reduced to razor blades in 1984

Cunard Line (UK) - Cunard Ambassador (scrapped Kaohsiung, Taiwan 1984).jpg

On 9/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, ahl said:

My first cruise was aboard Matson Mariposa in 1961 when I was 10. It was a six-week South Pacific cruise from Los Angeles calling at Papeete, Auckland, Sydney, Auckland, Suva, Pago Pago, Honolulu, and San Francisco. We celebrated Christmas and New Year aboard. There were many sea days and a "Crossing the Line" ceremony when King Neptune came aboard! The photo is of my mother and I at the muster drill.

2634544941_bfb910be2f_o.JPG

Matson Line (U.S.A. - Defunct as passenger line) - Mariposa (2) (scrapped Alang, India 1996).jpg

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, denys222 said:

Won a cruise on Carnival Celebration in 1996 after filling out a local drug store ticket. i told my wife "no way", "bring your sister" "try reselling it" but finally was suckered in boarding the ship for a San Juan, St Thomas and St Martin itinerary. Leaving the cold and snow behind us in this North Eastern Canadian community had surely some reasoning behind my decision to cave in to participate in this experience. First time on a plane, first time in Florida and first time on a cruise ship. To be honest i was not aware at that time that cruises for the ordinary off the street Joe(Jane) was even  possible or a reality. 

Travel agents were not to nervous. We boarded the plane in Quebec city, appropriately 200 miles from our house on a Saturday morning, and boarded Celebration that afternoon. Enough clothes for a hockey team in our 500 pounds of luggage. Hot and humid in Fort Lauderdale in our long sleeves, pants and facial expressions. What did i get into now.... Finally on board, to our assigned porthole cabin, change in proper attire and out on deck to get a souvenir glass with a refreshing cocktail with the boat rocking to Kool and the Gangs popular song. 

We have been hooked ever since.... Boarding Reflection in one week.

Though i do not participate much in sharing on these boards , i would like to thank Cruise Critics for being the top cruise vacation information source, bar none.

Carnival Cruise Line - Carnival Celebration (scrapped Alang, India 2021).jpg

• Like 1