Take-a-long nurse

terkatz56

There are handicapped folk who have to travel with a full time caregiver....I know one person who is a member of this forum who must take two caregivers along. They all share a cabin. I would think that unless the 'patient' is half of a couple, you would be sharing his/her cabin. EM

What about licensure? I'm a nurse, but can only practice in my state unless I get a license from another state. Not sure how you would handle being licensed on the high seas or other countries. Sounds like alot of bother. Like the poster above said, the ship has a doctor and nurses onboard.

Thanks for the input, I was wondering about the legal ramifications and will be checking into this. I am aware of the medical staff on board but would figure that some people would need assistance in other ways, not always being skilled care. By no means am I looking for a free ride but love what I do and would enjoy helping someone who may not be able to entirely fend for themselves enjoy cruising also. Thank you Sundagger for the link!

I got a call about 5 years ago, was asked if I would be interested in traveling with a man who needed meds administered and just general maintenance. I'm an RN lic in California. To tell you the truth I wasn't interested in traveling in those close quarters.

I actually think there may be a call for this service. You know, lay people (family) are doing more and more at home. The only thing I would be concerned with would be finding out IF your license could be on the line.

good luck, Chuck

There was an elderly gentleman on our last cruise who was traveling with a young man who appeared to be an attendant. He pushed him around the ship in his wheelchair, helped him at meals, etc. Don't know what their arrangement was (i.e., whether he was permanently employed or just engaged for the trip), but it was obvious the older gent couldn't have done the cruise without him.

As an RN I don't feel that most people would require the skills of a nurse to cruise. If someone really needs skilled nursing, they are probably too ill to cruise. I can see an attendant, but not a nurses skills. That being said, one of my co-workers who was also a pilot, was hired to travel with an elderly executive on his private jet. He worked as a pilot and was there in case of a medical emergency. He got to use his skills in many ways with this job! It would be intersesting to look at if you would even have to worry about your license in the example of accompanying on a cruise. If you are not providing nursing care, only attendant care, you would just be a nurse who happens to be accompanying someone on a cruise. I think it would depend on how you marketed this idea.

Archived