Weight Limit?

dleighb

All right, I've been searching back through old threads, and I have seen several mention of packing light to avoid a weight limit. I've searched the HAL website and can find no mention of a weight limit. Is this a cruise limit or the air limit? I'm hoping it is air because we're driving to the port because I'm afraid of how much our luggage will weigh for a 10 day cruise.

Speaking of which, do ladies wear a different dress for each of the formal nights? If so, than I better get shopping or see if my brother's fiance will let me wear my bridesmaid's dress for the wedding before the wedding.

If you want to be kind to the porters that have to stack your bags in the loading bins I suggest you keep each bag 50 lbs or under. But, since you're driving, there's no limit on how many bags you can take.

Few ladies will wear totally different outfits each formal night. Most use some some mix-and-match technique, with different accessories. Especially now that airlines are charging for heavily for 2nd bags.

If you want to be kind to the porters that have to stack your bags in the loading bins I suggest you keep each bag 50 lbs or under. But, since you're driving, there's no limit on how many bags you can take.

Few ladies will wear totally different outfits each formal night. Most use some some mix-and-match technique, with different accessories. Especially now that airlines are charging for heavily for 2nd bags.

Keep in mind that one CAN bring bags heavier than 50 lbs ... one just has to be willing to pay for it. Likewise for the 2nd bag ... unless one is an Elite member of an Airline, in which case one usually gets the extra bag for free.

Since the OP said that she is driving to the port, I don't think airline luggage limits are an issue.

Holland America does not provide any guidance for a weight limit. Here is what the website says ...

Baggage Allowance

Airlines, limousines and other transfer vehicles have luggage allowance policies which may limit the amount and/or weight of luggage you may take with you and/or impose excess luggage charges. You are responsible for complying with the policies. Please keep this in mind when packing.

Traveler advisory - Baggage fees and other charges may be directly assessed by airlines or airports. Once you are notified of your flight details, please contact your airline.

Here is a link ... http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action

All right, I've been searching back through old threads, and I have seen several mention of packing light to avoid a weight limit. I've searched the HAL website and can find no mention of a weight limit. Is this a cruise limit or the air limit? I'm hoping it is air because we're driving to the port because I'm afraid of how much our luggage will weigh for a 10 day cruise.

Speaking of which, do ladies wear a different dress for each of the formal nights? If so, than I better get shopping or see if my brother's fiance will let me wear my bridesmaid's dress for the wedding before the wedding.

The weight limit is for the airlines only.

Since you are driving -- you can take as much as you want.

On a 10 day cruise there is usually 3 formal nights. I have 2 black skirts -- one floor length and 1 3/4 length. And several different tops. Makes for easy packing.

Many women will be wearing black. It is easy to accessorize with that color and combine outfits. Also by avoiding an outfit that attracts attention-Hot pink with ostrich feathers for example (joke) no one will notice that you have on a repeat outfit.:)

Thanks, everyone! There was a debate in the group whether we wanted to fly or drive and with the cost of airlines now and four of us, it just seemed easier to drive. Also, as much as possible, I'm boycotting the airlines new method of nickel and diming passengers. Just give me one price and let that be it. If you have to raise it because of the cost of fuel, fine. I used to love flying, but now I truly hate it.

Regardless, I am still trying to find mix and match options for the cruise to try and limit my luggage. We still have to get the luggage for four of us in a Tahoe for two days. I will be nice and keep my bags to under 50 pounds. Although give me a push cart, and I really am quite capable of getting all my stuff to the cabin on my own. I know they don't do that though.

But I LOVE my hot pink with feathers outfit. And my lime green outfit too! Just kidding, but for a three day cruise I take two formals. And also consider the "all you can stuff in a bag" laundry option. That way you don't have to take as many everyday, run around the ship/port cloths.

But I LOVE my hot pink with feathers outfit. And my lime green outfit too! Just kidding, but for a three day cruise I take two formals. And also consider the "all you can stuff in a bag" laundry option. That way you don't have to take as many everyday, run around the ship/port cloths.

AND mixing and matching the green with the hot pink is stunning too.

We were surprised to learn a limo company we used in New York had a luggage limit. When we booked, they wanted to know number of bags and put a limit on what we could take...... it was not a matter of space, it was how many. We were allowed three (plus airline size carryons). Could be three 30" bags or three 23" bags but only three.

So, it isn't only the airlines.

We were surprised to learn a limo company we used in New York had a luggage limit. When we booked, they wanted to know number of bags and put a limit on what we could take...... it was not a matter of space, it was how many. We were allowed three (plus airline size carryons). Could be three 30" bags or three 23" bags but only three.

So, it isn't only the airlines.

I'm sure that if a couple show up at the dock with an eighteen wheeler full of luggage that HAL will quickly set a luggage limit. FYI, many cruise lines set a limit of 200 pounds.

Airlines have a weight and quantity limit

Holland America does not have a weight or a quantity limit (Thank God).

We drive to the port whenever possible.

Luggage on one of the cruises where we drove to the port.

Ruth & Jim

IMG_1124.jpg.0a81f01cdde3f62dedc26c27a0077c00.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg.cda7ec22bd296d2ba3d3e6a5851319e1.jpg

When I saw the title of this post I thought maybe it had something to do with eating too much bread pudding. :D

Roz

I was thinking along those lines, too, but I thought it might have something to do with tendering. Kind of like the signs at amusement parks where little kids have to be as tall as some part of that sign in order to go on certain rides -- only this time with a scale to determine whether or not you can board the tender!

DH and I took Amtrak this summer from New Orleans to Chicago to Minneapolis and checked our big suitcase. When we went to check it on the return in Minneapolis, it weighed 55 pounds and they had a 50 pound limit. I asked how much the overage cost and they said we had to remove 5 pounds! It was in consideration of the luggage handlers. Fortunately, we had backpacks we could put the 5 pounds of stuff in, mostly books. The suitcase must have made the 50 pound limit on the trip north, but we had added some things along the way.

Ruth & Jim

Jim/Ruth, please tell me that was at least a 35 day trip, or, that much of it was wine and soda! I thought I packed heavy! What is all that stuff???

Ruth & Jim

I don't know why you popped into my head when one of the posters said and 18 wheeler full of lugguge:D :D .

Since you are driving, bring as much as you like!

DSC00104.jpg

That packing was for a 7 day cruise...

Yes we are the slipper people...

Ruth does not know the definintion of too much luggage....

It was a later cruise that I maked a box "Kitchen Sink" Could not resist that. That was the trip when we took a lot down to a achool in Guatamala and had about 20 boxes....

On November 16 we leave on the Veendam for Guatamala again and have aboult a dozen suitcases and 50+ boxes of computers, supplies, medical supplies for Guatamala charities... Captain of Veendam has already approved me bringing this much on board....

That should be the largest passanger load every unless it was one ov the Vanderbuilts....

Ruth & Jim

Oh, good grief. My question is much more mundane after learning of taking things to kids in Guatemala! Nevertheless...........in December we will be taking a domestic flight, followed by an international. The int. airline allows 2 pieces of checked baggage, and the dom. only 1. Do you know if, since it's a through flight, the dom. will allow 2 pieces each?

Depends on the airlines.

We flew from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando when returned from Eurodam last month and SOuthwest allowed 2 checked bags and 1 carryon per person plus a laptop or purse per person.

1st extra bag was $25.00

2nd + extra bags were $50.00 each

After 10 extra bags they give you a crying towel and a sympathy card. Trust me I know.

Ruth was very good about it. She only said "SHUT UP AND PAY THE BILL." I was very polite all I said was "YES DEAR." and paid the bill.

Ruth & Jim

Archived