Silver Spirit maiden

CASHIPman

Latest news from Silversea on the Spirit on Twitter, rcvd 3 hours ago today:

SilverseaSilver Spirit departs Ancona 28Aug on first set of sea trials, sailing to Trieste for 1-week dry dock before embarking on final sea trials.

about 3 hours ago from web

Thank you kindly for the news. Today is the 27th, it is close to 28th in Europe! So the final sea trial will start early September, you mean it will take three and a half months of sea trial before they take on paying customers? Of course, a lot of "interior work" will continue to be done during sea trial (despite cabin prefabrication), presumably.

I am very glad they are doing a number of trials.

I just paid in full today, so now I just have the air and hotel to work on.

NJBelle, thanks for the info on NYE. Good to know others are going and also that we can wear what we want.

I am glad to be seeing places we have not been (none of these ports are repeat for us) but do wish there were more sea days. We will do the shorter excursions, anyway, I imagine, at least on some of them.

I went ahead and booked air today, arriving in Barcelona on 12/22 at 9 a.m., so we have a full day there. Coming back from Lisbon, I booked a 10:25 a.m. flight since Lisbon is an overnight. I know others have done this on other cruises. I would rather not have, but this is the only flight possible to get back without overnighting somewhere in Europe. This is going to make the day pretty hectic.

Just read that the Avid Cruiser will provide live Spirit reports...Ralph Grizzle will be the Silversea Cruises’ new Silver Spirit for its sea trials from Trieste, Italy to Ancona, Italy from 5-8 September.

For those going on Barcelona to Lisbon, have any booked tours, or are you getting guides?

I have booked tours in every port for a number of reasons. I found what I liked, for one, doing food, wine, and sightseeing. In Morocco, I signed up for the cooking thing for myself and put my husband on some other tour, as he has not been happy when I put him on cooking tours in the past and did not want to do this one. I have had some things like this canceled on SS in the past, so I will be disappointed if they don't do it. My entire experience with Moroccan food is Epcot to my best recollection, lol, so I really want to do this tour.

What is anyone doing for transfers from the airport?

Debbie, as u know we are on the Spirit crossing after your maiden voyage, as for our booked excursions--we do have a full day private tour in Lisbon for 2 Jan; we booked one of SS's excursions in Tenerife (u already can reserve on my voyage), we booked a private segway tour in Antigua, and we have booked a private fulll day tour in St. Maartin. Gave serious thought to scuba diving in Las Palmas, Antigua, & St. Barts but the diving is not very good in these islands so decided to forgo diving if Ida forgoes shopping..kidding.

For our transfer (airport to hotel) we are using a taxi from the information desk

at the airport, ensuring we get a metered taxi...check this thread out if u are

considering a taxi from the pier to the airport (cost should be between 15-20 Euro)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=212740&highlight=lisbon

In Lisbon, we are doing a 10:25 a.m. flight since it is an overnight for SS in Lisbon anyway and we are doing the river cruise there that I wanted to do. We will have to go early, so I am not sure about not having something reserved in advance, though I am sure the concierge could help, especially arriving a day early. As a rule, you know we never get off before the last call, but this is the only way to still get home on January 3, which is important for Todd. Alternative was to overnight in Paris or somewhere.

I am mostly worried about Barcelona, but with this early departure in Lisbon, I will arrange something.

Good morning!

Dan! I hope I am allowed to make this recommendation.

If I could recommend a limo service in Lisbon. I used a company called

Alliance4Drive. Our driver was Sergio. Highly recommended.

sfreitas@alliance4drive.com

We also reserved their service for a 1/2 day tour of Lisbon, unfortunately I was sick and had to cancel. Sergios office didn't charge us a cent and also called later to see how I was feeling. This was above and beyond our expectations.

Also, if I can recommend a restaurant. Try "Eleven" Trendy, great views of park, great food and service.

Regards,

ScottToronto

Since that issue has come up, we have used http://www.toursforyou.pt in Lisbon. They have great vehicles and very knowledgeable driver guides. Their prices are competetive. About the only day for a tour might be 2 Jan, since everything will be pretty much shut down on New Years day. Also keep in mind that chances of rain in Lisbon at that time are high. Would not recommend going to Sintra in the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Silversea today to find out if they were still taking a waitlist for 12/23, and they have two waitlists for vista, verandah and midship verandah. The first is a priority list for $500 deposit, and the second is just to put your name down and see if anything clears. Todd's parents are very interested in a trip to Barcelona, so I thought it was worth investigation.

Just talked to friends in NC who switched from Regent to SS in 2008 when we did( along with many more ) because of the change in smoking policy on Regent. Their entire group of 12 are booked for the 91 day South America cruise beginning 21 Jan. They said the ship is fully booked. Don't know if that's for the entire 91 days, but it appears that Spirit bookings are going very well, since the maiden, T/A and SA seem to have no room at the inn. We think it's going to be a great ship for SS.

I asked Silversea if there were going to be any special events/commemorations on either the maiden voyage (BCN-LIS) or the maiden transatlantic. Here's the disappointing reply:

Thank you for your e-mail! It is our understanding that there will be no special events for the sailing of the new ship until the Grand Voyage starts on Jan. 21...when they will have the naming cermony and gala for the Grand Voyage guests. Since your voyage is over Christmas and New Year's there will be festive activities and dinners to celebrate the holidays.

Seems a shame to waste the opportunity. I can remember the launch of the QM2 and pretty much every voyage for the first 6 months had something special about them.

What you were told was what I thought in my own mind, but I hope at least we are all acknowledged. I mean, really, we are the first customers to walk on the ship. We will be first everything whether they like it or not, and we are the ones helping them get the bugs out and paying big prices while the other ships are all on sale.

I do hope we have a great set of holidays. I know on Regent last year, they didn't want to decorate too early so they wouldn't offend anyone. Even in Dubai, they decorated for Christmas the first week of December the year before, and they weren't worried about offending anyone. SS was. Crazy. Why book a holiday cruise if you are offended by one.

Why book a holiday cruise if you are offended by one.
I agree. On our pre-Christmas Panama voyage in 2007, there were quite a few chocolate sculptures and other decorations made ready for the following Christmas voyage, on which "duct tape", who stayed on back-to-back enjoyed. People who choose those voyages celebrate festivals. Wouldn't it be ironic if someone chooses a Caribbean voyage and object to seeing people swimming?

Just published blog.

‘Spirited’ Competitor In The Luxury Sector

Sep 19, 2009 03:26 am | ralph.grizzle@gmail.com (Ralph Grizzle)

Silver Spirit

For those who follow such developments, Silversea’s newest vessel begs the question: How will it compare to the other luxury launch of the year, Seabourn Odyssey?

The short answer is “favorably.” For the explanation, read on.

I’ve been on both vessels in the past couple of months, cruising in late July for seven days on Odyssey from Athens to Venice. My accommodation: Veranda Suite 622, measuring 365 square feet with the 65-square-foot veranda included in that measurement.

Weekend before last, I boarded Silver Spirit for its sea trials from Trieste to Ancona (both in Italy). In the almost-bare Veranda Suite 725, I slept on a cot with a thin blanket. The carpet was covered with plastic; the balcony doors were covered with paper. There were no chairs, tables, no mini-bar, no luxury amenities: In place of Bvlgari soap was a man-sized bar of Palmolive and a bottle of supermarket brand shampoo. With Silversea’s executive team and the two captains, I dined alongside shipyard workers: pizza for breakfast, pasta for lunch. Think “Camp Silver Spirit.”

The sea trials were cut short due to a faulty bearing. Despite that hiccup, two days on board was enough to show that Spirit will give Odyssey some “spirited” competition.

Spirit’s Slightly Larger Suites

For starters, Spirit is the larger vessel, carrying 540 guests, compared to Odyssey’s 450. Spirit’s Veranda Suites also are a tad larger than the comparable category suite on Odyssey. On Spirit, the Veranda Suite measures 375 square feet with a 65-square-foot veranda, giving Spirit 11 square feet more interior living space than Odyssey.

Spirit’s Veranda Suites also feature, not one, but two 26-inch, flat-panel televisions (one in the bedroom area, the other in the living area) with more than 400 movies available free of charge. The bedroom television will hide behind a mirror when not in use, a nice touch.

By contrast, Odyssey’s televisions were small for the room, 21 inches being my best estimate, with tinny sound.

With the introduction of Spirit, and extending fleetwide, Silversea will offer new services, including an expanded pillow menu featuring a selection of nine pillows. Also new: “luggage freshening.” Guest luggage will be washed and wrapped in a ribbon, clean for the ride home.

Six Dining Venues

The larger Spirit features six restaurants compared to Odyssey’s four. Two of Silver Spirit’s restaurants are reservations-only.

Spirit will introduce Seishin, an Asian fusion restaurant, where the signature item will be Kobe beef, served with sushi, sashimi, exotic sakes (the rice wine), and more. Pricing has not yet been established for the reservations-only restaurant, but it will likely be in line with Le Champagne, at $200 per person.

Silversea execs are aware of Odyssey’s frustrating reservations procedure with regard to dining, and they vow to avoid the frustrations, though how they intend to do so is not yet clear. Execs on the Spirit sea trials say they plan to bring the reservations process online, but no firm timeline was given.

On my Odyssey sailing, guests could reserve at specialty restaurants 48 hours in advance -beginning at 7:30 p.m., and only by phone. Imagine the switchboard. Lines were busy on several nights when I dialed.

Nonetheless, Odyssey’s restaurants are stunning, and its main restaurant is exceptionally attractive, with flowing sheer curtains that serve as separators to create cozy areas, reminiscent of South Beach’s Delano Hotel. Odyssey’s main restaurant also features a couple of attractive high tables for those who prefer a more casual dining experience in the formal dining room.

South Beach/Palm Beach Meets Old World/New World

If Odyssey is a bit like South Beach meets Palm Beach (as Seabourn strives to appeal to both young and mature guests) Spirit is a bit more Old World meets New World. Service and cuisine will be in the European style, with a twist that the line hopes will please its largest passenger demographic, North Americans.

With its reception area, Spirit has matched Seabourn Square (Odyssey’s library/internet cafe/coffee shop/purser’s desk/shore excursions and attractive public room), by integrating a bar and dining area for light snacks.

Of course, it should be pointed out that I was unable to experience Spirit’s delivery of service, as the only personnel on board were Silversea execs and shipyard workers. Odyssey’s service was, as you might expect, at a high standard. Therefore it remains to be seen which of the new ships delivers the all-important “software” component, that is, the staff attitudes, attentiveness and professionalism.

Clearly, both Odyssey and Spirit are top contenders in a segment where the differences between ships and service is as thin as a razor’s edge. Spirit’s six restaurants, slightly larger staterooms, larger televisions, and additional pampering (i.e., luggage freshening) can indeed make a difference to discerning clients. The innovation and improvements taking place on both ships, however, are ratcheting up the proverbial bar, and for connoisseurs of luxury, ’spirited’ competition can only be a a good thing.

comments | read more

Share this e-mail on Twitter Facebook Digg

You are receiving this e-mail because you opted in at http://www.avidcruiser.com

Unsubscribe dxwelsh@gmail.com from this list | Forward to a friend | Update your profile

Our mailing address is:

Avid Travel Media Inc

PO Box 17577

Asheville, NC 28816

Add us to your address book

Copyright © 2009 Avid Travel Media Inc All rights reserved.

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

Forward

Regarding festivities for the maiden voyage it seems to me that SS is just using the first couple of cruises as a means of getting across the Atlantic for the Grand Tour which they are considering to be their real maiden voyage. Not that those cruises won't be great. I'm sure they will be.

Regarding festivities for the maiden voyage it seems to me that SS is just using the first couple of cruises as a means of getting across the Atlantic for the Grand Tour which they are considering to be their real maiden voyage. Not that those cruises won't be great. I'm sure they will be.

You're probably right but I hope those boarding at Ft. Lauderdale don't think they're getting a virgin! One can only lose that status once...unless you're Blanche Devereaux. :D

I am sure they also wanted to get the $$ for the holiday cruise, and if it was a "shakedown", it should have been priced accordingly. I think there will be plenty for us to feel spectacular about. They are calling all of this the inaugural season.

Think of that first sailaway in Barcelona. We will already have been on the ship a day before we actually sail.

Like I said - many firsts...first to dine in the restaurants, first to sleep in the cabins, first to sail, first Christmas, first New Year's

As Debbie says there is a particular excitement to being the first people to board a new ship. You can all make the maiden voyage as special as you like. Order lots of champagne (and caparhanias sp?) toast the new vessel, dance on the decks yada yada yada.

Archived