Silver Spirit maiden

CASHIPman

Alas, I am booked on Spirit for a Transatlantic crossing from Lisbon, but it is not the Inaugural, so am leaking some envy for all of you.

Hi Charlie

I agree it sounds great so we are going to have to have our own CC party on the crossing in October 2010.

See my countdown clock for how many days we have to wait! Do you think it's too early to post a roll call?:D

Cheers

ging466

Hi Charlie

I agree it sounds great so we are going to have to have our own CC party on the crossing in October 2010.

See my countdown clock for how many days we have to wait! Do you think it's too early to post a roll call?:D

Cheers

ging466

I sort of got the opinion that this cruise was getting booked up, because I did not have a big choice of Veranda Suites. I am a solo, and my supplement for this cruise is only 125% for which I am very thankful to both Silversea and my TA.

I don't think that it is too early. I think you have seen the one which I started for my Nov. 22nd cruise on Shadow.

I sort of got the opinion that this cruise was getting booked up, because I did not have a big choice of Veranda Suites. I am a solo, and my supplement for this cruise is only 125% for which I am very thankful to both Silversea and my TA..
From Silversea's own website, that voyage is still at 60% discount with included air. This hints it is not too full, or else like some of the other voyages, they would have reduced the discount or excluded the airfare. You have got what is "normal" for this voyage at this time, and it is not a special gift of the cruise line or due to your agent's efforts.

Another point of interest, while the single supplement for the verandah is 125%, it is 150% for the vista. This kind of thing only happens on the Spirit (on the other four normal ships, not the PA II, the single supplement for the verandah is always equal or higher than the vista). This is likely because there are only a dozen vistas on the Spirit, many fewer than on any of the other ships.

As we mentioned on this board before, out of the dozen vistas, some will have to be given to the lecturers, the entertainers, and on some sailings to the gentleman hosts, leaving possibly less than the fingers on one hand for regular passengers. It appears that Silversea wants to drive regular passengers to the verandahs, as the price ratio of vista:verandah for the Spirit is 0.9 : 1, intead of the 0.8 : 1 for the other ships. For singles, in this present case, with the supplement, the fare for vista will be 0.9x1.5 = 1.35, which is higher than for a verandah at 1x1.25 = 1.25. So Cechase, you have saved 10% of the regular double occupancy rate by booking a verandah instead of a vista!

Your math is awesome Meow! I consider it to be a good deal as it is the lowest per diem of 8 cruises I have ever paid, and I am also getting $600.00 credit for air. I like to make my own air arrangements.

After reading your post, I checked and you are absolutely right that there are very few vista suites. However, I would not consider a vista suite because I need my balcony and fresh sea air.

We're all set for 1730-1830 on the evening out of Funchal for the cocktail party in our suite. I do have a reguest for all of you who wish to attend. Please backchannel me via e-mail with your names and suite #s. The ship is going to print up invitations for us and they will need the info. Don't know why they can't just go by suite #, but they have requested further info. I just have first names and suite #s for most. Your info will not be shared with anyone else besides SS. If you don't feel comfortable doing this just let me know and Ill give your suite a call the day prior. We're getting close!

We're all set for 1730-1830 on the evening out of Funchal for the cocktail party in our suite. I do have a reguest for all of you who wish to attend. Please backchannel me via e-mail with your names and suite #s. The ship is going to print up invitations for us and they will need the info. Don't know why they can't just go by suite #, but they have requested further info. I just have first names and suite #s for most. Your info will not be shared with anyone else besides SS. If you don't feel comfortable doing this just let me know and Ill give your suite a call the day prior. We're getting close!

DOUGBURNS -

I'd like to "backchannel you" but don't know how.....:o

Let me know and I'll reply promptly. Thanks.

Mary Ann aka Dusababy

Is it just me or does anyone think that the Silver Spirit is a little top heavy and high at the front half of the ship,it does look a little out of balance on the eye.

In the series of photos in the blog, #4 seems perfectly proportioned to me -- in my opinion, some photos are skewed due to viewpoint.

In the series of photos in the blog, #4 seems perfectly proportioned to me -- in my opinion, some photos are skewed due to viewpoint.

No,it doesn't look an elegant design in any photo.I will have to wait until I am onboard to assess.

I like the design of the rear half but the front half just looks like a lot of the mass market larger ships.

I am old fashioned. I think the old RMS Queen Elizabeth was the most beautiful ocean liner afloat. None of today's ships have the style of that grand ship. I think that the larger SS ships (Shadow, Whisper and Spirit) do not have wonderful profiles. However, I spend much more time on the ship than looking at it, and I find the interior decor and layout most attractive. After all is said and done, my heart goes thump every time I see one of the SS ships in port - I'm hooked. Love is blind!

In consideration of the Spirit's balance in water; what is below the waterline is

important as well.

That goes without saying but it is the top line of this particular ship that looks odd.the front half is rather high in comparisson with the much better rear half design which looks elegant.I think the Seabourn Odyssey is a much better looking vessel.

Possibly due to the deliberate design of putting all cabins in front and public areas at the rear, all Silversea ships (except expedition) are taller in front than at the rear. By the looks alone, they appear front heavy, but perhaps because the mechanicals (ship engine, etc.) are towards the rear and they are particularly heavy, this balances out. As we mentioned in a previous thread, the height to width ratio of the Spirit is higher than the previous ships.

As Silversea ships are all "single aisled" (with only two cabins one on each side), to keep the cabin size and shape reasonable, they don't want it too wide. But they want to put more passengers, and the ship's length to width ratio should be between 7:1 and 8:1, (now they are at 642:86 or 7.5 which is ideal), so they choose to increase the height. After all, there are few physical height limitations (other than the London Bridge, which even the Shadow/Whisper exceed). Hopefully, with stabilizers, the esteemed silver suite occupants at the top decks will be roll motion resistant!

I spend much more time on the ship than looking at it, and I find the interior decor and layout most attractive. After all is said and done, my heart goes thump every time I see one of the SS ships in port - I'm hooked. Love is blind!

Emtbsam, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I do agree with Lord though, Odyssey is a more attractive looking ship however it has a lot less suites than the Spirit.

Nevertheless, I'm in love with the Silver Spirit:D

Cheers

ging466

Archived