CC'ers March 6th SJU

ohmiss

Hello All

Yes, it seems we could all meet for a little lunch before boarding our two yachts! We are in....even tho' DH keeps saying "I'm not goin'!!":p There must be a place close to port. I know there is a place in the Sheraton, but who wants to eat in a hotel? Maybe there is a little outdoor cafe somewhere. It is my DH's "Medicare" birthday that day, the 6th. (Don't tell him I said so!!!) How fun for him (and me) to meet such a nice group of people on such a special day!

Cheers!!!!:p

Hello All

Yes, it seems we could all meet for a little lunch before boarding our two yachts! We are in....even tho' DH keeps saying "I'm not goin'!!":p There must be a place close to port. I know there is a place in the Sheraton, but who wants to eat in a hotel? Maybe there is a little outdoor cafe somewhere. It is my DH's "Medicare" birthday that day, the 6th. (Don't tell him I said so!!!) How fun for him (and me) to meet such a nice group of people on such a special day!

There are dozens of restaurants and cafes in Old Town San Jaun. We should have no trouble finding something.

A note to DJ, who I know will read this, could you ask capt T the next time you talk with him for a reccommendation?

Hello All

Thanks for starting this thread ohmiss!

We are definitely up for a pre-boarding CC gathering.

There are dozens of restaurants and cafes in Old Town San Jaun. We should have no trouble finding something.

A note to DJ, who I know will read this, could you ask capt T the next time you talk with him for a reccommendation?

We will check with Capt. T to see if he can has a recommendation an outdoor cafe in the area. FT might get a suggestion from her contact as well.

So far our CC meet includes:

ohmiss and DH

FT and zqvol

DJ and DJ's DH

I posted this suggestion in a different thread --

but what about the terrace restaurant at the Sheraton. I can investigate making arrangements for everyone to have our luggage stored and possibly transported to the ship (just a couple of blocks away). Since ship traffic is light in San Juan that day (according to ZQ Vol who knows all these things) and I have pretty decent SPG status thanks to all the work travel, we could probably work out a very nice arrangement that makes dockside arrival effortless (or my name will be mud).

FT

I posted this suggestion in a different thread --

but what about the terrace restaurant at the Sheraton. I can investigate making arrangements for everyone to have our luggage stored and possibly transported to the ship (just a couple of blocks away). Since ship traffic is light in San Juan that day (according to ZQ Vol who knows all these things) and I have pretty decent SPG status thanks to all the work travel, we could probably work out a very nice arrangement that makes dockside arrival effortless (or my name will be mud).

FT

Sounds like an excellent plan FT:D

I know your travel schedule is nuts the next few weeks but if you could check this out that would be great.

If the two yachts are docked while your're at the Sheraton's terrace restaurant, you'll have a great view of them. Try to get the staff to seat you toward the left of the terrace (as you face the water). The food there is so-so, but the beer & champagne is cold and good. Of course the excitement you all will feel will make food quality a non-issue. :)

I have a picture on my blog that shows SD2 as viewed from our perch at the terrace restaurant. www.myseadream.blogspot.com. Go to the post entitled Embarkation Day Cont'd. Sunday, April 13, 2008 in the Blog Archive on the right.

Assuming you all are able to meet at the Sheraton, you'll have to have someone take your picture & post it here. :-)

If the two yachts are docked while your're at the Sheraton's terrace restaurant, you'll have a great view of them. Try to get the staff to seat you toward the left of the terrace (as you face the water). The food there is so-so, but the beer & champagne is cold and good. Of course the excitement you all will feel will make food quality a non-issue. :)

I have a picture on my blog that shows SD2 as viewed from our perch at the terrace restaurant. www.myseadream.blogspot.com. Go to the post entitled Embarkation Day Cont'd. Sunday, April 13, 2008 in the Blog Archive on the right.

Assuming you all are able to meet at the Sheraton, you'll have to have someone take your picture & post it here. :-)

Thanks Cammiem.

Are you sure that you and DH can't join us:D

FT ... let me know if you want me to follow up with our contact who rejoins the ship on in two weeks or so.

Thanks Cammiem.

FT ... let me know if you want me to follow up with our contact who rejoins the ship on in two weeks or so.

Yes, Cammiem, please join us.

DJ -- If you'd like to follow up with our contact, please don't hesitate, but I will be talking to him next week (don't want to disturb his weekend, I think I'm already being a pest) before I'm leaving on a jet plane.

FT

Yes, Cammiem, please join us.

DJ -- If you'd like to follow up with our contact, please don't hesitate, but I will be talking to him next week (don't want to disturb his weekend, I think I'm already being a pest) before I'm leaving on a jet plane.

FT

Actually I was going to assign this task to DJ's DH since he is the one who has most recently talked to said contact.

I agree about not disturbing on the weekend ... weekends are sacred in our house:p

Just let me know ...

I was going to suggest the Sheraton Terrace too. The cerveza is frio and the salsa flows. Also, if Holland America is in town, you can stare at it while anticipating the little blue boat.

But is the champagne and vino frio?

I may have to move us to the Sheraton (shh don't tell DJ's DH).;)

Actually I was going to assign this task to DJ's DH since he is the one who has most recently talked to said contact.

I agree about not disturbing on the weekend ... weekends are sacred in our house:p

Just let me know ...

But is the champagne and vino frio?

I may have to move us to the Sheraton (shh don't tell DJ's DH).;)

Puerto Rican champagne???? I will have to think about that.

Oh no Jim .. I mean REAL champagne not some swill:D

I can personally vouch that the champagne there is muy frio. :) Technically, we had prosecco while there. As long as it's bubbly, is served in a lovely flute and tastes good, I don't care what it is! :DYou guys should order a bottle or two of prosecco and have a pre-embarkation toast. Then, once you board, you can continue the celebration & toast us poor fools here from a sunbed on deck 6: the best place from which to enjoy San Juan.

One of you should consider claiming your spot early. The place is set up with couches & little tables alongside regular tables & chairs (at least this is how it was a year ago). We had our luggage with us while there, as did several other big-ship cruisers. Even though it's not that easy to see from the street, you don't want to risk having no where to sit.

Caution: don't be tempted to order the subpar mojitos at the outdoor street-level cafe (if you can call it that) at the Sheraton. The mint is sprinkled on from a jar...looked like oregano! Ack! :eek:

Thanks Cammiem.

OMG, I'd so love to join you all!!! However, DH says we have to wait. Something about being financially responsible. :D I knew I should've booked the cruise before we moved. LOL Maybe I can convince him to try the next crossing. Until then, I'll have to relive my blog and wait for one of you to post while onboard. ;)

OMG, I'd so love to join you all!!! However, DH says we have to wait. Something about being financially responsible. :D I knew I should've booked the cruise before we moved. LOL Maybe I can convince him to try the next crossing. Until then, I'll have to relive my blog and wait for one of you to post while onboard. ;)

Fear not I created the blog shell this morning and when it is ready I will post the link.

We had some great margaritas at a chain Mexican place about 100 yards from the dock, in one of those little shopping centers right on the water. We sent our luggage through the screeners and they piled it in the corner with other SD'rs luggage and then we took the 2 minute walk to the Mexican place. The bar is inside and A/C'd, with a view of the harbor. Then wandered over to the pier again at about 1:50 for boarding, which started right at 2pm.

Coming out of "lurkdom" to say that my hubby and I would like to join the get together if we could! We are going to be on the SD1 with another couple and would love to meet some others before boarding! I will check the thread for updates! The cruise is a combo celebration of my husband finishing his residency in June and I will be turning 30 on the 12th!

Nicole

Found the info on the Mexican place:

Tijuana's Bar & Grill

Pier #2, Gilberto Concepcion Ave, Old San Juan, San Juan, PR 00901

Phone: 787-724-7070

(Pier 2 is the ferry terminal, right next to the SD pier)

Hi Ragnar:

We also have eaten here. Not bad.

Coming out of "lurkdom" to say that my hubby and I would like to join the get together if we could! We are going to be on the SD1 with another couple and would love to meet some others before boarding! I will check the thread for updates! The cruise is a combo celebration of my husband finishing his residency in June and I will be turning 30 on the 12th!

Nicole

You are most welcome to join us. Keep watching for info!

You all are great with the plans! I am usually the one in my group planning all the get togethers, so this is great! I REALLY am on vacation! We will be there with champagne or marguerita glasses READY!! So glad to hear another couple from SD I might join us! IT'S A PARTY!!!! Can't wait to meet you all! DH now says "Maybe I'll go!!!!":D

Cheers again!:p

P.S. Cammiem, I so wish you could come!! Love all your pictures...and yes, Lucca was at the Splendido when we were there! That would be another holiday, staying at the Hotel Splendido sipping cocktails at that great pool overlooking the Portofino harbor. Oh yeah! Can't wait to get out of this snow!

Found the info on the Mexican place:

Tijuana's Bar & Grill

Pier #2, Gilberto Concepcion Ave, Old San Juan, San Juan, PR 00901

Phone: 787-724-7070

(Pier 2 is the ferry terminal, right next to the SD pier)

Thanks for the info Ragnar!

Nicole

Glad to see you decided to jump into the SD CC pool Nicole:D

Congrats to you and your DH on finishing up his residency! Ah 30 ... I remember it like yesterday, well actually a few yesterdays ago but not as many yesterdays as for FT:D

You all are great with the plans! I am usually the one in my group planning all the get togethers, so this is great! I REALLY am on vacation! We will be there with champagne or marguerita glasses READY!! So glad to hear another couple from SD I might join us! IT'S A PARTY!!!! Can't wait to meet you all! DH now says "Maybe I'll go!!!!":D

Cheers again!:p

FT and I are known for our organizational skills (although some would call it control freakishness:eek:). It just comes naturally, lol.

So our little roll call includes:

ohmiss and DH - SD1

elocin1203 and DH - SD1

FT and zqvol - SD2

DJ and DJ's DH - SD2

Haven't heard from yet but suspect they will join us:

Mr and Mrs RaySan11 - SD2

Mr and Mrs MarDav - SD2

Mr and Mrs jbctbc - SD2

. . . . . well actually a few yesterdays ago but not as many yesterdays as for FT:D

FT and I are known for our organizational skills (although some would call it control freakishness:eek:). It just comes naturally, lol.

So our little roll call includes:

ohmiss and DH - SD1

elocin1203 and DH - SD1

FT and zqvol - SD2

DJ and DJ's DH - SD2

Haven't heard from yet but suspect they will join us:

Mr and Mrs RaySan11 - SD2

Mr and Mrs MarDav - SD2

Mr and Mrs jbctbc - SD2

DJ . .. . your day will come, or at least you'd better hope so and until then, just remember payback is he _ _ and I always win.

but yes, lets keep the numbers current and if there are any absolute menu hatreds please let me know. I assume as our group grows in number we might be moving more towards a fixed menu, tapas, or buffet as opposed to a la carte, but I'll start the inquiries on Monday and will post updates daily-please check back frequently next week.

FT

Archived