Who can make changes to automatic tips? lowering not increase

Mskerri22

If I'm traveling with my family and my husband uses his cc to pay the sign and sail card charges for all 4 of us in 2 different cabins can I or one of the kids (both over 18) go down to the account desk and make the changes to the automatic tips for all 4 of us or does the credit card account holder have to do this?

What information is needed to make changes to the automatic tips? credit card #, names of people in cabin and cabin number: all 3 or just names and cabin number or what???

Why would you want to lower the tips? I mean, if you were to get horrendous service, then that may be appropriate, but generally, service goes above and beyond to make your trip great!

Is it the tips for the kids that has you worried??

I think either of the adults in the cabin can request to lower the tips. But I think that the best move is to remove them altogether and tip cash. But be aware that when you lower or remove the auto tips, management will be questioning yur stewards/waitstaff, etc. to see why tips were removed. EM

I think either of the adults in the cabin can request to lower the tips. But I think that the best move is to remove them altogether and tip cash. But be aware that when you lower or remove the auto tips, management will be questioning yur stewards/waitstaff, etc. to see why tips were removed. EM

Be aware that if you do remove any/all autotips and hand out cash ... the crew receiving cash tips is bound by contract to turn that money in, and it is then shared by all crew particpating in the autotip pool. So, in the end, the individual you so generously tip in cash actually receives only a small portion of the $$$$$$$.

we'll be on a new cruiseline to the american /caribbean market MSC and its got very bad reviews but we've already paid in full and no way of getting a refund if we try to cancel this late. we sail in less than a week and just found this site last week and before that heard nothing bad about the ship or the cruiseline and I don't want my tips going to bad service. I'm not saying completely zero out the tips just lower from 168 for the week to half that especially for the kids room. But thanks everyone for jumping on me about how horrible I am for not tipping the people behind the scenes. The cruiseline itself says those people don't get a portion of tips those people are "salary only" and a friends daughter who worked with them as an intern confirmed tips go to people that we actually interact with on the ship not people we don't. As the daughter of my friend said she couldnt answer my question as they have made many changes to the company since she left them because of so many bad complaints which prompts me to want to lower the auto tips.

How many id's do you have?:eek:

Why not wait and see if the service is as bad as you've "heard." I notice you've been asking about drink packages and bingo so maybe, just maybe, you could spare some $ for the poor guy who cleans your toilet.:rolleyes:

we'll be on a new cruiseline to the american /caribbean market MSC and its got very bad reviews but we've already paid in full and no way of getting a refund if we try to cancel this late. we sail in less than a week and just found this site last week and before that heard nothing bad about the ship or the cruiseline and I don't want my tips going to bad service. I'm not saying completely zero out the tips just lower from 168 for the week to half that especially for the kids room. But thanks everyone for jumping on me about how horrible I am for not tipping the people behind the scenes. The cruiseline itself says those people don't get a portion of tips those people are "salary only" and a friends daughter who worked with them as an intern confirmed tips go to people that we actually interact with on the ship not people we don't. As the daughter of my friend said she couldnt answer my question as they have made many changes to the company since she left them because of so many bad complaints which prompts me to want to lower the auto tips.

I read in another post that your "kids" are your nineteen year old son and his girlfriend. I don't consider them "kids."

I thought that was against CC rules?

It is ... and if the mods are aware of multiple ID's for one individual, they will deal with it by, I think, banning the person (and all current and future identities) from the boards.

Your kids are not "kids" but adults. And even if they were younger, they are in their own cabin that has to be cleaned twice a day and the cabin steward should be tipped. Same for the waiter in the dining room. Your kids are still being served regardless of how old they are. Anyone in their own cabin should pay the full tip, regardless of age. Why not wait until you can make a judgement on your own about the service on the ship before you start tip cutting?

If I'm traveling with my family and my husband uses his cc to pay the sign and sail card charges for all 4 of us in 2 different cabins can I or one of the kids (both over 18) go down to the account desk and make the changes to the automatic tips for all 4 of us or does the credit card account holder have to do this?

Do i understand correctly that your husband is wanting to pay tips but you want to go behind his back to deny tips due to the crew?:mad::eek:

Be aware that if you do remove any/all autotips and hand out cash ... the crew receiving cash tips is bound by contract to turn that money in, and it is then shared by all crew particpating in the autotip pool. So, in the end, the individual you so generously tip in cash actually receives only a small portion of the $$$$$$$.

For Carnival anyways; to quote Lenny Halliday the Cruise Director of the CCL Freedom at the embarkation talk, any cash tips stay with the person you gave them to. I was glad to hear that.

Diane, wait til near the end of the cruise to make any adjustments. Who knows, you might end up with the best service ever. I'm off the CCL Freedom 1.5 weeks ago and the diningroom room staff weren't that good but I didn't change the tips. Enjoy your cruise.

I read that if you do not pre-pay but ONLY pay in cash then the tips do have be turned in and shared with everyone. But if you do the auto tips and then tip above and beyond that, the cash stays with the person you gave it to. Can't say that is the same with every line though.

If you have a question about any of this, better to contact your cruise line. I'm sure different ones have different policies.

I will make one suggestion: if you receive service that you believe is substandard, please contact the appropriate people while on the ship so they can at least make an attempt to correct the situation. While I have not cruise MSC yet, the other lines I have cruised have aways tried to fix any problems we had when we got in touch with the correct people (and sometimes, this is not easy).

we'll be on a new cruiseline to the american /caribbean market MSC and its got very bad reviews but we've already paid in full and no way of getting a refund if we try to cancel this late. s.

the food may be a bit different than you are used, to, but anticipating bad service. You posted this in a newbie's thread and people are telling you honestly that the tips are a minimum. I have had two bad cabin stewards and still didnt decrease tips. I did write a complaint to the cruiseline.

Around $10 a day or whatever for an entire day's service is very little to tip for 3 meals and having your cabin cleaned most of us obviously think. How did you expect folks to react?? Seriously??!!

Sorry, if you're going to post such a cheapskate question and your justification is "my friend's daughter told me this info that may or may not be correct", you're going to get reamed out. If you can't stand the heat, don't get in the kitchen. If you can't afford to tip, don't cruise. :(

I always cancel the auto tip. I like to give cash tips based on the service. I don't think I ever gave less than the recomended tips, but I gave more or less to individuals based on service. Charging me for tips is not a tip, but an added charge.

I always cancel the auto tip. I like to give cash tips based on the service. I don't think I ever gave less than the recomended tips, but I gave more or less to individuals based on service. Charging me for tips is not a tip, but an added charge.

The problem is, you never see alot of the people who give you service, the chefs, the laundry people, etc etc.

You do know that as soon as you remove the auto tip whoever you tip has to turn it into the "pool." So it is split up anyway.

The only way an individual can keep your tip is if you keep the auto tip in place and tip above the minimum amount.

Archived