Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

• 3 weeks later...
I posted this as a new thread and should have posted it here...sorry..
Frank

Hi Ladies,
This is Frank from Saegertown, PA, remember me.... the one with a hundred questions last April and May. I'm baaaacck...:p I have reservations at the Crowne Plaza in Elizabeth, NJ and plan on taking the Path into NYC for 2 days of sightseeing before our cruise Oct. 30,2009. I can now get rooms at the same price at the Holiday Inn at the airport for this time period. My question for you ladies( and other CC folks) would it be "more gooder" (remember I was the teacher for 43 years) for me to stay at the HI rather than the Crowne. I mean more gooder in the sense of making it easier to catch the transportation to the path and back to the hotel at the end of the day. Are the 2 places about the same for "nice-est"; "safest"- "coze est" :D ??
Thank you for the help..you just know I'll be back again !!
Thank you so much,
Frank

Just read something about construction at Exit 14A on Turnpike extension. I am going on Explorer on Thursday from Bayonne. Nothing about this on Cape Liberty website yet. The post I read said to take Exit 14B then follow detour signs to port. Any Bayonne residents know anything about this? Any suggestions about the easiest way to get there with the construction occuring?
Thanks

I found the article - it's from today until July 23rd. [url]http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/07/new_jersey_turnpike_connector.html[/url]

"Drivers who want to get to Route 440 from the Turnpike Extension should use Exit 14B instead of 14A and follow detour signs, officials said. Drivers coming from the I-95 Turnpike and heading east on Route 78, should use Exit 15E to access Route 440."

I actually got off at exit 15E this year and drove through Jersey City to the Holland Tunnel. It's very easy. You get off at 15E, take routes 1&9 truck east towards NY. The first big intersection is route 440, so you would stay on the right and make a right and follow 440 South all the way to Port Terminal Blvd. That will be much easier than trying to follow a detour from exit 14B.

Hopefully, someone who lives in Bayonne will comment. Exit 14A is not closed, just the access ramp to 440. I'm sure a car could get around it on local streets, but....that seems like a real bother when there is another good route available.

I drive past the port to get to the turnpike extension to get to work every day. 138east is correct - it is the ramp in between the turnpike entrance/exit and 440 that is closed.
I would not recommend taking exit 14A and doing local streets to the port - I would imagine all the other cruise passengers will be going this route, having come off the turnpike not knowing anything about the construction, and the local streets of Bayonne can't handle this many cars. If you are coming from the North and will be on the turnpike anyway - 15E is probably the best. I have never actually taken that route, but probably no worse than any other options.

If you are coming from another direction (ie, from GSP to 78) I would recommend taking 14B. The detour isn't too bad (this is my normal shortcut when the turnpike extension backs up). It's very easy to follow as all the cars back there will be heading the same place you are. It's a single lane road with 2 turns, but as long as you will be coming through after rush hour (9:30), I don't think it will be too bad - most traffic during this time will probably cruise passengers, and most won't know to take this detour.

I would budget as much has 2 hours extra to deal with this construction mess. It probably won't be that bad, but you don't want to risk missing your boat. They are closing the ramp at 9am today, so I have tonight and tomorrow's commute to deal with it - I will post again tomorrow with exactly how bad things were. (As you can probably tell, I'm expecting the worst.)

I've been stuck on the turnpike extension between exit 14 and 14A - absolutely no where to go. If it backs up, it's even a longer distance to get to exit 14B. I'd take my chances with Exit 15E and Route 440.

Dear Greatam,
I read somewhere that it is possible to go from Port Authority in Manhatten to Bayonne by Bus and take a taxi from there to the pier. Is it possible to take luggage on the bus and how long does it take to get to Bayonne?
Thank you very much and regards
Dolores

[quote name='rts']Just read something about construction at Exit 14A on Turnpike extension. I am going on Explorer on Thursday from Bayonne. Nothing about this on Cape Liberty website yet. The post I read said to take Exit 14B then follow detour signs to port. Any Bayonne residents know anything about this? Any suggestions about the easiest way to get there with the construction occuring?
Thanks[/quote]

RTS; we're going on the same cruise!!! Come over to our thread on the Meet and Mingle Board and meet everyone!!

Thanks everyone for the Bayonne warnings, i'm going to call our limo co. and make sure they know!

Cheryl

Keeria - Here's the bus info - Coach USA - $4.00 to Bayonne - about an hour.
[url]http://www.coachusa.com/redandtan/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bayonne&s2=NJ&resultId=104644&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fredandtan%2Fss.tickets.asp&cbid=557427335638[/url]. I would call and ask about the luggage just to be sure. I would think it would have to fit in an overhead rack - perhaps two smaller suitcases instead of one big one. If you search this thread, there are Bayonne cab numbers somewhere.

[quote name='138east']Keeria - Here's the bus info - Coach USA - $4.00 to Bayonne - about an hour.
[url]http://www.coachusa.com/redandtan/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bayonne&s2=NJ&resultId=104644&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fredandtan%2Fss.tickets.asp&cbid=557427335638[/url]. I would call and ask about the luggage just to be sure. I would think it would have to fit in an overhead rack - perhaps two smaller suitcases instead of one big one. If you search this thread, there are Bayonne cab numbers somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I personally wouldn't take this bus unless you have backpacker type luggage (backpack and nap sack ONLY). I stuck a driver on the bus from the Bayonne port area to Manhattan one time-he had a hard time handling a CB radio, small tool box and small suitcase. Most of the stuff was in his lap the entire trip. That is a commuter bus, not really made for cruise luggage.

There is an airport shuttle bus like a Greyhound where they put the luggage underneath. But it goes from three stops in Manhattan to EWR-$15.00 One way, $25.00 RT. Leaves from EWR OR Manhattan about every 1/2 hour. Still have to pay to get from the airport to the port-$40.00. Also a Coach USA bus but a "road bus", not a city bus.

Greatam - I agree about the commuter buses from Port Authority. What about this - cab to Path station at 33rd St, Journal Square train to Hoboken or Newport/Pavonia , and Hudson Bergen Light rail to Bayonne? Luggage should be manageable on Path and the light rail. Keeria may be looking for a way to not spend a hefty cab fare to Bayonne.

[quote name='rts']Just read something about construction at Exit 14A on Turnpike extension. I am going on Explorer on Thursday from Bayonne. Nothing about this on Cape Liberty website yet. The post I read said to take Exit 14B then follow detour signs to port. Any Bayonne residents know anything about this? Any suggestions about the easiest way to get there with the construction occuring?
Thanks[/quote]

I've avoided 440 both coming home last night and heading to work this morning, so unfortunately can't provide any input about best route. There were signs on the turnpike advising detours via 15E and 14B for anyone planning to use 14A. A co-worker who also travels past the cruise terminal told me she used 14A last night and there is a posted detour through Bayonne local streets to get back to 440. Hard to predict what other cruise passengers will be doing, so it's tough to make a call about which way will have the least traffic.

Advice still stands to leave plenty of extra time to get there, allowing for traffic and time to get back on track if you make a wrong turn. Worst case, if you arrive early there is a shopping center just past the cruise terminal where you can pick up any last minute items you forgot, or grab breakfast at Dunkin Donuts.

[quote name='138east']It's a pretty long walk with no sidewalks - at least 1 1/2 miles - the terminal is at the end of the peninsula.[/quote]

Thanks, guess i'd better remember everything as we're arriving at the port by limo!!!

Dear Greatam and 138east

Thank you very much for your very useful information. Yes, I am trying to avoid the expensive taxi fare from Manhatten to Bayonne. [URL]http://www.bayonnenj.org/royal.htm[/URL] mentions a bus service but now I think the light train might be the better solution.
Regards
Dolores

If you take the light rail to Bayonne, you will need to call a cab when you get to 34th St. Here's a list of Bayonne cabs that someone posted earlier.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Bayonne NJ Taxi’s[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Campbell 201-339-8300[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Yellow Cab 201-339-5000[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]AMS Limo 1-800-899-2776[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Archies Cab 201-858-8800[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Bayonne Limo 866-666-7773[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Bayonne Yellow Cab – 201-437-2000

If you decide to do this, please let us know how it works out for you. Are you coming from Port Authority anyway, or are you arriving in NY by some other means? There are other connection options depending on where your trip originates.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Dear 138east,
Thank your for your kind information. We will arrive at JFK on 18th September, stay at the Courtyard Midtown East, 866 Third Ave, and board the CONSTELLATION to New England/Canada on 19th Sept. It is our first time to New York and I am very thankful if you could tell me where it would be best to take the train to Bayonne.
Regards from Switzerland
Dolores

Dolores - you're from Switzerland. How neat. Will you have a cell phone you can use in NY?

1) Cab to Subway/Path station at Herald Square. According to the MTA website - "Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street". Or - your hotel is right by the 53rd & Lex subway stop - "V" train downtown to 34th St (Herald Square). "Elevator at northeast corner of 52nd Street and Lexington Avenue" - you can change underground to Path. You would want to be towards the front of the subway train.

2) Now it gets tricky - we will have to ask for opinions of folks who are familiar with the stations. You would take the Journal Square Path train to Newport/Pavonia and transfer to the light rail or take the Hoboken train to Hoboken and transfer to the light rail. You get off the light rail at 34th St. in Bayonne and call a cab (probably difficult if you don't have a cell phone).

3) Another alternative is to take the Journal Square train to Journal Square, which is a transportation center where there should be cabs or at least some way to call one. My guess is that the cab fare to the Bayonne port would be $40-$50.

Don't know if you feel this would all be worth it. Most folks don't. However, a car service from Manhattan to Bayonne would be $75 to $100 and would have to be arranged in advance.

[quote name='Keeria']Dear 138east,
Thank your for your kind information. We will arrive at JFK on 18th September, stay at the Courtyard Midtown East, 866 Third Ave, and board the CONSTELLATION to New England/Canada on 19th Sept. It is our first time to New York and I am very thankful if you could tell me where it would be best to take the train to Bayonne.
Regards from Switzerland
Dolores[/quote]

Keeria come on over to the roll call thread here [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=767242&page=11[/URL] we're not very talkative, but we're hoping to become chatty cathy's as we get closer to departure. My husband and I will be staying in NYC after the cruise with friends who reside in Queens. My first trip to NYC as well.

[quote name='138east']
2) Now it gets tricky - we will have to ask for opinions of folks who are familiar with the stations. You would take the Journal Square Path train to Newport/Pavonia and transfer to the light rail or take the Hoboken train to Hoboken and transfer to the light rail. You get off the light rail at 34th St. in Bayonne and call a cab (probably difficult if you don't have a cell phone).
[/quote]

I would avoid making the transfer at Newport/Pavonia. The PATH station is on one side of Washington Boulevard; on the other side there are large office buildings between the street and the light rail line. If you do go this route note that there are two public access walkways within the office buildings. The more southern one you want to avoid as it goes to the second floor of the office building and then connects with an elevated walkway over the light rail line to the Newport Center shopping mall. Use the more northern one as it remains on the ground level and provides direct access to the light rail line.

The Hoboken transfer works reasonably well. There's an elevator from the PATH station to the north side of the Hoboken railroad terminal, and the light rail station is on the south side of the same terminal. Just walk across the train shed to travel between the two stations (and while doing so poke your head inside the terminal's waiting room and look at the beautiful Tiffany glass ceiling).

Another option that you might want to consider is taking the ferry from Manhattan to New Jersey, and then board the light rail train at the ferry terminal in New Jersey. The NY Waterway ferry terminal is Pier 78, on the westside at 38th Street. There are free shuttle buses from the main crosstown streets in midtown to Pier 78. The most regular ferry service goes to Port Imperial in Weehawken. At Port Imperial walk outside, cross the main street, and there's a light rail station right at the tunnel portal. You could also take a Hoboken South ferry and it will leave you right next to the light rail station in Hoboken. Another ferry goes to Paulus Hook, also a short distance from a light rail station. Check the website for ferry schedules. [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/www.nywaterway.com"]www.nywaterway.com[/URL]

Dear 138east and GTJ

Thank you so much for your information. I know, it is rather unusual in the US to use public transport. But I believe New York is different.
Even though most people own at least one car in my country, it is quite normal to go to work, the airport or any other location by train or bus, even with a lot of luggage. But I must admit, I also prefer to use my car, especially when going to the mountains.
Should you require any infos on Europe, please let me know. I will be glad to try and help you.
Enjoy your weekend,
Dolores

JMHO, but I just don't think the PATH/light rail option is very good for cruise pax transferring from NYC. You still have to take a cab from the light rail line to the port (about $15-20.00). You have to schlepp luggage across streets, down elevators, up escalators, etc. etc. A LOT of hassle if you have more than a rolling carry-on size suitcase.

The easiest and possibly the cheapest way to get to the cruise port-take the USA Coach airport bus and take a cab to the port. IF you can pair up with someone on the same ship from the airport to the port, you can cut the cost of the taxi in 1/2. If you can find someone to split the cost of the taxi, you could get a couple to the cruise port from Manhattan for about $50.00.

Archived