Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Just wondering if there is a grocery store or drug store or anywhere I can get a case or 2 of coke between EWR and the port? We'll be taking a taxi, so we don't want anything far off course that will cost us too much $$ to stop at. Is there anywhere along the way that's worth stopping at in order to save a bit of money on drinks on-board?

Just wondering if there is a grocery store or drug store or anywhere I can get a case or 2 of coke between EWR and the port? We'll be taking a taxi, so we don't want anything far off course that will cost us too much $$ to stop at. Is there anywhere along the way that's worth stopping at in order to save a bit of money on drinks on-board?

There is a Stop & Shop supermarket one traffic light south from the entrance to the Pier off of Route 440.. And no $.05 per bottle deposit like we have in NY.

Almost forgot to mention, be sure you can take your own on board. Some cruise lines try to prevent it.

OK you seasoned Cape Liberty cruisers...here's my question. We will be going on the Explorer April 15-24, 2010. We live in eastern PA and plan to drive to the port...our first time out of Bayonne. We plan to arrive no later than 11:00 AM on embarkation day, but my question is in regards to when we leave the ship on Saturday. I would think it would be best to disembark as early as possible to avoid too much traffic. Is that realistic?

Thanks in advance.

OK you seasoned Cape Liberty cruisers...here's my question. We will be going on the Explorer April 15-24, 2010. We live in eastern PA and plan to drive to the port...our first time out of Bayonne. We plan to arrive no later than 11:00 AM on embarkation day, but my question is in regards to when we leave the ship on Saturday. I would think it would be best to disembark as early as possible to avoid too much traffic. Is that realistic?

Thanks in advance.

I used to travel that way from PA on Sat mornings & there's nor reason to wait to be the last ones off the ship, especially if you self disembark. Since your driving you might as well get home as early as possible.

Skeetercat - sounds like you are coming at this from a different direction now. Are you looking for a hotel where you can park your car for the duration of the cruise and get transportation to the port? Country Inns would be good, but you have to contact them directly to see what they can offer your party of 8. Their packages seem to be either stay and cruise or stay and park. You need to price out what a stay, park, and cruise would be for all of you. You may find that if you are two people flying into Newark, the stay and cruise is a good deal but if you are more than two people they will charge extra for the additional cruise transfers. Also, they will charge extra for the parking (I'm seeing $35 for 8 days???). It all adds up

Meg - didn't you arrange some sort of van to transport a bunch of people to Cape Liberty in February? Do you have any idea what Skeetercat would pay to do that?

Jimbo is on a cruise right now and he says he got a stay/park deal for 14 days at the Fairfield for $115. Hopefully, he will report back to us about that.

Skeetercat - we can work on getting you to Path a little later. Basically, you would drive into downtown Newark and pay to park - $10/day. Then your group could take the train or Path into the city.

Thanks again for Meg and your help. We are seriously considering a park and cruise package. We are looking into possible ways to get to the port from the hotel (thanks for the Black Car info), but were wondering if anyone knew of any reasonably priced, but nice hotel in the Newark/Elizabeth area that offer a park and fly/cruise package?? I like the hotels across from the Jersey Gardens Mall, but other than the Courtyard and Country Inn I wasn't sure if there were any other ones??

Thanks.

I used to travel that way from PA on Sat mornings & there's nor reason to wait to be the last ones off the ship, especially if you self disembark. Since your driving you might as well get home as early as possible.

Thank you!

Thanks again for Meg and your help. We are seriously considering a park and cruise package. We are looking into possible ways to get to the port from the hotel (thanks for the Black Car info), but were wondering if anyone knew of any reasonably priced, but nice hotel in the Newark/Elizabeth area that offer a park and fly/cruise package?? I like the hotels across from the Jersey Gardens Mall, but other than the Courtyard and Country Inn I wasn't sure if there were any other ones??

Thanks.

MANY offer a p & fly ..ONLY the Country Inn has a park n cruise...i like those as they are newer, easier to get to and near stuff. There is a Residence inn there too.....and an extended stay america (skip it!)

there are lots of other places..SKIP the best western and Wyndham garden. The Holiday Inn is OK...not fancy, but can be cheap.

The hotels on routes 1 & 9 are a PITA to get in and out of and there is nothing around to eat.....and driving there isn't for the uninitiated to our wacky roads, drivers and jughandles....LOL.

hth

MANY offer a p & fly ..ONLY the Country Inn has a park n cruise...i like those as they are newer, easier to get to and near stuff. There is a Residence inn there too.....and an extended stay america (skip it!)

there are lots of other places..SKIP the best western and Wyndham garden. The Holiday Inn is OK...not fancy, but can be cheap.

The hotels on routes 1 & 9 are a PITA to get in and out of and there is nothing around to eat.....and driving there isn't for the uninitiated to our wacky roads, drivers and jughandles....LOL.

hth

Thanks again Meg. So it sounds like the Country Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn are a good choice in the Elizabeth area ... correct?? And I assume that they are not on routes 1 & 9. Are they simple to get to??

Thanks again.

hth

Thanks again Meg. So it sounds like the Country Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn are a good choice in the Elizabeth area ... correct?? And I assume that they are not on routes 1 & 9. Are they simple to get to??

One other question ... we will have our own cars as we are driving in from Ontario. Is it easier to drive to the port and park there or is it easier to park at the hotel, get transportation to the port and then pick up the car back at the hotel and drive home at the end of the cruise??

Thanks again.

The answer is it depends. You have to call the hotel and price it out. They offer a stay/cruise rate with two transfers for one price (primarily for folks flying in without a car) and a stay/park rate primarily for folks flying out. You want cruise transfers for 8 people and parking for a lot of days and the room, so you will pay for all that. The main advantage of paying for the parking at the port is that when you get off the ship, you get in your car and go. No waiting around for transfers.

Just one more consideration - if you decide to park at the port, you can probably get a more inexpensive room at the airport than Country Inns.

Even though it's more expensive for us to fly back home from Newark instead of JFK, after reading suggestions above, we've decided it's the better option. Would rather not take the cruise line transfers but get to the airport with a taxi. A car service was suggested earlier. The ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00 am - what time would we request the car service and how would we know which car is ours? Are there no taxis waiting to take us to Newark airport? Thank you for all your help. Getting home is the most stressful part!

Even though it's more expensive for us to fly back home from Newark instead of JFK, after reading suggestions above, we've decided it's the better option. Would rather not take the cruise line transfers but get to the airport with a taxi. A car service was suggested earlier. The ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00 am - what time would we request the car service and how would we know which car is ours? Are there no taxis waiting to take us to Newark airport? Thank you for all your help. Getting home is the most stressful part!

There are taxis....(and shuttle buses which can be a PITA!) Just cause the ship is SUPPOSED to dock at 7 doesn't mean it will.....

IIRC (carol do you rememeber what time they started calling colors in FEB??) the 1st peeps started to disembark around 8:30 (the express walk off carrying all luggage....) then by 9 or so they started everyone else...

i wouldn't have the car there before 8:30

One other question ... we will have our own cars as we are driving in from Ontario. Is it easier to drive to the port and park there or is it easier to park at the hotel, get transportation to the port and then pick up the car back at the hotel and drive home at the end of the cruise??

Thanks again.

Yes those hotels are good! they are off exit 13A of the NJ Turnpike....follow signs for jersey gardens mall.....you will see them on the left before you get to the mall.

as for parking at the port?? depends on you and what kind of deal you can get......there HAS been talk lately of paint overspray getting on cars again as the bayonne pier area is an active ship yard.........i have no personal experience with this but others do.,......

i just can't be bothered driving in, dropping off mom and the stuff, parking, etc.....easier for us to leave the driving to the REAL pros! (and i am a pretty darn good jersey driver...I even know what that stick thing on the left side of the steering wheel is for....that's the turn signal!:D

It would be nice if someone could clarify what Country Inns would charge for a one night stay, 12 days of parking and cruise transfers for more than 2 people. There are certainly other places to stay and park at Newark airport, but that's not something I have done for a few years. My sense is that the more people you have, you might be better off doing a stay/park and arrange some sort of larger vehicle to do the cruise transfer for the entire group.

Hello,

I'm driving down from Boston the day before our cruise in July on the Explorer. I have some Marriott gift certificates that I'd like to be able to use for my stay. I'm looking on line at a few different places near the port and was wondering if someone could tell me what they thought about the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City on 540 Washington Boulevard. I have the option of staying at any Marriott, Farifield Inn or Renaissance Hotel since they're all associated with the Marriott. Any other suggestions?

I'd prefer something that was fairly close and not too confusing to get to the port since I have no sense of direction.

Thank you!

Hello,

I'm driving down from Boston the day before our cruise in July on the Explorer. I have some Marriott gift certificates that I'd like to be able to use for my stay. I'm looking on line at a few different places near the port and was wondering if someone could tell me what they thought about the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City on 540 Washington Boulevard. I have the option of staying at any Marriott, Farifield Inn or Renaissance Hotel since they're all associated with the Marriott. Any other suggestions?

I'd prefer something that was fairly close and not too confusing to get to the port since I have no sense of direction.

Thank you!

I can't comment on the quality of the hotel as I have never stayed there, but my office is a block away from the hotel, and I drive past the Bayonne cruise port every day to and from work. VERY easy to get to the port - its a right on Washington, and a left onto 14th. From there, you go straight to get onto the NJ turnpike and take the Bayonne exit for 440 south. There is a sign for the Port on the Turnpike exit, and signs/arrows along the way to the port entrance on 440. Should take no more than 20 minutes.

Thank you Punchy! I'm glad to hear that it's not a confusing drive to the port from that hotel.

138east-No, we're just driving down the night before to save us from getting up early and worrying about getting to the port on time.

Looking forward to what Meg thinks.

Thanks again!

Personally, I'd stay at the airport. Jersey City is out of your way. I drive from Mass to NJ all the time. I used to live in Jersey City and I agree with punchyb - it's an easy drive to Bayonne, but...... There is a Marriott Courtyard right at exit 14 of the turnpike.

If it was me and I had free accommodations in the area, my first choice would be Courtyard in Jersey City (although it can be slightly confusing driving down there) second choice would be Renaissance in Secaucus, third choice would be Courtyard in Secaucus. Renaissance hotels are a step up from Courtyards as they are full service hotels-bar, restaurant, fitness club, etc., etc. I personally wouldn't use a gift certificate for Fairfield. The Secaucus hotels are off the NJ Turnpike, so easy access to both hotels. And getting to the port from Secaucus is slightly easier than getting from waterfront Jersey City (city streets vs turnpike).

IMHO, whatever you do, get away from the airport area. Just too congested to drive around and with all the hustle/bustle, not relaxing in the least.

Archived