Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Thanks so much, that's the exact info I was looking for. The cruise we are looking at is Oct 16th on the Constellation. We might even try to fly in the day of but possibly the night before. Since the Country Inn has a transfer pkg., that might be the best way to go.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply.

We're weighing out the costs of a cruise leaving from LA vs. NJ.....the actual cruise is less expensive, but in trying to get there, I didn't know how much more to factor in. Your quotes were great!

Thanks again.

Linda

Thanks for the warning on the weather.....yes, what was I thinking, we will most likely come in the night before, no extention to the cruise since it's already 2 weeks and the hubby can't miss work!

Think I straightened out the whole signature thing......thanks again for the tips!

Country Inns is really a good deal at $175 for the hotel and the transportation. If you spend $100 to go to the port and back, you have to get a room for $75, which is possible, but you may have to do a lot of work to arrange it. They also have a nice breakfast and they are close to the Jersey Gardens Mall, which could be a destination the evening you arrive.

Thanks Meg! I'm a Jersey girl at heart. I make so many trips back and forth each year that I feel I can comment. Also, I've actually stayed at Newark Airport hotels and I've been flying/cruising with my 90 year old mom out of Bayonne where every aspect of the travel experience has to be thought out. So I guess I have dual citizenship between NJ and Mass.

check this........

www.panynj.com

if you stay in elizabeth i would cab it to the RR station in newark and hop PATH or just take the bus............

carol???:p;)

Thanks Meg ... but I couldn't find the RR station on the map ... what am I missing??

What about in Jersey City ... do you know if there is a parking lot close to the Exchange PATH station?

Thanks again.

http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

try that...

the newark penn station is on the map!

then if you click on each station's name there is more info and a link for parking...

i haven't ridden PATH in a long time and i never had to park as i was transferring from NJ Transit to PATH at the Newark Penn station....seems that there are public lots in the area...it is mainly office buildings, condos and hotels so it should be safe.

Since you are just pricing things out at this stage, figure about $10/day for parking in Newark/Harrison/Journal Square/Grove St. Parking near Newport or Exchange Place is more expensive - about $20/day. You might be able to find a lot that is cheaper, but these are probably good numbers for budgeting.

Thanks so much, that's the exact info I was looking for. The cruise we are looking at is Oct 16th on the Constellation. We might even try to fly in the day of but possibly the night before. Since the Country Inn has a transfer pkg., that might be the best way to go.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply.

We're weighing out the costs of a cruise leaving from LA vs. NJ.....the actual cruise is less expensive, but in trying to get there, I didn't know how much more to factor in. Your quotes were great!

Thanks again.

Linda

Linda,

Hubby and I are on the ship on 9/19 - DO NOT FLY the day OF!! You lose time flying from West Coast to East Coast. You'll not arrive in time. Unless you fly a red eye from the night before. We are arriving the day before we sail, we've always done that when we cruise from the east coast.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport (which I've stayed at before). Free shuttle from EWR to the hotel. Then we are going to taxi it or private car service to the pier. I've already booked our hotel at a rate of $85/night :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Will be ending :( our cruise at Bayonne on May 2, 2010, a Sunday, and can fly out of either Newark or JFK. Newark flights cost 3 times JFK, so obviously JFK would be better but I'm wondering about getting to the airports. Can we just get a cab at the pier without a prior reservation? How long will it take to get to the airports in Sunday morning traffic? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Docking on Sunday morning actually does make a huge difference in NY. Compared to other times of the week, the traffic is usually very light and the earlier the better. I would recommend hiring a car service instead of betting on a random cab at the pier. Bayonne is not like NY - the pier is in a relatively desolate industrial area.

try a car service as a cab will cost a small fortune...I am not sure if NJ cabs have a flat rate to JFK, but if not it will be EXPENSIVE as NJ cabs can't pick up return fares in New York.....

You MAY want to just fly into NJ as the cost of getting to and from JFK may wipe out any savings..(and it is a PITA of an airport--and ride!)

You're really early for flights too.....so i would keep checking around.

However, i have a blog (link below) with some car services listed that you can check with.....

let us know if you have any other questions....

Mapquest says 35 miles and 53 minutes. It all depends on the traffic on the Belt Parkway. A car service is a service where you prearrange to be picked up and driven from one place to another for a prearranged price. The car will probably be a lot nicer than a taxi. You may pay more, but the car service assumes the traffic risk because you a paying a flat fee. I don't know how much it would be to Kennedy, but you should know that just going to Newark would be $45-$50.

I'm not sure of the route yet ... we will be coming in through NY State from Buffalo. The hotels in Secaucus do look alittle better priced, but still close to $200 each. How long of a drive is it from Secaucus to the port?? Since we are not familiar of the NY and NJ area ... which area is the easiest to navigate around??

Thanks again for this information ... i'd be lost without it!!

I think we are leaning towards staying at the Country Inn in Elizabeth and then get to the nearest PATH station to NYC. Anyone hear anything good/bad about Country Inn and Suites?? Has anyone used their park and cruise package??

Thanks again.

I think we are leaning towards staying at the Country Inn in Elizabeth and then get to the nearest PATH station to NYC. Anyone hear anything good/bad about Country Inn and Suites?? Has anyone used their park and cruise package??

Thanks again.

i've stayed there but haven't used the package.....it should be fine....there's a ruby tuesday next door...seems the diner has closed (bummer)

we usually stay across the parking lot at the Courtyard or Residence Inn for marriott points.....but i will stay at the CI if it's cheaper.

Skeetercat - sounds like you are coming at this from a different direction now. Are you looking for a hotel where you can park your car for the duration of the cruise and get transportation to the port? Country Inns would be good, but you have to contact them directly to see what they can offer your party of 8. Their packages seem to be either stay and cruise or stay and park. You need to price out what a stay, park, and cruise would be for all of you. You may find that if you are two people flying into Newark, the stay and cruise is a good deal but if you are more than two people they will charge extra for the additional cruise transfers. Also, they will charge extra for the parking (I'm seeing $35 for 8 days???). It all adds up

Meg - didn't you arrange some sort of van to transport a bunch of people to Cape Liberty in February? Do you have any idea what Skeetercat would pay to do that?

Jimbo is on a cruise right now and he says he got a stay/park deal for 14 days at the Fairfield for $115. Hopefully, he will report back to us about that.

Skeetercat - we can work on getting you to Path a little later. Basically, you would drive into downtown Newark and pay to park - $10/day. Then your group could take the train or Path into the city.

skeeter....i attempted to arrange a van, but so many people bailed that it was cheaper to get a car service....we used www.blackexecutivecars.com

i called several places for vans....i got a quote, believe it or not, by calling the EWR Airport Marriott hotel....i asked for the bellstand. Apparently there is a car service right there....i can't recall the name but superior sticks in my head. they were the cheapest...and they were going to give us a few tahoes or something......

my old laptop crashed so i don't have all the info i originally got....sorry!

The ride from check-in to the ship is no more than 2 minutes, if that. Boarding and unboarding the bus takes longer. Both times I have gone, we have been at the port by 11 am. You unload your luggage (and park if you have a car), go through security, go through check-in, and then wait in the lounge for the boarding to start. They serve coffee, tea, lemonade and cookies. Bring a book or a magazine and before you know it, you're on your way. When you get to the ship, you go to the WJ for lunch. This can be a bit of a mob scene. Grab a table and put down your stuff and go get some food. Rooms are usually ready about 1 pm.

The afternoon is for checking out your dining room table, making Portofino's reservations, booking excursions, and making spa appointments. Explore the ship - particularly the fitness center to find the indoor hot tub, the sauna, the steam room and the nice big showers. All the hot tubs should be open.

Does anyone know how long of a ride the shuttle bus is from the point of check-in to the ship? I will be on the EOS on May 9th. and was just planning at what time to head out to the port.. Thanks:)

Please don't get there too early - there is total chaos at the port as people are arriving long before those disembarking have managed to get away. There is only one way in and taxis arriving to take people away were stuck on a long long line which consisted of many people arriving early to be first on the ship. :eek:

Archived