Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Personally, I'd stay at the airport. Jersey City is out of your way. I drive from Mass to NJ all the time. I used to live in Jersey City and I agree with punchyb - it's an easy drive to Bayonne, but...... There is a Marriott Courtyard right at exit 14 of the turnpike.

Do you know what town the Marriott Courtyard would be in at exit 14 so I can figure out which one it is that you're referring to?

If it was me and I had free accommodations in the area, my first choice would be Courtyard in Jersey City (although it can be slightly confusing driving down there) second choice would be Renaissance in Secaucus, third choice would be Courtyard in Secaucus. Renaissance hotels are a step up from Courtyards as they are full service hotels-bar, restaurant, fitness club, etc., etc. I personally wouldn't use a gift certificate for Fairfield. The Secaucus hotels are off the NJ Turnpike, so easy access to both hotels. And getting to the port from Secaucus is slightly easier than getting from waterfront Jersey City (city streets vs turnpike).

IMHO, whatever you do, get away from the airport area. Just too congested to drive around and with all the hustle/bustle, not relaxing in the least.

Sooooo many questions.. Is the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City near the airport?

I think the Marriott Courtyard at the airport is in Newark. The Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City is not near the airport. However, it is near NY, so if you are driving down and want to run into NY, it is a good place to stay.

Last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn @ Newark. Since we were coming from LI we checked out how to get to the pier at Bayonne. That was a piece of cake. Trying to get from Bayonne to Newark was a nightmare. They made the directions look so easy. We could see the Hotel from the highway but could not exit to get to it. We drove in circles going from the airport back to 78 while it was raining and every vehicle on the road was a tractor-trailer. Somehow or another we finally made it to the hotel. I made a beeline to the bar. It was so nerve wracking. they definately need to build some hotels near the pier. The next morning we followed a shuttle going to the pier. The engineers must have been tripping when they designed the highway system in northern NJ.

Do you know what town the Marriott Courtyard would be in at exit 14 so I can figure out which one it is that you're referring to?

it is the Courtyard Newark Airport and NOT the CY newark/elizabeth. The one off 14 is on routes 1 and 9...get really good directions and pay attention to the roads....do NOT get in the farthest lane to the right once off the Tpke onto Routes 1&9 (same road, two names...yes we are nuts here!)

nothing around to eat except the CY itself or delivery.

Last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn @ Newark. Since we were coming from LI we checked out how to get to the pier at Bayonne. That was a piece of cake. Trying to get from Bayonne to Newark was a nightmare. They made the directions look so easy. We could see the Hotel from the highway but could not exit to get to it. We drove in circles going from the airport back to 78 while it was raining and every vehicle on the road was a tractor-trailer. Somehow or another we finally made it to the hotel. I made a beeline to the bar. It was so nerve wracking. they definately need to build some hotels near the pier. The next morning we followed a shuttle going to the pier. The engineers must have been tripping when they designed the highway system in northern NJ.

Yikes! That's what I'm trying to avoid. If my husband was coming on this cruise then I wouldn't even be worrying about things like this but since he's not, I'm getting a little worried about having a hard time finding the port or getting lost for hours on the NJ Turnpike.

I'd love to drive to the end of Route 84 in CT, leave my car there and have a limo pick us up! Ahhhhhh.... perfect. :)

Hello,

I'm driving down from Boston the day before our cruise in July on the Explorer. I have some Marriott gift certificates that I'd like to be able to use for my stay. I'm looking on line at a few different places near the port and was wondering if someone could tell me what they thought about the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City on 540 Washington Boulevard. I have the option of staying at any Marriott, Farifield Inn or Renaissance Hotel since they're all associated with the Marriott. Any other suggestions?

I'd prefer something that was fairly close and not too confusing to get to the port since I have no sense of direction.

Thank you!

If you just want to sleep....and NOT pay a fortune to park for a night, i would do the Courtyard at exit 13A on glimcher realty way by jersey gardens mall (called Courtyard Newark elizabeth) Or the residence inn across the driveway.

THEN probably the Ren EWR Airport. (but you pay to park there)..THEN either the CY or SHS Newark Airport off 14 of the TPKE on Routes 1/9. (there are 3 marriott brands right in a row....i wouldn't waste GCs on a FFI....ICK!)

Lastly by EWR would be the Full Service marriott (as their parkign is most expensive and its older, but was redone in the last year or so)

THEN maybe someplace in Seacaucus. The REN is very nice but their restaurant and service there is horrendous! We couldn't get waited on for breakfast (and it was a BUFFET---no one brought coffee cups, juice, etc....or ever approached us to ORDER anything.......)

We tried to get dinner in the lounge...that too was a disaster (dining room closed for dinner the day I was there).....took 45 minutes for a hamburger and there were exactly 4 patrons!

it is the Courtyard Newark Airport and NOT the CY newark/elizabeth. The one off 14 is on routes 1 and 9...get really good directions and pay attention to the roads....do NOT get in the farthest lane to the right once off the Tpke onto Routes 1&9 (same road, two names...yes we are nuts here!)

nothing around to eat except the CY itself or delivery.

Hmmmmmmm..... maybe I'll stay at my original choice of the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City. The whole same road, two names sounds too crazy for me.

Has anyone stayed there before?

If you just want to sleep....and NOT pay a fortune to park for a night, i would do the Courtyard at exit 13A on glimcher realty way by jersey gardens mall (called Courtyard Newark elizabeth) Or the residence inn across the driveway.

THEN probably the Ren EWR Airport. (but you pay to park there)..THEN either the CY or SHS Newark Airport off 14 of the TPKE on Routes 1/9. (there are 3 marriott brands right in a row....i wouldn't waste GCs on a FFI....ICK!)

Lastly by EWR would be the Full Service marriott (as their parkign is most expensive and its older, but was redone in the last year or so)

THEN maybe someplace in Seacaucus. The REN is very nice but their restaurant and service there is horrendous! We couldn't get waited on for breakfast (and it was a BUFFET---no one brought coffee cups, juice, etc....or ever approached us to ORDER anything.......)

We tried to get dinner in the lounge...that too was a disaster (dining room closed for dinner the day I was there).....took 45 minutes for a hamburger and there were exactly 4 patrons!

WOW!!! I didn't even think about having to pay to park at the hotel! I'll check out the REN in Seacaucus.

As you are concerned about our lunactic roads and drivers, do you sanity a favor and pick the RI or CY at 13A off the turnpike.....just follow the signs to Jersey Gardens Mall. You will see the hotels on your LEFT. Turn left at the light at Kapkowski blvd (iirc) and then left again and you are all set.

When you get off the exit....keep to the right.....for jersey gardens blvd...you'll go back OVER the turnpike......

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&q=courtyard+newark+elizabeth+by+marriott&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=40.665552,-74.177198&spn=0.007634,0.021071&t=h&z=16

good luck! it isn't bad! You want "A" (not sure WHY google lists the hotel twice.,.....)

Hmmmmmmm..... maybe I'll stay at my original choice of the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City. The whole same road, two names sounds too crazy for me.

Has anyone stayed there before?

Haven't stayed there......some say there is street parking......

the 1 road 2 names thing isn;'t bad (they DO split eventually)

and not for anything, but IMO some Mass drivers are really nuts too!!!:D:p lol!

BTW you can't make left turns all the time here.....you generally have to do a "jughandle" to get across buys roads, meaning you make a right turn to go around and make a left! (not so much in cities and towns, but on big divided roads.....)

Meg - she has a free night at a Marriott

Ginrom - are you by yourself? You will be better off at the airport. As much as you don't want to get lost at the airport, you definitely don't want to get lost at night in Jersey City. All you have to do is to pay close attention at Exit 14. It is a huge exit. You can pull over and stop if you are not sure. The Courtyard web site has directions that you can print out. Just as Meg said, the directions say to get in the center lanes and they show a picture of the sign you need to follow.

ALL the CYs, the RI, SHS and FFI by EWR have free parking.

The REN EWR and FS Marriott charge

:eek: What do all these abbreviations mean? I'm assuming that CY is Courtyard.

LOL

Ginrom - are you by yourself? You will be better off at the airport. As much as you don't want to get lost at the airport, you definitely don't want to get lost at night in Jersey City. All you have to do is to pay close attention at Exit 14. It is a huge exit. You can pull over and stop if you are not sure. The Courtyard web site has directions that you can print out. Just as Meg said, the directions say to get in the center lanes and they show a picture of the sign you need to follow.

I'll be with my 17 year old daughter and her friend so... yes, I'll be by myself and sure as heck don't want to get lost in a shady looking area. :)

I know....all the brands i mentioned are marriott brands...and free nights/Gift certs do not as a rule include parking...

Renaissance,Courtyard, Residence Inn, Springhill and Fairfield are all marriott branded hotels!

We are driving from Ohio leaving Wednesday late afternoon. Can't leave any earlier due to work. We are planning on driving to somewhere over Jersey state line past Delaware Water Gap or further depending on how everyone is feeling. (I am hoping to get to the Rockaway area.) We plan on getting up early Thursday and driving the rest of the way to the pier. We will have a rental car. DH is planning on dropping us off at the pier and returning the car to the airport.

My questions: How busy is route 80E from western NJ? I am sure the closer to the city the traffic is worse. How do we get to the pier from Route 80?

Are there lots of cabs at the airport to grab 1 to get to the pier or do we need to call for a cab?

What is the approximate cost from Newark to pier?

I grew up in Ridgefield and haven't been back for many years so I really don't remember the directions. I do remember the traffic though:eek:

If you get as far as Rockaway, Mapquest says to come east on I80, south on 287, and east on 24 and I78. That makes a lot of sense. Rockaway is only 35 miles from Bayonne, so it is well within the NY commute area. So on a Thursday morning you would not want to leave Rockaway before 9 am. I'm sure there will be traffic on I78, so you would not want to get involved in that until after rush hour. That would put you at the pier by 10 am. If you can drop off by 10:30 am, then it will take you 20-30 minutes to get back to the rental car place, and a similar amount of time to get back to the port. You should get the exact address of the rental car return and do a Mapquest from Bayonne to there. Both turnpike exits 13A and 14 serve the airport and one or the other will be closer to your car return. The roads are incredibly confusing and you will a map a precise directions. I'm not sure about a cab at the airport - your best bet may be to take the rental car shuttle back to one of the terminals to grab a cab. The fare should be $45-50.

The traffic at the port can be hit or miss so you should be prepared to wait there to drop off. When you drop off, pay attention to where things are and the traffic pattern. Last year it was a big loop at the end. If there is a traffic jam when you come back, you can have the cab go as far as the exit from the loop, pay him off, and walk to the terminal rather than sit in a long line of cars waiting to drop off luggage.

Just be sure that you have all your personal documents with you. You should be able to make it back by the time boarding starts at noon, and the others in your group should have a low enough number to ensure you are among the first groups to board.

If you get as far as Rockaway, Mapquest says to come east on I80, south on 287, and east on 24 and I78. That makes a lot of sense. Rockaway is only 35 miles from Bayonne, so it is well within the NY commute area. So on a Thursday morning you would not want to leave Rockaway before 9 am. I'm sure there will be traffic on I78, so you would not want to get involved in that until after rush hour. That would put you at the pier by 10 am. If you can drop off by 10:30 am, then it will take you 20-30 minutes to get back to the rental car place, and a similar amount of time to get back to the port. You should get the exact address of the rental car return and do a Mapquest from Bayonne to there. Both turnpike exits 13A and 14 serve the airport and one or the other will be closer to your car return. The roads are incredibly confusing and you will a map a precise directions. I'm not sure about a cab at the airport - your best bet may be to take the rental car shuttle back to one of the terminals to grab a cab. The fare should be $45-50.

The traffic at the port can be hit or miss so you should be prepared to wait there to drop off. When you drop off, pay attention to where things are and the traffic pattern. Last year it was a big loop at the end. If there is a traffic jam when you come back, you can have the cab go as far as the exit from the loop, pay him off, and walk to the terminal rather than sit in a long line of cars waiting to drop off luggage.

Just be sure that you have all your personal documents with you. You should be able to make it back by the time boarding starts at noon, and the others in your group should have a low enough number to ensure you are among the first groups to board.

Might be a cheaper cab ride back to the ship if you return it to the car rental in Jersey City, NJ Budget Car Rental

138East

How many different trains would I need from TimeSquare 205 W 46th Street to Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson in Jersey City(Exchange Place)?

Plus how safe or unsafe would it be taking that route at 11pm after a Broadway Show?

Jimbo:)

I would recommend walking down Broadway to the 32nd St. Path Station or walking to 42nd St. and taking the Broadway N,Q,R,W train to 34th St (front of the train) or a cab to 32nd & 6th. Then you take Path to Newport and change to the WTC train to Exchange Place on a weekday or take Path to Grove St. and change to the WTC train on the weekend.

An alternate route would be to walk over to 8th Ave. & 42nd St and take the World Trade Center train (E??) to the WTC and then take Path one stop to Exchange Place. Personally, I would feel safe doing either at 11 pm, which is actually kind of early in NY. Perhaps some others who live in NY will comment. The second route is more direct and should be faster.

Hi everyone! Wanted to start a board to be able to help people who are comming to my town. Figured the best thing to do was post this and take it from here.

I am a Bayonne New Jersey Resident and I love cruising. I'm sure others out there have a million questions that they cant find answers to, and I'm willing to help.

So ask away and i'll find out the answers for you and post them here.

Happy sailing!

Hi,

Just a quick question for you. We would like to visit Woodbury Common. We are staying at the Crown Plaza. We plan to take a bus, any help would be great.

Thanks

Sharon (Northern Ireland)

Hi,

Just a quick question for you. We would like to visit Woodbury Common. We are staying at the Crown Plaza. We plan to take a bus, any help would be great.

Thanks

Sharon (Northern Ireland)

Are you at the CP by Newark? Woodbury Commons is probably 90 minutes away............not sure how feasible it will be.....but click the link below for info...scroll around and you will find bus info..not sure of the cost.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=7#bus

you will have to get yourselves into NYC to get this bus. NJ Transit buses do not go to woodbury. There is an outlet mall near Newark airport...

http://www.jerseygardens.com

close by and good deals...

Just a quick check shows the 112 bus 1/3 mile away from the Crowne Plaza going to NY for $5.25. It takes 40 minutes to Port Authority. Then there is a Greyline bus to Woodbury Commons - it takes about an hour and costs $42 round trip. So the trip will take about 2+ hours each way and cost about $50 round trip.

Archived