Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Hello, everybody!

I got to page ten and couldn't find what I needed to know, so I'm taking a chance that I may be repeating someone else by asking this question!

This is our first time on RCCL, and our first visit to Cape Liberty. We have a passenger who is wheelchair bound, and I cannot find out if the shuttle from the embarkation area to the ship is an accessible shuttle - therefore - here's the question - How does a wheelchair user get to the ship? Please tell us!

Hello, everybody!

I got to page ten and couldn't find what I needed to know, so I'm taking a chance that I may be repeating someone else by asking this question!

This is our first time on RCCL, and our first visit to Cape Liberty. We have a passenger who is wheelchair bound, and I cannot find out if the shuttle from the embarkation area to the ship is an accessible shuttle - therefore - here's the question - How does a wheelchair user get to the ship? Please tell us!

yes they have accessible shuttles...they 'kneel' and a ramp comes out-someone who works at the pier generally assists with getting the person onto the bus. also, a crew member will help you push the chair up the ramp to the ship.

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. We are spending a few days at the Jersey shore before our cruise - we really love your beaches! Thought it would be a great idea to combine a short cruise with a shore vacation. Looks as though things will go well for us!

Cheers!

Do you have a handicapped placard? If so, you can drop off everyone at the embarkation tent and swing around and go into the parking lot. You drive through the lot and back across the road again to the handicapped parking, which is steps from the embarkation tent. This will make it easier when you return - you can wheel your luggage and the wheelchair (or have the porters do it) directly to the car.

If you get to the port around 11 am, you will be among the first to board. As Meg said, someone will assist you to get on and off the bus and up the gangway. Then off to lunch in the Windjammer and to your cabins between 1 and 1:30.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried to check this thread for my question but can't find it. If it has already been posted, I apologize.

We arrive back in port at 7am on June 25 from Bermuda and are using car service to/from the port. What time should I have them pick us up?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Infolady....it depends..

First............the ship may or may not be in by 7. Now, both times recently when we sailed we were in by 7. BUT they didn't start the self-assist debark until AROUND 8:30. We had wheelchair assist with a later tag ( i could have used the Diamond 1st off tags) and we were off AROUND 9:30 or so.....but we were NOT last.

So.....i really can't tell you! sorry! maybe tell them 9 or so...but get a number so you can call when you know they are going to start letting people off.

the pier area WILL be busy so make sure they tell you what the vehicle looks like!

HTH

by the way....check your signature...you have something that is either bad code, or a website that CC blocks. you have a whole bunch of gobbledygook!

:p

Hello Meg... We took your advice and booked the Black Ex Limo Car service and was wondering if the price they quoted us includes the tip. BTW...your website is GREAT!!! Thanks for all of your information.

1) Liberty State Park - ferries to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty

2) Drive to Journal Square, Grove Street, or Exchange Place, Jersey City and take Path into NY for the day. Uptown Path is Herald Square (Macy's). Downtown Path is World Trade Center.

Hello Meg... We took your advice and booked the Black Ex Limo Car service and was wondering if the price they quoted us includes the tip. BTW...your website is GREAT!!! Thanks for all of your information.

thanks...you're welcome and we tipped as i was not told that the fee included tip. we had lots of luggage (4 bigs and a small) so i gave 10 bucks.

FYI..they were about 20 minutes early! we weren't quite ready...i had to make 1 more trip to the room (had mom and all our stuff and all the bell carts at the hotel were in use!) no prob with them waiting for me!

have fun.

thanks...you're welcome and we tipped as i was not told that the fee included tip. we had lots of luggage (4 bigs and a small) so i gave 10 bucks.

FYI..they were about 20 minutes early! we weren't quite ready...i had to make 1 more trip to the room (had mom and all our stuff and all the bell carts at the hotel were in use!) no prob with them waiting for me!

have fun.

Great Thank you!!! BTW...I saw your pictures when you were on the Explorer of the Seas. They were great. Especially the ones in St Thomas with them trying to fix the ship. Have you heard if they fix the ship or is that still a problem? Just wondering.

I am doing some research for my folks who will be departing on EOS 6/25/09. I am looking for some return trip details-they return home 7/4/09 and need transportation assistance. They need to get back on a NJTransit train on 7/4 and head westbound (Trenton). Can someone tell me which is a better plan They have senior one way rates on NJT . Logistically- which is better?

Cab from Port Liberty pier to Newark Penn Station to NJTransit westbound (Trenton)

Cab from Port Liberty pier to EWR airtrain to NJT westbound(Trenton)

Airport shuttle to EWR, then airtrain to NJT westbound (Trenton)

Cab to Bergen Light rail -then what?? Do you take the light rail from 34th st to Hoboken then transfer to a PATH then to NJTransit from Newark Penn Station. Is that correct? It seems like a lot of transferring, but it will be cheap for them (senior fares) but may be too much trouble. Then they have to factor in the holiday schedule for the trains.

Any other cost contained (read cheap!) transportation options ending in them getting to a NJTransit station from the pier?

We sail CCL Triumph and arrive home on 6/25 from NY the day they sail on the EOS from Bayonne. They will pick us up from NY pier and we will drive their car and drop them off at Port Liberty and drive their car home w/us. Win-win situation in that neither of us has to park at the piers for the week. So- we have the "getting there" worked out for them but the return trip is stumping us. They hope to avoid anyone having to get them from Bayonne on the 4th holiday.

Thanks for any help or insight you could provide.

I am doing some research for my folks who will be departing on EOS 6/25/09. I am looking for some return trip details-they return home 7/4/09 and need transportation assistance. They need to get back on a NJTransit train on 7/4 and head westbound (Trenton). Can someone tell me which is a better plan They have senior one way rates on NJT . Logistically- which is better?

Cab from Port Liberty pier to Newark Penn Station to NJTransit westbound (Trenton) - I would choose this option - $45-$50 cab fare

Cab from Port Liberty pier to EWR airtrain to NJT westbound(Trenton) - There is no parking or drop-off area at this station

Airport shuttle to EWR, then airtrain to NJT westbound (Trenton) - This would actually be more expensive because of the airtrain surcharge and it would be a big PITA with luggage.

Cab to Bergen Light rail -then what?? Do you take the light rail from 34th st to Hoboken then transfer to a PATH then to NJTransit from Newark Penn Station. Is that correct? It seems like a lot of transferring, but it will be cheap for them (senior fares) but may be too much trouble. Then they have to factor in the holiday schedule for the trains. This would be the cheapest. Figure $10 to get the the light rail, $.95 to go to Exchange Place, and $1.75 to go to Newark, so about $16 total. The transfer at Exchange Place will be the more complicated one. The Bayonne light rail station looked OK, and there will be escalators and elevators at Newark Station. The holiday schedule won't be that bad - it's a Sunday schedule and the trains should be uncrowded.

Any other cost contained (read cheap!) transportation options ending in them getting to a NJTransit station from the pier? No

We sail CCL Triumph and arrive home on 6/25 from NY the day they sail on the EOS from Bayonne. They will pick us up from NY pier and we will drive their car and drop them off at Port Liberty and drive their car home w/us. Win-win situation in that neither of us has to park at the piers for the week. So- we have the "getting there" worked out for them but the return trip is stumping us. They hope to avoid anyone having to get them from Bayonne on the 4th holiday.

Thanks for any help or insight you could provide.

If they should choose to go by light rail, could you give us some feedback about their experience? So far no one has commented on this option.

Great Thank you!!! BTW...I saw your pictures when you were on the Explorer of the Seas. They were great. Especially the ones in St Thomas with them trying to fix the ship. Have you heard if they fix the ship or is that still a problem? Just wondering.

the ship will not be fixed until Jan 2010 when in drydock!

glad you liked the pix!

Thanks, I will pass on this info to the folks. I think the light rail might be a bit too complicated w/luggage for an 8 day, but I will keep it in mind for my DH and I when we take our next EOS 5 day and report back. I appreciate the quick reply.

I'm sure the light rail is OK if you can manage your luggage - probably no worse than your average airport. However, for folks on vacation, particularly a cruise vacation, this is usually not an option that they want to consider. Have them take a cab or arrange a car service to Newark Penn Station. That is the simplest and most direct solution.

is there a reasonable place to park the car?

the crusieline parking lot charges $19 a day

there does not seem to be a hotel/motel that lets you park for a week

any ideas or thoguhts please advise

i can nbot bgeleive with bayonne opening up they do not have reasonable transportation fro m manhattan to bayonne

or from newark airport to bayonne

someone with sone 4 could explore this and make some $i

[quote name='sweetone0523']is there a reasonable place to park the car? [COLOR=purple][B]no just the pier.[/B][/COLOR]

the crusieline parking lot charges $19 a day

there does not seem to be a hotel/motel that lets you park for a week

[COLOR=purple][B] book a park n fly by newark airport. cab or car service is 40-50 bucks...that's the best you can do. the country inn & suites has a cruise package but parking is extra. look for the newark/elizabeth location at [/B][/COLOR][URL="http://www.countryinns.com"][COLOR=purple][B]www.countryinns.com[/B][/COLOR][/URL]
any ideas or thoguhts please advise

i can nbot bgeleive with bayonne opening up they do not have reasonable transportation fro m manhattan to bayonne

[B][COLOR=purple]they do not due to taxi regulations in each state.......................NY cabbies cant pick up return fares in NJ and vice versa[/COLOR][/B]

or from newark airport to bayonne

[COLOR=purple][B]in this area 40-50 bucks IS REASONABLE![/B][/COLOR]

someone with sone 4 could explore this and make some $i
[COLOR=purple][B]i have no idea what you mean with that statement[/B][/COLOR]

[/quote]

see above.

Hi we are travelling from Times Square to Bayonne what time do we need to leave at to be at bayonne for about 11am. Should we book a cab through the hotel or pick it up on the street, oh a roughly what should it cost for the journey.

[quote name='shirleys8']thanx 138 for your speedy reply. Will the hotel arrange the car or should we.
thanx again[/QUOTE]

Arrange your own car. NYC hotels often add on a "service fee" and of course, the concierge who is generally in charge of arranging cars expects a tip. Quite a few NYC hotels are now passing out vouchers for hotel arranged cars. Pay for the car at the hotel desk, hand the voucher to the driver. Was $15.00 more for a hotel arranged car from the W Union Square to our Bronx office last week for one of my employees. We WON'T be doing that again.

Archived