Have you ever contracted Typhoid on a cruise to the Caribbean?

BonnieVA

Have you ever contracted Typhoid on a cruise to the Caribbean?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever contracted Typhoid on a cruise to the Caribbean?

• No
    • No, but someone in my family did.
    • No, but someone else that I personally know did.
    • Yes!

why do you know someone who did?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/typhoidfever_g.htm#Where%20in%20the%20world%20do%20you%20get%20typhoid%20fever

given that there are less than 400 reported cases in the US it is very rare. Latin America has it but the Carribean isn't that much of a hot spot.

best advice: wash you hands often and eat only on the ship as much as possible.

why do you know someone who did?

No, lol. We were discussing it on another thread & someone said they wondered how many cruise passengers actually get it. They said it would make a good poll ... so I did one!

I think this might be difficult to diagnose on a ship because the main symptoms of typhoid could look like any number of illnesses. Fever, stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea could look like Noro or just plain old flu.

I think this might be difficult to diagnose on a ship because the main symptoms of typhoid could look like any number of illnesses. Fever, stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea could look like Noro or just plain old flu.

Yea, but typhoid symptoms don't develop until 10-20 days after exposure so you wouldn't get sick w/ it on the ship. And it's something pretty serious so, if you got it, I would think you'd be positively diagnosed w/ it by your doctor.

When I was on Crystal, I did an overland shore excursion in Cambodia where typhoid is common. The cruise line made sure we didn't drink anything other than bottled water when we were at the hotels and provided everyone with anti-bacterial washes. And even on that trip, I didn't take a typhoid shot.

I believe the typhoid vaccine is a two shot series. I remember when I was getting ready to go to nursing school ( long time ago:rolleyes:) and had to have the typhoid shots. My doctor just laughed at the requirement at that time.

I believe the typhoid vaccine is a two shot series. I remember when I was getting ready to go to nursing school ( long time ago:rolleyes:) and had to have the typhoid shots. My doctor just laughed at the requirement at that time.

its either a 4 pill series or one shot. see the CDC site mentioned above. the two shot one has been discontinued...

its either a 4 pill series or one shot. see the CDC site mentioned above. the two shot one has been discontinued...

Thanks, I was just remembering.:rolleyes: In 1974 it was a 2 shot series. There was no oral option at that time. Vaccines have changed so much over the years and continue to be updated. Those who remember oral polio vaccines will be surprised when their children or grandchildren are given an injection instead. Combination vaccines are available for routine childhood immunizations as well. You are correct that the CDC is the best resource for all information regarding immunizations and disease alerts, this board is informative but more conversational than authoritative. I hope everyone stays healthy, it would be terrible to contract something on vacation.:)

No, lol. We were discussing it on another thread & someone said they wondered how many cruise passengers actually get it. They said it would make a good poll ... so I did one!

What I meant on the other thread was a good poll would be to ask how many people get the typhoid vaccine. Sorry! :o

After several cruises to the Caribbean, Panama, Central America & no typhoid contracted nor any shots taken.

Do not know anyone that has contracted it.

That should cover all the questions;)

Lyn

After several cruises to the Caribbean, Panama, Central America & no typhoid contracted nor any shots taken.

Do not know anyone that has contracted it.

That should cover all the questions;)

Lyn

No ... I don't ... even including Panama & Central America.

typhoid Mary...but I don't know her personally and that was in the US, in New York.but it was a while ago...

HA,HA,HA!!!!

Between this one and your other poll post, you're killing me tonight.:D

I was still laughing about the other one when I came across this one, can't decide which if better.:D:D:D

Thanks, I was just remembering.:rolleyes: In 1974 it was a 2 shot series. There was no oral option at that time. Vaccines have changed so much over the years and continue to be updated. Those who remember oral polio vaccines will be surprised when their children or grandchildren are given an injection instead. Combination vaccines are available for routine childhood immunizations as well. You are correct that the CDC is the best resource for all information regarding immunizations and disease alerts, this board is informative but more conversational than authoritative. I hope everyone stays healthy, it would be terrible to contract something on vacation.:)

And I don't remember the last time smallpox vaccines were required in the USA. I had one as a child but my scar faded into obscurity so long ago I barely remember having it.

Diane

In my 16 Caribbean cruises and my 4 Panama Canal cruises that dabbled in the Caribbean I have NEVER contracted Typhoid

BECAUSE

I have done the typhoid shot! :D

Yes, see, I honestly do not want to shell out the $600 to vaccinate my family against this. Some say you'd be a fool to travel w/out the vaccine & others say they've been all over the place w/out one. The CDC recommends it but, honestly, if typhoid's so darn rare (& it appears most do NOT get the vaccine) ... I don't know ... dh is more willing to take the risk than I.

HA,HA,HA!!!!

Between this one and your other poll post, you're killing me tonight.:D

I was still laughing about the other one when I came across this one, can't decide which if better.:D:D:D

Glad I could provide some amusement for you (seriously :D). Hey, I can't be rational ALL the time ... I gotta come up w/ some off-the-wall questions sometimes. Can you imagine how boring CC would be if there was never some really odd questions that make you go, "huh?"??

Archived