My Time Dining

puggrandma

Same thing on HAL... we booked the beginning of February for a December 14th cruise. THEE only seating available even that far in advance was "Anytime". SO?? For the handful of people who do like it, it is totally obvious that most do not. And you would think booking 10 months in advance would ensure us a fixed dining spot. But no.... There was a line a mile long to try and change their dinner seating to a fixed time the moment we boarded. If this anytime thing is so popular why is it that the fixed times are always the ones on the waiting list?? This is the part that I just don't get?? Yeah... everyone could have something for everyone, the problem is NO one knows how to do it yet. I have never EVER seen a wait list for anytime seating. Like someone previously stated, the staffing is the problem. The same staff can handle the fixed dining because they are all working on the same thing at the same time.

I still like the fix dining options. I would avoid anytime and open seating.

I would like a more extensive buffet option on X for dinner for those evenings we don't want to go to the MDR.

Oceania has been mentioned; all dining is open and there are no formal nights. There are no beepers, virtually no waiting, the waiters know how to serve without confusion or bustle. There is also no fee for the two specialty restaurants, although reservations are required. The cruise line is considered a cut above Celebrity. It's ironic how many folks we have met on Oceania who previously considered Celebrity their favorite cruise line, but have somehow managed to "adjust" to what is a much more relaxed vacation, yet still elegant in its way.

It's amusing how many folks mention Carnival in this context; Carnival still has fixed dining and formal nights. That could be construed as putting Celebrity in the same class as Carnival...

Well, it is super easy to adjust to a relaxed, elegant vacation when you have the staff to pull it off... Where they can create that type of atmosphere without losing the service in the process. I would love to have that same experience but Celebrity can't pull it off. I would rather have a "come as you are... whenever you want" just can't afford to do it the right way:) It shouldn't be too amusing comparing any of the cruise lines. They are all much more alike than they are different.:rolleyes:

Royal caribbean have implemented My Time Dining on all their ships. They have done it well and you will not find one traditionalist with a complaint. There is one section of one of the restaurants set aside. The only issue we've had with it was when we made an 8:15 reservation and we had a hard time getting to the seating desk as there were soooooooooooooo many 8:30 traditional diners lined up to get in when the door opened at 8:30. Since Celebrity is a sister line to Royal, one has to believe they will offer the same level of service.

The negative comments on this thread are similar to those made a couple of years ago on Royal. Interestingly, once the trials started there was nary any negative posts about this option.

Personally, I'm thrilled to hear Celebrity will be bring this option to their ships as it will definitely sway me to book with them.

Royal caribbean have implemented My Time Dining on all their ships. They have done it well and you will not find one traditionalist with a complaint. There is one section of one of the restaurants set aside. The only issue we've had with it was when we made an 8:15 reservation and we had a hard time getting to the seating desk as there were soooooooooooooo many 8:30 traditional diners lined up to get in when the door opened at 8:30. Since Celebrity is a sister line to Royal, one has to believe they will offer the same level of service.

The negative comments on this thread are similar to those made a couple of years ago on Royal. Interestingly, once the trials started there was nary any negative posts about this option.

Personally, I'm thrilled to hear Celebrity will be bring this option to their ships as it will definitely sway me to book with them.

I'd be very surprised if anything on CC was unanimous, especially something as important as dining style is to many passengers.

Count us in with the traditionalists. We like having our table waiting for us each night at the same time, a waiter that knows our preferences, not having to worry about missing a show because of waiting for a table or eating a little earlier/later than usual, and more in that vein.

We were interested in trying Princess at one point but were told early traditional was full, so we decided not to go. It does seem like it is often too difficult to get one's preference and I think that is a major part of people's objections to anytime dining being offered. It's not that we want you not to have options; we just don't want to lose our preference as a result.

Count us in with the traditionalists. We like having our table waiting for us each night at the same time, a waiter that knows our preferences, not having to worry about missing a show because of waiting for a table or eating a little earlier/later than usual, and more in that vein.

Susie, I was one of those that never thought I'd like MTD, but just got off of the Radiance of the Seas where we tried it. The traditional dinner times were 6:30 or 9:30, one too early and the other too late for us. We were a group of 6 and asked for a 7:15 or 7:30 time and had no problems with that time. We had the same table and wait staff every night and since we were between the other dining times, got our food faster and it was hot (or cold) depending on the dish. One night we were sailing by glaciers and asked for an 8:00 pm time. We had no problem changing it and we still had our same staff and table. We also had plenty of time to go to the later show without having to rush through dessert or coffee.

The Radiance had one section of the upper deck reserved for MTD and didn't notice any disruption with people coming or going. Everything worked flawlessly.

I've been converted.

Garry

I think the reason open seating works well on Oceania, Azamara and Regent has to do with the size of the ship, the size of the dining room and the nature of the cruise experience. I've done open seating on Azamara's Journey and it works okay because the dining room is large in relation to the number of cruisers. In addition, these ships are designed for port intensive cruises, like 14 nights with 12 ports, and people are on and off the ship at all hours. We dine early and had no problems getting into the dining room, but after finding a great waiter our second night, we switched to the same table, the same time, every evening. We weren't the only ones doing that.

We have the Regatta coming up this year and look forward to their style of cruising as well, but on a large ship (Celebrity) we prefer fixed dining. As hylasgirl mentioned, we were on HAL's Westerdam and 9 months out could not get fixed seating. We did the open seating and switched to the same crew, same time, every evening. What a mess! We ate dinner in less than an hour every night so they could clean up for the next wave. People coming and going -- diminishes the whole experience.

On Princess one formal evening we were seated, and ten minutes later a group of eight mid-school age kids were seated next to us with NO adults. We are teachers and that was the last thing we wanted on vacation. Not a pretty picture!:rolleyes::eek: As you wish dining on Princess has no tables for two in the fix dining room. Last Princess cruise.

Celebrity could really seperate itself from the others by keeping fix dining. The Sostice class ships are already head and shoulders above the competition. This, coupled with the restrictive smoking policy, is making Celebirty more and more attractive to us!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

OP, the following is not meant towards you. You asked a legit question, but after reading so many threads about how Celebrity (and this occurs on all other forums) needs to change to meet particular wishes, I just had this karma moment. We are talking about a vacation fun time, so I thought.......

After reading how different dining options work so well on other lines, I agree Celebrity should opt to change over to them. They should open a full Buffet for dinner, and add Anytime Dining, and My Time Dining and Your Time Dining and That Other Guys Time Dining. Since many lines don't require or even suggest Formal or Smart Casual, or Dumb Casual wear, they should do away with all those restrictive dress codes and at the same time increase the quality of service and food. I'd love dining on 5lb lobster wearing my speedo.

And yes, other lines let their cruisers know what is going on throughout the day, so Celebrity should add lots of public announcements, and let everybody now about the bingo, and special sales and art auctions that are occurring every hour.

Personally, I need more activities, so Celebrity needs to add climbing walls, and a bowling ally, and an ice rink, yes and some virtual golf and skeet shooting. I don't have a single hair on my chest (hair doesn't grow on steel!) but lets get a hairy chest contest going. And more Conga lines.

Since 'those people' from 'those inferior lines' can now afford Celebrity and will ruin the demographics, Celebrity should double the stateroom prices to keep them out! Except for us who are the 'right people' and we'll get great deals that are lower then the New Bookings offered 2 hrs before sailing and we can book 2 yrs ahead.

Yes, lets insist Celebrity meet every conceivable option we can think of. That way, we don't have to think, or read or be surprised that the cruise differs from what we cruised on before, I mean, Celebrity's smoking rules were advertised 6 months before being implemented, but I want to smoke my cigar while dining in the MDR. I love the smell of gunpowder (oops, thats a movie line), burning tobacco while I'm dining on delicacies.

OK, I know, I was only hoping Celebrity could meet all our wishes. But when some cruise line tries, we'll hate it.

Just a thought.

Denny

I was told they are working on it now and it will be Anytime Dining and that it will be ONE OPTION along with the traditional that now exists. They also said they have not anounced it yet.

I was told I would be able to book it for my March 2010 sailing.

Those that don't want it, fine don't book it but don't try to spoil it for those of us the do prefer this idea.

The object is to let everyone have the kind of experience they prefer not force any one kind of experience on anyone else.

This is basically correct. Tentatively they're calling it Flex dining or Flexible dining. They'll offer a traditional as well as an anytime option. Expect this to be rolled out in the 4th quarter at the latest. Possibly sooner.

I would like to see MTD in the MDR. I enjoy the MDR experience and I don't want to miss out on it if I return from a shoe ex after my assigned dining time. On HAL, Princess, and NCL this option worked out well for us. On Carnival in Oct. 2008 we had assigned sitting with no anytime options in MDR. However, IMHO Carnival is not in the same class as X.

Susie, I was one of those that never thought I'd like MTD, but just got off of the Radiance of the Seas where we tried it. The traditional dinner times were 6:30 or 9:30, one too early and the other too late for us. We were a group of 6 and asked for a 7:15 or 7:30 time and had no problems with that time. We had the same table and wait staff every night and since we were between the other dining times, got our food faster and it was hot (or cold) depending on the dish. One night we were sailing by glaciers and asked for an 8:00 pm time. We had no problem changing it and we still had our same staff and table. We also had plenty of time to go to the later show without having to rush through dessert or coffee.

The Radiance had one section of the upper deck reserved for MTD and didn't notice any disruption with people coming or going. Everything worked flawlessly.

I've been converted.

Garry

Sounds like the best of both worlds. The time you want, plus the same table and wait staff. I like this idea.:)

I would like to see MTD in the MDR. I enjoy the MDR experience and I don't want to miss out on it if I return from a shoe ex after my assigned dining time.

Ok, I've obviously been doing something wrong, now I want to cruise with you, there has never been a Shoe Excursion offered on my cruises :)

We vote for Celebrity to offer an "anytime" option. Early is too early, and late is too late for us. Traditional is great if you get good table mates. But that's luck of the draw.

Just experienced "My Time" on Royal Caribbean. It was just a very small section - about 30 tables for two. Service was excellent and we told them a day in advance what time we would be arriving, so never had to wait for a table. The tables for two were very close together, so it was like having a table to yourself, or if you wanted to visit with the people next to you, it was like a larger table. We liked this arrangement - worked out great.

We've also done "Anytime" on NCL and Princess. We like their versions better as we have a choice of a table for two or a large table of ten - whatever we're in the mood for.

On NCL and Princess, the wait was never longer than 5 minutes for the main dining room.

Well, it is super easy to adjust to a relaxed, elegant vacation when you have the staff to pull it off... Where they can create that type of atmosphere without losing the service in the process. I would love to have that same experience but Celebrity can't pull it off. I would rather have a "come as you are... whenever you want" just can't afford to do it the right way:) It shouldn't be too amusing comparing any of the cruise lines. They are all much more alike than they are different.:rolleyes:

It's not so much having more staff, but staff trained in this type of service. When Azamara started they were getting complaints all over the place on their open dining....well all their staff had been taken from Celebrity ships, used to traditional dining...they didn't DO it right because they fought it...wasn't what they were used to. What you need is top waiters from onshore restaurants...or waiters trained as you would for same sort of restaurants. After a few months the on Azamara when the waitstaff got with the program everyone was praising their open dining.:)

Sounds like there are many wonderful choices available for MTD. It would be nice if there was one traditional cruise line remaining.

It might be nice for you, but not for all of the new Celebrity passengers that they're going to have to find to fill the bigger ships. They are going to want choices.

Sounds like there are many wonderful choices available for MTD. It would be nice if there was one traditional cruise line remaining.

I think what so many people are missing w/ cruise lines adopting flexible dining options for the MDR is that they are still offering traditional early/late seating for those who wish it. Princess, HAL, Carnival and RCCL have all maintained fixed early/late seatings and added a third option of open seating for those who wish it.

Some people have complained of not being able to get traditional dining even when booking 9-10+ months in advance. If this is an ongoing issue then the cruise lines need to re-evaluate the percentage of the MDR space devoted to traditional dining vs flexible dining and adjust accordingly, perhaps even on a cruise-by-cruise demand basis. Hopefully those who are "forced" into open seating dining because the traditional dining was full are expressing their concern to the appropriate departments both on and off shore.

If I had a choice I would like Anytime Dining - or whatever they call it. But, I am not trying to change Celebrity. If it happens it happens. I have made it this far and have been pleased :)

But if they don't offer it, how about an expanded buffet for those nights you just don't feel like going to the MDR at your assigned time. I'd even eat more in the room but I feel guilty that our room steward has to go get the food for us. How crazy is that?

We will be Elite as of our next cruise then I plan to branch out to RCCL for a cruise or 2 just to check out the dining options. When I say dining options, I mean "no extra cost" dining options.

It will be hard leaving the Solstice class ships though!

enjoy,

Duane

Count me in as a fan of dining when I want.

Princess does a good job at Anytime Dining, never a wait, excellent service and food and they also have a traditional seating dining room for those who prefer that.

I hope not! We have tried it on NCL, Princess and Holland America and I think it diminishes the experience. As of late, we have been alternating between HAL and X, but I won't book Holland America anymore if I can't get fixed seating.

Celebrity now has a niche, where it is the only premium line that only offers fixed seating. Enjoy! Kel:)

Both HAL and Princess offer both fixed (traditional) and anytime seating. When making your booking you select which option you want.

I prefer the traditioanl, fixed seating anytime

There is a cruiseline out there for everyone's taste. I prefer Celebrity, somewhat because of the traditional dining experience and the great food. I like knowing my waiter and asst. waiter, too.

My husband does not like formal night, nor eating with strangers, etc. so when he goes, we go on NCL and he is a happy camper. I've learned how to pick the best food items so as not to be disappointed, too. But I noticed that we almost always ate between 8 and 8:30, and sometimes had to wait for a table, or would end up at the buffet which is not, to me, a comparable meal. The buffet is fine if you don't want to dress up and are very tired from an excursion, though.

And if you know ahead of time that you'll be wiped out from a strenuous day of excursions, you can order room service from the main dining room menu, something only offered to suites on NCL.

With the Freestyle concept, however, you can never be assured you'll get to a show on time etc. Celebrity's meal times are based on what else is going on on the ship so you do not have to miss anything that others might be enjoying. I like that very much.

Sounds as if RCI, setting aside a part of the balcony for "anytime" dining is working and not disrupting the traditional dining. I'm sure if Celebrity wants to do this, they will.

It also sounds as if those passengers who spend their entire day on shore would like a buffet in the evening if they've missed the start of their traditional dining time, just for those days, not that they want to eat there daily. The casual dining blvd has always been available, but unless you tell your tablemates you're not going to be there, a table for 6 might turn into a lonely table for 2.

Let's see what X does in the next 6 months!

Archived