How many at your table in the MDR?

WapCaplet

How many seats at your preferred table in the MDR?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How many seats at your preferred table in the MDR?

• Table for 2, please.
    • Just the 4 of us, thank you.
    • Make it 6.
    • We're loud and proud, give us 8 seats!
    • There are LOTS of us. 10 or more, if you can.

I'm still waiting to go on my very first cruise ever, in July, and am obviously trying to do as much research as possible. I've been reading most of the threads in here every day and am thankful for all the helpful (and often entertaining) information posted.

Just out of pure curiosity, how many seats do you usually request when dining in the MDR? My wife and I have opted for an 8-person table, simply because we've never cruised before and don't know any better. ;) Seriously, we're just interested in meeting new people and getting the whole experience. But I'm curious what the trend is out there, if any. Thus, the poll.

I'd welcome any thoughts, experiences, tips, comparisons, etc. Again, just purely a curiosity issue.

Cheers,

Tom

We usually cruise with a group of 16-20 so we usually request at least 2 8-person tables. Celebrity has been great about placing the tables together and usually with the same wait staff. We love the attention we receive in the main dinning room and recommend Celebrity's dining experience to all :)

We usually cruise with a group of 16-20 so we usually request at least 2 8-person tables. Celebrity has been great about placing the tables together and usually with the same wait staff. We love the attention we receive in the main dinning room and recommend Celebrity's dining experience to all :)

We are the same, usually with a group of family and friends. If we are too many for one table than get two tables next to each other. Works out great.

We like a table for eight. We had one on Century in December, but it ended up being a table for six when a couple did not return after the first night. Tables for 10 are too large. A table for four would be OK if we were traveling with another couple we liked a lot--but we've always cruised just as a couple and not with friends or relatives.

We always choose a table for eight as well .Even when we travel with another couple.

Any larger would be too big and out of eight people there will always be someone you like;) on saying that we have never had anyone we didnt.

Since we have done it more than one way.... I did not vote.

First 2 cruises we travelled with another couple (family/friends) and had a table for 4.

From there on out we have been at tables for 8.

We too enjoy meeting new people and being social.

Oops! Hit the wrong button on the previous post. Sorry! When I cruised as kid with my family, we always sat at tables of 8 or 10, because we loved meeting other people...the cruise lines were usually very good about seating us with another family too, so there were a mix of adults and teens, etc.

My husband and I are sailing next month, and we've requested a table for 2 as its our honeymoon, and we're wanting to spend as much time as possible with each other.

:D

I think its just your preference, how much you like to socialize, etc...I've never had a bad experience with a large table - there's usually at least one or two other couples there you really like, and a couple of people who are quieter than the rest.

We are not antisocial, but this is one time we really like to hang together and focus on the food and our relationship. We have done 31 cruises and 30 of those have been at tables-for-two. The exception came when we cruised with Lauren's parents.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

this is the majority of the cruising we do...we have been on several cruises with friends...but when it is just the 2 of us...we ask for a table of 8...that way we can meet new friends and have a chance to "chat" with everyone... a table bigger than that makes it very hard to hear each other and/or chat with anyone across the table. Just our experience! LuAnn

I didn't vote because we are traveling with a group of 9 family members and obviously we chose a table for 10.

Down deep, I wish I had the chance to dine with people other my own family! I love meeting new people. :)

I generally travel solo and request a large table to meet people - generally 8-10. Hasn't always been great but I have moved if it's been REALLY bad (only needed to do that once though!)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else was going to post this:)

I sail solo as well and an 8 top is definitely my preference too.:)

Oh I didn't vote though....the reason for 8 didn't match my reasoning...

It is a great way to meet other people. Not too large a table and not

too small either.

Towards the end of our 14 night cruise on the Mercury, we discovered that three of the five couples at our assigned table for ten had asked for a table for two. It was sort of humorous. I wonder if 60% of the couples cruising alone request 2 tops. Does anyone have the stats on this?

It was impossible to carry on a discussion that everyone could hear without practically yelling, so we automatically shuffled the seating each night to get a better chance to know everyone.

One other experience with a table for ten was just as difficult for conversational purposes, but thankfully that was on an Oceania cruise, with open seating, so it was just one night. The rest of the cruise we did 2 tops and 4 tops, as we've found we really enjoy the romance of dining together alone, or with one other couple/party at a time that we want to get to know better. It's more relaxing for me at dinner to be able to hear easily and focus on fewer people. I find that I can get into deeper conversations when I'm with fewer people, which is something I like.

When I book I request an 8 top and then after I board the

ship I go see the Maitr'd. They are usually set up outside of the

Dining room on sail day, starting about 12:30 and they are used

to having folks come by to see them.:)

Some folks want to see where their table is located, how many

are at the table, if they wanted one seating and got the other,

etc..etc....The Maitr'd's are usually very accomodating:)

We have only cruised twice. First time got a table for 6, but it ended up being a table for 4, one couple fought ALL through the first night. We never did see him again, her we saw in ports and all over the ship. The joke at dinner was that she must have thrown him over board!!!:eek:

Second cruise we had a table for 10 and LOVED it!! We all got along so well, we ended up doing lots of things with many of them off the ship and still send e-mail to them all the time. Funny story - one day we were all late getting back to the ship, so we all missed our seating, but one by one we all showed up in the buffet area and ended up all together having pizza and talking until about midnight!!!

When we cruise again this September, we have requested a table of 8 to 10.

We love to meet new people!!

Happy cruising

Melody:D

We love larger tables--and find that good tablemates are the highlight of our day! I mean, we're together ALL THE TIME...and it's nice to be able to talk to others about your day's adventures, next days plans...finding out about the different places folks live...

We truly look forward to dinner---all because of our tablemates!

Hubby and I eat together all the time--we've been married for 33 years and we love our time alone, but---BUT--having others makes our time together even more special! It gives us something to talk about later!!!!

We either travel alone or with 2 other couples. The last time we traveled alone was in 2007. I had requested a table for 2 and found out we had been put at a table for 8. I asked the maitre de' if there were any 2 tops available (this was right after we boarded the ship) and he took us around the dining room. The tables for 2 were in terrible locations so I said we would stay at the table for 8. As it turned out, 4 of our tablemates were from England, and 2 were from Wales. We had the most wonderful time and conversations with them, and enjoed our experience tremendously. On our next cruise we have requested a table for 8. We won't ever request a 2 top again.

Obviously, when it is the six of us we sit at a 6 top.

We always request a table for 8. Meet new people and make lasting friendships. On the Solstice recently, we asked for a table for 8 got a table for 2 by the window. Great for honeymooners. Might have stayed with it but had a crotchety couple next to us that would have been difficult to handle for 1 week. Asked to be moved to a table for 8. No problem. Turned out that 2 of them showed up only 1 night than were seen in the buffet area several times. Another couple showed twice, spent rest of the time at the specialty rest. Remaining couple were fun and entertaining from South Florida. You never know who you can meet this way. Best of times IMO are at these large tables.

We agree with most of the replies - 6 to 8 work best for us.

We've met many life-long friends this way.

Our last two Mercury cruises were fantastic. On both 15 day trips we had a table for 8 with just three couples. It's the height of luxury to have the extra space.

We became good friends with all four couples, they really made our voyages special. I'm sure we'll be sailing with them again someday.

We've done tables for two and even though we are each others best friends, it gets boring. It's so much fun to find out what everyone did in port and other things.

Archived