Pizza

wrongwaywatson

This is really an unimportant thread, but I am curious. I keep reading posts of people raving about the pizza on the Princess ships. We have been on 4 cruises and have tried the pizza every cruise except the first and neither I nor my DH cared for it. After the first year we thought we had just gotten a piece that wasn't so good, so we tried it again. I thought it was greasy and bland. We love pizza usually, but didn't care for this at all. I was just curious if there were others, or are we crazy?:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on they type of pizza one likes. Since you are from the Chicago if you are looking for the "deep dish" kind you won't find that aboard Princess ships. We've never found the pizza to be greasy and the "blandness" depends on which type you order. You are correct, none of them are too spicy, but we find them very good non-the-less.

Actually I think this is a very interesting question, at least for me. I'm usually very picky about the pizza I like, and was skeptical about the ship's pizza the first time I tried it. I generally do not like think crust pizza at all.

I really like the pizza on Princess' grand class ships. It does have a tendency to be a bit greasy, but for whatever reason, I really enjoy the taste. I usually eat pizza for lunch every day on the cruise, and we get a couple of slices to take back to the room on our way in for the night. I really don't know how to explain it, but it works for me.

Normally I enjoy about any hamburger that gets served to me, but I have found that I don't care much for the ones they serve at the trident grill. I guess it all comes down to individual taste on all of these things.

Mike

I guess it depends on they type of pizza one likes. Since you are from the Chicago if you are looking for the "deep dish" kind you won't find that aboard Princess ships. We've never found the pizza to be greasy and the "blandness" depends on which type you order. You are correct, none of them are too spicy, but we find them very good non-the-less.

I'm actually about 2 1/2 hrs southwest of Chicago. However, I do love the deep dish pizza there. As for thin crust, I love Monicals thin crust and eat it often. I guess it does boil down to individual tastes. I just wondered if we were the only 2 people in the world who didn't like it!

We found, for our tastes, the best pizza has always been served on the Sun Class ships in the small inside pizza restaurants. They would make them according to your specifications and they weren't just mass produced. But the pizza by the pool is acceptable, and is OK for a snack, just not what we prefer.

The old Sky Princess had very good pizza, and Regal Princess also was good.

I didn't care for the pizza on Pacific Princess (new), thought it flavorless.

Taste is so very subjective.

Oh Yes, the Regal and Old Crown Princess had wonderful Pizza, and loved those views from the pizza restaurants. ;)

I thought the pizza by the pool would be set up like the inside pizza restaurants were.

Do they just put out different pizzas and serve you a slice? I like to pick my toppings,

but will eat any pizza put in front of me. The best pizza my family ever ate was so

greasy we had to keep wiping our chins, but the taste and texture were wonderful!

I used to hate thin crust, but now I prefer it. I'm looking forward to my first Princess

cruise in several years, and to the pizza.

I thought the pizza by the pool would be set up like the inside pizza restaurants were.

Do they just put out different pizzas and serve you a slice? I like to pick my toppings,

but will eat any pizza put in front of me. The best pizza my family ever ate was so

greasy we had to keep wiping our chins, but the taste and texture were wonderful!

I used to hate thin crust, but now I prefer it. I'm looking forward to my first Princess

cruise in several years, and to the pizza.

Nope, you stand in line and pick the slices you want, they put it on a plate and you find a table by the pool. Many times they have pepperoni, or plain cheese and one type of specialty pizza of the day.

Also being from the midwest & a cheesehead, I wonder if it was 100% real cheese or a "cheese-like substance" (more waxy than stringy). Aside from the crust & sauce that would have a definite impact on taste & texture! :D

The Ruby has the best pizza on any of the ships IMHO. They have new pizza ovens and a pizza chef. He will do special order pizzas but you need to give him enough time to get the ingredients.

I just wish the pizza station was open 24 hours like on Carnival. And I wish they made calzones like on Carnival.

The old Sky Princess had very good pizza, and Regal Princess also was good.

I didn't care for the pizza on Pacific Princess (new), thought it flavorless.

Taste is so very subjective.

Just off the Pacific. Totally agree with above statement.

Its always been my experience that any pizza tastes better when served floating around the Caribbean.

ETA: Same can be said for most adult beverages:D

I agree with you and might add that pizza as good as it is it tastes even better AFTER a few adult beverages (and I love Princess Pizza) :D

We like pizza -- thick crust, thin crust--doesn't matter. We found the pizza by the pool to be mediocre (at best). But the pizza served in the inside restaurant on the Dawn is in a class of its own--EXCELLENT! I would sail on the Dawn again just for the pizza!

Also being from the midwest & a cheesehead, I wonder if it was 100% real cheese or a "cheese-like substance" (more waxy than stringy). Aside from the crust & sauce that would have a definite impact on taste & texture! :D
It's real cheese. And, as I learned from the head chef a few days ago, the pasta dishes on Princess are made using olive oil; everything else is prepared using a soy vegetable oil.

IMHO, the pizza on Princess is excellent but then I was brought up on thin-crusted pizza as made in Italy.

I'm not too crazy about Princess's thin crust and I love thin crust. But it is just personal preference. I like my thin crust to be a little chewy. On the other hand, I love their fries.

Our first Princess Cruise, being an addict, the slices were truly wonderful. Nice & thin, hot & crisp. After the 4th cruise, the allure of getting that fabulous thin, hot, crisp piece to savor is gone but it's the tradition that remains. To be able to get a slice "on the fly" from one activity to the next - all the while as one poster said - while floating about the Caribbean is a treat indeed. Even that slice on the way to bed is special! So while every piece may not be the best I ever had, there's more to it than that for me. :D

I thought that the pizza on Grand was mediocre, however, when we were on Emerald it was excellent. The main difference that I can think of was that each time that we got pizza on Emerald it was very busy and we were getting pizza straight from the oven. I think that the thin crust gets soggy if it sits too long.

I guess we will have to try the pizza on the Star in 3 weeks. What a rough life.

Archived