We just got an upgrade!

msweeble1

We leave Sunday on the Star. I just checked my Travel summery again & we've been uprgaded to a mini-suite on the dolphin deck. Can anyone tell me about these rooms. Are the balconies covered,partially covered, or not covered? It really doesn't matter I am just curious. I'm so excited!

Debbie

We leave Sunday on the Star. I just checked my Travel summery again & we've been uprgaded to a mini-suite on the dolphin deck. Can anyone tell me about these rooms. Are the balconies covered,partially covered, or not covered? It really doesn't matter I am just curious. I'm so excited!
Completely uncovered, smaller than Caribe deck balconies. Mini-suites are nice as you have more room, larger bathroom with a tub/shower, and two TVs.

COngratulations to both upgrade recepients!

I keep hoping one day it'll happen to us.

Lemon-------fruit, Caribe deck cabins are my favorite kind of cabin to book. The large balconies are just great, as well as the fact that they are half covered.

Congratulations!

Mini suites are great. We had one on the Sun Princess last Feb' date=' however, everyone says the sun mini suite is equivalent to a suite on the larger ships.

Rooms with balconies are the only way to travel IMHO :D[/quote']Or a regular Balcony cabin on HAL or RCL

We were originally on Baja Cat.BC Now cat.AB

I'm sorta bummed about non covered but I'm ready for the bathtub & loveseat!!!

I have been on a few uncovered balconies and frankly does not bother us at all. Now when I am outside I just look up, wave and say hi to people and then everyone goes about their business. Since you are on the Star you are going to have great views of Alaska. Have fun and enjoy that mini-suite. You are going to love it.

Marilyn

I wouldn't worry about the uncovered balcony. People seem to think that if they have a cover over the balcony that they will have privacy, but that is not the case with most of the balconies on the grand class ships (except the Emerald deck balconies and those on the aft of the ship). Since the covered balconies on the upper decks can look down at the dolphin deck balconies, they don't have any privacy either since those on the dolphin deck can look up at them too. And as far a cover for rain goes, the entire balcony will quite often get wet when raining since rain rarely falls straight down and the ship is moving and creating winds. Unless it is a very deep covered balcony (and the cover on most of the balconies is only about 5 feet deep) you stand a good chance of getting wet if it is raining.

Does anyone know how it's determined who will be upgraded? Is it based on how many Princess cruises you've been on?

Thanks.

Many people here say that it's completely random, and many of the most-cruised people have never gotten an upgrade. We've been upgraded within the same main category (ov to ov and balcony to balcony) twice on Princess but never got a major upgrade, as in inside to ov or such.

Congrats!! May I ask a question? What was your original category & deck?

I think we were originally classified as "BA" and now are "BH", or I might have that turned around. Anyway, the last time I called Princess I ask the person what my upgrade actually meant as far as cabins. She said we went up 7 levels! And, the higher you go the better the location. ? ? ?

She said we went up 7 levels! And, the higher you go the better the location. ? ? ?

That is a matter of personal opinion. To Princess a higher deck is better than a lower deck and the center of a deck is better than fore or aft.

Some people agree with this and some do not. Some feel there is less motion on lower decks. Some like the balconies better which are fully covered which may not be the case on the higher decks.

As much as I enjoy my balcony cabin, when we first started cruising I always booked the lowest midship outside cabin because I was so afraid of getting seasick on the higher decks. I really liked looking out at the water hearing the swishing water sounds from ship. Our first balcony was on the Riveria deck and I was a litte aprehensive but had no problem with the little bit of motion we occasionally felt. Once you have a balcony no matter where it is for me it would be hard to go back to a cabin without one.

Does anyone know how it's determined who will be upgraded? Is it based on how many Princess cruises you've been on?

Thanks.

The main rule is: There are no rules, when it comes to upgrades. It seems (from years of reading about those who received upgrades) that those with more Princess cruises receive the fewest (if any) upgrades. Where as someone new to Princess actually has a better chance.

Also, the lower the category you book, the better chance to be upgraded, as there is no where to go but UP. But it still comes down to many factors. First of all, the luck of the computer draw. Then, how full your sailing is and if the cruise line needs more of the category you actually booked, if this happens, they will upgrade some passengers to leave room for more that booked that type of stateroom.

All in all, there are no set rules to who may be upgraded and who may not, and you never know when an upgrade may occur. And one of the best rules of all, you can NEVER count on being upgraded. So, it's best to book 'at least' the lowest category you will be comfortable in, and don't count on getting a better one complimentary. If it happens, what a wonderful surprise, if it doesn't then you aren't disappointed. ;)

22 Princess cruises for us, and the only true upgrade we have ever received was on our very first Princess cruise. (A true upgrade to me is one that takes you from one category to a higher one, such as outside to balcony, balcony to mini suite) Not an upgrade within the category you actually booked, inside to a higher inside, balcony to a higher priced balcony.

Archived